BlueThunder

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi all!

I'm Sven and live in Antwerp, Belgium. I'm new to this site but it's really an interesting place.
For daily ride I have a '07 Mitsubishi Colt CZ3 Diesel, not that impressive but hey, it drives nice :p

But the car you are more interested in is the next one:

A 1978 Mitsubishi Celeste, which I call Blue Thunder. The reason is/was the tuned 4g32 engine and the open exhaust with Remus muffler.

Yes, I said "was" because the 4G32 has now been replaced by a 4G63 twin carb out of a 1982 Saporro GSR. Drives a lot better and more quiet. The exhaust gives now also a nice humming sound but I will put an original one anyway. :)

Originally it was a 1600ST but during the last years some "original" modifications were made to it. There are things which I like and keep but also things which I liked but had to change due to mechanical problems. My main goal is now to modify the car to a 2000GSR as original as possible. (OK, I already had to take the 4G63 twin carb in stead of the 4G52 twin carb because the 4G52 is just too hard to find over here)

The things which are already changed from 1600ST -> 2000GSR are:

- engine: tuned 4G32 -> 4G63 twin carb
- drum brakes 8 -> 9 inch
- brake booster and master cylinder: 2 liter type.
- rear axle replaced by a 2 Liter one
- gearbox: 4 speed to 5-speed (KM132)
- springs
- 1600 rims -> 2 liter rims (different offset)

Other modifications are:

- in trunk custom build wooden box (“originally” for subwoofers but those were removed when I bought the car)
- chrome strips below the doors and all logo's and type assignments removed
- right doormirror removed
- windshield washer spray nozzles removed from hood and installed on the wipers itself
- power windows installed (will keep those, they are just too handy :p)
- alarmsystem with central locking (keep it also, pain in the *** to change the wiring back to original :s)
- LH door mirror replaced by smaller one
- folding roof installed
- rear side windows darkened with foil
- rear side window louvres painted in car colour
- Remus muffler
- radio replaced by cd-player with mp3 function and installed speakers
- 2 rear fog lights installed (obliged by law).
- wiring of type 3 installed on the tail light units
- original type 1 steering wheel installed (with horse logo= 1977 model year)
- installed wiring for ammeter and oilpressure gauge

Futur plans:
- installing rear window louvre when I find one
- replacing radio with a Double-DIN navigation unit (or when I find a non-cut dash installing an original radio)
- installation of original fender mirrors
- refurbishing the interior (carpets, door panels, seats, ...)

other ideas:
- original seat covers replacing by leather ones with the horse logo or type assignment “Celeste” (original font) on head-support or seat-back
- installing front- and rearspoilers

Other ideas are always welcome :)

Pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_thunderke

I'm just wondering which one I have concerning the Australian name: LC or LB hatch. Can't figure it out tho...
It's a 1978 Mitsubishi Celeste, meaning it has the round headlights, chrome bumpers and straight taillight units...
In Europe we would say it's the type 2.

Greetz
Sven
Last edited by BlueThunder on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webby

Re: Hi all

Post by webby »

Hi mate, welcome to the site :)
Tidy looking LC you have there :thumpsup:
Last edited by webby on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
rob020

Post by rob020 »

welcome to the site :)

ive got a celeste too, but we just called them lancer hatchbacks:(
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
yuriart10

Post by yuriart10 »

Hey guys!
My name is Yuri and I am a newbie in this commnity.. looking to connect to all the wonderful people here. Looking fwd to connect with you all.
Yuri~
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the site, I'm glad there is another Lancer/Celeste/Plymouth Arrow owner on here.
BlueThunder wrote:I'm just wondering which one I have concerning the Australian name: LC or LB hatch. Can't figure it out tho...
It's a 1978 Mitsubishi Celeste, meaning it has the round headlights, chrome bumpers and straight taillight units...
In Europe we would say it's the type 2.
The chrome bumpers with round lights are an LB model here in Australia.
The straight tail light units are all we got here. The other difference between Autralian and JDM models are the side rear grills over the small windows. The JDM grills only have 3 slots instead of 4.
JDM model pictured here

I have had 2 LB models and 2 LC models. I just bought my second '79 model LC last week.
Pictured here.
LC's have rectangle headlights, black painted straight bumpers with rubber ends, and different tail lights.

Your dash is a bit different too, here is the layout we got here. The clock has been removed for a newer wider stereo in this one.

I look forward to see/hear what you do with yours...
Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi Dave!

You have also a nice Celeste/Lancer LC! :)
What are your intentions with it?

I want to put mine as original as possible from the outside, decals and logo's from the 1977 model in stead of the 1978 model (meaning it will be with the horse logo's on the steering wheel center cap and wheel hub caps and on the back there will just be "Celeste 2000" on the right side and the GSR-badge in the centre between the light units.
On the inside I want to keep it as original as possible, but central locking, power windows and radio will stay like that.

