JV's GK Scorp AKA Bitsamissing

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
jvflash

JV's GK Scorp AKA Bitsamissing

Post by jvflash »

Okay so I had another post which was wordy and had no pictures. Here is the story in pictures:

I bought this Scorp on ebay and drove it home registered - only problem no top gear, or so I thought...

It was being sold with what was decsribed as minor damage, and when I called I was told by the seller "much like you would expect in a carpark"...

The interior was demolished and the rear seat floor well up to 10cm above the seat squab was full of McDonalds and KFC wrappers, Jim Beam and Red Bull Cans...

So I bought another Scorp as spares for twice as much as this one! It had a great motor, excellent transmission, straight chromework and other nice bits, unfortunately it was structurally a wreck.

Alarm now fitted, dashboard from Melbourne wreckers installed, original radio and tape deck installed and working.

Took the family on a cruise the other night and all agreed it can be our new "Dad's old car". :D Love that car!
Last edited by jvflash on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jvflash

Re: GK Scorp Project

Post by jvflash »

Now I either need to find a good driver's seat or have this one retrimmed...oh yeah and thousand hours of bodywork (for both me and the car)! :P
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Since my last post I have now refitted the interior with good trim, fixed up rear suspension and done other bits and pieces.

My eldest daughter has now informed me that when she gets her license the Scorp will be her car to drive....NICE :blah:

When I first got the car with the wiring hanging out, full of rubbish and leaking oil she wouldn't go near the thing, maybe should have left it like that.

Anyways the youngest daughter says now "she is happy to share the car with her sister if she has too". :banh:

Looks like I will need to be buying another Scorp in the next couple of years (nudge, wink).
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey buds,at least your kids have chosen a real car to want to get around in.. :lol:
you started on the bodywork yet? from the pics theres a few dents here and there but overall its not that bad..good starter?what are your plans now motor wise?as the kids want it now :\
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Hey mate, haven't started body work yet, still have a couple of years to get that done I guess.

I have a spare motor and trans from the donor car so will do a standard rebuild on both, keep it simple, keep them safe.

They now consider the Scorp officially "cool" and are happy for it to be parked at their High School for drop off and pick up - even in its current condition.

Youngest daughter wants the Scorp flourescent green (limejuice is the name of the actual colour). I have no problem with that so long as I have another Scorp to drive by then (H)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

If you run with a bright green of any type, you will be needing an awesome set of wheels to set that off.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

So my standard square wheels not good enough then :P
HEMI26

Post by HEMI26 »

nice to see a family of scorp lover's :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: well done

gotta say bright green car needs nice WHITE wheels goes the treat :P my 2 cents
Current Cars
-GJ Scorpo Turbo (Current Project)
-VQ SV90 #098 (Finished)
-74 RX3 12A Coupe (13B Extend Port)
-HR31 Passage GT (New daily) 4 Sale inbox for details

Some Old cars
-RX8
-VQ (Slammed on 19's)
-GL Scorpo (Immac std 58000ks)
-GK Scorpo N/A H/C (RIP 146.8rwhp)
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

I went looking for a 2nd Scorp for the girls and found this Scorp in Maryborough Vic...so went and picked it up yesterday. Okay so it was 14 hours of driving return trip, but the adventure is half the fun of the project.
Image.

I gave it a wash, replaced the rear light and swapped over the ditributor, now it's a runner that needs a bit of rust fixed. Also gonna fit my spare power steering set up so its easier for the girls to drive.ImageImage
Thanks to Shifta for the rear bumper, not why I originally bought it but worked out a treat. I could now do with those Scorp doors you had on offer... :P It has the rear applique but I haven't wired the tow bar yet so have noy refitted the applique.

Now according to the seller she bought it new in about 1983/4 (it is a 1982 GK model though). It has done 242,000klm and she sold it because it didn't go anymore and it had been on the front lawn for 18 months doing nothing.
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Back to working on the red Scorp the white Scorp can wait its turn.

Instead of repainting I spent two days cutting, polishing and waxing and made the car look heaps better.

Add to that fixing the starter motor problem, changing the fuel lines, radiator hoses and power steering pump it is now a daily driver proposition... I think :thumpsup:

jvflash

Post by jvflash »

jvflash wrote:Looks like I will need to be buying another Scorp in the next couple of years (nudge, wink).
Should have kept my mouth shut. Yes I bought another Scorp from gkskidma94 on this site. Yellow GH.
Had a quick look over it, replaced front pads, brake fluid, oil, filters (fuel, oil, air), registered and insured it.
It needs mufflers, steering wheel, power steering (OMG it is so heavy) and the obvious paint and panel repairs!

So here is a picsof my fleet of Scorps:

Red Scorp is now a donor vehicle.
Yellow Scorp under cover waiting for Red Scorp to be finished.
White Scorp out the front loweing local house values. :hit:
Last edited by jvflash on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tubby

Post by tubby »

take the screw out of the top of your steering box and squirt a couple o hundred mls of gearbox oil in it, see if it is easier to steer. improved mine dramatically
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Thanx Tubby, are you talking gearbox oil 80W90 or auto trans oil, the red stuff? Because I will be giving it a go.
Doesn't help the Scorp has obvious positive camber so a wheel align will help as well.
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

They dont look to bad of condition, Can see why you wanted the parts, have one of the yellow scorpion myself. But you only have three of them.
Just picked up two 81 scorpions this weekend making the grand total of fourteen. Any body need any thing one is going to be striped out this week, body is completely shot.
Last edited by scorpioncollector on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubby

Post by tubby »

you have a PM scorpion collector
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

When street is the home for at least one scorp and the caravan, I am limited in the number of Scorps I can have. Otherwise I would be collecting more.
tubby

Post by tubby »

I used manual gearbox oil 80W - 90 on my steering box, people have suggested a teaspoon of grease too but I wasn't game
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

So it is about time I got serious about making one of these cars a good daily driver. So the motor out of the Red Scorp has made it to the engine stand for a rebuild.

