75wagon's GD sedan, now wagon project...

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
ted

Re: 75wagon's GD sedan project...

Post by ted »

hahaha love the beer on the table bud!! always help with a hard slog on a car!! haha
Already have great progress!!
ozgdgalants

Post by ozgdgalants »

Hi dave the galant looks good plenty of night's & weekends work ahead but when she at the end looks as smart like the wagon WOW you will be happy? Another galant saved from scrapers death is a bonus well done keep up the good work?.
ted

Post by ted »

Any progress Dave? Any more pics?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

OK, I've been out in the garage working on it. In fact just come inside for a while.

I checked the difference between the GD and GC tail lights. It shouldn't be too hard to fit the GC ones. I might have to fill the holes where the GD tail lights fit up to, as the holes are further apart and atm unsure if the GC surrounds will cover them fully,
I'm still in assessment mode with this car. Trying to work out whether it's worth spending any money on. As I'm removing body filler, I'm discovering hidden repairs (read rubbish repairs). Why do people just bog up big holes with filler? I suppose because it's cheap. I've always assumed the worst with this car, and it's turning out to be as bad as I could of imagined. I'm starting to wonder why I bought this POS.

Still, with time and patience I will get through it. It just seems like a huge mountain to climb atm.

I'll keep looking at this car and try, I'm still trying to work out if it's worth spending money on?? I'll make up my mind on it soon, and then there will be no turning back.

Sorry no pics, I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey mate, big projects are always hard at the start. ive been in the position where you buy a car and get it home to start stripping it and wonder if its worth spending money on it. when i fist got my coupe it was far worse than your sedan, but i couldn't find another as they are non existant here in tassie, so i just went ahead with it and now i have a near mint primered body shell. have you considered getting another shell to start with? maybe try your local wreckers and find a half decent body shell?

what about kirkastron's blue shell that got smashed? he is near you isn't he?

anyway mate good to hear the progress :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've always looked at this one as a project that I could walk away from.
I haven't spent any real money on it yet, so it doesn't matter. But I think I can do something with it. It might even become a rally pig if nothing else...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kirkstanton

Post by kirkstanton »

looks like its going to be a long build Dave! I'm going to keep a eye on this build! I bet when its done it will be amazing.

if you want my galant as a donor give me a shout, most of the parts that you'll need (body panels) are straight and 99% rust free

thanks,
kirk
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Worse case mat go halves with your young bloke as a rally car,
Teaches him to drive with out damaging your good cars ;)
and how to fix cars,
win win

(But knowing you, you wouldnt be able to help yourself,
You will decide its not worth spending money on and say its just a rally car,
but it will be the straightest, and best painted rally car at the track lmao) :thumpsup:

Or sell it to me for a carton so i can rally it lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Or sell it to me for a carton so i can rally it lol
You drive a hard bargain Dan.

I will keep this offer in mind though?
DanTurboLancer wrote:Worse case mat go halves with your young bloke as a rally car,
Teaches him to drive with out damaging your good cars ;)
and how to fix cars,
win win
It would be good if I could get him out in the garage at all.
Don't you have to be 14 to be able to get a cams license? He turns 11 in Oct, so would be a little while off yet.

It's looking like a big job atm. It's like anything I suppose, the mountain looks it's biggest form the bottom as you take your first steps to climb it.

Mrs 75wagon Quote:
'You wanted a Galant, you had to have it, and to get it in the shed straight away so you had a project. You said this would be your daily. Now make it good.'

So the boss has spoken... I have to admit though, I didn't think she would take a stance like that on it. :lol:

Dave...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

HAHA, yes but want and need are two different things.

You wanted a project, you got it.
But you need a good starting point from which to build a reliable Daily.

Im all for you doing it from this car, but its upto you mate, commit now, or salvage what you can towards being able to sell it as a complete car and get some money back on it??

Then sit and wait for the right project to come up.
You have time on your side.

Oh and heaps of guys use there rally cars as dailies.
Just dont need to go overboard on it.

A couple of year build up, getting him to help out here and there and by the time he gets to 14 he may be interested?
Or he may want nothing to do with them, and he hates cars because dad likes cars, and he is a teenager and he hates everything haha.
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Got some more pics yet?
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I haven't taken any pics other then the difference between the GD and GC tail light mountings.

I can assure you of this though. I am thinking there is too much rust in this to try to make a tidy car out of it.
So that now leaves me with a rally car focus.

So that goes like this.
Reput all the original panels on it, and cut the rust out as well, (the rust repairs would be focused more on strength then cosmetic).
I'll be aiming for a road rego'd rally car (as I don't have anything to tow it).
I'll try to get a copy of the rules for dirt/mud rallies at Awaba Rally club (they race once a month and are only 10mins away from here) then build the car to suit.
I would aim towards the basic (stock) class. This should provide the most fun for $$$.

Then rally the crap out of it till it dies. But my experience with Galants tells me I might die first :P

Hows that sound?

Dave...
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I was checking out their website Friday night thinking i should have some fun with the Sigma. I believe Dan has been involved with them in the past with his old grey Lancer.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Yes they are a good club, Guy i went to school withs Dad was the Treasurer, Not sure if he still is?
This is an outline of the club
http://www.wac.org.au/downloads/files/C ... cument.pdf

This is the actual club site and event calender
http://www.wac.org.au/

If you join Awaba, you can also race at Raymond terrace, or Taree, Kempsy, Tamworth, even Coffs Harbour if you were that keen haha.

Pretty much All of those clubs have Tar Hillclimb tracks,
MotorKana (dirt Marked witches hat circuits),
and Khanacross (circuit through the bush) Lots of fun!
And Rally Sprint, but you need to go alot more involved with the build for them.

And you can even race at King Edward park if you do afew of the hillclimb events.

Ive actually been thinking of joining back up for awhile now, get the Racing Red Laser out there,
FWD but still will be fun!

Come out and have a look for a weekend, and check out the club and the tracks?
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Khanacross on the 15th but i have plans that day.

I might have to try and make it to the Motorkhana on the 6th of June.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I have been spending a lot of time over the last couple of days thinking about where I'm going with this project...
Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with.

The rear of the drivers sill

Close up

Drivers side rear

Inside view of drivers side rear

It's all fixable, but the question I keep asking myself is how much time and effort should i really put into this car? The lower parts pf the body aren't all that good, but the upper parts don't seem bad at all.
Thoughts anyone?

Dave...
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Go for it mate. I reckon you can pull a decent dally out of it. I'm good to give a hand every now and then , and learn a few things :D
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

maybe start stripping it, and keep an eye out at the same time - if a decent body comes up just cut and paste some panels?
ted

Post by ted »

wow!! thats abit heavy man!! id be looking at finding something else its ALOT of work for a daily!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ted wrote:wow!! thats abit heavy man!! id be looking at finding something else its ALOT of work for a daily!
You are right, it is a lot of work for a daily.

I'm undecided still on what exactly to do with it. I can handle the work on it, just deciding on whether I want to or not. The car has cost me bugger all, so really I could walk away at any point. The easy option is just plate/ then bog it up and rally it. And I've been there, was thinking seriously about it?

But this weekend I've been stripping that rotor powered Galant, and started wondering if that is the way I should go? But, I don't think that conversion is for me. Tell you what though, it's been interesting playing with this thing. I've never touched a rotor before. I have to admit to taking my time stripping it, I think I'm learning heaps, just by playing with it. Still, from playing with it, I've learned what needs to be done to make the conversion a better one. And I don't think the things I would have changed would have taken much longer either.

I've just been spent the last hour or so looking at JNC, looking up Mazda builds (trying to learn a little more). Looking at RX4's 3's and 2's etc... anyway it's got me thinking, maybe I should do my Galant sedan properly. Put the time in and detail the crap out of everything, just like I've always wanted to do on a build. I still wouldn't mind doing the whole 2.6 injected conversion to it. I gave the idea away when I got the second set of 13x6 Cheviot Hustlers. But I put them on the rotor Galant that has the Scorpian front struts and they fit. So much for 13's not fitting over 2.6 struts... the ones I have do. So the 2.6 is still an option, maybe?

Dave...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

id go for the 2.6 swap mate, soo much more torque than the old saturn, add a decent cam and carby/ injectors and you will be impressed. but looking at those photos mate i would be looking at another shell. if you werent so far away id offer my coupe project to ya. :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Plate it, bog it, drop the rotor in it, use the engineers report.
Everything is there, so you just have to swap it in, ill help you with engine mounts if you need.
Give it a flashy paint job.
It will cost you for paint, and the motor/Gbox, plus rebuild motor,
drive it.

If you hate the power, sell it.
Some cashed up young bloke from Sydney will buy it just because its a rotory, and he cant afford an RX3 :P

But its not really a daily then is it.

Or
just quick fix on body work now, and drive it,
Spend nothing on it, just quick paint, even stock colour...
go for occasional dirt event, and advertise it at the rally track, someone might take it off your hands for a small profit, then you put that money towards a better shell...
But then you dont want to use your good panels...

Too many decisions Dave :think:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just a bit of an update.
Nothing much has happened, but collecting parts at the moment.
I now have for the build
- tacho dash
- coupe/hardtop grill
- race seats
- another set of 13x6 Cheviot Hustlers (same as on my wagon) that fit over 2.6 strut/brake conversion
- rust replacement sections
- a few variations of front bar/light combinations (between different models that I have to work out what's best)
- GC tailights
- too much time sitting there looking at it while drinking too much beer and coming up with crazy ideas on what I should do with it.

I may or may not be converting this to a 2.6 (that's all I can say at the moment).
But it does raise some questions.
To get a 2.6 engineered in NSW.
What is it likely to cost me?
Things I'm assuming I'd have to get engineered:
- front struts/brakes (Sigma 2.6 conversion obviously).
- 2.6 engine itself

Anything else I've missed?

If I go down this path, I'd want to go EFI as well.

An actual start on this project should be soonish??? I hope...

Dave...
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i wood go wiv sumthing more like a 4g62 sires motor rather than a 2.6 but thats just me :D
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

looks good mate, keep up the good work. I love the garage by the way, can't wait to build my own when the mrs and I get our own place! :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
bigbird

Post by bigbird »

my bluebird cost me $330 for engineering... i had to even engineer the exhaust. wasn't 2 much trouble thou
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

max you would be looking would be 500
but it should be around the 350 mark
get everything on it - engine, brakes, rims, suspension, seats, exhaust.
that way, its all legit, and as a daily, thats what you want
they may ask you to do a rear upgrade of the brakes as well, but i'm only guessing there....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

colta51 wrote:i wood go wiv sumthing more like a 4g62 sires motor rather than a 2.6 but thats just me :D
I may be on to a motor in particular. That's why a 2.6.
psshhhht wrote:looks good mate, keep up the good work. I love the garage by the way, can't wait to build my own when the mrs and I get our own place! :)
The garage is almost finished now. And almost full. Now I just have to pull everything back out again and line the walls with gyprock, so that I can start to build my bench.
bigbird wrote:my bluebird cost me $330 for engineering... i had to even engineer the exhaust. wasn't 2 much trouble thou
77galantv6 wrote:max you would be looking would be 500
but it should be around the 350 mark
get everything on it - engine, brakes, rims, suspension, seats, exhaust.
that way, its all legit, and as a daily, thats what you want
they may ask you to do a rear upgrade of the brakes as well, but i'm only guessing there....
Anything around $300 sounds good. To tell the truth I thought it would have been a lot worse.
Got any suggestions on who to go and see? I truly am going into new ground here, I've got no idea.
As for back brakes, I wonder if upgrading to wagon rear drums would do? I have some of those lying around already...

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've got a couple of questions I hope someone can answer:
Do sigma rear brakes (disc or drum, I don't care) bolt up to a galant sedan diff housing? (I have no idea, I have never modded one of these before).
What size are the drums off a 2.6 sigma? Are they the same size as Galant wagon/Lancer hatch rear drums 236mm? GD Galant Sedan drums are 206mm.
I am not building a race car so I don't need huge brakes. Just standard 2.6 sigma brakes is what I'm after (or equivalent)...

I have a plan brewing and this is the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave...
ted

Post by ted »

Yeah id really like to know the answer to daves questions too!! anyone?