1972 GB4g63t BUILD

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
77galantv6

Re: 1972 GB4g63t BUILD

Post by 77galantv6 »

big ones!
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

77galantv6 wrote:big ones!
what are you using
4GB63t
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

i'm running gk sigma 4 wheel discs with bendix ultimate pads
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

colta51

Post by colta51 »

lchilds82 wrote:
colta51 wrote:nice work! so wat sort of breaks you gonna use?
flinstone power, not sure yet any advice
gh green strut convertion dosnt look to hard thay hav good size disks that shood do the job?..plus cheep to convert to coilovers too!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Good progress on the car this week almost ready to put the engine back in the engine bay 4 the last time, ill put pics up soon
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

4GB63t
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This look like it's coming along nicely.
Is that all your clearance problems solved?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

all but the water plumbing at the rear of the engine, but that isnt a problem, im hoping to have it on the road mid next year, after that i'll change the gear box and diff etc., think ill pay someone to do that, just dont have the time do these things and i dont really know what im doing just learning as i go
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Spoke to the engineers asked him what requirements there was with this conversion he gave me a ratio of how to work out what size engines you can use which where for cars that weigh less then 1100kgs for a turbo or super charged engine = the weight of the car times by 2.5
so 889 * 2.5= 2.2 litre
sweet news for me
he said as long as the brakes pass a stoping test its all good
also must have a catylic converter
4GB63t
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

my 4g63 is engineered with gh sigma struts and brakes and rear drummies as the only other listed mods on my engineers certificate. wish the previous owner had done such a sweet job with my firewall. looks good man
vrooooom vrooooom!!
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

kenvv wrote:my 4g63 is engineered with gh sigma struts and brakes and rear drummies as the only other listed mods on my engineers certificate. wish the previous owner had done such a sweet job with my firewall. looks good man
yeah i think its best to do the brake upgrade but not a necessity to get a engineer certificate but i will definetely be doing brake upgrades later if i dont have to now, its just one less thing that i have to do right now.
i think its mostly because the cars are not much heavier so they seem to think it will be fine, but that all depends on how much power the car makes, i guess they just go off standard engine figures. i dont know see how it goes anyway
im still a while off that
replacing all the rubbers in the front end first befor i sit the 4g63 in for the last time
cant wait for that day
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

ok things i still have todo. The List
all new bushes and rubbers in the front end - Being done at the moment, fun job this is
get water plumbing at the rear of engine made up
install engine for the last time,
exhaust manifold + new exhaust system
throttle body for new intake manifold
intercooler and plumbing
wire in the microtech
fuel pump, surge tank, rising rate fuel pressure regulater
rear suspension
rebuild brakes?
finish some body work
paint (comodore ss Voodoo Blue)
any thoughts or comments or input welcomed
4GB63t
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

what are your plans for the rear suspension? im getting mine raised at the moment as it was to low and bottoming out and getting axle tramp.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

well was just going to get new standard leaf springs and see how that goes i dont mind it being abit soft in the rear as its going to be mostly just a drive to work and back car and every now and then take it to the drags( when the gearbox and drivline is done) so ill see how they are first, im not into going around corners at extreme pace on the streets and i dont live near any circuits only a drag strip about 2 hours away, but i guess have to wait and see how it handles
4GB63t
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

fair enough. yeh ive had to deal with the fact my car is a straight line car only. corners poorly compared to other cars ive owned but thats expected with an older car i guess. just want some springs that wont bog down to much under the power. dont wana lose all my torque through the rear springs. ive heard of getting stiffer leaf springs made to suit but it sounds expensive and dont know anywhere that would do it
vrooooom vrooooom!!
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

kenvv wrote:fair enough. yeh ive had to deal with the fact my car is a straight line car only. corners poorly compared to other cars ive owned but thats expected with an older car i guess. just want some springs that wont bog down to much under the power. dont wana lose all my torque through the rear springs. ive heard of getting stiffer leaf springs made to suit but it sounds expensive and dont know anywhere that would do it
i think they say to put the wagon leaf springs in the back apparently makes them stiffer,
i got to drive it first to see how it handles, mine would be even softer then yours i think, mine only has the to leaf setup
4GB63t
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Rear springs: another common mod is to add a half spring - fasten it under the existing leaves going from the front to maybe 1/3 -1/2 way past the axle.
I seem to remember that wagon leaves are a bit wider and there are 5 of them - really only good for drifting - way hard.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Here is some info on what my dad has done in the past with fitting wagon rear end in to sedans.
by toruhiwi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 pm

I had wagon springs (complete with diff housings and brakes) in 2 previous sedans way back....GA and GB, and removed the 2 lower leaves. This still has a fairly high rate as the wagon leaves are somewhat wider than sedan ones.

These were mated with KYB gas monotubes on the GA and Tokico Golds (also gas monotubes) on the GB...... Unfortunately both of these are no longer available.

Roger
Here is the link to the page.

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 358#p36358

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

lchilds82 wrote:Image
lchilds82 wrote:Image

Looking Great!!!

Might suggest getting that water piping at rear of motor fixed up before you do final Fit,or it will be coming back out again ;)

Talk to STealth, and GLANT, they may be able to help out with something Fabed up for you.

Did you ask the Engineer if Stock Sigma or Starion shocks and Front Brakes will be suitable??

What diff are you planning to use?
Did the Engineer tell you a Disk rear end is a must?

My Lancer suffered from terrible Axle tramp, and you could feel them twisting under acceleration.
And it cornered horrbibly even at 40KPH...
That was with a 2 Leaf set up.

I had them professionally reset, an extra leaf added.
And i wanted to lower them so they did that too.
I cant remember what it cost me now.
It was awhile ago.
But it made a HUGE difference to handling and power loss.

But if you have noone in your area that can do it,
I would be willing to get a quote and you could send them to me and i can get it done for you?

Looking great but man!
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

DanTurboLancer wrote: Looking Great!!!

Might suggest getting that water piping at rear of motor fixed up before you do final Fit,or it will be coming back out again ;)

Talk to STealth, and GLANT, they may be able to help out with something Fabed up for you.

Did you ask the Engineer if Stock Sigma or Starion shocks and Front Brakes will be suitable??

What diff are you planning to use?
Did the Engineer tell you a Disk rear end is a must?

My Lancer suffered from terrible Axle tramp, and you could feel them twisting under acceleration.
And it cornered horrbibly even at 40KPH...
That was with a 2 Leaf set up.

I had them professionally reset, an extra leaf added.
And i wanted to lower them so they did that too.
I cant remember what it cost me now.
It was awhile ago.
But it made a HUGE difference to handling and power loss.

But if you have noone in your area that can do it,
I would be willing to get a quote and you could send them to me and i can get it done for you?

Looking great but man!
Pretty much my engineer has said because it falls in the right category for an engine swap that as long as the brakes pass a test they should be fine, ive never driven this car or any other galant so im not familiar with the brakes was planning on ringing a brake place soon, to see what they can do, i was looking at centura rotors they are 10mm bigger in overall diameter but thought i could get this machined to what i need, and get my standard GB calipers rebuilt and see how that goes and then when i do the diff swap ill do the back brakes then, but yeah this is all realy new to me ive never tackled a job like this before, im a chef by trade so probly bound to make a few mistakes, so all feed back more then welcome
4GB63t
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Cool, well plenty of people here will help out with advice and previous experience.

Thats a pretty easy going Engineer.

The guys i have spoken to have said, if the engine come out of a car with rear disks, the vehicle the engine is going into has to have disks...

But if it will pass the test, and he will sign off on it, Keep the factory rears if you can for now.

Others will give you their opinions on the standard early Galant brakes,
but I would look at upgrading the front no matter what.

Sigma or Starion front Strut/Suspension/Brakes is a good, basically bolt in option.
Plenty of others have done it and will be able to give advise.

Is it a VR4 Or Evo engine?

Have you asked the engineer about cutting and welding in a section into the firewall?
It would give you a much easier job of getting the engine mounted and giving you clearance from the flywheel and gearbox to the steering...
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

thanks for that and this will be a never ending project so all will be upgraded sooner or later so all the brakes will defineltely be upgraded but just when i can afford it so like you said if i can get away with the standard ones i will do that for the time being, i didnt ask about the firewall chop but if you look at the pics on my post you will see that i have done so with my car, for now i just want to get it on the road as soon as posible with as little change as possible, at the moment im waiting for all the bushes and rubbers for the front end to arrive so i can finish that part of the project once thats done a can start on the final install of the engine, still need to get the water piping at the rear made up and buy fuel pump, fuel reg, surge tank intercooler and piping and make an exhaust for it, all of which i want to as much of myself so you can imagine how long its going to take me to it lol
4GB63t
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Haha well good on you for having a go yourself.

I have learned the hard way over the years,
"SOMETIMES" it is faster, easier, and cheaper,
to pay professionals to do certain things...

Im all for you having ago yourself.

But i worked out that by the time i did something myself on the cheap.
Have it fail then do a patch up, and another patch up.
then replace that with a slightly dearer Cheap unit...

I ended up buying the expensive item to do the proper job that was required.

Sometimes it better to save that bit longer to afford the right item, rather than the cheaper option.
And you will be happier with the final outcome :thumpsup:
Im not telling you what to do, just giving my advise after years of waisted money and time :think:

Ill be watching your build as it goes,
Will be a sweet little Galant
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

thanks man yeah i plan on getting most of the diff and stuff done professionally but i want to try as much as i can, i mean it aint heaps of money im throwing at it at the moment, but for sure when it comes to doing the bigger jobs i will get them done professionally
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

2 months of waiting for my suspension and steering parts :@ finally got the last part today
now just to put it all together and back on the car we might be getting somewhere
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

suspension done in the front finally, brakes next
4GB63t
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

:thumpsup: looking good!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Gonna sell it when its done ? >.>
Sigh... *wishes* heh...

What's left to do ? =]
'74 GB.

R.I.P ALF; my darling little car. You never had a fault in/on you. ~ </3

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

<.* Yes, I'm an idiot. Get over it. :) *.>