Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
kenvv

Re: kens GC 4g63 sedan - *lots of pics

Post by kenvv »

haha sorry Lee, i was drinking beer and prob distracted when writing it. not my fault.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, I like hotwires but would love some in 15's if I was to consider replacing the steelies :)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i do love your rear steelies. im happy with 14's at the moment but would like too 15's incase i ever do a brake upgrade.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the 15's look better balanced on the car but to be honest the initial thought was cheaper tyres and bigger brakes, lol
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

hasnt started it yet...... :@

its been about 3 weeks. but in his defence he had some personal crap going on so wasnt there very often lately. but he promises me he is starting it next week. but he did say that last week :wut:

hopefully worth the wait. will put pics up asap once it done
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ok another frustrating update.

still hasnt started the paintwork yet. im getting so sick of waiting for people working on my car. it has literally spent more time in mechanics hands than mine in the year ive had it. he has had some time off for personal reasons so try not to blame him but its been there a month and would expect some progress to be made. its sitting indoors under a cover but thats not the point. hopefully the work quality is worth the wait.

might as well make an updated mods list out of boredom; (well what i can think of anyways)

vr4 4g63 (engineered)
supra 5 speed
nissan 720 diff with locker
gt3540 trubo
external gate
screamer
evo inlet manifold
3" exhaust
haltech sprint 500 standalone ecu
sigma front struts
both 14x7 +5 cheviot hotwires and armourlites(?)
flipped wagon rear leafs
reconditioned cylinder head
ARP head studs
metal head gasket
surge tank in boot
deep sigma steering wheel
went back to original interior
sunroof
boost gauge in dash
cd player + 4 speaker system
alarm
central locking on front 2 doors
hopefully black respray soon :wut:

future objectives/wishlist;
flip rear leafs upright (to low)
remove locker from diff
aluminium radiator (saw jasons and im well jelous)
paint engine bay
upgrade cams and crank
find a passenger side mirror
polish rocker cover
maybe front coilovers
possibly have a set of race seats on spare rails to bolt in and out every now and then

see how i go. money tree doesnt grow to quickly this time of year :lol:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

It will get there mate, the hardtop has taken me 7 years to get this far, lol.
aluminium radiator (saw jasons and im well jelous)

Did you get the link? It reall y is an very well made item and was packed perfectly and came very quickly. Fingers crossed I will be able to bring it to you in about 4 weeks :)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

na i havent seen the link jason. is it in your build thread?

i am however running the 4g63 so will have to look at where my current coolant pipes line up and try find a similar setup. but i dont know much about radiators and what makes one good or bad.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers man. atleast i can use that size as a guideline and then try find one with outlets in the right spot. seems like a fair decent price :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

well its been a long time coming but after 11 weeks since dropping it at the painters finally some action is happening. these photos were the car last week stripped for paint, and the rest were from today getting prepped. one thing im stoked about was the fact there was literally no rust in the window seals!

vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just trying to work out what I'm looking at here?
The grey patches are primer, yes? So has the red paint been rubbed back through, or has the primer been applied over the top and then rubbed back?

BTW, glad to see some action with this (you've been quiet for a while), still going Black?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

Hey Dave, im not 100% on his method. Wont be as in depth as you have been lately. I cant afford that ;-) your work looks awesome. And yeh im still going black.

but its the areas where he has fixed minor rust like the rear beaver panel and a few small dents over the fenders and doors etc. He had rubbed buck the red, the glossy sheen was gone. When i was there he was rubbing it down with what i assume was wax and grease remover.

He has taken forever and i have been really lenient with him. Poor fella's daughter is sick at the moment so he hasnt been working alot and with her in hospital etc. But then it got week after week of not starting it and starting smaller jobs on the side and i got fed up and said how about you do my car or im taking it back and going somewhere else. So its finally getting done.

Will post end results and paint job quality details etc when completed.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Great to see some action with this Ken. I would have snapped at the guy by now, lol.
All I see in the pics is 3 guys looking on, surely he isn't the only one there working? In the 5th pic a guy is smoking, can't be too much painting going on in that shed, lol. Anyway, I hope it turns out sweet and can't wait to go out for a cruise soon :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's a question.
What are you going to do with the engine bay? Going Black as well, or staying red?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

Cheers Jason, a cruise soon would be awesome. just accepted a permanent job in adelaide so will be home more often now.

Dave, the engine bay is staying red for now. Eventually id like it the same black or satin black. But just not feasible at the moment. Long list of things to do.

Really want the locker taken out but i dont know enough about diffs to know what centres are compatable/available for a nissan 720 diff. will have to go see someone about it
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey Ken, I have a very good solid diff from my hardtop if you are interested? Is yours still running a stock diff welded up or is it another diff of some sort?
It is my understanding that the sedans run 3.889 and the hardtops run 3.545 so it will give you a bit more highway speed. $100 if you come and get it :)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

Cheers Jason, but im running a nissan 720 diff (or so i was told). so changing back would be difficult with custom tailshaft etc. Firstly going to see if i can get a new centre for mine so dont have to change the whole diff out.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

long time coming......

vrooooom vrooooom!!
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

looks great mate. the black paint job and rims you have work extremely well (Y)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers man. Im fair pleased with it. will be raising the rear end and running 15's one day but happy with these rims for now.

im always a fan of black and white pics of old cars.

and the newly added S.G reps
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GC75
Admin

Re: Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post by GC75 »

wow, i was going to buy this car at one point its come along beautifully man :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A112H

Post by A112H »

Ken, that looks awesome man, I love it and the brake boilers suit the black perfectly. Can't to see it out and about on the next cruise :thumpsup:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers guys :thumpsup:

Paint ended up costing $3000 total. I supplied the paint and new window seals etc. It wasnt a bare metal job as i couldnt afford it.

As for the quality. Its a really even finish. I have found a few blemishes but im certain it was due to me putting him under pressure to finish it asap after waiting so long. If he had time on his hands i trust he would do an amazing job. But as mentioned earlier his daughter is fair sick at the moment so he is delayed alot and wouldnt expect anything done asap if thats what your needing. He would do small jobs but not full resprays at the moment. well im assuming anyways. anyone interested is welcome to come see the quality anytime.

Been getting heaps of looks in it driving it today and a dude approaching me in the servo about it. feels good to drive something others appreciate for once, not just me.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
ted

Post by ted »

Car looks brilliant!!! ive always want a black galant!!! good work man
ImportS13

Post by ImportS13 »

A112H wrote:Great to see some action with this Ken. I would have snapped at the guy by now, lol.
All I see in the pics is 3 guys looking on, surely he isn't the only one there working? In the 5th pic a guy is smoking, can't be too much painting going on in that shed, lol. Anyway, I hope it turns out sweet and can't wait to go out for a cruise soon :thumpsup:
Hey, one of guys standing around doing nothing was me (H)

Drove the slacker down to see his car.

It's looking good hodge. When I get home from this shitty rig, you can take me for a spin!
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Looks tough :D

From the pictures looks like a pretty tidy job
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Looks good Ken - but tyre black STAT!! :P
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

The pics on the grass were outside the painters where I picked it up. Had been driving through the gravel carpark and tyres got dirty. So excited ive been daily driving it the last few days. Need to buy a new car for work now
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Great work Ken - I farken love your car even more now! I've been a southy all my life and saw that car often when it was first done. The black looks rad!!