75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by 75wagon »

Here's some things I found in the car.
Looks like a recipe for drinking and driving and not have to stop to take a leak anytime soon :think:

And playtime has started.

The plan as was with the sedan is to fit the parts I've collected. Coupe grill, factory tacho dash, 13x6 +5 Cheviot Hustlers(same as my other wagon), and some old school race seats.
But I want to take this build further the my other wagon. I also have an Astron 1 2.6 and 5 speed conversion (I cut the gearbox hump/hole and took the pedal set from the sedan whilst stripping it) + extractors and full system.

The things I'm trying to work out is colours. That green is not staying, and neither is the Mitsubishi sports brown interior.
I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete, I'm open to other member's ideas, so post away.
The thing to keep in mind with suggestions is, it's going to look very similar to my GC wagon in style. I will be keeping all of the chrome trims also.

And before anyone asks, Yes I am planning to lower this one. Bodywork will be required to clear the wheels, so I will lower it before it painted and make the necessary mods.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

i hate that license plate B*ll Sh*t. the astron route doesnt seem to bad. theres LOADS of info on this site as well as your knowledge. i wouldnt mind an astron for the lc but i just love how nimble the front end is because it virtually weighs nothing. if this wagon turns out half as good as your other one, youve don e extremely well and i mean that. apart from that the car is an excelent starting point (Y) congratulations on the buy
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

So much potential there mate cant wait to see what you do with it!
Much better starting point than that poor old brown sedan you had

Just one thought direction, I like the green on your current Wagon,
You could make a clone, but with afew subtle exterior changes, so it takes someone to know the car or pay really close attention to pick the difference,
but this one has a fast engine...

Or you could go fully modified,
again just my thoughts,
Holden Hothouse green (the metallic Green they use on late model Commys)
Or a nice White always looks great
Not too low, it still has to handle the weight of the 2.6 and handle well in the corners,
An inch and half lower in the rear than the front,
Use those hustlers, but put super low profile tyres on them, with some stretch (JDM style)
You could use Semi slicks,
or Maybe use a thin white or red wall tyres...
Depending on paint, maybe use Mirror tint, or a really dark tint. But if you have good glass and interior, its always good to keep the glass clear and clean...

What about hidding the battery, and wiring?
(I dont know if I like the current Battery install on the Passengers floor...) ;)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like Dan's idea, I think if you mixed 4lt of Hothouse green with 1lt of silver you would have a colour very similar to the 70's Centura metalic green, and that would look great on a Gally wagon.
As far as wheels go, I am not a fan of 13's they look too much like shopping trollies or Daewoos with undersized wheels but I think a nice set or 15 or 16 inch XXR 513's would look sweet.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Just one thought direction, I like the green on your current Wagon,
You could make a clone, but with afew subtle exterior changes, so it takes someone to know the car or pay really close attention to pick the difference,
but this one has a fast engine...
Yeah good idea, and the Hothouse Green too, but I've made decision, this one is not going to be green at all, I've had too many green cars over the years.

I really want to get the trim redone professionally, depends on whether I can pick up a really tidy full interior in another colour, I really want the burgundy red colour, if I could get that I'd install it for sure. If I could source a red interior obviously that would influence the exterior body colour. But I would like to go a darkish colour similar to my GC wagon, I want to show off the chrome trims. I was thinking maybe charcoal grey, with a silver sports pack stripe (yes I know they didn't exist on a wagon, but I'm sure I can design something up that would look the part) with burgundy red interior, or another colour I like is Daytona Violet Pearl Metallic off a 1993 model BMW, it's an awesome dark purple metallic with all sorts of different coloured pearls in it, if I ran with this colour, I'd want the interior an off white creamy type of colour.

I'm open to other suggestions though. I'm not a fan of blue, but I've even thought of the original Chrysler Stellar Blue? But I'm someone who really likes to go with an original colour that everyone knows just wasn't on there from new.

First step is to get the car going so it can move under it's own steam. I've still got a few jobs holding me up before I can really get stuck into this.
I've been trying to come up with a build plan, it would probably go something like this:
Start with the engine conversion and brakes at the same time.
Lowering, then bodywork.
Remove driveline and suspension
Remove all body glass
Paint and detail the body and suspension
Refit driveline and suspension
Interior
refit body glass/rubbers
then it should be ready for rego?
DanTurboLancer wrote:What about hidding the battery, and wiring?
(I dont know if I like the current Battery install on the Passengers floor...) ;)
Nah man, that looks heaps sick. I was going to go and get a battery box to cover it up though :P
But seriously, where else could you put a battery in a wagon? The back floor is flat and the spare wheel is fitted under the petrol tank under the floor. Other then in the rear floor, I can't think of anywhere else to put it :think:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

I d paint the GD the same as the GC. Should look great with the hardtop grill. Also match the interiors. Look foward to see how this progresses
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
A112H

Post by A112H »

Green would look poor with a red interior.
Personally I reckon to match the burgundy/red interior you will need to run a very dark grey exterior, Gun metal, Black and so on.
If it was my choice I would run the red seats with a deep cola exterier like the EH's of the 80's lol.
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

looks like a good score dude,
no rust in the front quarter pannels thats a good sign
sure this project will come alone alright
= Lancer 1976 =
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

hehe you told me an interior design the other day, then you just said you want a custom professionally done interior, or a factory interior within one sentence ;)
So the exterior will depend on the Interior... How long is a piece of string on your desicion making Dave ;)

All of your ideas sound awesome,
do you want to wait 12 months to choose your paint colour after you find the right interior to match your paint,
or can you afford to save up for a full custom interior to suit your paint.

Those ODDESSY batteries are awesome, they are super small, and sealed cells so they can be mounted vertically or flat.
How much room is there behind the boot side trims?
In my Little van, it had a small square hole cut out in the floor of the boot, it then had a small box that dropped down into that hole to hold a battery and was bolted to the floor, and then a lid plate went over the top that was flush mounted with the rest of the floor.
you could have that covered up by the rear carpet, or have it as a custom feature within the rear floor area.
I dont know if you could also possibly mount that in the floor under the back seat..?

But either way, i would then have the positive goto a Isolation switch so you can turn it on and off easily.

Are you going to fit the 2.6 then go for Blue slip?
Or are you going to trial fit the 2.6, do all your mods, and drop the stock motor back in, and get rego,
then refit the 2.6?

Electronic fuel system, or stock mechanical?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DanTurboLancer wrote:So the exterior will depend on the Interior... How long is a piece of string on your desicion making Dave ;)
Money is a large part of my decision making Dan and this car will not be built in a couple of months. If I can find a tidy interior the colour I want then I will run with it, but reality tells me this is fairy land, so I'm going to have to pay if I want to have what I want. At this stage mate, it's purely speculation. As the build progresses then I'll be able to 'lock it in Eddie' as parts become available. I've noticed this method seems to frustrate you Dan :think:
The way I build a car is to build it out of what I can get my hands on, rather then chase down particular parts. Parts you just happen upon always end up being a cheaper option then ones you go looking for.
My GC took 2 1/2 years to build so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. The final colour for my GC wasn't decided upon until the week before I bought the colour, which was about 1 1/2 years into the build.

I think I need to note here, that I'm not about going for the cheapest option, but my budget is very tight, as I have family responsibilities (how much easier it would be if I was younger with no responsibilities and still living at home with Mum and Dad). Having a tight budget means one of 2 things, buy all cheap parts, or add time. I try to balance between the 2. And borrowing money for the build is out, I wont borrow money for anything other then a house.

As far as battery re location goes, it's not something I've ever been worried about before, and as far as I can see, the standard location wont be an issue unless I go EFI?
DanTurboLancer wrote:Are you going to fit the 2.6 then go for Blue slip?
Or are you going to trial fit the 2.6, do all your mods, and drop the stock motor back in, and get rego,
then refit the 2.6?
I would build the car to be engineered with the 2.6 for it's first rego. To me in my situation, it makes more sense.
DanTurboLancer wrote:Electronic fuel system, or stock mechanical?
That also is up in the air at the moment. The EFI is something I've always wanted to do, but starting with an Astron 1 I'd have to replace the pistons to up the compression for the Astron 2 head. So that guarantees an engine rebuild. As we all know from reading anything I've ever written on this site, Engines just aren't my thing, I do shiny not fast. Not saying I cant do the work, I have rebuilt motors before, I'm just not as interested in playing with them as what I am with spending time on what it looks like.
I'd prefer not to stay with a standard carb set up, if I don't go down the EFI path, I might get some assistance from Superscan811 and go down the quad carb set up like he has, but I assume I would need to get the car engineered with a standard carb to get it over the inspection? I just don't know how a carb set up like that would be viewed?
A112H wrote:Personally I reckon to match the burgundy/red interior you will need to run a very dark grey exterior, Gun metal, Black and so on.
Agreed.
7thsin wrote:looks like a good score dude,
no rust in the front quarter pannels thats a good sign
sure this project will come alone alright
Thanks. I knew this was the car to buy the first time I saw it. That's why I was prepared to wait until it became available, I was starting to doubt it would there for a while :think:
77GDWAGON wrote:Look foward to see how this progresses
Don't expect a lot to happen straight away. I've still got some jobs to do around the house first before I get stuck into it. Fact is, sometimes you just have to buy what's good when it becomes available, because when you are ready for it, there's nothing for sale.
I wish I could have bought your wagon when it was for sale, but distance was the problem that I just couldn't see an answer too.
BTW, Would you be interested in stripping all of you interior out and selling it to me for my project ? :P
Just thought I'd put it out there?

Dave...
webby

Post by webby »

75wagon wrote:Fact is, sometimes you just have to buy what's good when it becomes available, because when you are ready for it, there's nothing for sale.
Agreed.
It'd be nice if my parents had the same philosophy. To them, buying something before you absolutely need it is a waste of money :wut:

Anywho. Keen to see how this turns out Dave :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

75wagon wrote: As the build progresses then I'll be able to 'lock it in Eddie' as parts become available. I've noticed this method seems to frustrate you Dan :think:
I just get a chuckle every time I speak to you, because you have completely changed your mind on what car you want to build, and what you want to do with that car.

I understand where you are coming from, that you have a family to consider, i get all of that.
I am just a person that once I have an idea of what I want, i follow that path.
I have found chopping and changing ideas and what i do, ends up being more costly.
For an example, completely stripping a car, and then installing a fuel system to suit a Carb setup, while you are in two minds about what you want to do later, only to later decide you do want to go injection, so you have to strip all of the fuel system back out, and redo it, which costs you time and more money that could have been saved in the first place.
Doing things twice is what I have learned what not to do over the years.

As i say to everyone that is doing a full rebuild,
explore every avenue of what you want, or are thinking, but then commit to the plan.
Somethings have to change but, they cant be helped.
But no matter what, it is always going to cost you more than you will ever budget for.

I think this will be the best build, as you have have said, you have been collecting parts for this, it is a good body to start with, it has a hell of alot of potential,
and you know I think Wagons are F-ing cool!
I know you have your ideas of what you want to do Dave, and you will do them.
And I know it will come out great.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DanTurboLancer wrote:I just get a chuckle every time I speak to you, because you have completely changed your mind on what car you want to build, and what you want to do with that car.
:lol:
There is always more then what you can see to everything.

I had a phone call on Saturday morning. From a member standing in a wrecking yard in Brisbane (very good mate but shall go nameless for now). Anyway there were 3 Galant wagons there, so now I should be able to make a complete set of side body molds just like on my GC. Because of this I have now locked in that I'm going 'Old School Look'. For those that don't know, I was considering going with a modern look and running with the 16x8's I currently have on my hatch.
DanTurboLancer wrote:For an example, completely stripping a car, and then installing a fuel system to suit a Carb setup, while you are in two minds about what you want to do later, only to later decide you do want to go injection, so you have to strip all of the fuel system back out, and redo it, which costs you time and more money that could have been saved in the first place.
I see what you are saying, but you see, that wouldn't happen.
Refer to my build plan mentioned above:
75wagon wrote:First step is to get the car going so it can move under it's own steam. I've still got a few jobs holding me up before I can really get stuck into this.
I've been trying to come up with a build plan, it would probably go something like this:
Start with the engine conversion and brakes at the same time.
Lowering, then bodywork.
Remove driveline and suspension
Remove all body glass
Paint and detail the body and suspension
Refit driveline and suspension
Interior
refit body glass/rubbers
then it should be ready for rego?
Look at step one.
I would not pull the engine back out until I have settled on it's final outcome. Once it comes out that's it, no changes, just make it shiny and put it back in.

I can prove how solid my decisions are once I make them. Look at my GC wagon. I planned it to be 1.6 twin carb, and it's been that way for the last 7 years.

I know I'm a bit fickle at times, and I might even talk a fair bit of sh*t, but I get there in the end :thumpsup:

BTW, when are you coming over for a look Dan? I thought you were coming yesterday?

As for the actual wagon, I got stuck into it today and removed some of the dents. I've managed to save the bonnet (thank God because it was rust free), and the ones I haven't removed have been greatly reduced. I looks heaps better already :thumpsup:
I think I'll get the 1600 back together first, it shouldn't take me long. Take the old girl for a spin around the block and see how she drives. I'm expecting it to be petty tight still as the Km's look pretty genuine 132000kms. It could be 232000km's but with all the hinges and stuff still that tight I doubt it?

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I had the day off work today, and instead of working on the house, I had a little bit of a play with this.
Thougth I have a go at minimising some of the dents.

Here's the bonnet and how it now meets the body line of the front guard. You can see a small dip where the strap has damaged it, but the bonnet now meets the contour of the guard, before (sorry I should have taken a pic) the bonnet was down about 10mm where the damage was. Each end of the bonnet met up with the guard, but the whole panel was bent, and the damage was spread over 1/2 a metre.

The passengers guard was also bent from the strap, I've beat it out good enough now.

Drivers door.
From this:

To this:

The large dents will still need heat shrinking for the panels to regain some strength, but it looks a lot better then it did Saturday night.
I want to keep as many original panels as possible on this car as they are rust free. A testament to how good rust proofing and garaging work :thumpsup:

Dave...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

you need to buy a dolley and a slapper, those dents will come up nearly with out using bog at all, as long as u can get up close enough by the door frame from the inside? i think this one needs lowering alot and a decent 2.6 with a megasquirt or similar
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Do you have any plans to trick it up a bit? I always wanted to delete the spring bars on the tail gate and fit up gas risers. I also found a replacement for the rear window rubber when I was fiddling with my GD. A rubber from a renault worked well (I gave the GD rubber to a supplier so they could measure it up). It had radiused corners and got rid of the trim strip. I had to plane off a sealing lip for it to seat properly. There ain't enough wagon love...
woops

Post by woops »

It looks to be a pretty good start to the project and we know you have the skills and patience to get it right. I know the wreckers you are referring to up in Brisbane here and I have a few pics of the galants and lancers on my computer and phone if you wanted me to PM them to you for a bit more detail.

Also for the colour of the car, I have always been pretty keen to paint a car in the deep red which I saw on a GTO somewhere online. Or a deep almost midnight blue too.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

woops wrote:I know the wreckers you are referring to up in Brisbane here and I have a few pics of the galants and lancers on my computer and phone if you wanted me to PM them to you for a bit more detail.
That would be great woops.
woops wrote:Also for the colour of the car, I have always been pretty keen to paint a car in the deep red which I saw on a GTO somewhere online. Or a deep almost midnight blue too.
Both colours you are suggesting made it onto the short list for my GC. So are also being considered for this one.
They would both look really good.
geezer101 wrote:I always wanted to delete the spring bars on the tail gate and fit up gas risers.
I've seen one done that way. I actually like them the way they are, I think it's pretty tidy and works very well when the hinge isn't stuffed like it is on this one. I thought it was a broken spring, but I was wrong.
geezer101 wrote:It had radiused corners and got rid of the trim strip.
I actually like the chrome strip and want to keep it. I have a local supplier, it cost me $40 for enough for both front and rear screens for the GC.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Dave...
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

that coupe is my favourite pic ive seen on the site. been drooling on that for ages. i asked somewhere in another thread on it if anyone knows the colour. i stil cant decide the colour i want :@
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That coupe is AWESOME! Does what the fast back Celica does but better. Oz always got the thin end of the wedge when it came to what cars to market out of Japan. Imagine finding one of those stashed in the back of some old codger's shed for twenty years... :P
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

the colour looks like candy apple red to me, it's what I had on my old hardtop before it was stolen :(
A112H

Post by A112H »

it's what I had on my old hardtop before it was stolen
:(
That is one very sexy car though :thumpsup:
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

Dave
I reckon it would look great painted Mits Riviera Blue pearl . The code is FX. that is the colour that I painted stretchs' celica.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I really want to run with a full blood red interior?
Just like my old GE had.

I could be boring and so silver for the outside colour, but I want something a little more interesting.

So know what colour interior I want to run, what colours are suggested now?
pistorf wrote:I reckon it would look great painted Mits Riviera Blue pearl . The code is FX. that is the colour that I painted stretchs' celica.
What's it originally off?
The colour does look good. I still have a pic of it somewhere?

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

geezer101 wrote:That coupe is AWESOME! Does what the fast back Celica does but better. Oz always got the thin end of the wedge when it came to what cars to market out of Japan. Imagine finding one of those stashed in the back of some old codger's shed for twenty years... :P
There's a yellow one that has been sitting around for years in Sydney but got sold on Ebay about 2 years ago and I know of an orange one being finished off at the momment.

My dad's mate has the red one on here.
1976 Galant Hardtop
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have always wanted one. One day :)
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

75wagon wrote:
pistorf wrote:I reckon it would look great painted Mits Riviera Blue pearl . The code is FX. that is the colour that I painted stretchs' celica.
What's it originally off?
The colour does look good. I still have a pic of it somewhere?

Dave...
I am pretty sure that it was from a 1987 Magna Elite. I had one in the paint shop at Kincumber,fell in love with the colour and told Jeff that this is the colour sor the Celica.
In my opinion,it worked well on the car.
If you ever find the pic,I would be deeply indebted to you if you could scan it and send me a copy. I would also give my right testicle for a copy of the article that was in fast 4s and rotaries.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It's alive :thumpsup:

I spent tonite and last nite casually putting the head back on. I didn't even need to reset the valve adjusters, it just started straight up first go.
pistorf wrote:If you ever find the pic,I would be deeply indebted to you if you could scan it and send me a copy. I would also give my right testicle for a copy of the article that was in fast 4s and rotaries.
I just have to find the album with my pics in it. And as far as the Fast 4's article, I'm pretty sure I have it here?
Maybe you should pop down to my place for a beer a bit of sh*t talk and have a flick through my old mags.
I don't know what I'd do with the testicle, but I'm sure I could sell it on the black market for a couple of bucks? :lol:

Interested in indoor Go Kart Racing at all? I was thinking it was time for another one, and then we usually go back to mine for a BBQ.

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like indoor Go-Kart racing and BBQ's, but it is a little far to come for either :)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I like indoor Go-Kart racing and BBQ's, but it is a little far to come for either :)
Harden up Jason.
Get on a plane and come on up.
It wouldn't cost frig all :P

Dave...