AWD Sigma / Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

AWD Sigma / Scorpion

Post by A112H »

Okay guys, I am just chucking this out there but to be honest I have been giving it some thought and would love some input.

Here is how this started

L200 - Doors, front gaurds and bonnet interchangable with Sigma/Scorpion
Engine and gearbox inter changable with L200, Sigma and Scorpion

A few drinks later and some crazy drawings and I have a plan

Why couldn't a GE Scorpion use the underpinnings from a L200 and make a evo 4G63 powered AWD 1979 Mitsubishi coupe??

Okay it would be a lot of effing around and some serious work, but the time and effort would be worth it with an old Sapporo no one wants (IRS).

Hit me with ya thoughts :)
A112H

Re: AWD Sigma / Scorpion

Post by A112H »

Just thinking on this post, would a L200 front diff fit into a Sigma/Scorpion? I think they are torsion beam? But worse things have been acheived
colta51

Post by colta51 »

:think: thats a diffrent idear but like you said probly cost sum big doller$...?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I had the idea of putting the complete running gear from an EVO into my Sigma GN. I think it was the EVO IV that was the narrowest of all the EVOs, and would fit the width of the Sigma the best. With the measurement, I worked out that with stock EVO tyres, it would all fit under the Sigma, but within around a few mm between the tyres and the guards. The EVO parts might also be able to be narrowed a bit for a better fit. With all the time and money that would be required, it might be better to just have the EVO. Would be a good project if I found a cheap EVO wreck. Another option is to also look at the L300. They also came with a AWD version. The transmission from the AWD might bolt straight to a 4G54 or 4G63.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Cottees wrote:The transmission from the AWD might bolt straight to a 4G54 or 4G63.
It does all the box is in these things is a KM131 with transfer case and side link shift instead of top rail. I have converted a L300 AWD box into the case of the 4 speed Galant and then placed the transfer case to the back of this. Reason for this was because we built a GC AWD mudbash car... was the easiest way to do it and still have the 4 speed. Was a pig of a conversion out front but I dont know how plausable this would be for a road car. Biggest issue was the front diff and driveshaft. If I was to do it again I would look at adapting a IRS setup in there and run colt FWD front with custom drive shafts. would be alot lighter and better in design.

You will need trans tunnel mods.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

L300 4WD van driveline,
and a Starion Turbo donk.

The van driveline would be weak as but
A112H

Post by A112H »

Ideas like these is the exact reason my Wife wishes we don't win the lotto :lol: Not only would I build things like this but I have a crazy love for the P76 8-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

:think:
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Not only would I build things like this but I have a crazy love for the P76
The old 44gallon drum in the boot thing I guess.

It was one of the original design specs for the P76 Leyland....

Pity the Scorp's wern't originally designed for 4WD.

They shortened a Starion and made it 4WD for competition rally but untill the VR4 came along, there was nothing.

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

P76? The road legal boat?
A112H

Post by A112H »

A112H

Post by A112H »

I actually like the Marina Coupes as well, lol

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I was giving the AWD Sigma idea another thought, and found these pics:

That is from an L300. The front of the trans looks like a KM 132.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Why not just get a 4WD L200 and put Sigma or Scorpion front panels on it?
Or remove the L200 body from the chassis and then graft the Sigma or Scorpion body to it? Probably Sigma high roof wagon would look best.
Of course this would actually be a 4X4 not an all wheel drive.
But with a body lift 33's and Evo donk, wow what a Sigma 4X4 high roof wagon it would be.

As for P76's, my brother has had 5 of them (he even raced them), he belonged to the P76 sporting car club.
As for Marina's, I'm embarrassed, but I don't mind them either. Actually thought about buying one for my first car. The 2.6 super six would be the way to go. 3 speed floor shift as standard and all they need is the twin SU set up off an Austin Tasmin and they go pretty well.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

you guys are forgetting a few things...

L200's dont have a center diff in the gearbox so you will only be able to drive it in the dirt/mud

why do you want a 4wd car? the l200 suspension setup is no good for a fast road car as it does not have independent front end
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

been thinking about this, if you use a full evo setup the problem is the motor and box sits east west and might find problems in fitting it in the sigma scorpion engine bay with all the extra engine and gearbox mounting positions. Now a Subaru WRX has the motor gearbox setup north west so it might be plausible to use a WRX drive line if your not too concerned with using Subaru hardware
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

If someone was to use a complete EVO IV drive line, the width would be a few mm too wide, so widening the Sigma/Scorpion with wider wheel arches would fix that problem. The engine should fit if mounted longitudinally, but there would be not much room between the exhaust and the radiator, and heaps of room between the intake and the firewall.

What I meant by the width above was the total width from wheel to wheel using stock EVO IV wheels would be around 6mm narrower than the total width of the Sigma.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

75wagon wrote:Why not just get a 4WD L200 and put Sigma or Scorpion front panels on it?
Or remove the L200 body from the chassis and then graft the Sigma or Scorpion body to it? Probably Sigma high roof wagon would look best.
Of course this would actually be a 4X4 not an all wheel drive.
But with a body lift 33's and Evo donk, wow what a Sigma 4X4 high roof wagon it would be.

As for P76's, my brother has had 5 of them (he even raced them), he belonged to the P76 sporting car club.
As for Marina's, I'm embarrassed, but I don't mind them either. Actually thought about buying one for my first car. The 2.6 super six would be the way to go. 3 speed floor shift as standard and all they need is the twin SU set up off an Austin Tasmin and they go pretty well.

Dave...
ha my first car was a marina twin carb not an altogether bad car , and yes I have a soft spot for the p76
tubby

Post by tubby »

AWD scorp sounds good to me also but for different reasons.

might sound dumb but anyone considered gear from a te vrx?
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
brendon

Post by brendon »

would it be possible to graft a skyline/wrx driveline to the 4g63 or 4b11T (convert to north south) you might even be able to squeeze that into a galant :D

[similar to the lexus v8 R33 driveline'd celica on toymods a while back (can't find the thread anymore thought :roll:
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

you can very quickly forget the WRX as a donor, the engine in them sits VERY forward as its so short, the gearbox sits between the front wheels to put it into perspective.
and the EJ series engine is way to wide for a sigma bay without major mods.
ive got both parked next to each other at home...
Insert witty one liner here -->
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

I know this is an old discussion but im wondering if anyone considered using a TJ AWD as a donor?

I haven't looked at the logistics and technical details on it but surely just some changes to the tunnel and firewall would take care of most of it... Swapping out the entire running gear end to end?

Any thoughts?
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Stuffing a v6 AWD front end into a sigma scorpion will be very tight and completely out of balance.... Ull have better chance putting in a 6G74 with twin can heads into an sigma/scorpion and having it rwd
Built with pride, Driven in anger
tubby

Post by tubby »

or a celica awd in a mini. oh wait. project binky. turns out anything is possible only the fabrication changes.....
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you got the cash...
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire.........

https://www.facebook.com/SnowyMountains ... =3&theater

Snowy Mountains 1000 last year......... 900hp 4WD TA22 Celica, 1uz turbo V8, GTR gearbox, transfer case & front diff, R200 gtr rear diff & custom IRS.

Stop talking start cutting!