My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

Thanks guys, I wont touch the paint until next weekend :)
Gives me the week to sort out the mechanicals and interior.

Cheers for the props guys, I really feel like I can see the end (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so last night I didn't want to start sanding so refitted most of the interior. Fitted the new rear seat belts and drop links for the front belts too 8-) Had a bit of a sand tonight and it took very little effort to come up glassy smooth, glad I finished with the super shine thinners and gave it a sand before that. Will finish sanding tomorrow night I think.
Decided to have a go at fitting the diff, the stock one came out in like 15 minutes. Slipped the EX diff in, still making the mounts but was a good chance to see how it sits.
It is about 20mm wider than the Galant diff so sits my rear wheels perfectly. Should be rolling again by the weekend.
Then all it needs is a tailshaft, and some wiring. :thumpsup:

EX Lancer LSD balanced in place
A112H

Post by A112H »

Been a bit quiet the last week or so. I have been working away on the diff mounts. I have them all welded on and the diff is in place, just waiting on the custom "U" bolts I am getting made up and it will be back on it's wheels.
Bet you can't guess what colour I have painted the diff :P
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

v nice jase
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Bet you can't guess what colour I have painted the diff :P
Umm? Red?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah, white to match the gearbox and engine :)

Cheers, mstrrab1992 :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

What size curciut breaker do I need? I have seen anything from 60 to 300amp ??
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hardtop is now on all 4 wheels again and wheel arches and suspension all painted up :)
Dinner now pics later.
I have found an issue though, as the caliper is at the front it fouls on the shock, not a major issue but just a bit more dicking about to get it to work smoothly but should be a relitivly easy fix ............ I think
:thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

So here are some pics.
It is sitting about 40mm lower than it was and looks pretty good IMO, it looks a bit white behind the wheels but it is just the calipers and a bit of overspray on the rotors that will wear away as soon as it is driven. The front still hasn't been wound down but will be as soon as I can be bothered, it isn't going anywhere just yet.

This is where it was

And today

I think the line up with the body line and the rims has worked out perfect :thumpsup:
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

ur missus seen that mess?

Looking like a car again :D! bet old mate that sold it to ya would be quite jealous!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Shitjas31

Post by Shitjas31 »

bruggz351 wrote:
mstrrab1992 wrote:You will if my keys and ur new paint job have anything to do with it

:hit:

Sorry pal, but that comment doesn't come anywhere near, funny.
nothing this guy says is funny...
1986 GN Sigma 'high roof' station wagon.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

ive probably said this a billion times mate. but your hardtop looks amazing. the white red scheme looks crazy great job. have you thought of painting the bonnet support panels red? i would of done a quick Photoshop for you but i haven't got Photoshop on this PC.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers metry, I am very happy with the result. Now it is back on it's wheels I can turn it around and polish the other side, lol.
I am not sure what you mean by
bonnet support panels
I think you will need to PS it for me :) Unless you mean the bracing under the bonnet? I did think about that but this bonnet is not for keeps, it has some cancer issues that were too much for my newly learnt panel beating skills, it looks nice and neat but it will be getting replaced ASAP, along with the front guards.

Last night I started the final boot fit out and not a speaker in sight :P
Got the surge tank and fuel pump in place. Fitted the battery box and did the final fit of power cable to the starter motor, earthed to the chassis in the boot area and another one from the engine to the strut top. Not sure if I need another one from the gearbox or not really, might be a bit of overkill.
Once this was done it gave me a chance to do a final fit of the front carpet, all glued in and looking good, rear should be done tonight then seats in, front seatbelts in and console in and interior is done :thumpsup:

The plan is to have it running this weekend, sadly it won't be driving as I still need the tailshaft sorted out but that should get done next week then rego 8-)
bet old mate that sold it to ya would be quite jealous!
I hope he is still alive and living in the same place, once it is done I will take it around and check.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

youre fussier then my dad :|
A112H

Post by A112H »

I can be, the state of my shed is pissing me off at the moment but as soon as the hardtop is done all the tools can be neatly packed away for a while.

Looks like I wont have it running this weekend :( I am not confident with the wiring on my own and can't find a good guide on here so have hired an auto elec to do it for me. Sadly he can't get here until Thursday :( So I put the call out to all SA members, if you know what you are doing and are happy to come here and do it tomorrow or Sunday there is $100 in it for you.
PM me or call 0416 756 081
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I have had a great response to my cry for help and have two members coming around in the morning to help out, so the hardtop should be cranking tomorrow arvo :)
Not sure that I have $100 each for ya but I am sure we can sort out a deal, I still have some 4G63 stuff here I don't need, wink wink :thumpsup:

Okay, in the whole OHS that todays workplace is run by I thought I should push the car out of the shed so as not to damage any S-G members with the hundred or so tripping hazards in my shed, lol
Anyway, thought I would grab a few more pics while the sun was out.

Yes that is the hand brake on the ground, hense the brick, lol

As I said the front guards are horrible but they are not for keeps.

Feel free to comment, good or bad, I am a big boy and can take constructive critisism. If you are just nasty I will stab you in the f**king neck :@
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I'm so jealous, that is so nice :( my hardtop needs more clean
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

sweet Galant..

Just a quick question... Are those guard mirrors road worthy??

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
A112H

Post by A112H »

bruggz351 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:04 pm

sweet Galant..

Just a quick question... Are those guard mirrors road worthy??
Sorry officer, I don't understand your question. They are factory if that's what you mean?

(H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Just gave it a quick clean and polish before the guys get here tomorrow, lol

You think I have gone silly with pics now, wait till it is running :lol: I am seriously crazy excited :z
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

love it jason great work man :thumpsup:

i miss my coupe so much :(
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sell that crazy red sedan and buy hotwires. I will help you with the rebuild (H)
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Damn I wish I had the $$ to pay someone to do bodywork on my coupe so I could keep it :(
Looks great Jason - def take me for a spin when it's running
A112H

Post by A112H »

Done deal mate, cruise it is :)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

I really dont have the time or money to do it, otherwise i would and i know you'd help me jason.. :P

Ill buy another coupe one day dont worry then we shall cruise together (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well with some fantastic help and advice from both GB_BB4C and 84GKSIG the hardtop is now cranking, all lights are working and even fired a couple of times. Thanks again guys, massivley appreciated :thumpsup:
After a while spent head scratching we called in the help of Superscan and found out I had bought the wrong coil. Sadly my coil purchasing was based on the fact that it looked cool and was red, I didn't think about it being to suit points and not electronic ignition.
So tomorrow I will be trying the correct coil and we should have a runner on our hands. If this happens I will be sure to post a video as soon as I can get far enough away from it to film something, lol

Here are some pics.

Finally got to use my old orange and black sticker, been saving this one for the end :thumpsup:

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Looking great Jason.

When you're getting your coil, see if you can't also "find" another ignition module, just in case..

If it's internal to the dizzy, it'll look like this Ignition-Control-Module

If it's bolted to the outside of the dizzy, it will either look like this module or this one

Also, on your way home, stop in on Jaycar or Dick Smith and grab a small tube of heatsink paste, white is good, silver is better.

If you have to replace your old module, the new module will last a lot longer if you use the paste to seat it.

Cheers.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

love the tail lights btw they certainly look better then stock! :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sounds like it's coming together well for you Jason :thumpsup:
GC75 wrote:love the tail lights btw they certainly look better then stock! :thumpsup:
I didn't like these lights when I first saw them in a pic on a standard car, I'm still prefer the originals, but they look good in your car. The illuminated night shot in particular :thumpsup:

I think superscan811 has earned his badge...
:lol:
Nice work.

I to have rung superscan811 for a second opinion when I was stuck.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers