84GKSIG Build EFI plus more

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
geezer101

Re: 84GKSIG Build EFI plus more

Post by geezer101 »

I agree with your thermo switch being on the bottom hose. Yes everyone, the top of the radiator is where the hottest coolant is passing from and logically is where a thermo switch would turn the fans on at it's peak temperature, unless you get a coolant leak and the sender is no longer immersed. Then the fans won't save your engine from a melt down. A compromise on cooling effiency, but a fail safe if your motor starts peeing green. 8-)
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

its been a while, a little too long not very much has changed on the GK since last posts which i hope to change hopefully soon ( i keep saying that )
moving on though.
been toying with different paints on and off but was still undecided on a colour and i was going to stick with with my custom mix blend of teal and mazda blue but i wouldn't feel i achieved anything if i painted it the same colour.
i decided at one point that i wanted to go for a European theme. if done correctly it should work out a treat and ill be very happy.. so now i have a colour ive chosen - may not be every ones pick of colour but i like it :) similar to the alpaca /faun colour of the GK GSR but not as dark and heavier in metalics

yep badge isnt strait but gives you an idea of where id like to see it
see the metalics a little better in different light
dont get too excited though, only sprayed a small section of the guard to see if id be happy with the colour

colour came out of a can, clear coat directly off the gun no polishing - kinda flat for acrylic
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looks great! I love it. It's like an original, but different :) good job mate :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

cheers :)
hopefully one day the whole thing will look like that small section on the guard - will have to see what happens in time to come but least i know what colour ill be aiming for :) accents everything thats black nicely

dont think ill be able to spray it my self though

acrylic paint - waring one of those active element masks made for paining and i still felt awful afterwards and today :(
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea that colour and black go so well together! I was going to paint my old gc that colour.
N/A ALL THE WAY
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Electric mirrors are all good and well when they're factory fitted or offered as a factory option, but what do you do when you've spent a couple hours modding 2 mirrors to form one to then find you have no where to connect them and no way to control them? you install a controller of course, nothing fancy really just a switch out of a magna ( TR in my case ) will do just fine.

I wont go into the wiring, just share some pics of progress.
at the time my phone decided it was going to be stupid so forgive the bad photography
different camera used at this point
wasnt too keen on doing this to begin with as im not a fan of cutting stuff

for the moment its all just sitting there, one day ill get round to it, least its ready for when that day comes
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Nice modding their mate......love the modded with factory look theme you have there

Looks tops
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep agreed, nice mod, and factory looking.
Excuse my ignorance, but did Sigma's come with electric mirrors, or have you adapted them from something else?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Scorpma82 wrote:Nice modding their mate......love the modded with factory look theme you have there

Looks tops
cheers :)
75wagon wrote:Yep agreed, nice mod, and factory looking.
Excuse my ignorance, but did Sigma's come with electric mirrors, or have you adapted them from something else?

Dave...
thank you :)

the sigma here in Australia didn't, how ever the galant turbo Japanese import sigma with the irs and all the fancy bits, the 84 model came with factory electric mirrors (which ive never been able to find any where), mine are a product of 2 mirrors which in turn meant that I didn't have to re drill new holes in my doors and also kept the mirrors ability to fold back and forth for legal purposes :thumpsup:
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

heres some better pics :thumpsup:
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

And your girlfriend approves! ;)

Good work hunny ♡♡♡
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Lookin good (H)
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

just to add on top of the list of shit of everything else thats gone wrong, now the GK wont run right.

list of things ive checked is as follows:

vac lines
compression perfect on all cylinders
spark plugs brand new gaped
spark plug leads brand new
distributor cap
swapped out dizzy and checked connector
swapped out coil and transistor and cleaned connectors - no difference
ECU swapped ecu with a shit one i had which ran perfect but wouldnt let the car rev over 3000 rpm - also same result
temp sensor under manifold and plug
fuel pressure regulator replaced with a brand new one - no difference
throttle body position sensor, replaced with 3 others all 3 same result, replaced the TPS plug cause it looked sus, no difference
checked injectors and tested in and out of car, under pressuremchecked wiring between all sensors and injectors ecu plug all came up good after changing the TPS plug
swapped out the airflow meter with a known working one from neighbors car - still the same result
replaced injectors still same result
replaced icv and checked and cleaned its plug - still the same
changed fuel filter no difference
replaced fuel pump made no difference
worth mentioning ive cleaned every plug while checking

last time i ran the car would have been about a month ago so dumped all old fuel and filled it with fresh 95 - before starting

ive run out of shit to check, any other suggestions ?
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

worth mentioning ive blown compressed air through the main fuel line and fuel return to check for blockages and both were good
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What sort of not running right?
Could it be a vacuum leak?
Sorry, I'm pretty much useless when it comes to EFI, that why I stick with carbs.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

one of the first things i checked, no leaks even sprayed water and degreaser around the manifold to be sure, no difference, as for what sort of not running right

its not consistent, runs rich with clouds of black smoke then runs lean and keeps leaning out till it seems like its going to completely stall out then picks back up, backfires randomly some times it will let you rev it and its smooth on deceleration - no difference if the engine is hot or cold - all wiring and connectors are good, cottees suggested i change my whole loom, ive tried moving the loom around while the cars running to see if i can change its mood and no difference.
ecu isnt throwing any codes, engine light comes on with the alternator light when its just about to stall thats about it
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

u running O2 sensors??????
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

for the couple of times ive started the car in the shed i found the o2 sensor didnt make much difference, car also ran fine without it being plugged in
ddt

Post by ddt »

84GKSIG wrote:its not consistent, runs rich with clouds of black smoke then runs lean and keeps leaning out till it seems like its going to completely stall out then picks back up, backfires randomly some times it will let you rev it and its smooth on deceleration
84GKSIG wrote:ive run out of shit to check, any other suggestions ?
could it be some kind of valve or valve-spring problem?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

im thinking more of a sensor issue.....air flow meter/MAP sensor/O2 sensor (already suggested i know)

Maybe a dirty/gummed up throttle body?????
simon

Post by simon »

If it runs rich then lean could it be temp sender,the ecu might think the motor is cold and fuel it accordingly or think it is hot and lean it out.i am certainly no expert on efi, but have heard of temp senders causing problems before
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Shades of a Honda odyssey I worked on the other weekend :facepalm:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

what was its issue ? i think the problem here is i own the thing so its being difficult
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

simon wrote:If it runs rich then lean could it be temp sender,the ecu might think the motor is cold and fuel it accordingly or think it is hot and lean it out.i am certainly no expert on efi, but have heard of temp senders causing problems before
temp sensor was replaced with another- still the same problem, tested both and both are working as supposed to
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

I replaced the flux capacitor... :ban:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

how stupid of me, i didnt check the flux capacitor
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

TVM006 wrote:I replaced the flux capacitor... :ban:
i just checked the flux capacitor by shorting it strait to 1.21gigawatts of power and i ended up in a car park, there was delorian and there was a guy in a radiation suit
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

ive given up with this for now, its done my head in, replaced everything at least twice, checked the engine mechanically and its doing everything right so its won, i dont care, wasted too much time on it trying to work out wtf is going on now.