76 Colt Galant Coupe

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
geezer101

Re: 76 Colt Galant Coupe

Post by geezer101 »

Now it looks like you're after the headlight bucket mounts, buckets and headlight trim rings...never ends. But you'll be getting a lot of attention from curious guys asking "What is that? ;-)
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Yeah, especially after I get the GC tails mounted as well.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

You know, the sad thing is probably very few people in the US will notice. Not exactly a hotbed of old Mitsu love here. Now, if it was a Datto 1600 with bluebird tails and grill, you would have to keep a towel handy to wipe all the drool off. I went to a local meet a month ago and took my coupe with the GS gauges and only 1 person asked why the dash looked different. Probably lucky 1 guy noticed.

Mark
A112H

Post by A112H »

It isn't that much better here Mark. My hardtop will be full GSII spec and no one outside this website will ever notice, lol.
I am pretty sure mine will be one of 2 in the country with the GSII tail lights and the only one with the badges and still it will get very little attention, I do kinda like that though :)
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

True, but even in stock form I've gotten the occasional person that knows what it is or like the other day I was going to work and one of the base cops said "Hey! I haven't seen one of these since I was a kid". It would be nice if they were more popular, but at the same time it's a nice break from all the dattos and yotas around these parts.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

+1 :thumpsup:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

picked up the trans yesterday, got a set of wheels/tires while I was at it, couldn't resist free good shape stockers! The wheels have those clip on dish things on them, makes them look shiny now :lol:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
tripp

Post by tripp »

how is the build going any new pictures? :thumpsup:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Had been super busy with work this pretty much got put on hold, but I'll make sure to take pics this coming week as I can finally get to work on it. Just acquired a Evo 8 intake manifold from a friend, so that will be here soon! The manifold just requires a little modding (cutting off the flange and welding a early g63 flange on), then it will bolt up fine!
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Acquired a Evo 8 intake manifold off one friend and picking up a intercooler from another this weekend. Core dimensions 20"x7.75"x3.5"

Should fit fine behind the Coupe Grill. :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Narrowbody Hilux Rear end - Rear Disc Conversion in the future, sometime way after the car is on the road again, drums can stay till then!

Front case I will be rebuilding instead of dealing with the one originally off the motor, more than likely the stock one would be like the rest of the vr4, snapping bolts left and right..

Gears are in pretty good shape.

Radiator should be here between Friday and Feb 25th, Evo 8 Intake manifold and Timing belt will be here Thursday. Radiator is a Griffin Dual Core Aluminum with specs 22x13x2.5

Spearco FMIC 20x7.75x3.5 and Starion Clutch Pedal
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Shiny
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

MMMM, I like shiney (H)
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Hilux rear is close to being a bolt on and go, but not close enough. Had to cut the leaf mounts off the axle then going in the morning to a fab shop to get some universal mounts as I got to reposition the axle to sit evenly and centered (sits too far forward.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

If you are getting mounts fabbed up, get them taller and lower the car all in one hit :thumpsup:
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

There's a shop that makes universal axle to leaf mounts for $20 a pair

EDIT: Here's a pic of them, they fit 2 1/2" Axles.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Held off on welding the leaf shackles till after I get the front end sorted out, need to get the trans sorted before we can finish the rear as far as figuring out Pinion angle of the differential for the future driveshaft.

Bye bye 4g32

Brakes are going to be a problem for me, How much different is it running non boosted brakes? Pedal feel?
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

:mad: Jealous. Took me months to get mine to fit in the damn engine bay. But I'm silly and kept the stock CAS :lol:
Looking great!

I'm running a booster and the pedal feel is already not brilliant. It's not bad by any measure but it still requires a bit of muscle.
I think other people have swapped in brake boosters from other cars and modified the fittings to bolt on the original master cylinder (may have even swapped those around)
I don't know what they used but it's an avenue to consider, there's plenty of room for a larger diameter booster so If you can find one thats flatter, there may be a way to make it work.
I think I saw it being done on projectzerog.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Someone on here swapped in a GVR4 boosted setup, I thought? Don't know which VR4 they used, but they used one of them.

Tj, This head doesn't have the CAS on it yet, but I do have the studs installed, so I know the CAS will clear. My booster clears, it's the master with all it's crazy crap stuff that hangs off of it that doesn't allow most stuff to clear. Don't be jealous, Your car and Jason's have been motivation to get going on mine, I just took forever getting most of my parts together.

My actual block is awaiting oil pump, water pump, timing stuff, gaskets and pulleys currently, that motor in there is so we can get the driveline and all things clearance related figured out...like the intake lol. :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Intake and a turbo mocked up (14b in this case lol)

As you can see the master cylinder would have been in the way.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Oh and "massaging" the tunnel to fit the new trans is not going to be an option, cutting the tunnel from inside the car will prove to be more efficient than beating with a mallet (which will take forever considering how small the KM110 is to the R154 lol :lol:.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

Was yours a factory manual car Tim? They had much smaller tunnels than the automatics, seems silly really not to just use the same componants across the range.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Yes, this car was a manual car, it had the km110 4spd..drained the oil and it was a little sludge like coming out :o, guess that's from sitting for in storage all those years. I recall reading that the manual cars were smaller than the autos, but I didn't realize how small till I first got under the car then we pulled the motor and trans out.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
tripp

Post by tripp »

i'm watching closely. i am new to the 4g63 so i hope to pick up some knowledge. i want to put one in my 77 colt . so i hope to be able to pick your brain about the swap
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Thermostat housing arrived today, someone was parting out their RWD l200 setup :thumpsup:

Modified Waterneck is off a G37
Image[/img]

Pics show that I am keeping the stock location in the rear of the head. It really comes down to personal preference for either back of the head or up front. I don't want to have any issues of fluid getting on my timing belt somehow at some point in time nor did I want to have to do more work on my new head to use the front outlet.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

New bellhousing on Left, Old on Right

W55 Throwout bearing on Collar (ensures the TOB reaches the clutch)

New

Old
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Engine Harnesses :D Left is a modified 1st gen DSM harness already setup for a RWD app and Right is a stock Galant VR-4. The modified harness came off a DOHC g63t swapped D50/L200

Modified Harness, sub harness with fuse box is for all the ECU constant 12v, and any other accessories (fans, etc). isc, o2, closed throttle switch, and bcs were all removed, I still need to remove the MAF plug from the harness though as I won't be needing that :thumpsup: . Still has the plug for the diagnostic port, which I may still use because I have a datalogger cable from my old VR4.

The VR4 harness I'll just keep for spare parts and what not.

New Clutch/Brake pedal assembly should arrive soon!
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
tripp

Post by tripp »

thats cool ... did you do the harness yourself?
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

No, the modified harness I bought from someone parting out their 4g63t swapped d50/L200 to save time.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

the joys of rewiring a car. keep us posted mate. the build is coming along nicely. its great to see that theres some old school mitsu love in the states (Y)