Simon's GB Galant

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
scoop075

Simon's GB Galant

Post by scoop075 »

Well the rebuilt of my Galant is now underway so I figure I'd post up the progress, maby help others with motivation for their projects. So here's the rundown.

This is how I got her :

It's a sound car, good mechanically, with the main bad point being some rust in the outer panels (clean as underneath), paint has heavy humidity blisters and some splitting (but overall fairly straight tidy) and a ratty interior. I plan to build her as a weekend car, used for anything from a sunday morning cruise to light motorsport like motorkhana's etc..

So today I had the day off work and got my panel guy to come down and have a look, we went though it and after I strip her down he will give it a fresh coat of 2pac white. I'm not after a show car but something along the lines of race car/daily driver standard.

So now it's time to start stripping her down, this is what I had in the morning (had already tinkered a bit last weekend ;)

So after today I have the engine and box out, engine bay 80% stripped and also the front off the car

Didn't find anything too scary which was nice, except for some wild extra wiring (now deleted)

If I can find some time over the weekend I hope to finish stripping the rest of the car, and then I have some prep work to do in the engine bay before I send it off to paint.

I'm hoping to get this stage done in reasonable time, as the workshop space I am borrowing at the moment is for a limited time.
MATNES

Re: Simon's GB Galant

Post by MATNES »

scoop075 wrote: Didn't find anything too scary which was nice, except for some wild extra wiring (now deleted)
i always love the "extra" wiring.

MATT
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice one mate, looking forward to the outcome. My first ever car was a GA sedan in baby-poo yellow with a 2lt and 5spd. Great fun little thing to learn in :o)
scoop075

Post by scoop075 »

Galant_GT0 wrote: Great fun little thing to learn in :o)
I'm looking forward to having a car I can ring the neck of, most of my other cars have been early falcons, and with HP exceeding the handling they were always touch and go when pushed hard ;)

Well I got some more done before the weekend was over, now pretty much stripped to the c pillar. Only unearthed some suprise rust under the 1/4 window on one side, and in a small strip that helps hold the window rubber to the door ( base of the glass near the crome strip ) on both front doors. All fixable :) Pics :

Planning finishing the strip next weekend and start rubbing the bay...
scoop075

Post by scoop075 »

Well progress has been slow to say the least, with work and family commitments taking all my time. I've managed to finish the strip and hope to get a full day working on engine bay prep next weekend. Here's a couple more pic's, nothing too exciting, the last one shows an engine option someone was nice enough to leave by the front guard for me....now where is my tape measure ;)

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

this is my car!!!! i found it!!!! i bought this car off him. holy crap!!! i want to know alot more!!! does anyone have this guys number? i want to find out some details about the wiring. i bought it as it is in the last photo next to the v8.
N/A ALL THE WAY