75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan project...

Post by 75wagon »

ted wrote:Yeah id really like to know the answer to daves questions too!! anyone?
I got my answer, I started a new thread specifically for it.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5544

I'm going to do a conversion. It's going to be something new for me, but I'm doing it. I will build a thread on how to, to answer all the 'how do I' questions.
Let's just put it this way, I now have an 2.6 Astron 1 in my garage as of last night.

I need a couple of things, I have want adds for them.
Please help if you can.
WTB Broken narrowblock 5 speed.
WTB 2.6 Struts/Discs to suit Galant.

Watch this space.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A bit of an update (although pathetically small).
I had to go to the tyre place today to get a screw removed from Mrs 75wagon's Lancer. So I thought I'd get the tyres removed from the 13x6 Hustlers while I was going there, so I could start polishing them.
BTW, yes these 13x6 inch wheels do fit over the 2.6 Sigma struts, I just have to trim one part of the dust cover behind the disc (It just rubs). I think the offset helps them clear more then anything else?

Let the polishing begin.

Just to let you guys know what direction I'm going with this, my plans are to fit the 2.6 Astron 1 I have managed to get hold of, and fit a TR/TS Magna head and EFI setup. I know this requires reducing the height of the intake down to clear the bonnet, that's fine. I also have been told I need to fit dome top pistons to bring the compression back up.
I also managed to get some GK Sigma struts to finish off the stuff I need. The engineer said I need to match the brakes of the Sigma that the motor came out of. I'm in luck, I have a spare Galant wagon rear axle and the rear drums on that are larger then Sigma sedan rear drums, so I can just use them. I've been told the wagon drums are just a bolt on job, I suppose I'll find out in time. I might even just use the whole wagon rear end.
I'm still time poor, but the house renovations should be finished soon enough I hope, so then full steam ahead.

When this starts I plan on picking up a running TR/TS Magna (so I know everything works) and then transplanting everything across the the Galant. I plan to just keep it all standard, it's only going to be my daily, plus I think the power increase from the Saturn should be enough for my lead foot. :P

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colta51

Post by colta51 »

nice plan all sounds good to me! :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
webby

Post by webby »

Sounds good :)
Flat tops should be fine for street use, domed slugs would be overkill unless you're building a race engine :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

make sure you get flatops before going efi, of use a whole tn/tm magna engine or just easier to go with a GN astron 2 engine. can i ask why you are going with those wheels? you can legally go 7 inch wide and a better offset on the galants.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
colta51

Post by colta51 »

the wheels are personal favoret of daves i think?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:make sure you get flatops before going efi
That was the plan
astronturbo77 wrote:can i ask why you are going with those wheels?
They were part 2 to the whole starting another build project. I stopped in at a blokes house who had them out the front on his Celica, I asked if they were for sale. I think it was 2 weeks after I found the coupe grille that he finally rang me back (about 4 months later). These wheels and that grille are what started the whole project, I can't ditch them now.

I originally wanted them to put on a Galant wagon that I wanted to convert to a matching trailer for my wagon. I never found one to be able to do it to, so I decided to use them on this project.
astronturbo77 wrote:you can legally go 7 inch wide and a better offset on the galants.
I don't have a problem with the offset, the rear guards on the sedan are larger then that of the wagon + I am planning on running 175's on these rims as I have a set already that are near new.
I also am planning on lowering this one, and I am going to flare the guards as needed before I paint it.
Hence, this is why I am acquiring all the parts for the project before I start doing any real work on it.
colta51 wrote:the wheels are personal favoret of daves i think?
Yep. I like 'em... :thumpsup:

Plus, no one wants to run 13inch wheels anymore, so it makes me want to use them even more just to be different.

Dave...
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

fair enough mate, you wont have any issues lowering it with those wheels :thumpsup: glad you are going a astron!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I hope the Astron will be a good addition?
My GE had a 4G52 2 litre Astron, it was a good motor.
I've never had a 2.6 before.
I've heard all sorts of things like they are to heavy for a Galant. The truth is, this Galant isn't much of a car (as you can see by the pics), and I'm not precious about it. So I figure this one I can do what ever I want to and no one will really care.
I always said, if I ever went 2.6, I'd go EFI.
I will post up everything as I'm going, hopefully it will answer a lot of those 'how do I EFI my 2.6' questions?

This is going to be a really interesting build for me, I'm going further with it then I have with any car before. I know plenty have gone further, but I think this is enough for me :think:

Dave...
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

you will be fine, fair bit torque than the saturn. just make sure the engine has had the timing chain replaced. Are you going to rebuild the engine or go with a running second hand one?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'll judge that when I take a look at it. I haven't touched it yet. When I get another head for it, I'll pop the one it has off and have a look at the bores.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Looks like this project is going to come to an abrupt end.
I'm buying another car instead, the offer was to hard to resist.
I'm now looking at the possibility of parting this car out.

I'll post up some details of the new car when I take delivery of it.
It is a car that has pics on this site is all I'm going to say for now.

Dave...
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Im going to have a guess that its another wagon , but im not sure which one.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am thinking wagon but maybe GE or GH
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I guess a 77 GD Wagon, white with PWS rims.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I get it tomorrow, not long now...
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

all incorrect haha
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

GB_BB4C wrote:I guess a 77 GD Wagon, white with PWS rims.

Had to look in the garage to see if it was still there. You had me worried.

Interested to see what you bought
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
ted

Post by ted »

If you parting the car i bags the drivers side eyebrow mould!!! hahaha
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Question for the guys with racing experience.
If I was to make this car a club race car (to race at Awaba rally club), and just wanted to keep the 4g32, what sort of mods are allowed and still be classed as standard?
Obviously things like motor internals could be played with, but that's not the sort of thing I'm looking at.
I want to run the car out of the collection of parts that I have collected.
Are welded diffs allowed?
What about extractors?

Or do I have to keep the car bog stock?

I do realise I need to go out there and talk to the powers that be, but was just curious if anyone here could give me some pointers before I go there? They are a standardised set of rules across the board aren't they, and not different for every club?

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

75wagon wrote:They are a standardised set of rules across the board aren't they, and not different for every club?
Yeah they would be a standard set of rules I would think that are set in the CAMS manual. I haven't got a current CAMS manual ( mine would be aboout 10 years old and can't remember where it is hiding) but would think extractors, welded diffs and possibly twin carbs might be ok but yeah best to talk to the club.

Good to see your interested in getting into some cheap fun in the dirt. I'll better get my ass moving and finish the LA so I can come and have a run up there.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

75wagon wrote:Question for the guys with racing experience.
If I was to make this car a club race car (to race at Awaba rally club), and just wanted to keep the 4g32, what sort of mods are allowed and still be classed as standard?
Obviously things like motor internals could be played with, but that's not the sort of thing I'm looking at.
I want to run the car out of the collection of parts that I have collected.
Are welded diffs allowed?
What about extractors?

Or do I have to keep the car bog stock?

I do realise I need to go out there and talk to the powers that be, but was just curious if anyone here could give me some pointers before I go there? They are a standardised set of rules across the board aren't they, and not different for every club?

Dave...
dave ,I read a thread on the Brindabella Motorsports club forum last night about this subject. http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/australia ... 011-a.html
give WAC secretary a PM and throw the question at him.
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

has there been any progress on this yet?...... (H)
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

77galantv6 wrote:has there been any progress on this yet?...... (H)
I think you know full well? :P
But yes a little bit of progress...

Thanks to 77galantv6, DanturboLancer and gaPhil for coming over yesterday for a couple of Crownies and helping me strip the car. I really appreciate it :thumpsup:

It's getting stripped to make way for a new long term project. One that was too good to turn down.

The GD sedan is currently sitting on jack stands in my shed with the roof removed and waiting to be finished being cut up and taken to the scrap metal yard.
I'm keeping the manual pedals etc (for an auto to manual conversion), the boosted brake set up an as much other stuff as I can get off it.
I'll have to head back out to the shed soon to finish cutting bits off it.
Should be all gone sometime this week?

Dave...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

No worries Dave,

Always have fun and a laugh hanging out with you guys!

Thought I would share some Pics

Dean showing off his new quad core

Dave had spoken of doing this before, but I was amazed,
this is by far the fastest way to cut up a car I have ever witnessed.... A MATOC

And as always with Dave, he provided the Beers and BBQ,
cheers mate
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Make a convertible - next time :D
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Looks like it's all going ahead.
75wagon wrote:Looks like this project is going to come to an abrupt end.
I'm buying another car instead, the offer was to hard to resist.
I'm now looking at the possibility of parting this car out.

I'll post up some details of the new car when I take delivery of it.
It is a car that has pics on this site is all I'm going to say for now.
The sad end of this car was to make room for another (that was a much better proposition), the deal fell through and thus nothing has happened in or filled my shed for a while. But the car I was after has become available again, and a deal struck. I'll post pics and details when it's arrived here, I don't want to get ahead of myself like I did last time (when I ended up with a stripped car and no replacement).

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, I took delivery of my new project last night, and since the GD sedan was stripped to make room for it and the same parts are going on this one I thought I might as well keep this thread going? It's like I got a new part for the build, a new body.
Yes it's PROSSER'S 1976 GD WAGON. I was getting it off him months ago, but as stated in above posts the deal we had fell through for various reasons. But we managed to strike up a new one so it's now residing in my garage.
Here it is, still on the trailer.

My brother just bought a car trailer to tow his clubsport car, and was in the process of building tie down points. Me picking up this wagon sort of put him on the spot a bit. We were still welding them after the arranged pick up time for the car. But they work very well, and I've never used a better set up. Thanks for the help John and Joel (if you're reading this) I wouldn't have been able to recover the car without you.

Dave...
orangelancer

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by orangelancer »

what a great project youve got yourself there dave (Y). love how the car still has its original plates. my favourite pic is the last one with your wagon next to the new one (Y). keep the pics coming
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by 75wagon »

Well I pulled it out of the shed today to see exactly what I was dealing with.
As you can see, it doesn't go atm.

There is a fair bit of panel damage but it looks worse then it really is, at least the damage is contained the the obvious dents shown. The most annoying damage is the damage to the bonnet. Obviously when it was towed previously a strap was put across the bonnet to hold the front of the car down. It's bent the what was a previously perfectly straight bonnet :@ . There is a lesson here kids, don't tie a car down over the top of the body unless you want to stuff your car. At this stage I think the bonnet is damaged so badly the only good place for it is the bin :think:

I think I found the reason for why it wont run :P

The best part about this car is the rust. I haven't found any other then the bottom of the front guards (of which I have rust repair sections that I bought previously for the sedan.
metry wrote:what a great project youve got yourself there dave (Y). love how the car still has its original plates. my favourite pic is the last one with your wagon next to the new one (Y). keep the pics coming
Thanks metry, this car will get the same treatment my wagon did, but with the help of a shed big enough to work in. This wagon is in very similar condition to what my GC wagon was when I bought it, but the paint on the GC wagon was much worse. As for the number plate, I learnt the hard way with my GC wagon (that also had the original plates on it when I bought it), unfortunately the car has been out of rego for longer then 3 months, so I can't use the original plates even if I wanted too?

Dave...