my GD project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
79_lancer

Re: my GD project

Post by 79_lancer »

Lol. I didn't read that properly :p the moulds you have are they the stock ones? The after market stuff you need a tool to get it in, not 100% sure with the old stuff. Maybe use some circlip pliers or something and gently guide it in? I'm pretty sure you just need to spread the rubber and feed the strip in. It helps lock the rubber over the glass.
As for sealing, mastic.
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
Billy076

Post by Billy076 »

Cheers for the tips! I decided against doing it myself in the end so a glazier is coming to do them on Friday morning. Cannot wait to take it out for a drive Friday arvo!
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

No probs :thumpsup: be good to see it out and about. I too can't wait to get mine finished ;)

Billy076

Post by Billy076 »

She's on the road! Took it out last night for its first drive, could not be happier!
A112H

Post by A112H »

AWSOME news Billy, look forward to seeing it on the road.
Keep an eye out for the next SA cruise :thumpsup:
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

Good stuff! :thumpsup: fingers crossed mine won't be too far off :)

Billy076

Post by Billy076 »

What's the deal re belt drive vs chain drive? Obviously this car has a belt drive (and runs like a dream) but would a chain drive be better? At the very least this one needs to lose pollution gear and get a well designed exhaust
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

What belt drive is it running? The early 4G32B or a later G32B? (if it's got pollution gear it's more likely to be a newer G32B). Far as I know the belt drive engine is up on compression over the chain driven Saturn engine. There are bonuses to running with the belt drive engine - less weight for a start, parts are easier to source, less corrosion issues (no alloy timing cover for the water pump to attach to...) cheaper and easier to do timing on (swap a belt and a tensioner if it needs it and you're off). Regular maintenance will keep it ticking for ages :) There's a good chance the anti pollution gear isn't working anyway as the single exhaust gas gallery that runs through the head is normally blocked with carbon and gunk. Either leave it alone, take off the inlet manifold and seal the gallery or remove the EGR bypass valve on the inlet manifold and make a block off plate. Removing the EGR valve will be noticed if you are pulled over and could land you a defect... I did once find an inlet manifold that was void of anti pollution gear and I used it on the G32B engine I had in my Lancer hatch. I have a feeling it was from a 4G32B engine (...can anyone verify that this is the case? :think: ) btw I had to get a small alloy tab welded onto the lower side of #3 inlet runner to block the EGR gallery port. The G32B engine idled and ran nice and smooth after using this modded inlet manifold (H)
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Gald to see you decided to go with the original colour rather than black. You should be proud of the paint job you've done, it looks really good and the pepper pots really suit the car. :thumpsup:
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It's the colour my wagon was when I bought it.

Looks good, if only I had the confidence to run with the stock colour.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Dave,

If it's the green wagon you're talking about don't worry about it, that's a very tidy car.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Billy076

Post by Billy076 »

Is there a spotted thread anywhere on here?? Took her out today (drove approx. 350km) around the place. As I was nearing home I spotted a white gc with stickers on the back window just out of littlehampton. Thought it might belong to someone here.. pretty happy with how the car ran, no overheating or anything.
Billy076

Post by Billy076 »

Not sure what path I should take from here.... Do I go 2.6 or just put a little money into the 4G32b? Im thinking I might just get a carb and exhaust for the 4G32 at the moment and go for 2.6 down the track. I found a 32/36 DGAV on gumtree for cheap (Im willing to learn how to rebuild it) but I've got no idea if its suitable (ie if the throttle opens the right way or even if its any good). Here's some pictures of it, anyone got any idea what this thing is and if its suitable? Any help would be much appreciated.