Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
kenvv

Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post by kenvv »

WARNING, I BLABBER ON ABOUT LOTS OF CRAP!!!!

well ive been on and off the forums for a year now and thought id post some pics up on the new rig. alot of you have recognized the car in my avatar pic from when it was for sale a while back. well im the new owner. some may say it was pricey for what it is, but i loved it the moment i saw the first pics of it is sale thread and went straight for a test drive an hour later. a day later it was mine. impulse buy but hey, i then sold other cars and left with just this now. these are still the pics from old owner. havent taken my own yet as im to freakin busy and car has been at mechanic since i bought it.

quick pic of old chrysler:
sigma turbo------>

now for the new one:

GC sedan
engineered in SA with 4g63 vr4 engine (plus a few bits and pieces also added from the old evo engine that was in it)
supra 5 speed
nissan 720 locker diff
subaru brakes
gt3540 turbo
3" exhaust off the turbo
external wastegate and screamer pipe
front mount cooler
boost gauge in dash
oil pressure gauge
wolf 3d ecu
sigma turbo rims
surge tank and fuel pump in boot
sunroof

think thats it from memory so up with the pics

i will definately take my own better pics when get a chance

currently at my mechanic getting all the little crap done like:
full service including diff and gearbox fluids
replacing all globes
raising the rear end (was bottoming in the guards)
rewire all dials
rewire and calibrate speedo to toyota gearbox
make up handbrake cables to suit subaru brakes

and i currently have it booked in with my other mechanice to install and remap an evo 3 ecu and loom to remove the wolf 3d as i dont like it.

new parts in garage:
new wheels (pair only at the moment, will have to order another pair once have trial fitted)
rear dash sunshade
front windscreen sunvisor
new steering wheel
new drivers seat (may not use, its a bit snug)
some mesh to use in grill to hide intercooler
and a few little stickers etc

after all that i plan to put in an alarm and cd player and speakers (and duno if it is possible but to install a central locking kit with alarm?)
and retint the windows slightly darker and full respray. one fender is a slightly different colour and although it had a respray a few years ago and has minimal rust (two bubbles on roof) i want to redo it all but use a metallic red, not a flat red that is currently on there. then the basics also like give the interior a really good clean its filthy and remount the oil pressure gauge properly.

will update with pics the whole way through. we be putting in all parts from garage when i can get some time from work. overall im hoping to be running around 220-250rwkw as a daily driver should keep me happy. hopefully the police dont bother me to much

opinions anybody? positive or negative i dont mind. constructive criticism if you will... but im fairly keen on the way i wana go with it. would rather change the colour completely but dont wana spend that much.

cheeeeers!
Last edited by kenvv on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Re: kens GC 4g63 sedan - *lots of pics

Post by kenvv »

forgot pics of the new wheels. im considering trying to wedge these in the rear and buy some less agressive offsets for the front.
15x8 -9 performance challengers

vrooooom vrooooom!!
colta51

Post by colta51 »

are thay kirks old rims? thay fit on the gc/gds pretty well! any way nice score mate :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

colta51 wrote:are thay kirks old rims? thay fit on the gc/gds pretty well! any way nice score mate :thumpsup:
They are not kirk's old rim's as i have them.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

colta51

Post by colta51 »

ok then mybad.. wat you putting them on?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ok finally got the car back from my mechanic. he didnt do alot of stuff that i wanted for some reason which is frustrating but will get it fixed soon when get the new ecu put in. so for the last few days ive been adding all my accessories so just posting the progress. also realised i was missing 2 buckles and the middle seatbelt so the local wreckers happend to have a galant wreck so i got a hold of some.

new sunvisor on

rear venetians and sticker

picked up an auto centre console from wreckers so installed that as i had no console

was missing my boot backing so got one of them too

old steering wheel

new steering wheel

put mesh in to hide the cooler from police a little
(before)

(after)

also some pics of the interior thats been retrimmed at some stage. since pics were taken i cleaned them up alot so stains are gone

the surge tank enclosure in boot

i also tried to fit the new wheels on and they would fit properly. the centre of the disk between the studs where the 'bulging' section sticks out is slightly to large a diameter for the wheels. so im thinking either use slip on spacers to get around the issue or maybe see if i can get the centre of the rim slightly bored out rim to make it fit. it is only 1-2mm diamater to small. but dont know if this can be done. i only ended up test fitting the rim to the front due the these troubles. so i couldnt get the rim right up against the hub but as you can see it sticks out fairly far. so im thinking i will order a pair in a less aggressive offset for the front and use slip on spacers to clear the hub. and keep the deep pair for the rear and try and use the slip ons there if possible without making them sit to far out the guards. will get around to it eventually when the car is raised in rear end (to low at moment!)

so thats it for the moment. got the ecu booked in to be replaced in two weeks or so. i have also removed the gauge from the steering column and remounted under the dash, and put on a new gear knob and gear boot on too. so still needing doing is raising rear end, replacing some globes around the car, and full service and the ecu. then paint her, chuck in a stereo and that should be it for a while hopefully.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks the goods mate, I like the new wheels much better. You can get the centres enlarged no worries, just go and see a good machine shop near you or someone like Adelaide wheel and rim.
Think you might need to find a +-0 for the front though unless you are planning on stretching out those gaurds?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh the next offset down is 15x7 +8 so im prob going to go for a pair of them for the front and use 8mm spacers to bring them out inline with the guards nicely hopefully. rims will be a month or so away before i put them on though. have to raise the car first to fit the bigger ones on the rear. struggling to find decent time off work to book it all in. but in a month mechanically the car should be finished. then just fix up the aesthetics and project complete for a while. quite happy with the power at the moment so im interested to see what the dyno readout says when its done.

cheers for the comments. hopefully can make it to the next cruise if can get it finished in time!
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have 4 5mm slip on's I don't need, might be able to work a deal with the other stuff I have PM'd you about :thumpsup:
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Your Galant is looking good. Like the new steering wheel. Wasn't sure about how the wheels would look when they were on the car (edit: meant to say off the car) but after seeing them on it, they look good. Shame they are a bit wide.

Nath
Last edited by Nath76LA on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
1976 Galant Hardtop
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

the fatter wheels will go to the rear and thinner ones to the front. the new steering wheel is pretty nice but because its so deep it sits fairly close to you when driving. but im almost used to it now.

also just replaced the front headlights as they didnt work. so can drive during the night now...... :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

MAN SHE LOOKS AWSOME...LIKE THE WHEELS,GLOBES ARE THEY? :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

ISKA8 wrote:MAN SHE LOOKS AWSOME...LIKE THE WHEELS,GLOBES ARE THEY? :thumpsup:
Performance Challengers
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

just towed the car to the mechanic today and gave hime a $3000 budjet to get it mechanically sound... he estimates low 200's kw mark on 10psi. nice!!!

new haltech stanalone ecu tuned to 10psi
rewire tacho and temp gauge
raise rear end
kill switch
full service + diff and coolant
rewire the horn

and any other little things that may need doing
think thats roughly it. hopefully wont come to $3000 but thats my max for now.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

vrooooom vrooooom!!
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

are wolf 3d no good?? got one for my 4g63? i was going to run a crank sensor, because i removed cas...for clearance reasons? please let me know your problems with it!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i bought the car with the wolf already in it. but the previous owner was trying to do it cheaply so its wiring throughout the car is dodgy and therefore the maps on the wolf arent as affective as they could be. so it kept dropping a cylinder from time to time. every mechanic i have spoken to so far has said that it will work if rewired in correctly but mine is one of the older models so they recommended for the car to run the way i want it to to change to a different ecu setup. was going to remap an evo 3 ecu but with the larger turbo and future modification possibilities i was pursuaded to a haltech as a much better option. hope this helps. i dont think the wolf would pose many issues if wired in and tuned correctly on a fairly standard engine. but thats more of a guess than a fact.... :think:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

few updates, had the car at all japan day in SA which was good to have it out amongst other car folk and get some opinions etc.

also aquired another interior. the front seats are fair haggard but will just cover them for now until i can find cleaner ones. gave the whole lot a clean up today and will vinyl spray them black before putting in car to try and make it more stock looking.

also bought some new wheels 14x7 in around +0 offset. cant remember the exact measurement.

hopefully put all this in in the next month or so and then hook up new stereo system and alarm and then paint down the track is the final touch!! for now.....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:gave the whole lot a clean up today and will vinyl spray them black before putting in car to try and make it more stock looking.
If you vinyl spray the trim What will you do with the carpet on the bottom of the door trims?
kenvv wrote:also bought some new wheels 14x7 in around +0 offset. cant remember the exact measurement.
You're rims look like Cheviot Amourlites? Did you manage to get any centres for them? Also did you get the allen head bolts (or what ever they are) that go in the holes around the outside?
Are you going to polish them?
If the measurement's are correct I'll be curious to see how they fit in the front guards? What struts are you running? The wheels should just make it if you're running GH struts.

How about a teaser shot of how the rims will look on your car?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Hey Ken
Those wheels will look good if polished, perhaps get a buffing wheel on a drill or similar to give a good shine?
Also, why are you changing out your bucket front seats? Will you be selling the Cobra drivers seat? :)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

75wagon wrote:
kenvv wrote:gave the whole lot a clean up today and will vinyl spray them black before putting in car to try and make it more stock looking.
If you vinyl spray the trim What will you do with the carpet on the bottom of the door trims?
kenvv wrote:also bought some new wheels 14x7 in around +0 offset. cant remember the exact measurement.
You're rims look like Cheviot Amourlites? Did you manage to get any centres for them? Also did you get the allen head bolts (or what ever they are) that go in the holes around the outside?
Are you going to polish them?
If the measurement's are correct I'll be curious to see how they fit in the front guards? What struts are you running? The wheels should just make it if you're running GH struts.

How about a teaser shot of how the rims will look on your car?

Dave...
the guy at the shop reckons the vinyl spray will work on the carpet too. i was sceptical but figure its worth a shot. they only cost me $20 for the set. i have no alternate ideas anyway.

yeh from memory im running GH struts. will have to check the engineers certificate to see what it says. but who knows how accurate that is anyway with my car. two of the rims are without tyres at the moment. will be a few weeks before i can get it sorted. and car is still at mechanics so cant even test fit the other two. will post pics when it happens though. i would like to give them a decent polish but dont have the equipment dave used in the wheel cleaning thread. yeh maybe a buffer on a drill will do a good enough job. they were advertised as chevoit rims so im guessing you are correct. na i didnt get centre caps or bolts for them. but they seem to be a 1 piece anyway so no bolts needed except for looks?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

Hotwire wrote:Hey Ken
Those wheels will look good if polished, perhaps get a buffing wheel on a drill or similar to give a good shine?
Also, why are you changing out your bucket front seats? Will you be selling the Cobra drivers seat? :)
i kind of want the original interior. want to have something stock in the car. might try and setup a nice race seat for the drivers side that i can use from time to time but dunno. probably have noe use for the cobra seat afterwards so can hit you a pm if your interested when i get it out. will let ya know depending how these other ones turn out :|

im kind of wanting the car to look like and mini torana or something. just a cool oldschool car. will consider doing cams and shaft later down the track to get a nice idle
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:the guy at the shop reckons the vinyl spray will work on the carpet too
I tried that years ago. I works in the short term, but long term the colour just rubs off.
Is there some kind of carpet dye available somewhere?
kenvv wrote:na i didnt get centre caps or bolts for them. but they seem to be a 1 piece anyway so no bolts needed except for looks?
You can buy new centre caps from some spare parts places (like Pep's Auto Parts).
Yeah, the bolt aren't for anything but decoration.
A lot of wheels of that vintage had fake allen head bolts. They were push in, not screw in. Are your holes threaded?
kenvv wrote:i would like to give them a decent polish but dont have the equipment dave used in the wheel cleaning thread. yeh maybe a buffer on a drill will do a good enough job.
You'll need to spin them to sand/polish them. The sanding lines need to be spun like the wheel or those types of wheels look terrible. If all else fails, do what I used to do, jack up one back wheel (chock up the rest) idle the motor up, put in gear and sand/polish away.
kenvv wrote:im kind of wanting the car to look like and mini torana or something

Why not make it look like a Galant? :think:

77galantv6 has a look going on that's to die for and it's all Galant. And then there's my wagon?

Seriously though, be proud of the heritage, I get the cool oldskool car thing, but try to keep it true to it's roots. :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

im not sure about carpet dye if it exists or not.

will have to look when i go home tomorrow to see if the holes are threaded. i personally dont mind the holes instead of bolts anyway. both would be ok. centrecaps would be nice though

i did have a little go at sanding them as they had some crap on the metal. used wet and dry. but from memory i used p600 and p800 and started to scratch so i stopped and didnt go back to buy a finer grain. will have to go back through and find the wheel cleaning thread and give it a better shot following your tips listed there.

i like and respect both your cars. and i do love old cas. but my car was well away from a factory product when i bought it so just ran with that a bit i guess. i want it to look old, feel old, but be real clean and have some pace behind it. just cant stand struggling to get up hills. my new 4x4 is slow and it gets on my nerves sometimes but maybe thats my downfall. duno :\

i definately appreciate your input and opinions tho. cheers dude. because i havent had the car to actually drive as its been getting worked on for so long, i have to much time to think and change my mind constantly :@
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

75wagon wrote:
kenvv wrote:
kenvv wrote:i would like to give them a decent polish but dont have the equipment dave used in the wheel cleaning thread. yeh maybe a buffer on a drill will do a good enough job.
You'll need to spin them to sand/polish them. The sanding lines need to be spun like the wheel or those types of wheels look terrible. If all else fails, do what I used to do, jack up one back wheel (chock up the rest) idle the motor up, put in gear and sand/polish away.
so not a good idea! :(
save your pennys and get them polished professionally, they will look insane :thumpsup: :thumpsup: !!!! they are flat wheels...if not done properly they look ripply.. :( :(
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

kenvv wrote: i like and respect both your cars. and i do love old cas. but my car was well away from a factory product ....
i hope your not saying my car is factory. the only thing in mine is the shell and rear seats lol..
75wagon wrote:
kenvv wrote:im kind of wanting the car to look like and mini torana or something

Why not make it look like a Galant? :think:

77galantv6 has a look going on that's to die for and it's all Galant. And then there's my wagon?

Dave...
thanks for the praise dave
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:i like and respect both your cars. and i do love old cas. but my car was well away from a factory product when i bought it so just ran with that a bit i guess. i want it to look old, feel old, but be real clean and have some pace behind it.
I get that. I suppose I picked up on the word Torana (I'm sick of seeing them by the way). By giving a car 'the look', we start to carve a niche. Torana's have been done to death and copied a million times. Nothing wrong with taking styling cues from other designs, so long as they blend with what you have to start.
When it's said and done, do what you want, it's yours after all.
As for the respecting our cars thanks, the wagon has been a labor of love, I wish I had this site to inspire and educate me while I was building it. I joined this site just after I completed it. There are still things happening to it, but there's only so much I can do to it now.
77galantv6 wrote:thanks for the praise dave
Credit comes where credit is due. Oh, and it may not be much of a Galant left in it, but it looks Galant, and that's the important thing.

Dave...
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

na i know you have done the engine conversion and whatnot. but that was in reference to my car being far from factory is all.

once my new seats are in, what is the main difference from ours that stops our cars being somewhat similar. i mean that in a loose term. if yours has an "all galant look", how does mine not? all im saying is i was heading in a bit different direction to original which didnt bother me. :$
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:if yours has an "all galant look", how does mine not? all im saying is i was heading in a bit different direction to original which didnt bother me. :$
I like what you have done so far. I think you're making it look more like a galant then it was when you bought it (the returning to original interior trims).
As far as the 'all Galant look' comment, I was wondering if you were trying to make the car look like something else (other then a Galant)?

I was actually commenting on this:
kenvv wrote:im kind of wanting the car to look like and mini torana or something.
After that comment, I was waiting for a front spoiler, rear bobtail and wheel flares. :P

Dave...
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

na none of that bodykit crap. just wanted some nice wheels and paint to toughen it up a bit. thats what i meant by the torana comment. wanted it to have a bit of a baller look. so eager to get it done and enjoy the car. nothing but headaches so far. after a whole lot of cash spent blowing my budget way out it seems to be back on track
vrooooom vrooooom!!