Midnyte's Chrysler GH Turbo Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Midnyte

Re: Midnyte's Chrysler GH Turbo Scorpion

Post by Midnyte »

Hi Guys

Its been a while!!! Here are a few Pic of what I have been up to!! first two coats of colour still a long way to go!!! Modified the Bonnet scoop to look a little better.

By midnyteg at 2012-07-12
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

nice work there mate....i like the metal work on the support beam for the bonnet scoop....blends in nicely
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Painting is not easy at all...... The colour is "Carbon Bronze Pearl" Body work has to be straight as or it shows. still a long way to go but it is looking sweet. WORK HARD!

Here is a pic of the engine bay after I replaced some of the hoses to silicone. This was taken before the paint started. Since it has had a turbo cover put on.

Still to come Lowered Suspension, New Brakes set up, Tinted windows, Upholstery on the seats and rear completed. Of course she is stripped at the moment so I will Post as I put it back together.
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Did a little work on the weekend. Underbody work. Stonegaaurd & then Sound Deadener. Pics

Stone Guard.

Sound Deadener.

Filed the edge out on the Turbo Vents.

then I soda blasted them.

A Bit of Pollish.

Still Got More work to do. Good result.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Why are you running (what looks like) a BW diff ??

Cheers.
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

My Brother was the one that put that diff in. It is welded & seems to be holding up alright. In the future I would like to put a geard locker in it. I will do some research and work out what I want to do to the undercarige. At the present it has not really been touched & is in dire need of attention.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Thought you might have swapped in a commodore center and axles or something.

Like your choice of colour. Should make it stick out from the crowd.

Cheers.
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Did some sound deadning work on the weekend ready for the sound install.

Pulled tha dash apart ready to Have another attemp...

Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Got my steering wheel & boss kit in the mail yesterday. Just had to have a bit of a look....

Cabon Fibre matches the Carbon Bronze Pearl Paint.
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Its been a while since i have posted. Have go allot of work done and allot of work to do. Here is a photo of the boot install.
Alpine amp for the main speakers, Arc Audio amp for the 2 x alpine r type 10 inches in the custom fibre glass box. Completed the install myself. Was not easy and took about two weekends in total including making the box. Over all cost of materials was $250 not including the audio equipment.

Here is a picture of the dash work that I completed. Recovering the dash was a task and a half. found a whole bunch of wiring that was not needed when I rewired all of the dash wiring.

Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

you have a clearer shot of the dash?????

i'm planning on re-upholstering mine...i wanna see how you've gone about it

btw....the car looks tops
1979GE

Post by 1979GE »

Man this thing is sick!!! Awesome scorpion!! Great color too!!
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

The dash was pulled back to steel, then I used the same sound deadner material and built up the lows with layers until I got the shape I wanted. Then I put two complete layers over that. Then I sprayed it with contact adhesive and covered the dash with a good grade vinyl. The vinyl is a little tricky as it stretches one way good but the other way crap, so you have to line it diagonally to get good stretch. It also helps if you have your lower parts of your dash installed so you can get the shape to match the lower parts of the dash. Overall it was not to expensive in materials and from what I learnt this time I could do a better job next time. Good luck if your going to give it a go. You could always rip it Off if you don't like it. So give it a go. Oh and the two vents that go in place...when you cut the holes for them make sure you do it at full stretch because if you don't when you do stretch the vinyl the holes will stretch past the vents...makes it look like you have cut the holes too big. Good luck
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah never done the dash board.....it was in fairly good nick when i had the car.

But I have done just about every other component in the interior......it looked OK for a 1st timer.....but now that I have a much better grasp of what to do.......the job will be 10x better......more professional looking

This was my 2nd attempt at the sunvisors

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 129#p81190
SS16MA

Post by SS16MA »

ever heard of mad max :thumpsup:
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

OK So I finally decided to take the Scorpion out of the shed. Gave it a wash and took some photos. It has to go in to get the chairs and interior done soon. I still have a few things to complet before that. Anyway check out the pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Lookin Great Mate :thumpsup:

Nice colour too suits it really well! Dosent look like u will get any road noise either... :lol:
Cheers Ben
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Shots of the interior...Just slowly getting through it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

Any more progress on the injectors and getting more more boost in her? :P looks good, bonnet isnt my thing but you have done a great job on the car.

TUFSIG
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

WOW!!! that is tidy!! great work mate. :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Currently I have not made any progress on the Injectors. I have a 2 stage boost Controller that is set to 6 pound and 10 pound and I actually drive her around on the 6 pound more often then not. She runs smooth with no problems on reliability. Putting more boost into her would be just too tempting and I really want to protect what licence I have left. She has enough power that she slides no worries, especially with the locked diff. I am trying to concentrate on getting things like the rubbers on the suspension and the brakes completed before I put anymore boost into her. I have wound the boost up on the contoller and given it a little bit (Boy was that fun) but I am just worried about leaning it out and dont want to cause any damage. Injectors in the future.....Brakes and Rubbers first!
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Well...Its been Toooooo Long...I finally decided to Remove the excessive collection of crap that had hidden the scorpion in the shed. Whooooo there is actually a car under all this. Couple of dents and scratched. The paint has Cracked. Some issue with how we painted it in the middle of winter in a cold shed. Well you live and learn. Finally after about 2 hours of removalist work....I pushed the scorpion out of the shed. Current State. 3 Flat tyres, No battery, No battery clamp, Non existent Brakes, Exhaust Rubbers at the back need doing. Steering play, No Brake lights working, Fuel gauge not working, window windy clip broken, windows were left down. dusty, dirty. So.. I went down and Got a battery for her...pumped up the tyres and took her for a drive... I Finally remembered how much I love this car! I removed the tyres and have stripped the brakes. Dropped the oil. Fixed the coolant Leak. I get the brake parts Back Today. to reinstall. The plan in to get it drivable again...and DRIVE IT. I have paid too much rego on this car just sitting in the shed. It time to revive and remember why this is the only car I ever kept. found out the diff is from a commodore. at least that's what the guy fixing the rear callipers is telling me. Don't really have a lot of Money to spend....That's why its remained in the shed for so long. So Hopefully not too much goes wrong with it. too many time I have been asked about this...with only poor excuses for replays. Photos will come in the following days. I'm really hoping that this time it gets finished and not...entered back into the who can keep the car in the shed for the longest competition. I know that once I'm driving it again..it will need further "Safety Required Upgrades" At least that's what I will tell my wife! Tinted Windows. They are a safety requirement... I swear.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hey, if you're a 'Rangaroo' (red headed aussie) like myself, tinted windows are a must!!!! :thumpsup:
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Ok. So I need Help. The diff has been pulled apart. (Heavy Shuddering), so I got twisted axles from it being welded and the centre is...Bad...need to sort it.
Ideally I would like to put in an LSD Centre and just replace the axles. However finding parts in the south west has been hard. A List off Diffs that would bolt in would be good. If Anyone has a contact in South Western Australia that has a 1980 GH Scorpion or Sigma diff, Basically need a replacement. So any Idea's for Easy replacements would be Great. Thanks Heaps.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Later Scorpion centres will bolt straight into the standard GH housing. The bolt holes in the pinion flange are larger, but you could easily swap the flange on the tailshaft to suit. I'm pretty sure the axles are exactly the same too, as there were no changes in the rear track.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Chris, unless he has changed it, Midnyte was running a welded BW diff. The Jap axles and diff center won't fit, as far as I know.

Cheers..
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Correct. It Is A BW diff. Welded is the reason its......>No good.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Ah ok. When I read that he was looking for an LSD centre I jumped the conclusion it was a jap diff and he was after an EX Lancer LSD.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

I also believe that the JB Starions, and some L300 4WD's had a LSD center that fits the 10 bold Jap diff.

Cheers.
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Hi All. The car is Now FOR SALE. I got a Final Edition Lancer Evo and Just don't have Room for both Cars.