my new sigma build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
metaldrift

my new sigma build

Post by metaldrift »

Back on here after being away for 6mths, previosly I had a GH sigma wagon on here but since I gave that to mate I haven't been on here. However missed having a siggy so bought myself a GH sedan today, and another one for parts.

my old wagon

The new sedan!

The parts car.
metaldrift

Re: my new sigma build

Post by metaldrift »

Almost dont want too touch this one, only 180,000k's and near perfect. Only things I've found so far are small hole in drivers seat (5cent size), one 2inch crack in plastic above steering collum, rear passenger door ash tray plastic cover has come off, missing one dress trim on rim, small dent in rear drivers side door and touch of rust drivers side of windscreen.

touch of rust here

small dent here.

almost seems a shame to pull it apart and modify it, although i gotta do the head gasket cause she got a river of oil running down the motor lol.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Good luck with the new build mate, looks pretty clean and straight.
Was your wagon the one you were fitting the EF front bumper?? If it was how did that work out? Got pics of the front?
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Cheers mate, yeh it was that one, I never finished it as I gave it to my mate, I'll get some photo's on weekend of it, he's going to be changing it a bit and painting it tropicana green.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

picked up the vrs kit for the 2.6ltr and have a full gasket kit ordered for the 2ltr. Also spent $200 on some heatproof paint to do all the suspension ect under the car in, and will be painting the engine up to at some point. Hope to start pulling the parts car to peices tonight after work too.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

going to use the tilt function on these seats in my car

interior is in good nick!

yep, head's gone

gee u don't get much paint for $200

metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Amazing what you find pulling cars apart, this sparrow's nest was on top of the fuel tank lol

3/4 way there with pulling it apart.

I knew the head was stuffed in this but didn't think it was as bad as it was lol, snapped 2 of the head bolts clean off trying to undo them, so head must be warped to the s^%thouse. Have to get the block, gearbox, and diff out, and the complete front rack for my mates sigma and then scrap the rest. So still looking round for more sigma motor's again lol!
rob020

Post by rob020 »

is the block still good? just get a magna head/inlet manifold, connect a few radiator hoses and swap your siggy carb onto it and take advantage of the bigger valves/ports and better availabillity... thats what i did on my gh, cant even notice the lower compresion, especially with the timing advanced :thumpsup:

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Yeh mate, was thinking of doing that, going to just regasket the 2lt for now and get rwc first, then if the 2.6 block ok going to make a 2.4 with it. Only got the motor box left to pull out of the wagon, was gonna do it today but had to be raining!
Also ordered new rear shocks and lowered springs, hope to have them by the end of this week and get the 2ltr gasket kit tomorow as had to be ordered in.
I have 17 inch mags for the front, just need to get some 35/215 tyres for em, and have 18inch mags for the rear with new tyres, will put them on soon as i get rwc as there not actually legal lol, but there pretty much a matching set so will look good, but will raise the car an inch cause of the bigger rims so with lowered springs will be about standard height.
Looking round the wreckers for a couple manual gearboxes and a manual pedal box, and magna heads and efi, might have to trip down to brisy to find em.
After RWC I can start on building a bodykit for it too, gonna be making a wide body kit up for it from scratch, including wheel archs, side skirts, door skirts. Also making rear boot lip, trying to find clear taillights to mod to fit and rear bar with small section removable to fit towbar tongue. Also will make up a front bar, thinking something like a mad max interceptor look front. Plan is to have all bolt on/off for ease of fixing (u always get hit by someone), and will be building the front and rear bars off the original bumper bars to ensure crash protection and legal.

Some other things I will be doing is getting a remote boot release, extra lighting inside, retrim/mod interior, full stereo setup with 15inch sub, fully painted/detailed undercarriage, full repaint with racing stripes, keyless entry ect.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

sounds like a good plan :thumpsup:

i like your door reflectors, same as the ones that came with my gh, lol

you swapping the wagon doors onto it? im contemplating this myself, but trying to get an idea what it would look like... you should do the r&d for me :thumpsup:

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

lol, door reflectors where on wagon, me mate threw them on sedan for a laugh.
Not using any of the wagon doors on my sedan as they are different, the front doors have different mirror and windows and rear's are different shape.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

yea can still put the gj onwards wagon fronts on your gh sedan, the different mirrors/windows is the idea..

just noticed, does the sedan have headlight protectors? that is cool, i thought my gh was granny specced out pretty hard when i got it, but im missing them, good score, lol
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Yeh i prefer the original doors myself. pulled motor and box out the wagon tonight, hope to have it gone tomorow, the i can start on the sedan!
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Slowly getting there with everything.
Getting ready to pull motor out.

This is what I saw when i pulled top cover off lol

snapped these head bolts off.

motor and box out, all front suspension out, just want break lines and diff then off to the crusher.

metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

I hate winter, 2pair socks, 2 trousers, 2 shirts, jumper and jacket and I still freeze at this time. Trying to put new gasket on head, hopefully it works to stop the water in oil :\ . Cause I need to get rwc so I can swap rego over, if it works tonight I'll be trying to get rwc in morning before work!. (H) Then the real work can begin! 8o|
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Well, I had 2 running motors, now I have 0! Head on the 2.6ltr I cant even get off, without realising it I undid all the head bolts except the 2 that snapped, then next day pulled the motor with gearbox out of the car.! :o The lifting points are both on the head and it still didn't come apart, didnt realise I'd done it till I had it out on the ground though! lol. :wut: :stupid: Then I pulled head off the 2ltr, was going to replace gasket, 2 of the valves are shot, one with a hole through it lol, and the water ports have corroded to the point there nearly through to the bore's. So no I aint got a motor that works lol. :banh: :banh:
Dang I need a drink. Then the water pump in my mates sigma shot itself, got another one and it's shot, so have to try another again, and the motor we where building for his as a replacement, the timing chain cover cracked when he did it up! I'm having a good week lol! :@ :lol:
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Firstly breathe....

Next these things have a torque setting for a reason.
Thirdly put the motor back in the car. bolt it up and then affix lifting hooks to the head. Then lift the whole car up by the head. leave it sit, if it is like jags (whihc is how you get their heads off) after 45 minute you will head a bang and the car will be on the ground and the head in the air.... :thumpsup:

good luck.

Cheers,

PS: if the bolts are not corroded then the tension should be off them and they should almost just screw out now....give it a go....Ezy out might be an option.
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Yeh olds, had motor sitting off head lift points for hour and didn't come off, i'm pretty sure the heads warped bad enough to lock head bolts into it, not sure what your talking about with the bolts not corroded, less you mean if head dropped off then i understand. When u said they have torque setting for reason where you talking about timing chain cover? Cause when I said he did it up I ment with his fingers, they wherent getting torqued up, I know the correct setting's for torquing em up and have 2 torque tools.

Thanks to scorpioncollector for selling me a head, no wreckers in toowoomba or brisbane had any!
Hope to have a rwc in next couple days.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Fanging round town yesterday got pulled up and told there a guy selling a GH down here, went and had a look, fella had 2 GH sedans, one's a SE (i think, the top class GH) model, so buying both of em for $500. 2ltr with 4spd man and 2.6ltr with 5speed man! Gonna pull one for parts and get the other one built up! :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's awesome, got to love it when stuff like that happens :thumpsup:
metaldrift wrote:Fanging round town yesterday got pulled up
I'm guessing not by a cop?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

lol, na just a mate. But my mate who has the GH wagon got pulled up and booked, and have to get new tyres, put air cleaner on, make exhaust stick out further then bodywork on it now lol, already done it all cept the new tyres.