Started buying up replacement parts online.

Going to use the cylinder head I received from Damian. (if you read this damian the rocker cover would still be nifty please (A) )
Last edited by jvflash on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubby

Post by tubby »

how far are you going with the rebuild flashy?
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

I would like to replace the AU Falcon as my daily driver. So rings, bearings, timing chain, balance shaft removal kit, carby overhaul, extractors, and the good condition cylinder head. Then I need to fit the reco power steering box as well. That will get the red Scorp on the road, then I will do the same for the yellow Scorp fitting power steering from the silver Scorp I scuttled.
tubby

Post by tubby »

could you keep the part number for the rings bearings and gasket kit? I will be reuilding the panno astron 2 soon and would like to be armed with the correct part numbers to take retard auto part store error out of the equasion
damian

Post by damian »

jvflash wrote: Going to use the cylinder head I received from Damian. (if you read this damian the rocker cover would still be nifty please (A) )
done
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

The balance chain adjuster warn through the metal.
However there is still hone marks in the bores and they look perfect. Looks like it could be as simple as chains and valve stem seals...woohoo :D

jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Just had the afternoon from hell. :banh:

I wanted to find out why the red scorp would not idle below 1500 rpm.
Took the air cleaner off and low and behold after 5 minutes at idle the choke is still full on??
Feel the hoses and both hoses from the carby to the manifold are stone cold, yet radiator burns to touch.
Hmm I thought, what if I just squeeze (not bend )the hose between my fingers and see if I can dislodge the blockage...
Snap, the hose, connector and part of the choke mechanism are now in my fingers.
Expecting a spray of now heated coolant, instead nothing comes out the hose or carburettor, both are bone dry and the radiator cap is on so the system is pressurised.
Turn the engine off, let it cool a bit and rummage in the shed for the spare carby, found that is still on the spare manifold.
Hmm I thought again don't want to change the manifold
Undo the carby bolts on the spare manifold they are stiff but they all loosen...beauty now I will just take the carby off the car.
Undo the second hose from the choke and the T piece on the manifold decides it will break in sympathy, oh yay.
Still the T piece in the spare manifold is almost new and still not wanting to change the manifold I start undoing the bolts on the carby
SNAP broken carby bolt in the manifold on the car.
By this time the girls have all left the house to do their own thing so swearing is now the order of the day.
Undo the manifold, fuel pump (and rocker cover so I could pull the fuel pump out) and some dumb bastard has siliconed the manifold gasket to the head, freaking idiots!!
So now I need to de-silicone and scrape gasket for the best part of half an hour.
Alright reassembly, and drop a nut, no problem I will use my extendable magnet.
Clunk, not the sound of the nut attaching itself to the magnet, but the magnet pulling free of the handle and attaching itself to become a new feature of the motor somewhere. So now I have an extendable stick, which is of little use .
All back together now and quite happily idling at 850rpm where it should be, but cannot go anywhere as I need to still replace the two coolant hoses that started all this as I can see they about to split. 8o|

Oh and where has all my transmission fluid gone?
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Good news, white scorp drives very nicely thank you.
So have cancelled insurance and rego on red scorp, transferring personal plates to white scorp and will be mobile in that soon.
Red scorp has now become a mobile shed, filled with Scorp parts.
Happy again :thumpsup:
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Great news, White Scorp now registered just need to fix exhaust leak and radiator leak :thumpsup:

crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

jvflash wrote:
jvflash wrote:Looks like I will need to be buying another Scorp in the next couple of years (nudge, wink).
Should have kept my mouth shut. Yes I bought another Scorp from gkskidma94 on this site. Yellow GH.
Had a quick look over it, replaced front pads, brake fluid, oil, filters (fuel, oil, air), registered and insured it.
It needs mufflers, steering wheel, power steering (OMG it is so heavy) and the obvious paint and panel repairs!

So here is a picsof my fleet of Scorps:

Red Scorp is now a donor vehicle.

Nice collection , man you've got your hands full sorting that lot out , best of luck with them cheers Chris
Yellow Scorp under cover waiting for Red Scorp to be finished.
White Scorp out the front loweing local house values. :hit:
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Just updating where I am at.

Red Scorp - well it was fun, but after feeling the chassis twisting has now been scrapped so it cannot be registered again and then sold to another forum member for parts. Yes I forgot to get the good bits off of it so I will be buying some parts back :banh:

White Scorp - Now regular driver, goes very nicely and I am loving the manual transmission. Wow I have missed changing gears :D

Yellow Scorp - tucked up in the shed for now (and probably for a little while to come) until I have time to fix it properly. :thumpsup:

jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Well I couldn't sell it so now it is going to become a bitsamissing, with parts from wherever I can score them. It won't look pretty, but it will be street legal and on the road again soon, I hope.

Item Condition: Rusty but registered. Was bought from original owner. Travelled about 260,000km. No smoke, starts, drives, currently has a misfire and has not been driven in months.

Pictures:
The original white drivers door will also be supplied.

I will post photos as progress is made...
jvflash

Re: JV's GK Scorp AKA Bitsamissing

Post by jvflash »

Okay, so with project Cupcake finished it is time to start project Bitsamissing.

Step 1 park it in position

Step 2 get it in the air

Step 3 get the guards off to replace them and check the chassis to see if it is worth saving

I have seen better, but this will suffice.