75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
webby

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post by webby »

I think R32 GT-R Gunmetal Metallic would work well on this with the red interior, plus it's a cool as colour :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

On the tint note, if you went dark it will come out pretty sweet. The rear 3 windows on my wagon are 5% and the doors are 15% (not sure if those are universal %s).
I'll be watching this thread.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I was mucking around in the garage today, thought I'd see what some of the different rims I have here to choose from would look like on the wagon.
The 16x8 +10 Rota Grids off the hatch

The 14x6 +26 Superlite's that came on the hatch when I bought it.

I have come to a conclusion, the Rota's just don't look any good on it. A different colour may help, but I just don't think the style suits. I actually found myself liking the Superlites? BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, I'm not really a fan of Superlites.

And before anyone asks, yes this wagon will be getting lowered.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

superlites look heaps better :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

this wagon has a exelent colour combo /interior / exterior find the right wheels old or new style that suit it and keep the same theme as your wagon, that colour in 2pack with your workmanship will come up very nice ,also it will never go out of style ,unlike some cars that are built with certain add ons / mods of the time tend to look a bit tacky and out of date ,bigger supper lights in the same colour as you have 15 / 6 or 7 lowered perfectly , with an original theme and factory colours will be awesome ,just put a nice engine in it ,a nice vr4 or sig 2.6l would be perfect,just my 2 cents either way im sure it will turn out as good if not better than your current wagon. :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

IMO the superlites dont have enough offset and the others have too much. The superlites look way better though.

We all know that you'll make the car look good Dave. I think this one should have some guts too...2.6?
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

gaPhil wrote:IMO the superlites dont have enough offset and the others have too much. The superlites look way better though.
Those pics aren't the best angle, but the offset suits the smaller GA/B rear guard (that all wagons share), the fact that I want to lower it quite heavily means I need a rim that gives me a bit of clearance. By the time I put Sigma front struts and brakes on it, the front track will narrow up so I could use bolt on spacers on the front to bring them back out to where they look right, and on the back I could use longer studs and slip on spacers?

In a perfect world, I would just go and buy the rims I need to do that, but I don't have deep pockets :(
ghuphill wrote:this wagon has a exelent colour combo /interior / exterior find the right wheels old or new style that suit it and keep the same theme as your wagon, that colour in 2pack with your workmanship will come up very nice

As much as I have to agree with you, the whole reason I bought another wagon, is because I can't bring myself to change the direction I have taken with my original wagon. The plan is to get into this one, and build the mods into it that I want.
So I have an almost original wagon, now I want a modified one as well.
I am not planning on ruining it's old school character. I am taking my time to make sure I can make the mods I want and keep the original type look.
So I can guarantee that it wont end up with Chrome 18's on it.
gaPhil wrote:I think this one should have some guts too...2.6?
That's what I've got in my shed for it. I'd like to go EFI as well, but it's early days yet. Who knows what direction I'll take? I was starting to get interested in one of superscan811's quad motorbike carby set ups there for a while?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
nickseward007

Post by nickseward007 »

whats the paint code u used for ur car
nickseward007

Post by nickseward007 »

woops wrote:It looks to be a pretty good start to the project and we know you have the skills and patience to get it right. I know the wreckers you are referring to up in Brisbane here and I have a few pics of the galants and lancers on my computer and phone if you wanted me to PM them to you for a bit more detail.

Also for the colour of the car, I have always been pretty keen to paint a car in the deep red which I saw on a GTO somewhere online. Or a deep almost midnight blue too.

whats the paint code u used for ur car
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

nickseward007 wrote:whats the paint code u used for ur car
That GTO is not an original colour, and although I don't know the actual code, I would guess it is candy apple red over silver base coat.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, something has finally happened.
I have got the old girl started up and back out from under the house and back into the garage. I've replaced the tailgate hinges (as they were knackered).

I'm trying to find some inspiration for what direction to take. My son and I have been out in the carport sitting in it working out what to do with it?

At the moment I'm leaning towards leaving it a 1.6 auto and making it my daily.

As for body colour I'm really struggling, after having a good look at the interior it's in really good condition, seems a shame to re-trim it. So I'm trying to figure out what colour would look good with it? I want to paint it a different colour to green (i don't need 2 green wagons, it's already hard enough trying to explain which one I'm talking about). I used to refer to my original wagon as 'the wagon'. I can't do that anymore.
So Brown interior means no silver, grey, or black. I don't want a white wagon (white's way to common). I wanted to go purple or charcoal, but they are out (because of the brown).
I want something that looks classy, looks like it was meant to be that colour originally (just like it rolled out of the factory that way). I prefer darker colours to light, as it shows of the chrome better, and the curves of the body too.

Things I will be adding to the car:
- Tacho dash
- 13x6 Cheviot Hustler mag wheels (matching set of 5, same as my other wagon)
- pair of old school Stratos seats (brown in colour)
- new strut tops
- twin carbs with factory air cleaner set up
- better dash pad (the current one has a bit of a warp in it, not bad, but the other one I have is better)
- possibly an auto gearbox change (that's if I keep it auto), I have another sitting in my shed.
- better rear bar (that isn't twisted up like a lolly wrapper)
- coupe grill (I've managed to get hold of a NOS one from the Philippines, and I bought one from a swap meet that has a good badge and stainless trim bottom strip)
- pair of front guard rust replacement sections
- I know I've got more, I just can't think of what exactly I do have (this project has been in the collection stage for a while now, so I've actually forgotten a lot of what I have picked up for it)

Dave...
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

so if you dont want silver, grey or black or white or green. maybe red? it would look good on a wagon i think. they have a nice shape and some great lines on them so red would be nice i spose.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Possibly a nice metallic gold colour would be OK with the brown?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I vote for the super dark brown/purple that the new Mazdas come in
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, it's been a while, but I've finally done something.
I've spent the day cleaning/ detailing Prosser's old wagon (it's been tucked away under the house for way to long).

New hinges fitted thank's 72GalantGirl

The reason hinges needed replacing

13x6 +5 Cheviot Hustler, and NOS Coupe Grill badge

Rubbish pic (not a steady hand), but it shows all the years of black gunk now removed.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, I've finally made more progress with this.
I now have acquired another wagon to make 2 into one.
Here's some pics of it.

Trial fitted the 16x8 +10 Rota Grids. Looks like they fit perfect to me? The GH struts help (narrowing up the front track)

H4 conversion

The wheels it came with 14x6 ROH

Sigma GH SE seats (sit way to high in the wagon for me), these will be coming out for sure. If anyone is interested in them let me know (the drivers seat has adjustable lumbar support)

And now the bad bits.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm trying to work out my final plans for what my finished product will be, and as always it's never easy.
So many options?
I could repair the body work of the new wagon and get it engineered and rego'd, or paint the light green one and transplant everything mechanical across, and then I'm left with a shell that is too good to scrap? H'mm? Decisions, decisions?

I fitted one of my Stratos seats in the drivers side of the new wagon, and my seating position is now a whole hand span lower in the car. The GH SE seats that the car came with were way to high (I was rubbing my head on the roof). My shoulder now sits level with the bottom of the window glass :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I never thought I'd ever say it, but I think the new drivers seating position is to low? I can only just see over the dash, and I've nearly got a full hand span from the top of my head to the roof. It almost feels like sitting on the floor? Even the Recaros in my other wagon feel like you sit high in them after the Stratos seats.

When I first got this wagon home I took it for a quick blast, I'd have to say it felt slower then my other wagon. This one has a fully reco'd 2.6, and even though the reconditioning was done in about 2006, it was never rego'd after it was done. The previous owner told me he's only done a lap of 2 around the block. So the motor is still pretty tight. I've put fresh fuel in it, and run it a couple of times, I also advanced the timing from 1 to 2 degrees up to about 8 or 9 (which did wake it up a bit), but after a lap this morning, it seems like it's starting to free up. It's actually got a bit of pull now (H)
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

Hi Dave are you going to leave some galants for the other galant fans or are you intent on buying all the wagons :lol: but I can see this is going to be a great looking car when done just by the standard of your green one mate cheers Chris
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

crystalmeths wrote:are you going to leave some galants for the other galant fans or are you intent on buying all the wagons
I actually can't believe I ended up getting this one.
I went to look at it last April.
The previous owner rang me on Saturday and asked if I was still interested in it?

It actually fits into the puzzle with what I need right now. It didn't at the time when I first looked at it.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, I've been trying to work out which way to go with all the wagon stuff I have (plus the other stuff).

So does anyone have a concept that they would run with, with the stuff I've collected?

The only thing I'm missing is the steering wheel (I won't run a stock wheel), so I'm curious to hear what others would do?
I've got a few ideas, but someone may think of something better?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Make it into a ute :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Pants to cutting it up into a ute - turn it into a panel van! Modify the back seat hinge panel so you can put the spare wheel in the back under it on one side, and the jack + tools on the other. Ditch the factory fuel tank and spare wheel hanger and fit a larger baffled tank (I toyed with a Cordia turbo tank and it went under with a little lateral thinking) :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't want to cut it up or weld bits into it to change it, the body is way to good for those sort of mods, and I don't have the skills required to pull it off properly anyway.

What I was thinking for this wagon build though, is to go modern (The GC wagon is original enough for me, and I don't need 2 cars exactly the same).

So what I'm thinking:
16x8 Rotas (most likely painted but they could stay white).
Carbon bits in the interior (instead of wood grain).
Could even be a fully stripped out interior painted the same colour as the outside?

Any thoughts on that?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I think I've found out what's wrong with the 2.6 in this brown wagon. It keeps running out of petrol (three times now), I know it has more fuel in it then that (I put it in). It has to be the fuel pump not keeping supply up to the carb. Looks like I'm going to start stripping stuff off he other 2.6 I have. It has a fuel pump on it that looks as good as new :thumpsup: You've just got to love those spur off the moment purchases that you do sometimes (especially when the price seems too good to be true).
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

i like the modern idea but i wouldnt go for a stripped interior. a nice custom interior would be nicer imo (ie all black with coloured stiching or inserts etc)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

thats sorta the theme im going for in my interior....i just need to work out how to stitch up seats.......i think that would be the hardest task
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Thanks for the input lads.
I'm thinking now I should just go with my original idea?
Metallic Grey (possibly 2 tone) with burgundy red interior, but as the red interior is so hard to come by, I just my have to pay to get it done.
Also thinking to go with that, painting the Rotas black, painting the coupe grill dark metallic grey, de-badging the bodywork, fitting the original side body moulding strips (like my green wagon) but removing the arch moulds, doing the interior woodgrain panels in carbon (dash and console), fitted GA/B door trim tops and custom door cards with speaker pods, red seats, carpet, black steering wheel (flat Nardi style), maybe a custom console that goes up to the back of the front seats.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Still think you should do this to it :thumpsup:

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

what about a Legnum ute????
Built with pride, Driven in anger