EOI: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack. WA

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
shuggy

Re: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack

Post by shuggy »

Dropped the engine off to RPW the other day. Will be done by end of January as they close for a few weeks over Xmas. Final work to be carried out is fully recon, skim the cast of the rods, ballance and fit better rod bolts, maybe fit OS bearings. Fit OS high comp pistons with chrome top ring, check the head I supplied and fit #5 cam and dual valve springs, and new valves. match port intake and exhaust, and I think that's it? Oh fit electric dizzy and all the usual stuff.

Whole car has been primed, engine bay and boot have had final coat. Just need to prep and prime 3 more doors and the bonnet before final coats. No other cutting or welding required. All finished.

Front brakes reconditioned and all new hoses hooked up. My brakes are all connected and working now!

Rear shocks have been paid for they will be here in a few days.

have all new rubber Ready to go on including screen rubbers. Just need a boot seal and bailey channel for the doors.

Fr pics click the link in my signature.

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

For anybody who wants to know where im at..

Picked up the new donk - list of work completed:
1.75 OS, skimmed block and head slightly
ARP rod botls
Match port to intake and extractors
#5 works cam
double valve springs
new valves & seats as well as completely overhauled head
Beamed & balanced conrods
OS bearings on crank
flywheel done & exedy fitted

Box in

Carbs all set up ready to go

The guys left this galley plug in when they bolted on the intake.. Lucky i was paying attention...

Donk in

Installed a thermo just because i hate the original nylon one so much.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6438_n.jpg

And this is the video of the first time i started it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFYif8qTfU

I did bend the dizzy shaft and had to replace it but all good now.

Just gotta do a little more paint and then its reassembly time.
Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Looking good and sounds great :thumpsup:
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Hey team.

WA Chrysler Expo coming up in Jan and i plan to be there representing us as a body.

For anyone who actually cares where im up to after 30 months of slow work, there are some pics below, or you can visit the whole album in my signiture for the whole build.

Work completed:
EXTERIOR
Full respray with original color and clear (never doing it again)
New front and rear rubbers, along with new door seals, bailey channels, window insert rubbers and boot rubber
Under bonnet has heat/sound proof foam liner.
New mud guards on the rear, front ones not reinstalled.
Different import grill installed.
New front indicators, new H4 & H7 Halogen lights
Tail lights detailed & new front park ligh lenses.
Bumpers disassembled, de rusted, coated & reassembled.
All gaps sealed completely.
Underbelly rustproofed and all black.

ENGINE (full rebuild)
1.6 4g32 chain drive
Original stage 5 works cam
Beamed rods
high comp GS pistons 1.75 O/S
Electronic ignition conversion
Full rebuilt twin down draught solex mikunis with vac secondary
Laster cut custom airbox with XC filter
double valve springs
belt drive alloy rocker conversion
decked a tiny bit
full balance
match ported
New alternator & pump
ARP
Exedy
New sigma radiator (replacing with S14 allow in a week to accomodate A/C)
4-1 extractors
2 inch sports system with single muffler
5 speed

DRIVELINE
New slotted rotors, high density pads and rebuild cylinders
New brake lines all round
Polished drums, new pads and new rear cylinders
New OEM master cylinder with SS sleeve.
Rebuilt booster
Nolathane from front & rear leaf eyes, to lower control arms (pain in the ass), to sway bar links.
New ball joints
New monroe gas rears and new monroe sensatracs on front
Original springs
new strut tups
New tie rod ends, drag link and idler bush.
New engine mounts, gearbox mount.
New seals and shims in diff after flush and then new oil.
New wheel bearing all round
New UV joints on drive shaft
Fuel tank treated, all new hoses and facet pump under boot above diff wired through boot floor.
New handbrake line.
5 Speed fully rebuilt

INTERIOR
Centre console installed
Under glovebox A/C fitted using factory blocked off ports in firewall, welded waterpump pulley to crank pulley (replacing with alternator pulley to lower AC RPM).
A/C control plastic welded to the underside of centre console slot, with master power supply running through old demister switch and demister switch light triggered via compressor cutting in and out. Solenoid also wired inline with compressor to slightly increase idle when engaged as was cutting out.
New underliner and carper fitted (if you buy from knox, make sure you ask for longer up front, i sent them a pic of where it stops at the top of the pedels.
Original seats reinstalled that had the plastic still on them when i bought it.
New custom beige seatbelts with original chrome buckles (4 only)
New Alpine speaker and adapter plate to replace the original paper cone speaker for the AM radio (Cranks!) - Amp with in-centre-console iPad control coming soon
New heater tap, sealed heater box, flushed coil, and all new vent hoses.
New OEM interior light and lense.
Brighter lights behind dash for speedo & tacho etc, and light in ash tray.
Original parcel shelf with original aftermarket 70's speakers (will be reusing the 70's covers with new 6x6's)
New springs in all door lock mechanisms

OTHER
Recon wiper motor, new wiper arm joins and blades
Under bonnet seams all sealed with drip check, and sika for big holes.
Pepperpots with new tyres fitted (from Ben letmefnkin), but OEM steel rims with new centre caps will be here very soon to replace them.
My original XGRxxx plates from my GC are to be collected when i cbf.

PICS IN NEXT POST
Last edited by shuggy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Here are some befor and after shots of my car, followed by some recent shots showing current state for those of you who may care.

I have since installed sound/heat/green proof black foam on the underside of the bonnet.

And just some glamor:

Thanks Guys.

Cheers
letmefknin

Post by letmefknin »

:thumpsup:
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Hey Shuggy,

Was wondering how you have been going with this. You've been a bit quiet. She's looking really good mate.
1976 Galant Hardtop
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Yeh just have so many other more important things happening ya know
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Looks great mate :thumpsup:

So... how does the new engine run?
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Runs well, but only done 700km. I'm going to do a few more km before I test her.

Idles mean as, and i have timing set at 20 degrees static, but i need to have dizzy recurved because i cant sit on any less than 80 in 5th without pinging. Could also have something to do with it being a #5 cam too!

Pick up and get go is nice, but i tell you what, driving my mildly worked wagon with 4g54, mild cam and 38/38 synchronous DGES weber one day, to driving the 4g32 the next is a hell of a lot different! the 4g54 has a rediculous amounf of bottom end torque and with a exedy HD and billet shifer its like stepping into a sloppy and slow granny car when i get into my sedan!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Are you going to be putting the pin striping/decal back on the car since it is now resprayed?
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

builds coming along nicely, any info on the Chrysler expo? wouldnt mind having a look if it hasnt already gone
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote:but i need to have dizzy recurved because i cant sit on any less than 80 in 5th without pinging. Could also have something to do with it being a #5 cam too!
What fuel are you running it on ... I assume 98RON ? From memory, they are flat-top pistons rather than the original GS ones, so with the block decked you've probably got around 10:1 compression (or more) so anything less than 98 is going to ping.

With an engine of that spec, you wouldn't expect it to run well under 80km/h in 5th anyway, would you ? Especially if it's got a stock diff ratio and is running 15" wheels ! Saturn motors like to rev ... they sure aren't a "boulevard cruiser" .....
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Cottees wrote:Are you going to be putting the pin striping/decal back on the car since it is now resprayed?
I have to replace the front fenders as i used 2 off my coupe as they were the best nic ones i had, and they dont fit properly. After that i will. But that will be after i get back from europe.
75ANT wrote:builds coming along nicely, any info on the Chrysler expo? wouldnt mind having a look if it hasnt already gone
http://www.chargerclubofwa.asn.au/
davetrees wrote:
shuggy wrote:but i need to have dizzy recurved because i cant sit on any less than 80 in 5th without pinging. Could also have something to do with it being a #5 cam too!
What fuel are you running it on ... I assume 98RON ? From memory, they are flat-top pistons rather than the original GS ones, so with the block decked you've probably got around 10:1 compression (or more) so anything less than 98 is going to ping.

With an engine of that spec, you wouldn't expect it to run well under 80km/h in 5th anyway, would you ? Especially if it's got a stock diff ratio and is running 15" wheels ! Saturn motors like to rev ... they sure aren't a "boulevard cruiser" .....
Of course, 98.
They are the GS ones, they arent 'flat' as such, Just no dish and very small valve recesses. Pretty high comp though yeh.
I guess its been a while since ive driven a saturn, your right about 80 in 5th. Ive just gotten used to my astron pulling in 5th at 60km like the saturn does in third at 60km.
skap

Post by skap »

nice build. congrats sir.
Inasaya

Post by Inasaya »

Nath76LA wrote:Hey Shuggy,

Was wondering how you have been going with this. You've been a bit quiet. She's looking really good mate.
Surely it looks nice. You have done good job and results are showing its effect
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Ive just gone through and added all images from before, so feel free to review the previous pages!

Anyway, have done a little more work lately, so here is an update!

The Stage 5 works cam was pitted when installed, and had chewed up my rocker faces so i installed new rockers and swapped in a stage 3 cam. Runs a treat.

The only reason I worked this out is i had to remove my rocker assembly to install new ARP head studs after snapping a head bolt in the black while retorquing at 1000km..

While I was at it i decided to swap my rocker cover for a Saturn branded one.

OLD:

After attacking it with a drill wire brush:

Paint with header paint:

Sand off risen parts:

Installed:

I also had to find a drop-down adapter for my rad hose from 38 to 32mm for my HK radiator, and the only thing i could find was a davies craig tempreture sender adapted that changes it from squeezing it between the rad and hose to a direct insert.

Had some ignition issues, so swapped out the vac advance unit on the dizzy with another and all is sweet! Also changed the vac secondary diaphragm hose from the original spot to the front of the other carb to get more vacuum to open the secondary earlier. A lot more torque!

Anyway.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Here are some shots from Chrysler Expo earlier this year.

My Wagon:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Finally I have bitten the bullet and tested out the engine. She has find 4000km. Surely that is enough for a test right?

I had some sync trouble but after removing the choke lever assembly it is all good. Correct timing. Good ratio.

So one cold night I was entering the highway and just said to myself screw it. Smashed the engine to 7000rpm in every gear to 3rd and 6000 in 4th before pulling back. Sounds amazing. It felt like it was going to just keep on pulling and pulling! This was with the#3 cam.

Anyway my #5 was pitted bad and chewed up my rockers so I had it ground.

B
I wanted to keep the original speakers but wanted good sound. Compromise.

And I have someone that has so far smashed my rear screem of my cressida, keyed my wagon and now this

And the same day I was watching 2 bikes and a skyline drag and I went into the back of someone. He had stopped short of the lights to watch the drag too so no insurance or anything

And I got my old plates back from my kermit!

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

After all that hard work - that is how it winds up. :( You've got no manner of luck shuggy...
ddt

Post by ddt »

noooo!!
I'm a pretty chilled out guy but when i see a car keyed like that it somehow just lights me up.

I mean, it's different to theft where someone wants something and so they take it. It's the motivation here that boggles my mind: it's like "i don't really want that car so i'm not going to bother stealing it but i am going to vandalise it because i want to make someone angry and upset using the minimum possible effort."

And it certainly works :@
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

it sure works.

just cant let them know it works. I just painted over them with a paintbrush with leftover paint..
shuggy

Re: EOI: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack. WA

Post by shuggy »

Anyone that watched this thread knows that there is about 1000 man hours, $20-25 grand and a whole lot of love in this car.

Im looking at moving her on.

What is she truly worth?

Nothing on the car hasnt been replaced unless it was schmick, like the interior..

Custom wireless covert stereo system.

Mongoose M7 Alarm.

The rest is listed above.
RyBj

Re: EOI: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack. WA

Post by RyBj »

so your thinking of selling it? man its sad to hear that, by the looks of it, youve put countless hours into this build. not to mention all the money and love. id love to see it before you get rid of it, the perth crew should go down to munchies for cars and coffee soon. around easter possibly or even our own little cruise.