1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
claytron

1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Build

Post by claytron »

Hey

I have finally finished stripping my Scorpion.
I have removed all the old body filler (bog) from the body.
and about to remove some surface rust with rust remover and then wipe it down for etch priming,
then applying the body filler after etch priming so that the metal is sealed.
I bought some primer filler for after I have finished applying the body filler so it does not suck in
any moisture also to prepare the body for paint.

Decided to go with acrylic paint and finish with a 2 pack clear coat for protection.
I was thinking of painting it a similar sort of orange but still haven't decided.

I am spraying the primer down with a - 2mm Spray Gun http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... Code=R-77G
and spraying the acrylic and clear coat down with a - 1.4mm Spray Gun http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... SV890-143G
My compressor is a 2.5hp 240L/min direct drive.- http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... Code=HD240

I have left around the engine bay as I didn't want to put any paint stripper around the engine but will probably just sand it and not strip
it back to the bare metal.
Some of the bits of orange paint that can be seen are covered by lights bumpers and trim so can't be see
Most of the orange painted bits will be covered by the primer anyhow.

Here are some pics of before stripping and after stripping.

Before

After

Hope that's not too many pics
If there's anything I missed or Any help or tips on prep or spraying that you could share
would be great.

Thanks

Clayton :thumpsup:
pistorf

Re: 1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Build

Post by pistorf »

If you want it to last DO NOT put 2pack clear over acrylic. Acrylic softens in hot waether and moves,whereas 2pack doesn't,so after a while.you will end up with cracks every where.
also,1.4mm is way too small a setup for acrylic. Use a 2mm.
This advice is from a praypainter with over 30 years experience.
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks. I will make sure to put acrylic clear on it then.

Why won't a 1.4mm tip work for acrylic?
I have had some people tell em it will.

Thanks
Clayton
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

you would want to be etch priming this car today or tomoro or you will have to rub it all down again.. the metal will oxidise and create a layer of oxidisation between the metal and paint.. not good.

i believe it is best to strip and etch one panel at a time, then once the etch is on its safe to leave fora while..
claytron

Post by claytron »

I haven't rubbed it all down yet as it is raining, I have the car covered but
will be applying the rust remover and wax and grease remover soon as it stops
hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.

By wiping it down you did mean wiping it down with the wax and grease remover?

I have kept all the panels dry and I am going to apply the rust remover to any of the panels
that have surface rust anyhow.

Thanks

Clayton
claytron

Post by claytron »

Finished Etch Priming today got the whole car done and all the rust removed.

Hopefully be able to apply the body filler and primer Monday and Tuesday.

Any tips on applying body filler would be great as this is my first time
doing it.

Clayton
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Just on your painting, some tips i've picked up, a water trap helps, also pump up the compressor and then turn off for couple min, then pull drain release valve on bottom to ensure no water in tank. With the body filler, spread over a wider area than u think, not too thick but it's usaully eaiser to sand flat than to realise u still got a bit on the edge that needs filling as it'll tend to crack at that point if you put more on. hope that helps, it's not hard as i've taught myself as well.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

very good man. i have wanted to learn the body side of cars for a while. . i can do pretty much all mechanical things now. . hope its going well

and no, there is no such thing as too many pics lol
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks Guys

Nearly finished body filling and primer and in next weekend if have time
I should be able to paint.'

Clayton
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

claytron wrote:Thanks. I will make sure to put acrylic clear on it then.

Why won't a 1.4mm tip work for acrylic?
I have had some people tell em it will.

Thanks
Clayton
You been doing some great work there Clayton.

Reasons for the 1.4mm being to small it that it atomises the paint to much so that by the time it hits the panel it is too dry and thus will not adhere or finish right. The bigger the tip the less it atomises thus the bigger the droplets. This is one reason that 2pk will finish better off the gun as the droplets of paint are smaller and thus will less orange peel. But the acrylic system doesnt allow such small droplet due to the chemical composition of the paint. Just trust the people saying that 1.4mm is too small.

Secondly the wiping down that shuggy is talking about is not wax and grease remover, this removes contaminants and cleans the panel it does not strip the oxide coating and protect it prior to etching. You need to use a product like deoxine (I think that is the spelling) otherwise there will be a flashing or oxide (read rust) all over the panel and will take off underneath your paint and then bubble sometime down the track (usually after completeing the vehicle and registering it and driving it, then it will come out and you will have to do it again.

Remember humidity and rain are your worse enemy when spraying as the water in the air can end up in your job. Water trap will remove the water from the air supply to the gun but not the water in the air surrounding the job.

Keep up the work and you will eventually be happy with the job, oh and by the way. 95% of the job for finishing the car will come from the last 5% of the job....

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

im following this topic closely. i want to be able to do my own paint too, but only if i cant save enough money by the time iits time to paint. thinkin of paying a mate painter and hiring a booth for 2 pac.. we will see!

best of luck with your paint mate :thumpsup:
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

shuggy wrote:im following this topic closely. i want to be able to do my own paint too, but only if i cant save enough money by the time iits time to paint. thinkin of paying a mate painter and hiring a booth for 2 pac.. we will see!

best of luck with your paint mate :thumpsup:
shuggy, there is nothing wrong with doing your own paint, need to take your time and invest in the right equipment. If you plan on doing 1 car then it would be of more benefit to pay someone, if you plan on doing more than one then the investment in the equipment is a good idea. You can purchase a second hand compressor with the right gear for cheaper than new BUT you need to make sure it will suit your application and the tank is big enough. I have a old LPG cylinder I got tested and cleaned whihc I use as a reserve now so my air supply is now 180L :D. You most important thing is your gun. My recommendation is purchase new. Get a good gun and it will last you a lifetime. Dont lend it to anyone and look after it.

2K cannot be safely sprayed at home, so yes a booth and suited painter is the best way. Just for the equipment to do the job you will spend approx $900. Then paint on top of this. I got a bigger compressor when I first started because I wanted to run air tools as well which consumes more air than a spray gun. So consider all your options before making a purchase, and the net result will be great and a skill you can use often. I plan to spray my tx3 soonish so can post pics of what prep etc that I go through. Then it will hopefully be the coupe.. woohoo! followed by my EH drool.

Cheers
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks guys

Yeah this is my first go and people are definitely right when they say 95% prep and 5% actual painting cause it is.

I invested a bit of money in some equipment my compressor cost me around $600 and guns around $180 and paint so far around $70 that's
without colour.

I have nearly finished the prep just have to finish up flattening the body and body filler which will probably take the weekend.
Hopefully in 2 weeks time i should be able to paint it.

If all goes well I should be able to go onto other cars after finishing this build.
Still got a fair ways to go as I have to give the engine a tune up and things like that.

Thanks again for the help everyone :thumpsup:

Clayton
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

best of luck with your spray mate

i have a compressor . 120L i think, but its not a fast pumping tank.

im pretty sure i will do all the prep myself. build myself a rotiserie for the car because i just bought an oxy welding setup.. then once the underside is completely done i will stick some wheels on it and roll it into a paint shop :thumpsup:
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

shuggy do you have a rotessie plan or just going to try and work one out? I have some options if you need suggestions. Due to most of the legal issues these days you will not find a rotessie for sale and if you do it will be cut up in piece for you to weld together with the ownus on you.

Remember take you time, and many photos, also ask many questions 120L is a good size but if your line is restrictive then you might end up with a problem. Even if you compressor takes ages to bring the pressure up 120L should cover a bonnet of a galant or sigma easily. When I had my single tank I only had 70L and this would do a galant bonnet without a problem.

I have also done a KE10 corolla for a mate and the tank space I got at present almost did the whole car without resupply. Was amazing. Definately new improvement. Cannot wait until my KE11 is doen... yum yum yum

Cheers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

trying not to hijack here ahah

but yes im doing one just from the top of my head. was just going to buy 3mm SHS steel and start welding haha..

i planned on just engine hoisting up each side of the car to fix it to the rotiserie and then didnt bother thinking about letting it down hahah

what options are there for one? was thinking of just googling/youtubing it and copying one with a pin system to fix it on a certain angle..
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I built my own Shuggy. I've since modded it slightly by adding some wheels so i can move it, but otherwise it's been great. Can roll the car by myself with ease.

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i remember reading that, thats the topic that made me think about doing it :thumpsup:

looks simple enough, but i might use two different sizes of SHS on the bottom rail so i can make it fit different cars by slididng the smaller inside the other :thumpsup: