Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Hotwire

Re: kens GC 4g63 sedan - *lots of pics

Post by Hotwire »

The grill is actually a coupe grill, somethign i dont have so if you're selling that too, give me first dibs on it thanks. Alternatively, I have a very good condition GD grill if you wanna swap + some cash your way?

you know, there is so much i like about your car, I think i'd take more than half the parts if given the chance :lol:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

well im sorry mate the chance will not be given :hit: :D and i think it was actuallt Dave that tried explaining to me how to change the grill and lights setup over. but cant remember the process involved as would neet different type of headlight and mounting brackets then.

i did see this grill on the white coupe on carsales at the moment. but mine has the centre fins cut out from previous owner i assume to show the cooler. but i want the cooler black and hidden. the numerous times ive driven head on past the popo with them having a quick look over. if they saw cooler the car would not be on road so im playing it safe there by hiding it.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

My quick attempt at putting your hotwires on the black car:

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

thats cool Lee!

but ive got a guy interested in the dished rims i have. but im still now keen to see them on the black paint. im trying to get the tyres swapped over on them today so i can see how they sit on the car with red paint. pain in the ass....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ok changed the rims over. turns out they were they same offset. both were +0. so they sit the same in the guards. looking at the pics it would have been nice to have the same size tyre on the front as the rear. they look slightly small to me. i think they should look great on the fresh black paint once that is done. opinions?

vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

As much as I love hotwires i think these will look better contrasting the black
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh im thinking the same thing. otherwise would be to much black on the car. these rims with all the silver trimmings should look nice. im happy with how deep they look and i like the 2-step dish. doesnt show up as well on the hotwires due to the bowl of the spokes.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Undecided :think:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

it does completely change the look of the car. but i had my heart set on black so will be getting that done and come to a decision on rims afterwards.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:would be to much black on the car.
Agreed.

I still prefer the Hotwires to the brake cookers though, there is another option? Paint the Hotwires a lighter Grey or Silver? Just a thought?

Regardless of what myself or anyone else thinks, at least this way you got to see exactly what they look like on the car. If you like them, run with them. BTW, I think you are right, the brake cookers will look better on the car when it's black then what it does now.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think you could go for "the best of both worlds"
Polish the front face of the spokes and the rim on the hotwires and leave the bolt face and sides of the spokes black.
I will find a pic :)

MMM Y352 Yokies, I had them in a 265/65/14 on the front of my XA Coupe back in the day (H)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

My grandma! What big feet you have... :P
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

that was the original idea jason. but due to lazyness, being afraid to stuff it up, and the fact i didnt mind them as they were i never bothered with it. will find out in a few months i guess oncs painting is done.

any pics of your XA coupe with them on it? that would have been tough!

i also went down to port rd industrial suspension place the other day. was directed in the way of installing the stock 2 leaf setup. seeing how it sits, remove them and take them there and tell them how much higher/lower i want it, and how much stiffer, they would reset them, and then i re-install them. so thats on the cards after respray is done i think. going to work in the winery again for a week now for some extra cash. got a few things on the go this month so its going to be an expensive one!
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

There is a pic around the site somewhere but as it was back in the day I was still sporting the mullet :lol:

Springs sound good, think I will take the same path with the hardtop in the next few weeks.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

he said he would most likely add a leaf to get the desired stiffness to support the car at the lowered height i want. im so sick of riding bump stops on every ripple in the road.
but said it would be about $280. but i tried changing them over a few months back and couldnt get the wagon leafs out. but ive got a different technique to try this time when i get the effort.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah, not my receptical for a warm beverage. Rears look 'okay' front look about 3 inches too small.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

i actually dont mind it but i woulnt go black??
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh each to their own. i love black cars and especially old cars. so ive got the paint, window rubbers, and its booked in. cant look back now. will be a good guinea pig as i havent seen pics of another black one yet. only that awesome black lancer with flares.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Knew i had some photo's somewhere of a Black Galant....

2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh thats cool as. needs to be lower and have the spoiler removed. i like it! maybe thats the one that the guy owned that i met the other night.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

dropped the car at the painters yesterday :P
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Which painter are you using and how much? I want to be dropping mine of in the next 2 or 3 weeks
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

a guy at lonsdale called gary christopher. happened to drive past one day and went in for a quote. its $3000. im supplying the paint, thinners, hardener, and window rubbers. as well as fixing minor dents etc he is removing the bog in c pillar and re-installing the vents and badges there. its about what i was expecting to spend so hopefully it turns out ok. will put some pics up once finished and tell ya the quality or feel free to come have a look yourself.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I was recently quoted $5,000 for a door closed respray in white :wut: only work needed was finish the front gaurds where indicators have been removed, replace lower gaurds with supplied new section and weld up old mirror screw holes in drivers door.
I was thinking $2-2500 :(
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

well feel free to give this guy a visit next time your at UPI south. his address is 5 roxburgh avenue lonsdale. 0412028781. he seems like a good bloke and the photos on his wall of previous jobs look good. im getting an open door job including in and under boot and bonnet. all im not doing is the actual engine bay from the fenders down
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i wanted 2 pak black but he recomended against it as i wasnt to sure on what paints were on the car already. he said if he tried using the paint i wanted it could react badly and have to be stripped completely and be more expensive obviously. so i went acrylic which was cheaper to buy and cheaper to spray. i got my paint, thinners, and hardener for $160 too which was good. he thinks it will be in primer by next week. but im off to the snow next weekend so will have to wait till i get back to see the final product.

he does some body work i guess but im not sure if he does full rust repairs or has someone he could call in. have to ask him. i had about a 3 week wait to get my car in for paint so give him a call if your interested.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Sounds good Ken - you must be excited!
So the plan is to run the dishies or the Hotwires when black?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

well the dishies are on now. i will see how they look. im hoping they will look good. if i get rid of the hotwires at some stage i will let ya know jason :thumpsup: :lol:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

kenvv wrote:well the dishies are on now. i will see how they look. im hoping they will look good. if i get rid of the hotwires at some stage i will let ya know jason :thumpsup: :lol:
It's Lee, not Jason, but actually, that was't why I was asking..... or was it :z

:lol: