MY 72 GA G-LANT BUILD :)

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
geezer101

Re: MY 72 GA G-LANT BUILD :)

Post by geezer101 »

You'll get an upsize on your rear brakes too with the wagon diff swap. Use the rear springs as well- it'll stiffen up the ride. I used a set of wagon leaf springs in my LB lancer hatch. It did jack the rear up a bit but the improvement in handling was well worth it. Take all the 'u' shackles and bottom shocker mounting plates while you're at it too. Good stuff! :thumpsup:
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Picked it up today and it RUNS!!!! Not sure if I can bring myself to pull it apart but I have too many cars. May just chuck a new fuel pump and filter in it and take it to the end of the drag strip for a little run around the deep end. Love being friends with the caretaker :P But everything is great have 4 awesome tyres and the chrysler hub caps which I already have 3 sets of :P

Bit of rust here and there but I think it is a special edition?? How would I find this out?? is a 1600 4g32 but auto. :)

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sounds like a keeper.
What makes you think it is a special of some sort?
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

not really in the know with these but there is an lt above galant???

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Has it got a tacho in the dash? Base model had a blank panel in the instrument cluster, then there was the option of a clock (have a feeling fitted to auto's) or a tacho for manual trans.
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

pretty sure there is a clock no tacho..

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

it will be either a galant GL or XL, farily sure there wasnt any specail models in wagons, best would be a 4sp XL with better interior.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Sounds like a good stocker! GC-GD's are a better basis for modding. More space in the engine bay, and wagon's get even better with bigger rear brakes and thicker front stabiliser bar. The integral chassis rails have all the gearbox crossmember mounting holes set up with threaded inserts which opens up your transmission options without the headaches. If only I lived at the end of your street...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:it will be either a galant GL or XL, farily sure there wasnt any specail models in wagons, best would be a 4sp XL with better interior.
XL was the poverty pack, and GL was the one with better interior (like mine).
geezer101 wrote:Has it got a tacho in the dash? Base model had a blank panel in the instrument cluster, then there was the option of a clock (have a feeling fitted to auto's) or a tacho for manual trans.
XL's had the blank panel, black gauge surround plain door trims and plain cargo trims
GL's had the clock along with the wood grain dash, carpet strips on the bottom of the door trims and door trim style (press vinyl patterned) cargo trims.
No tacho was available in a wagon in Australia, also consoles were not fitted to the wagons (unless they were a GD auto).

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

will have a look in the morning. I have the original paperwork and service manual :) But here are some pictures anyways :)

Oh and had a visit from the original owner of the GA sedan today!! He found the old 1500 badges.. thinking of putting the 1600 ones on though since its been bored out :)

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Looks sweet. And the dash hasn't got the aftermarket split through the middle of it! You might get away with removing the body art with some turps and a bit of wax. Puff the magic wagon!
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

yeah thats what I think too... We had a good look at it and the fuel pump is gone but we drove it up into the yard just pouring fuel in intermittently. Good thing I got 2 when I bought the sedan :)
But the paint looks like even just a bit of wet dry paper and a good quality polish should get it out. Few spots of rust but no holes thank god!! Have a 14year old boy who comes over to help us out with working in the shed and helping with cars and stuff and he took a liking to it today so gonna give it to him for his bday. Just need a drivers side front indicator lens and some seat belts and general clean along with the fuel pump and it is good to go :) Even roady tyres on it :P

I was considering pinching this dash but I found a GC sedan that has the dash in tact so gonna use that one coz mine is pretty cactus :l

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Oh and another PLUS PLUS PLUS.. Saw the original owner today (with the badges) but he also mentioned that the blue sedan towed a massive boat from victoria not a problem at all. He has a few bits and pieces tyres and tow ball that I have to pick up and gonna give him some cash :)
But he has some original?? stone guards for the sides and some huge 2inch ones (rally??) which I think the young bloke might want for the wagon. hopefully we can get two awesome cars out of three (and it looks like the gc bonnet which hasn't been attached properly since the guy picked it up could be off a ga *fingers crossed* and might even be a front right guard in the wreckers shed at his house xD

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Did a little work while waiting bit of cut and polish on the roof...

Some paint thinners and an old cloth nappy on the bonnet...

Got rid of half the 3 took about 5 mins but she looks great.. oh and did the grill bit at the top of the bonnet too.. :)

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

oh and the wagon is for sale now too.. will post in the for sale section. Young fella doesn't want it..

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

72GalantGirl wrote:oh and the wagon is for sale now too.. will post in the for sale section. Young fella doesn't want it..
What's wrong with him?
Have you shown him pics of ones that are done up? (Mine and rx22nv's for example)

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

yup... he is only 14 and I dont think he gets it. He wants a skyline. I said to him he could put whatever engine in it he wants but meh.... Thinking about listing it on ebay as well but not really sure how much to put on it coz i am in north queensland. It will be running and clean inside and out and I think with a tiny bit of work ready for rego :O

My partner was thinking of keeping it for a sound off car instead of his d21 navara and putting the ca18det into it but I would like it to go to someone who loves them :P

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Waaaaaahhh! I'm too far away to relieve it from you. Tell your son if he doesn't take it you'll buy him a BARINA. And notthe suzuki rebadge either! 8o|
A112H

Post by A112H »

One of the new Holden badged Daewoo's, lmoa. I can not believe how many of them I see on the raod, all driven by people who would never buy a Daewoo but are stupid enough to think it is a different car because it has a Holden badge on it :lol:
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

nah not my son just a young bloke who helps us every now and then lol... Hope someone will take it and love it!!

mrgrims

Post by mrgrims »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 0304532186

Just saw this photo of your GA interior and its got a HOLDEN GEMINI gear stick surround lol
i was looking at it and thinking i have seen heaps of those.... i only have owned like 7 gemini's lol
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

HAHA finally someone could tell me! I thought it looked really out of place! Thanks lol. Gonna still use it helps alot, gonna modify it though so it suits the rest of the car! :)

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

WOO Diff is kinda sorta out of the wagon and ready for mine (Will be all buttoned up on friday)

Waiting for the tank to come back from stainless customs (fixing the rusty and bent edges then).

Soon it will be time to sand, sand , sand once more!!! I CAN'T WAIT.. HAHA!
Progress has been slow and stead but the GD wagon is off to the scrappers friday morning. My partner is currently cutting it up into little pieces and putting it in the demo derby car ready for the scrappers. Engine and gearbox is staying now apparently and a few other things but still have pretty much the whole car but the shell :)

Better get back to it!!

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Woo... I have a functioning diff... but barely any internet service.

But I have come to a problem. When changing the diff to the GD wagon one and attempting to fit tailshaft IT DOESN'T FIT!!! Arrrr.

So can anyone tell me which way to go. The diff from the wagon is from an auto and mines a manual (not that it really matters) But the tailshaft in mine is about 2 inches too long (wagon one is 3 inches too long).Please help.

Going to ring around monday and see what can be done but not sure if I want to permanently shorten it..

Cheers.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Got measurements of the 2 you have, and the one you need?

Dave...
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Measurements from end of shaft to end of shaft
Wagon tailshaft is 117 cm
Sedan 115cm
Needed about a 110cm ish.
Both yokes are the same lenght just different for man and auto obviously lol.

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Woooooooooooooo IT DRIVES UP AND DOWN THE ROAD!!!!! Diff from the GD Wagon and Tailsafte from a GD Sedan... Just gotta get new brake lines as mine are shattered anf clean out the fuel lines and she will be a beauty.
Then 2 weeks from now once my mates 31 is out of the way she goes back up the side for the body work. Might actually be done by christmas time!! :)

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

AHHHHHH...... So I am pulling the dash apart today and had all the screws out ready to go and I touched the dash surround and it BROKE :l
The actual cluster clear plastic is broken as well. This plastic is so brittle.

But going to the plastic welding place to see what they can come up with today... Back to the wiring I suppose.

72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Well, can't fix the dash or the glovebox so there goes that idea....

Getting a new dash cluster from a fellow SGer! And going to get Stainless customs to make me a new glovebox insert in the next few weeks!! yay.. Just need to sort out the brake lines then its off to have a few things added and hopefully a few weeks from now should be at least in full primer and paint inside and out. More pics to come eventually :)

mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

great progress!! :)
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"