Phils GA Galant

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
DanTurboLancer

Re: Phils GA Galant

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Just hang onto it man, as you said you will never find spares,
So even if you have to remove all the parts and store them somewhere...
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

She looks great Phil!! I can't wait to have mine finished but she will be a while!! :) Top props go to you for keeping another alive!

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Been a while since I've made a post on here. Progress has been happening at a slow but steady pace.

Pulled the belt drive motor out of the orange one over easter
with my new purchase
Couldnt believe how much mud and grease was on it

I'm using the orange one to get my spare motor running before putting it in, as it has been sitting around for some years. Its running now and looking like it will be a good motor.

I finally got a lancer hatch steering wheel, looks good and much nicer then the stock one.

I have a new daily coming soon so the work will continue.
I have an idea for a paint scheme to finish/fix my paint, will upload a photoshop a bit later.
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Good stuff Phil, looking good mate!
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

she is indeed looking good..quick question: do all galants come with that pattern ontop of the heater adjusters inside the cabin??those 3 shooting star type things??
i f@#kn love that! :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

I have them in my ga but not in the gd wagon.. ;)

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ISKA8 wrote:she is indeed looking good..quick question: do all galants come with that pattern ontop of the heater adjusters inside the cabin??those 3 shooting star type things??
i f@#kn love that! :thumpsup:
GA/B's do, but GC/D's don't.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

So the progress is starting again!

Recently sold my spare GA. Had to finally give in and realise I don't have room for 3 cars. The galant is now off the road.

My plans are replace knackered 1300 with the 1600 I have. Goin to strip down the 1600 and check whats in it and maybe put a small amount of $ in to freshen it up. Bolt on the 45 weber.

Fix the rest of the paint - the roof boot and bonnet.

It will remain a 4 speed as the skills requiredto mod a GA to 5 speed are beyond me at this stage :(

Planning to have it back on the road mid next year, but not rushing as that is when I have made the costly mistakes in the past!

Most recent purchase (pretty stoked):

More to come in the coming weeks!
71 GA Galant - Project
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

gaPhil wrote:It will remain a 4 speed as the skills requiredto mod a GA to 5 speed are beyond me at this stage :(
Phil, you know the Brotherhood are always there to help.
gaPhil wrote:Fix the rest of the paint - the roof boot and bonnet.
If you need a hand, I can help. Just let me get the one that's in my shed out first... :think:

That's a sexy looking Dash Phil, I can't wait to see one with my own eyes instead of looking a a pic.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

haha be careful what you wish for Dave!

Cheers.
71 GA Galant - Project
A112H

Post by A112H »

That really is a sexy looking dash, I have always loved first gen Galants but have never been impressed with the dash.
Can't wait to see it moving along :thumpsup:
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Cheers Jason,

Yeah they are a way better dash, plus now idon't have to mess around with trying to get an aftermarket tacho to look ok in the car!
71 GA Galant - Project
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

progress is looking great Phil =)
quick question, what is that dash out of? And is it bolt in or some mods required?
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

It's out of a 'GS' model galant (we didn't get them in aust)

Straight bolt in, some fiddling with the wiring for the tacho.
71 GA Galant - Project
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Finally had some time to do some work yesterday. Pulled the motor out, starting to clean and prep the engine bay to re-paint it. Just going with the original blue colour. I'd been wanting to get the motor out for a long time.

motor is completey shagged i think, was losin alot of oil. It had so much blow-by it disintegrated the pod filter i had on the breather and sprayed red oily shit everywhere.

On a much angrier note, :banh: , i managed to smash a headlight. One of the legs off the engine crane fell down on it, LUCKILY i kept 2 spare from my orange galant. But still, i could relate to this guy:

Work will be slow but steady over the next six months (going to europe in june) so funds are very limited for the galant. Planning to at least get the engine bay finished, ready to put the 1600 in.
71 GA Galant - Project
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Glad to see progress with this Phil. You've been quiet of late...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

gaPhil wrote:It had so much blow-by it disintegrated the pod filter i had on the breather and sprayed red oily shit everywhere.
Just a tip Phil ..... those small filters are probably too restrictive to connect direct to the breather - too much pressure buildup. You would be better off running the breather to a catch tank, to give some expansion room.

I just used a 1L alloy drink bottle (about $2 from SuperCrap) plus a couple of garden irrigation fittings. It's mounted using a an old fire extinguisher bracket I had floating around. I also stuffed some steel scourers into the bottle, to act as baffling.

(excuse the dodgy phone pic)
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

75wagon wrote:Glad to see progress with this Phil. You've been quiet of late...
Yeah i have been flat out with work and busy on the weekends.

Just a tip Phil ..... those small filters are probably too restrictive to connect direct to the breather - too much pressure buildup. You would be better off running the breather to a catch tank, to give some expansion room.
That is a good tip, i thought you'd only need a catch can for turbo setups really. After seeing the crap come out of it i wouldnt hook it back up to the air filter again.

That setup looks pretty good, better then paying the $100 odd for a brand name one.
71 GA Galant - Project
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

No problem Phil.

I used to have mine hooked to the aircleaner (as per factory) but when I had it dynoed last year Simon Gardiner at Powerplay disconnected it & told me :
- you don't want crankcase fumes going into the carb (significant power loss, stuffs up mixture etc), and
- have as little backpressure on the breather as possible (minimises oil leaks etc).

Ideally have it open (which is legally dodgy ?), otherwise use a catch can with plenty of expansion space. (I suggested using a filter direct on the breather like yours, but he advised against it).

If you want some better pics of mine, let me know.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers for the tips Dave, I currently have my ASStron set up with a pod on the outlet, same as gaPhil's was, I do have a catch can in the shed so this will now be my job for tomorrow :thumpsup:
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Started degreasing the engine bay today and was suprised (for the most part) how good the paint comes up. I dont think i will have to re-paint the whole engine bay.

There is some fairly extensive surface rust under the battery box though:

At first i thought the paint had faded above the battery, but it seems someone has had a go at re-painting with house paint, note the run on the right hand side -

So now im wondering whether its easier to pull the battery shelf out so i can properly clean up behind it. How easy is it to remove in one piece? I assume its just spot welded so i will need to drill those out?
My second thought is taking an angle grinder to the shelf and moving the battery to the boot. Is this an easy mod? Where do you run the cable for the battery, under or in the car?
71 GA Galant - Project
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am not sure about the GA/B's but the GC/D's have pleanty of holes to run the cable through. But it would be harder to hide in a 4 door.
I have mine on the drivers side right behind the tail light. I run the cable through the hole behind the back seat, under the back seat on the passenger side. It then runs along the side panel and between the body and front seat belt (this would be harder to hide on a sedan), it then tucks in between the body and the passenger seat. The body cross member the seat bolts too has a series of holes in it perfect for nice big cables to run through :) I have then run it inside the kick panel to the fire wall. I had to drill a hole in the fire wall so made sure it was out of the way of passengers feet and not going to interfer with anything in the engine bay. Found a rubber bung that fit (it was from the boot floor of a GD) cut a hole in that so the cable fit tightly and fed it onto the starter motor.
I used 0g red cable due to the distance, nearly 2m all up.
For earthing I also used 0g black cable and ran one from the battery to the rear bumper bar mount and another one from the engine block to the strut tower.
So far I have done just over 1000k's and all has worked perfectly.

Can't get any more pics of it as it is all hidden under carpet and seats, lol

Just looking at these pics, I guess I should have cleaned inside the boot, lol
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Cheers Jason, thats good info :thumpsup:

How'd you go removing the shelf, cut it up with an angle grinder?
71 GA Galant - Project
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, just drilled out what I could get to and hit the rest with the grinder. Little bit of bog, slapped some paint on and it came up a treat.

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I reckon the best cable to use for relocating the battery is 10mm welding cable ... preferably the aluminium-cored stuff (nice & light & flexible, and designed for lots of current). I have never been comfortable with the idea of using cable designed for sound systems, no matter how fat it is !

Also, I would strongly recommend using a fully sealed battery. A non-sealed battery like Jason's setup there is a risk of hydrogen fumes building up in the boot .... which can go KABOOM !!
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

davetrees wrote:.... Also, I would strongly recommend using a fully sealed battery. A non-sealed battery like Jason's setup there is a risk of hydrogen fumes building up in the boot .... which can go KABOOM !!
Not that bad really, as the C-pillar trim acts as a "breather hole" for any gases to escape if any occur,
I have the exact same set up in my car.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

gaPhil wrote:So now im wondering whether its easier to pull the battery shelf out so i can properly clean up behind it. How easy is it to remove in one piece? I assume its just spot welded so i will need to drill those out?
You'd just drill the spot welds out to do that. Not that much of a difficult job, unless some of the spot welds are difficult to get to.
gaPhil wrote:My second thought is taking an angle grinder to the shelf and moving the battery to the boot. Is this an easy mod? Where do you run the cable for the battery, under or in the car?
I wouldn't call it difficult, but time consuming to gain very little.
If it was for a show car then yes.
If it was for clearance reasons (eq: 77galantv6's car) then yes.
A lot of guys who race their cars move it to the back for various reasons, weight distribution, fire prevention minimisation (in case of a front type accident) and a few others I'm sure the members here will remind me of, but escape me atm.
But just for the sake of it, on a street driven, non show car, I wouldn't bother.

Just as a matter of interest, under the new registry laws, wouldn't this one require an engineers cert?

Degrease and high pressure water blast, you'd be surprised how well you can clean around it like that. I can get hold of a high pressure water blaster if you need.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

The main reason for moving the battery to the boot (IMHO) is it gives you a heap more under-bonnet space ! No other reason to do it in a road car ....
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

The work has continued at its slow and steady pace. Not much coin to put into it, until i get back from holidays in july.
Continued cleaning the engine bay today, decided to take the gearbox out and degrease it also. Always nice to see some nice metal under 40 years of mud and grease.

Noticed there is some silicone/gasket around some of the holes. Not sure why this is, if it has been re-built at some stage or was just leaking. It never leaked since i have had it.
71 GA Galant - Project
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

gaPhil wrote:Noticed there is some silicone/gasket around some of the holes. Not sure why this is, if it has been re-built at some stage or was just leaking.
They come like that from the factory.

If you are interested, I now have a high pressure water blaster so you can clean that gearbox up even better?