What do you mean with the JDM model? For us, Europeans, it looks like the 1976 model, the very first Celeste. And probably the most beautiful one...

Greetz
Sven
webby

Post by webby »

JDM means Japanese Domestic Market or something similar, so "JDM model" basically means the Jap market variant of a certain car, generally with more options and better specs than local models.
For example, Aus-market Scorpions (ie Sapporo) were live axle with Astron power only, where as Jap-market cars got IRS and the option of a SOHC 4G63T, along with a nicer grille, fender mirrors, better interior etc
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

I see. So again I learned something new here :D
Thanks for the explanation! :)

Greetz
Sven
MitsiMitch

Post by MitsiMitch »

BlueThunder wrote:Hi all!

Other modifications are:

- in trunk custom build wooden box (“originally” for subwoofers but those were removed when I bought the car)
- chrome strips below the doors and all logo's and type assignments removed
- right doormirror removed
- windshield washer spray nozzles removed from hood and installed on the wipers itself
- power windows installed (will keep those, they are just too handy :p)
- alarmsystem with central locking (keep it also, pain in the *** to change the wiring back to original :s)
- LH door mirror replaced by smaller one
- folding roof installed
- rear side windows darkened with foil
- rear side window louvres painted in car colour
- Remus muffler
- radio replaced by cd-player with mp3 function and installed speakers
- 2 rear fog lights installed (obliged by law).
- wiring of type 3 installed on the tail light units
- original type 1 steering wheel installed (with horse logo= 1977 model year)
- installed wiring for ammeter and oilpressure gauge

Futur plans:
- installing rear window louvre when I find one
- replacing radio with a Double-DIN navigation unit (or when I find a non-cut dash installing an original radio)
- installation of original fender mirrors
- refurbishing the interior (carpets, door panels, seats, ...)
what radio installation kits are you going to use for your future plan?..

love to see that Double din navigation unit of yours..i have also a remus muffler and all i can say its tonal quality is great.
Last edited by MitsiMitch on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey man,welcome!!nice lookin lancer..

this car looks awsome,id slam it though! :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

time for a small update i think:

The 4G63 SOHC twin carb has been swapped for a 4G63 DOHC N/A now, but it's still a work in progress. I'm now waiting for a thermostat housing, intake manifold and fuel tank to be modified. The first 2 will be custom made and the tank will be modified to fit an in-tank fuel pump to eliminate the need for surge tank and external pumps and stuff.

other small things I did:
- logo's and type assignments reinstalled
- alarmsystem with central locking removed to make space for the ECU + wiring for the 4g63 DOHC N/A engine. I'm using the stock wiring loom of a 1991 Galant GTI Dynamic 4. (This is the 4WD version of your GSR Galant I think...) The ECU is now placed on the RH side behind the glove box

pics will come...
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

Just moved this topic from Introduce yourself section to the Builds section. Nice car mate hope the progress goes well :D
BlueThunder

Re: BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

small update: some pictures from what has been done from the beginning until now.
Please feel free to add a comment or idea's or whatsoever...

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/BluThu ... N-A%20Swap
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Looks awesome BT! How are you going with clearance between the EFI manifod and the brake booster? And it looks like you've gone to the effort of making a custom external water gallery to accommodate the heater unit. :thumpsup:
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

geezer101 wrote:Looks awesome BT! How are you going with clearance between the EFI manifod and the brake booster? And it looks like you've gone to the effort of making a custom external water gallery to accommodate the heater unit. :thumpsup:
Thanks Geezer!

Well, I have 2 option running on that intake manifold:
1) modify the stock one, meaning changing the side the throttle body is, closing of the EGR-crap, and cutting the flange and weld it back on under an angle to tilt the whole thing up. Don't know if this will work so i have also option 2which is:
2) having a custom manifold made (this is currently in progress but it takes really long :( )

Yeah, I didn't want to change too much on the engine itself so I (had) made a 90° angle on the stock water tube and chose to have a fixed tube running at the outside, just above the chassis beam because if I would take a long flexible hose, the bend radius of that would be rather big and looks terrible. Or to have it running more straight it would get knicks at the bends.
The fixed tube makes it easier, I just will need a few very short hoses and that's it.

The thermostat housing is a different thing, I don't want to use the front exit on the head because I'm planning on having the intake ducts passing there: from the intake manifold to the other side of the car where an oper air filter will be (K&N). The thermostat housing I would like to use is one like GLANT made for his Galant... Anyone wants to make me a copy of that with integrated inline thermostat welded to it would be awesome? GLANT told me he doesn't have access to the tooling anymore :(