75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75wagon
Admin

75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by 75wagon »

It's here.
I've just uploaded some pics. It's a bit of a piece, but watch this space, I'm planning on making this one prettier then the wagon. I know this seems hard to believe by looking at the pics, It's got rust, panel damage, the interior is stuffed and it doesn't go. Sounds like a good start to a project :lol:
I'll have my work cut out for me on this one. But the wagon didn't look all that much better then this when I started (it wasn't rusty).
Just tying it down on the trailer for the trip home...

On the way home...

My mate Bob, got it up this almost impossible drive and we pushed it off the trailer and into the garage...

That will do for now. I ran out of light. I'll take some of the interior in the morning.
I've got big plans for this one... :think:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan project...

Post by astronturbo77 »

well done mate, shes not that bad, you should have seen me coupe when i started. i WILL be watching this build very closely! any ideas on which way your going with this one? paint? wheels? engine?

put some old school deepdish wheels on it. 15x9 -10's!!!
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Congrats mate cant wait to see it!
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks like a great place to start mate and going by the out come of the wagon we are all expecting something fantastic.
I will be watching intently.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The plan is (for now), to respray it dark met grey, and re-trim the interior in a dark burgundy/red.
I have a hardtop grill for it. That's actually what has started the build.
I have another set of Cheviot hustlers 13x6 (same as the wagon)
I'm picking up new bolt on panels from Sydney for it tomorrow.
I want to fit GC tail lights to it as well, (we'll see how that goes).
The motor is staying standard for now (sorry to anyone who wanted me to have something quick), this may end up being a daily driver for me?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's the wheels...

Here's the grill
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

interested in a side draft manifold and some HF40 carbs (su copies) $100

lol plug much

anyway i reckon this would look sweet with some wide negative offset mags. big sway bars etc. Oh go ASTRON, cheap power for a daily. you can probaby tell im a tad excited :$
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

congrats man, looks the part mate. If your not interested in the side draughts i might be haha
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

HAHA Dave, you couldnt even wait until the Man Cave was finished!!!
What did Mrs 75Wagon have to say?

Why not just swap the motor out of the Wagon into it if its going to be your daily,
then do something special for the Wagon?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DanTurboLancer wrote:HAHA Dave, you couldnt even wait until the Man Cave was finished!!!
The roof just got put on 1 hour before the Galant got put in there. :lol: , it was cutting it fine I suppose?
DanTurboLancer wrote:What did Mrs 75Wagon have to say?
She's taken it quite well really. But I didn't let her see the car and I didn't take any photos of it before it came (otherwise I don't think it would be it there at all).
DanTurboLancer wrote: Why not just swap the motor out of the Wagon into it if its going to be your daily,
then do something special for the Wagon?

I have thought about this, but not quite the way you are thinking. I got an extra bit with the car (which is made from 'UNOBTANIUM'), and this might be going on the wagon if I can find the other parts to go with it?
Lets put it this way, the No5 cam would be made more use of...

Dave...
ted

Post by ted »

Unreal!!!! Looks like she will be a beast!!!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

are you keeping that bumper dave? or you looking for a GC one?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

More pics...
Just to give you guys an idea of what I'm starting with. This thing is not very straight.

I should probably keep both the Smiths rear demister, and the Chrysler anniversary stickers shouldn't I?

Nice exhaust system isn't it?

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:are you keeping that bumper dave? or you looking for a GC one?
I have a GC one but will be keeping this one (or same type as it), I have to have the parkers and blinkers in the bumper or I'd have to find another way (or place) to put them.
I will probably straighten these bars and colour code them to the car.

Dave...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

you mean colour over the chrome?

:(

you have a lot of work cut out for you mate, good luck
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

not too shabby at all, all the gd galants that come up for sale here in w.a are far more worse than that. I think you should leave the bumpers chrome, ive seen old school rides that have bumbers colour coded and they just dont look right
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The idea is that if I can't have straight chrome bumpers, then I can live with painted ones. I'm not going with an original look on this one (it costs too much), I'll keep the wagon with that look. I want something different with this one.
I just got back from a parts pick up from Western Svdney and just finished unloading. I bought some panels and heaps of extra stuff. I'm very happy with what I bought :thumpsup: Thanks Mark.

More pics will be coming tomorrow.

Dave...
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

best way mate is completley strip her to a shell and put it on stands and start on the body
A112H

Post by A112H »

by astronturbo77 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 pm

best way mate is completley strip her to a shell and put it on stands and start on the body
Thats the best way, I didn't strip mine completely leaving wiring, fuel lines and front and rear glass but it is a good place to start :blah: I have no idea what I am talking about, lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My plan is to do the same thing I did with the wagon. I start with the bolt on panels.

I will repair the front guards and fit the new set of doors I have to make sure all the body work lines up. This is the stage with the wagon that I realised that the drivers side rear guard needed to be brought out a couple of mm to line up with the rest of the panels. To adjust the doors so the panels line up perfect, I need the front guards to be done and fitted to the car. I'll go through the front panels I have and pick the best ones and repair and fit them.

The doors I got yesterday are (from what I can see so far) PERFECT. And the boot lid too. The bonnet I got wasn't to bad but a little bit of rust on the front of the support frame. The bonnet from the car doesn't really seem to have rust yet from what I can see, but has hail damage and small accident damage to the passengers front corner. I should be able to fix that no problem. I think the bonnet that's on the car is the best option yet (I'd rather repair dents then rust).

The roof of the car is covered with hail damage too, I didn't see this when I first looked at the car, the roof was covered with crap, and to tell the truth I was really more worried about rust.

The rear passengers guard is my biggest problem for rust, but I'm pretty sure I can handle that. I've managed to sort a loan of an oxy welder to fix it (I'm a rubbish welder with a mig).

The Bumpers may be able to be fixed, I got another rear one yesterday, I may be able to make one reasonable 1 out of the 2. I'll still have to straighten it a bit though. If I damage the chrome too much in the process I'll just paint the bars, the front on isn't too good either. I don't have a spare GD front bar anywhere and unless I can find one then painting them may be my only option. Or covert it to a GC bar, which then causes the problem of where the front blinkers and parker lights go. I don't want to fit after market (or auto parts shop generic) lights, they look gay.
The GC tail lights I got yesterday are near perfect so I think I will go ahead with that conversion. I just want to see the rear panel on a GC compared to a GD (without lights) to compare how much they are different. Can anyone help me with pics? Kirk maybe?
astronturbo77 wrote:best way mate is completely strip her to a shell and put it on stands and start on the body
I will do this, everything will come out of this one. Window glass, wiring, interior, petrol tank and suspension. Have a look at the build pics for my wagon. I only left the rear axle assembly and exhaust in the car. I couldn't remove those things because there was no room in the pathetic garage that I was working in and the car had to be moved out on the driveway everytime I had to work on it. The exhaust was welded in one piece front to back , so I just masked it up and worked around it :@
I've got a big shed this time, so this time I can leave it where I'm working on it.

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

The Bumpers may be able to be fixed, I got another rear one yesterday, I may be able to make one reasonable 1 out of the 2. I'll still have to straighten it a bit though. If I damage the chrome too much in the process I'll just paint the bars, the front on isn't too good either. I don't have a spare GD front bar anywhere and unless I can find one then painting them may be my only option. Or covert it to a GC bar, which then causes the problem of where the front blinkers and parker lights go. I don't want to fit after market (or auto parts shop generic) lights, they look gay.
The gaurd mounted indicators will be fine on their own, that where they are on a GC anyway. As for the parkers, I am pretty sure you can get head lights with parkers in them, fit them to the outer low beam lights and you are good to go.
The GC tail lights I got yesterday are near perfect so I think I will go ahead with that conversion. I just want to see the rear panel on a GC compared to a GD (without lights) to compare how much they are different. Can anyone help me with pics? Kirk maybe?
Ask an ye shall receive

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

i got a quote last year from Hamilton Chrome for re-straightening my bumpers and re chroming
and it was going to be $500. which in my opinion isnt too bad
that was for both front and back
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

pistorf

Post by pistorf »

Dave
If it comes up anywhere as good as the wagon It will be sweet. Great find.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Thanks to all...
It's a long hard slog ahead and only time will tell how it turns out.
I didn't get any pics up today as promised.......... sorry.
I've been busy.

I'll sort something with the bumper bars, I hope to keep them chrome, but we'll see what happens.

Dave...
ted

Post by ted »

You will be right dave!! it will be an absolute pissa!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I had the day off today, so started doing a little bit of work to see exactly how bad it is.

This panel was probably the worst, so I thought I'd start there. It had a pretty bad crease in it.
This is the best I could get it. I'm not a panel beater by any means, but I'm a demon with bog :thumpsup: I just don't like to use to much of it.

I sorted through my spare panels to see if there were anything any better then what was on the car. The green GD wagon guards are the pick of the bunch, but they still need some major work.

I stopped for a break, a quick drink and time for a pic.

These are the panels I got from Western Sydney on Saturday nite. Well worth the trip. The bonnet was also acquired on that trip along with a boot. The bonnet unfortunately has a bit of rust in it, so I may end up using the original brown one off the car, it's full of hail dents but not rusty at all. I'll pick bent over rusty anyday.

So far it looks like it could be good enough to spend some money on, but only just. To tell the truth, I think I've saved this from where it should probably have ended up... at the metal recycling yard?

I took out the tail lights and rear panel and tried the GC tail lights. The hole don't line up. The GC light housings bolt pattern is narrower. But not too much of a problem. I think I will fit them and maybe even leave the GD rear panel in place (I was thinking of welding the GC panel in it's place).

Dave...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Geez... that poor girl hasn't had an easy life :think:

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out Dave.
Know what you mean with whether your doing the right thing spending the time & cash on a car of that state...
But... luckily cars aren't an investment, rather big toys, so they don't need to conform to making financial sense :lol: ( although at times you do wonder :$ )

Back to the car, any rust around the windows or where the front door closes on the chassis next to the windscreen (proper name??)

Keep it up mate.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

81GL wrote:any rust around the windows or where the front door closes on the chassis next to the windscreen
Do you mean at the front of the scuff plates on the top of the sill? If so then no.

That's the thing about this car that I don't get. Most of the body seems pretty clean for rust. Except for.
The bottoms of the front guards were bad. I took them off today and the drivers side sill had been plated before. The passengers side sill isn't that bad but does still require some welding.
The passengers rear guard is obviously bad (the section removed is in the boot).
The drivers rear guard isn't too bad.
There is no rust or repairs (so far) around the screens.
There is a bit of rust around the passengers tail light (again not bad)
The doors could be fixed, but I wont bother as they aren't very straight.

Dave...
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

looks good man :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

best of luck man