75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by 75wagon »

ddt wrote:Have you considered simply using silicon to hold them in place?
Yes I have.
Not real keen on it because it's just too simple. I get that they only have to come out for wheel balancing, but I've gone this far now, I might as well finish them off.
They are actually a very tight fit already, I have to tap them into place with a rubber mallet.

After all the mucking around making them, and the money spent (would have been cheaper buying factory ones if I include time taken) I want a 100% guarantee that no one can take them or have them come out while I'm driving.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Finally got my new lathe belt.

I finished boring out the rears of all 4 of the centres out, then gave the fronts a bit of a polish.

Next thing to do is to finish working on the design for the logos in the centres.
I will be the putting 'Rays' logo on them.

All I have to do is design and make something more attractive then the original centres.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Lookin good man... :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Been to long since I touched this, I'm glad to say, I'm in the bay today.

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Woohoo! Keep it up mate, don't keep us all hanging out for updates....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

75wagon wrote:Been to long since I touched this, I'm glad to say, I'm in the bay today.

That's one way to bleed your brakes I guess :P

In al seriousnes.....what are you actually doing in the engine bay (no pun intended)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've been to time consumed with other interests in the last year or so, but the time has come that I need another car (My daughter will be getting her P's soon and is starting full time study).
I figure it makes more sense to get this car done then what it does to buy a cheap car and fix it up.
This way I fix this one up for myself, and my Daughter can either drive my Honda or my Wife's Lancer wagon.

All I managed to get done yesterday was finish welding the brake line tabs and brackets, and clean up some of the untidy welds I had made before (I'm no welder, but I see to be able to get things to hold together).

So a trial fit of the brake lines and master cylinder/booster and it all seems to line up as it should do.

I don't have as much time to play with this as I once did (life changes) but any progress is good.
If nothing else I do have the GC wagon to drive if I need another car.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

If you've got another car to fall back on....then simply work on this one as a leasiure past time...not a chore...otherwise all you going to do is remain unsatisfied with the final result
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

For those that don't know the build, or just want a quick catch up (I see a lot of the links to old pics aren't working anymore).
This shell started life as a 1.6 auto with non boosted brakes. I have a donor car that I am pulling everything I need to upgrade to GH struts, boosted brakes and 2.6 Sigma Astron 1 motor.
I'm doing the mods the way the factory would have done them, so to complete it I needed to change out the pedal set, bore out the master cylinder hole, change the attachment points for the brake lines and fittings, swap out the front harness and instrument panel (yes they are different), I've modded the floor to give room for the left foot beside the brake pedal and then reinforced the floor where the mods are made. Also had to add the clutch cable tube.

From this:

To this:

Done like this:
Scorpma82 wrote:If you've got another car to fall back on....then simply work on this one as a leasiure past time...not a chore...otherwise all you going to do is remain unsatisfied with the final result
If I say that to myself, it'll sit there for a few more years.
I'm the type of bloke that needs motivation, and a deadline is the best type.

Dave...
stealth

Post by stealth »

We are older and more patient , that's what I tell myself dave
Just keep throwing hours at it , and it comes together by itself !
Im in the same boat as you dave , it has to be done and finished
Now to go work on mine
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My biggest stumbling block with this build so far is what to do with the interior?
I can't stand the brown. I do have tidy cream door trims in the donor wagon, but the rear seat is not usable (you'd have to see it).
I have the Electric Recaro's that need retrimming for the front, so dead minimum I need to do something with them.
If I go to a trimmer, by the time I get 7 door trims done (4 doors, rear side panels and the tailgate panel), the Recaro's, the rear seat and a roof lining, I'm up for minimum $8K. That's out of my ball park. Time I have money I don't.

So what are my other options?
I can vinyl spray the door trims (they are tidy) the carpet at the bottom is a problem though.
I have GA/B door trim tops, I could make my own door panel trims, I want to fit a decent stereo in this one so keeping it original is not something high on my priority list. I do have to like what it looks like though...

Dave...
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Vinyl dye the doors and other assorted interior trim that are unable, get Cream coloured carpet and roof lining for a more luxury appeal (and to break up the colours)......salvage some usable starion or cordia seats (they'll be black already most likely) and wrap ur own (original) rear seat in the same fabric as the front seats.....that will be ur most efficient balance on time and dollars
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

My vote for what it's worth (and without knowing the exterior colour);
* vinyl paint doors and rear seat black. (You can do this)
* re-trim Recaro's in black with a stitch that matches the exterior colour. (Need a trimmer to do this)
* re-trim lower part of door with same trim as used on Recaro's (you could do this)
* vinyl paint rear panels or spray a suitable replacement (fibreglass etc) (you can do this)
* re-trim roof lining in standard cream (trimmer to do this)

You would be up for a few hundred for the roof and about 1 - 1.5k for the seats which is not much if you ask me and you'd have a complete and cool interior to match your hard work on the exterior.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I have a good rear seat here in cream if you want it Dave. I was keeping it as a spare for myself, but i don't see myself needing it anytime soon.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Hay I read the thirteen pages !
Can you recap ?
What car are you building , and whats the plan
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I just did the re-cap a couple of posts above.
75wagon wrote:For those that don't know the build, or just want a quick catch up (I see a lot of the links to old pics aren't working anymore).
This shell started life as a 1.6 auto with non boosted brakes. I have a donor car that I am pulling everything I need to upgrade to GH struts, boosted brakes and 2.6 Sigma Astron 1 motor.
I'm doing the mods the way the factory would have done them, so to complete it I needed to change out the pedal set, bore out the master cylinder hole, change the attachment points for the brake lines and fittings, swap out the front harness and instrument panel (yes they are different), I've modded the floor to give room for the left foot beside the brake pedal and then reinforced the floor where the mods are made. Also had to add the clutch cable tube.

From this:

To this:

Done like this:
Scorpma82 wrote:If you've got another car to fall back on....then simply work on this one as a leasiure past time...not a chore...otherwise all you going to do is remain unsatisfied with the final result
If I say that to myself, it'll sit there for a few more years.
I'm the type of bloke that needs motivation, and a deadline is the best type.

Dave...
stealth

Post by stealth »

Sorry , I read the hole thing and got confused
All clear now !
So wide or narrow , what extractors are you using and what induction
Geez I got some spares for this project !
What engine mounts are you going with height wise and are you moving it back at all ?
By the way dave la lancer engine bays are
Smaller than galant in everyway so anything that used to fit mine will go into yours
Keep up the excellent work dave glad to see it being worked on
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Is an astron 1 wide block. So only 36mm intakes.
I just want to get it on the road to start, for intake I'll look at putting these on it after I drive it for a while.

GSXR 1100 40mm quad carbs

Other than that, I have a full 2.6 conversion with modded to fit stock Sigma exhaust manifold and pipes. I've also got another 2.6 conversion for bits, it has modded to fit extractors (I have no idea what brand they are).
I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, just a basic 2.6 into a hopefully very tidy (when done) wagon shell.

Dave...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DAMN, there's no "LIKE" button..

:)

Cheers..
stealth

Post by stealth »

Cool , even better its wide
As for engine mounts , I asked because theres two different heights , and it makes a big difference to roll centre height of the chassis ,inturn the handling
A astron 1 wide is 32 kg heavier than the 1600 , which isnt bad, but you want to plant it low as you can for weight transfer
Just trying to help
Cheers stealth
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

That sort of stuff is great for talking about motor racing......not sure how important weight distribution is when turning up ur driveway or in to a street
stealth

Post by stealth »

It mattered to mitsubishi !
The engine mount I speak of was factory issue on A78 la lancer factory fitted with a astron 2.0lt 4g52
I know its not a race car but anything that makes it nicer to drive is worthwhile in my opinion
Cheers stealth