my gb

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75glnt

Re: my gb

Post by 75glnt »

Also, I forgot to add...

This :D

VGJONO came to his senses :P swapped for those nasty hotwires! :D

I bought my engine crane today!! Anyone have a good idea to label wiring?? I know the old masking tape and niko. But I want a more.. Durable, option :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Lots of photo's :thumpsup:
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I've used coloured cable ties in the past. One around the wire, and the same colour on the sensor, plug, etc that it connects too. Also works for hoses and stuff too.

Works well on older cars like ours where there isn't many things to connect, but you will start to run out of different colours fast on a newer fuel injected car.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yep :) I'm a big pic man :P expect many.. MANY. More :D

And the cable ties would work for a little while.. But unfortunately I can only seem to find 5-6 different colours :\

I was thinking of getting a heap of those cheap key chain plastic tags that close on some paper. But they might be too bulky??

If all else fails. I'll just use masking tape and a biro. It's not like its getting left for years for the biro to fade and the tape to unstick. It'll only be a week or so.
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Colored heat shrink will last forever :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hey! You have my car :P haha :D

How many colours of that I there though? Same as the zip ties I'm guessing? :\
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Lol yer I've only ever seen 1 other GB on the road on the Gold Coast in 20 years lol

You will find there's only really about half a dozen different colors that are easy to get (red, white, blue, black, green, yellow). But if u start mixing colors eg red/white, red/blue, red/black, then you can easily have more than 50 combinations and it will last forever. Better than tape which will just start coming apart and getting sticky shit all over u when ur trying to work on it in the future. You can even make yourself a little table of what things you have made what color and it will be even easier again to work on in the future, because u can guarantee you will be working on it for as long as you own it :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hey! That's a bloody great idea! :D cheers mate! :thumpsup:

Also, do you still have your gb? The yellow one in the profile pic? And is it registered? Mine will be done before Xmas and is love to meet up and have a shoot :D

I'm in greenbank (browns plains area), qld. So I'm just a short drive from the coast :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Yer I still have the GB. It's been my daily since I first got my license 12 years ago. I'm sure over Chrissy holidays that could happen. It will be the only time I'm not flat out doing a million things :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea awesome! :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Would be a good calendar shot!!! :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

My thoughts exactly!!! :D

More progress this arvo!

Got my loom all marked up and pulled through. Just gotta unbolt the engine and box and it can all come out... Then just remove the master cylinder. Do some little things like remover the dash so I can refurbish it all. Then she'll go on a trailer off to the panel/paint man :D

I ended up using coloured zip ties as supercheap didn't have any coloured shrink tape.. There is 10 different colours, so I had plenty of options :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Got the engine/box/shaft out yesterday :) along with the brake master cylinder. Also the dash so I can refurbish it also :)

And a before shot so I can compare it to the clean reprinted version :)

Had a leak from exhaust port 4. So I'll get a new gasket for it when it all goes together again :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Just doing some tidying up of the engine while its out :)

First up was the gearbox! It was easiest :P

Before

And after... Almost... Just gotta tidy a few little edges up :)

So shiney :D

It will stay like that :)

Next up! The block :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

More shiney bits!!! :D well.. One, bit :)

Isn't it beautiful?? :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

More beautiful bits!! :D

And all fitted to the grille :)

Just gotta paint the mitsu badge red then gloss the lot :D

The GL badge is getting the black paint from the sides removed so its all chrome with the gold inserts. Should be mint once it's on :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

She went away today! :D

Kinda nervous and excited all at once! Excited because this is the last leg of the build, but nervous as this is the first time the car has been outta my hands. It's like my own little child :P

I'll post pics as I get em :) let the fun begin! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Painted the engine today :D came up well I think

I also painted the engine mounts red, along with the dipstick :P looks awesome against the silver :D

Also split the engine/box. Tipped the box up and cleaned up the rest of it. Looks mint now :D

Now I want to paint the intake manifold red.. Just for something different :P but unsure on how it'd look. What do y'all think? :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Did you use 'hammerfinish' silver? Comes up nicely (and good for disguising anything rough). Don't know how the inlet manifold will look in red against the silver. You can't go wrong in classic black (maybe a ripple finish paint, and hit the rocker cover at the same time) (H)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah just standard silver engine enamel mate :) rough finish on the block casting :P

And the rocker cover is getting highly polished so it looks chrome :) then the Saturn script is going yellow to match the car.
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Done some more detailing etc today of the engine :D painted the sump black, and the crank and water pump pulleys :)

Also done some small touch ups on the block :D

And I now have a new favourite engine shot! :D

Gonna do some more stuff throughout the week :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Looks awesome mate, keep up the good work :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Cheers mate! :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Looks horn, but please tell me you intend to use an air-filter on that lovely new motor :D
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol:

Yea I have ram air filters to match the tubes :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

I've got those same filters. There no good. The webers suck too hard that they try and pull the filters in through itself lol I'd only get to 3grand before they would suck into the carbs too much and would just stall the motor. Even tried feeding some wire rod (coat hanger lol) across the face of them to help stop it sucking the filter in but it only got it revving to 5 grand before it would do the same thing
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea? We're they genuine? Or eBay/Chinese knock offs? The reason I ask is I've had mine screaming! And I mean really screaming.. 8000rpm region. And they're fine.

But if I run into any issues... 4 individual red uni filters will be on straight up! :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Yer they came from RAMAIR UK. I was spewing cos they are a good looking filter aswell
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmmm... Might've been a shit batch? Lol

Ah well... Not long now :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

fridgeGB wrote:I've got those same filters. There no good. The webers suck too hard that they try and pull the filters in through itself lol I'd only get to 3grand before they would suck into the carbs too much and would just stall the motor. Even tried feeding some wire rod (coat hanger lol) across the face of them to help stop it sucking the filter in but it only got it revving to 5 grand before it would do the same thing
I'd buy some aluminium flywire mesh and cut out inserts to fit over the trumpets. It should put an end to the webers trying to eat the filters, plus if they backfire and roast the foam it will prevent anything being pulled back into the carbies. A low budget insurance policy. :thumpsup: