Cottees' 1980 Chrysler Celeste Lancer LC GT A73M Resto

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75glnt

Re: Cottees' 1980 Chrysler Lancer LC GL A73M Resto

Post by 75glnt »

cool :) looks like one of the coils out of my pathfinder. from the angle in the pic anyway. how did the springs go on the front after the engine was in for a while? i guess my question is. did the springs come back down once the engine was in for a bit?

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The front end of the car has come down a little in the last week or 2. Should settle a bit more once I start driving it.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Cottees wrote:
75glnt wrote:what's the coil?
I'll have to look have a look when I am with the car again. It was just a coil that came with the car and engine.
It's a Bosch GT40R/T for electronic ignition. :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

oh wow. its different! i have the standard looking gt40r in my galant. i have the xr3000 ign. will it not work?
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yeah, these are the type replacing the old school oil can coils. The transformer coils that Bosch sell now are red for points ignition and black for electronic igntion. BTW they have a savage bite and leave the oil can coils for dead performance wise 8-)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

awesome! how much are they? i am looking at the ps91 or lx91.
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

They're not cheap - if I remember they're around $60ish but they are worth every cent. The red Bosch GT40R transformer coil I have has seen 3 tours of duty and has been brilliant. I'd never waste my time with the old coils ever again.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

lo, its pretty cheap. im looking at 140 for the ps91 or 90 for the lx91. might just try the same as cottees (black gt40r). cheers mate
N/A ALL THE WAY
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

There has been a little more progress, but I'll post up an earlier vid I forgot to post. This is how fast the engine was turning over with the stock wiring to the starter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1ZgquXrvU

Now the exhaust is in and just about done. Now I can drive past the Holden Hill Cop Shop without rattling their windows. Almost all the emissions gear is reconnected, and just have a little more to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-pog_o3Ik

Currently it is just idling on 91RON, but will switch it out for 95RON before taking it for a drive next week.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Is it just me or did you forget to bolt the fan on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuzDm5u ... ure=relmfu.. :P

Good to see the LC going.

Cheers.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

LOL. The worst I have done is starting a car up after adjusting the valves, not realising that I still had a ratchet attached to the front pulley. Almost shit myself when it started straight up with the most horrible rattling sound i have ever heard. Poor ratchet was working overtime as the handle couldn't turn, but the socket was doing around 800rpm.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Superscan811 wrote:Is it just me or did you forget to bolt the fan on?
lol, yep. The fan was just placed on the pulley at that stage. Thought it was funny when I saw it fall off, so I kept the video.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Everything is just about done, so just doing the little things in prep for registration next week.

The windscreen washer nozzles are working REALLY well.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Got some of the little things finished on the LC today. 84GKSIG backed her up onto the ramps with ease. A couple things under the car that needed to be taken care of was a knocking exhaust, work out why the reverse lights and petrol gauge was not working, and to re-attach some fuel vapour hoses that had been disconnected at one stage, and not reconnected.

The view from under the car while I was checking out the reverse light switch.

This is the only explanation of how the LC had so much power to get up on those ramps.

All that is left now is some tidying up, and to put some PULP98 into it. At the moment it only has RON 91 in the tank, and it starts to ping at around 3k-4krpm.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Pic of the LC getting ready for the second test run. The front end has lowered a little, and the suspension is starting to settle.

During today's bug checking, I finally went through the entire carbie and got the jet sizes etc:

Dell'Orto DHLA 40 G
Choke : 32
Aux Venturi : 7848.3
Idle Jet: 58
Main Jet: 145
Main Emulsion Tube : 7772.10
Air Corrector : 240
Cold Start Jet : 80
Cold Start Emulsion Tube : 7482.3

Trying to work out why the engine would rev, then start to die, I pulled out the jets, etc. to look for blockages. Looks like something in the foot pump was blocked. That fixed a problem, but not the main problem. 84GKSIG suggested pulling out the main jets to see what would happen. It ended up running exactly how it was before. So it looked like the problem was the progression from idle to main jets. Just as something to try, I tried unscrewing the main jets a little, and see what that did. 84GKSIG started the engine, gave it a rev, and it revved unexpectedly straight up to 5krpm. 84GKSIG took it for a drive around the block (I didn't drive it this time since bunny hopping wasn't going to be a good test). Ran well. Started to pull hard at 2krpm, and quite powerful at 4.5krpm. Still trying to work out why the main jets decided to work when unscrewed a little, we tried blocking up the air correction, and try again. With it blocked up a little, it ran well again. Unblocked it, and still ran well. The conclusion we came to was that there could have been a blockage, and having the main jets unscrewed a little, it unblocked it.

Now with that issue out of the way, there is pretty much just the reversing lights to fix, then can get her on the road for daily driving, not just for testing.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Another day, more stuff fixed, more issues pop up. Got the reverse lights working properly, and 84GKSIG fixed up the exhaust. Everything seemed to be going ok, so we decided to drive up to Parafield just for the hell of it. Got a little over half way there, around 10km, and the front brakes started to be stupid. They were squealing a bit, so I decided to turn back to 84GKSIG's place. After pulling apart the driver's side hub and brake callipers, it looks like the calliper piston was seizing. Once it was all back together, it all started working properly, but was then too late for another drive. Got a total of 20km of driving done today though. Once the carbie is tweaked, and my manual driving skills return, it should be all good.

I also cleaned up the interior a little more, and looks much better.

Still think the green back light on the gauges look awesome.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

More work on the Lancer today. There was crap in the carbie bowl, so took it off, and flushed it out. This is what was found above the foot pump.

Left is petrol that came out of the carbie, right is what it should look like.

With the carbie clean and running better, it was on to the head lights, the last thing to fix. Even with 84GKSIG and Siri's help, had no luck pinning down and fixing the issue.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees wrote:With the carbie clean and running better, it was on to the head lights, the last thing to fix. Even with 84GKSIG and Siri's help, had no luck pinning down and fixing the issue.
What is the issue with the headlights?

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Superscan811 wrote:What is the issue with the headlights?
Parkers work, high beams work, but no low beam.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Do the come on when switching from high to low or low to high ie:both HIGH and LOW beams would be on when you pull back on the leaver?

I had this issue with a GE sigma MANY years ago and it ended up being the relay.

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

For the headlight issue, 84GKSIG and I just ran a new dedicated earth for them. Everything still works which is good.

For the carbie issue, and it not progressing properly, think there was a couple issues. First was timing. That seems to be spot on now. Will progress properly when free revving, and splutters a little when actually driving. That leads to the next issue that has popped up. At idle it is now starting to ping on cylinder 1 and 4. Seems the cause is those cylinders are leaning out. Because the left side of the Dell'Orto feeds 1 and 4, and the right feeds 2 and 3, it makes it a little easier to narrow down the issue. Tried a couple things, but to no avail. Since I only did a partial tear down and clean, there might still be crap inside the carbie.

So that is what was done today. Seems like there was crap on the left side around the gallery between the idle and main jets, so I suspect that was the issue.

Also used 84GKSIG's inspection camera to check out the pistons etc. to diagnose the pinging issue.

The crap that came out of the carbie during this clean.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Finally got the Lancer running and driving without problems. I mounted the camera on the dash, and took her for another drive around the block.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLnzMw9XDZU

The final carbie setup.

I put on the timing chain cover cover from a Magna.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

dont mind my messy as all hell shed in the video, ill get around to it one day :thumpsup:
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

wew gg cottees. so it drives now you must feel proud aye. hows it go with the 2l i noticed you hit seconds in it
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Yeah, definitely glad to have it running. The carbie doesn't seem to be 100% still, but if I can't get it going perfectly by fiddling around with it, I'll take it into get tuned properly.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Damn Lancer! She went and Titanic'd on me! Maiden voyage to work, and she started a little better than I expected for being 8C outside. Went of for a couple minutes. Then wouldn't get to 80, then struggled for 60, then could barely do 20 while I limped her home. Once I got her home, I think I found the issue. Looks like the petrol might be dirty and has clogged the filters. The petrol in the bowl was clean, but low. :facepalm:
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

How old is the fuel in the tank ?

It's a PITA, but it would probably be worth removing the tank & giving it a good "slosh around' with fresh fuel & emptying it out .... and blowing out the fuel lines with compressed air.

(just as an aside .... a tip a friend passed on to me for cars that have been sitting a while and end up with a bit of condensation inside the tank - if you put a cup of metho into the tank, the water will dissolve in the metho then get burned with the fuel)
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

I have a similar fuel problem with my lancer. Tried to start it the other day but the fuel is heaps dirty and not getting to the filter. I'm going to drain and flush the tank and see if that helps. Also think I have a blocked fuel line too so ill have to have a good look at it....... One day :p
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It's been sitting for a long time Cottees, was bound to happen (but doesn't make it suck any less...) Not a catastrophic fail, but it looks like you're going to be busy for a few hours purging and cleaning the entire fuel system. Bugger :banh: