EOI: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack. WA

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack

Post by oldn64 »

your getting there, I am at a loss why you needed to cut it anyway, confused. Might want to invest in a panel fine to finish it rather than trying a grinder. will be too quick and heat the meat. body file nice and slow and no heat... :thumpsup:

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

thanks for that :thumpsup: yeh with the grinder im doing it on and off so it doesnt heat up too much, but its hard. will look into those..

i had to cut it away because between the 2 plates of metal there was a hell of a lot of rust, like sandwiched in there, so i cut off the top plate and welded a new on. painted both sides with rust paint first of course. most burnt off but its better than bare metal!

here as pics of finished products..

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Shuggy you doing alright..but you need to spend a little more time in your panel fabrication..... One major issue is you forgot the front quarter panel lower bolt nuts.... How you going to bolt the panel on now?

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i saw that, but on the body, the part that the nut is on is protruding out. so i am going to indent it in slightly and weld a nut on the outside then drill it through..

same goes with the top rail, have to drill thru the rail to get to the nuts to bolt the panel onto..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

UPDATE: (no pics thou)

spent last few days swapping between spray putty / welding / sanding over and over

this panel is now perfectly flat after about 6 coats of spray putty and sanding it back each time

this spot has all been cut out and replaced, if you look at it you can easily tell it has been cut out and welded, but i dont care, saved myself 300 bucks on this spot by doin it myself

going to attempt repair on this one tomoro with the LA panel steel

and i am going to start building a rotisserie in the next week or so, actually, i have the truck tomoro i might do some measuring tonight and go buy some SHS tomoro! gonna just weld one end to the LA diff and the other end will be on a GC strut. will draw up a pic later maybe.

and im picking up the sapporo tomoro, god knows where im gonne put that.. :facepalm:
Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

new cylinder head arrived today with #3 cam installed. looks the goods!
was super cheap too, 113 bucks, build in california about 25 years ago, the warranty form is done with a typewriter haha
i have new valves arriving from israel soon so will put those in i think as these ones are recond, but god knows where im gonna find valve seats... any ideas??

PS update on the car.. i have done jack all in last week as i have been mucking around with the sapporo

bought myself a 2 tonne folding engine crane for funsies, was really cheap. will pay you thursday smithy!! or when tax money comes in whichever comes first :thumpsup:

glad i bought the oxy ive had to do some diy plumbing fixes in the shower ahah

and i have been searching for steel, found some really good cheap stuff at local salvage yard i think i will use for the rotissery.. gonna be awesome!

all for now.

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Great buy with the head shuggy :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Yes pretty stokd hey
Should see the flat top pistons in a few weeks too :)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

mmm update? yeh sounds good

i have the flat top pistons for the 4g32, no rings though..probably take the engine in in about a month to get built, not going to muck around with doing it myself. flat tops with #2 cam, twin downdraughts, 5 speed and stock diff. electronic dizzy, sigma radiator and electric fuel pump with blank off plate on head. a decent clutch (reccomendations??) with the flywheel machines down to give clutch more pressure (will this affect gearbox splines on the clutch disk? will also run electric fan and hopefully an aircon compressor hanging off the side.

body wise, i took off the rear doors, and have stripped them both completely, the rear LH has a massive ding in it and was bogged up, so have ripped out all the bog and primed it for now, will probably just paint this door in primer and swap it for one off my current car.

all of the rust has had sandblast and KBS paint treatment. good stuff i tell ya.

i have also bought all the steel to construct a rotissery. need to get my hands on an arc though because the oxy just doesnt cut it with thick stuff

i have had no time what so ever with work and charity stuff and all these meetings so im lucky to get one day a month in working on her :(

but never the less my motivation is still there and she will be completed sooner or later

anyway here are some pics of where im up to, will try get another day of work into her on saturday before night shift.

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Ok can't upload photos on my phone, see my facebook If u Wana see pics.

Car has no engine, no doors, no interior, no crossmember, no struts, no box, no wiring, and underside of bonnet will be done by end of next week paint wise. I need to know what I should do paint wise. I want to paint u see tho bonnet in engine enamel gloss of matt black. This way I can wash all the dirt and grease away with super harsh chemicals and it's not going to come off. And you also can't see the oil and grease. What are your thoughts on this?

And I need to know if I should go rebuilt oil struts or drop in some cartridges and which ones if so. It's going to be a comfy reliable cruiser that isn't too firm, just a comfy creasy ride for long distant driving. What should I do. Do I need to change springs? I don't want a lower ride, just a comfy one.

Engine will be twin down fed with number 5 original cam and oversize 1 size valves, double valve springs, brand new head and ported. Flat top .5 os pistons and all standard lower end. Have slowly collected all this stuff over the past 12 months. All of which will be of course rebuilt by someone.

5 speed gap box with rebuild diff center and new diff bearings, new drums, new shoes, and all new brake lines done professionally. Front end have compound pads and slotted rotors coming soon.

As for interior. New carpet will be in, everything else is going to be factory. Even c pilar covera in tact thanks to the louvers. Just getting new rubbers.

It is my goal to complete most of it before end of feburary. Work is quieted down so Im gonna knuckle down n do it!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:And I need to know if I should go rebuilt oil struts or drop in some cartridges and which ones if so. It's going to be a comfy reliable cruiser that isn't too firm, just a comfy creasy ride for long distant driving. What should I do. Do I need to change springs? I don't want a lower ride, just a comfy one.
I have heard other members say that the wet legs are something you should keep? They would be tunable with different grade oils, but I wouldn't have a clue about what grades are suitable?
I have Monroe gas shocks all around on my wagon (it already had inserts in it when I bought it, so I didn't have the option). It's standard ride height (with standard 36 year spring sag), I would say it rides comfortably. BTW, I'm not a fan of Monroes :think:
shuggy wrote:Engine will be twin down fed with number 5 original cam and oversize 1 size valves, double valve springs, brand new head and ported. Flat top .5 os pistons and all standard lower end.
My twins/No.5 combo don't work very well together (performance wise). But it hasn't been dyno tuned either, so there's no surprise there. The factory GS Galants cam with the twin carbs and a No.2 cam and distributor mods.
Although, it does sound cool, it uses a lot of petrol to get anywhere.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

At tis stage I think gas will win because I think will be cheaper? Depends hey. I'd get all 4 rebuilt if I did it.

Rear springs will be reset too if I get a chance.

Yea I'm up in the air with carb/cam combo at the moment, hardest part will be air cleaner box hey. Probably just inspection with single n go from there.

Need more feedback Plz!

Thanks for the input dave
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:Yea I'm up in the air with carb/cam combo at the moment, hardest part will be air cleaner box hey. Probably just inspection with single n go from there.
I don't have the original and I would rather have a tidy non genuine air cleaner then a home made one. It depends on whether you could fabricate something tidy I suppose?
I didn't have any problems getting mine past inspection. I had the ramflo aircleaners on mine for the inspection. I had the hose from the front of the rocker cover hooked up to the front aircleaner, and the carbon canister hooked up to the rear. What I found after a while, was the fuel vapours from the carbon canister were disolving my aircleaner filter, so I replaced the filters and disconnected the carbon canister.
I don't think they look too bad either? The induction noise will be louder with ramflos then a conventional aircleaner set up, but with the twins on it sounds really cool when you open it up. The noise is my wagons trademark, it isn't fast but it's loud :thumpsup:
shuggy wrote:At tis stage I think gas will win because I think will be cheaper? Depends hey. I'd get all 4 rebuilt if I did it.
I don't think the rears are rebuildable (I certainly haven't seen any that are)?
shuggy wrote:I want to paint u see tho bonnet in engine enamel gloss of matt black. This way I can wash all the dirt and grease away with super harsh chemicals and it's not going to come off. And you also can't see the oil and grease. What are your thoughts on this?
I don't get what you mean on this?
When you say engine enamel do you mean 2 pak, or store bought engine enamel rattle cans? If it's the rattle cans I would not go there, not for body work anyway.
My engine bay and underside of my bonnet are painted in Acrylic Lacquer and degreaser doesn't hurt them.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Hey dave, late reply, havnt touched the computer in a while.

Spoke to a mate who built a kit cobra, he painted all suspension parts and engine crossmember in the solvent proof engine enamel, and now he sprays his bay with HD degreasers and it doesnt touch the paint. May not look amazing but sounds pretty permenent?

You will be happy to know this car is coming together, The car is currently in worst state than ever, but this is because i have removed the struts, diff, all suspension, and everything in between. The struts are now fitted with slotted STD size rotors, compound pads, rebuilt callipers, monroe GT gas's (they dont make sensatracks anynmore and its all i can afford), and new strut tops.

nolathane ALL ROUND - however i did have to cut down the bushes in the lower control arm kit, as they were too long, all good now. sway bar bushes, rear shackle bushes, but i cant fiind front eye rear spring bushes :\

New idler arm, tie rod ends, ball joints, and trying to find a drag link as we speak. - New brake master and rear wheel cylinders, rebuild booster, and some other fun stuff.

The engine - i have a new head with a stage 2 or 5 cam, cant decide which one to use, probably 2. double valve springs, new exhaust valves, cant find new intake yet.. SS 0.50 pistons, exeddy clutch, and the rest getting pro rebuilt in 8 weeks. Getting after market aircon which i got quoted 1200 for full install - need it for traveling around australia haha.

Thats it for now - sorry for the long period in between posts, i dont use my computer anymore (Blame the iPhone 4)
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

when i got nolathane bushes for the rear leaf spring i went to gibbos auto supplys on south street just after stock road on your right near a vet in myree. Just bring the stock rubber bush and they can messure it up and order the right nolathane part for you
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

I found an old catalogue and hav ordered it. Along with my drag link and sway bay mounts. :)
Going to take my master cyl and callipers to perth brakes tomoro to get done.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

great to see ur still going with this shuggy, how'd getting the webers off that lad go???

any response??
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Told me to call the post etc. I did and they have no record
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

aite well thats 2 scammers i might have to make public and post there info.

Tell him he has 2 weeks to have it sorted or his info goes public lol.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 29ef74e1d8

see here for recent pics

The diff has XL axles, took me a week to find bearings. Ended up using 3 different wheel bearing kits because i needed the bearings out of one, retainers out of another and seals out of another.. expensive!

new rotors are on, master cylinder purchased, all nolathane is purchased, rear wheel bearings pressed, gas shocks in, engine mounts on, and rear shocks ordered.

u think im moving to broome in 8 weeks, doesnt leave much time! may have to skip the paint job.. which sucks because i have green doors!
ddt

Post by ddt »

u think im moving to broome in 8 weeks, doesnt leave much time! may have to skip the paint job.. which sucks because i have green doors!
You moving to Broome indefinitely or just for short while? I wanted to see this thing after it was all painted up.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

I'm really unsure. It's a job, I say yes or no tomoro.

Engine bay is all cleaned up, it's spick, and all seams are drip chek sealed..

Paint the bay tomoro in primer ( over the old paint ) and then what do I do, matt black bay or original sundown yellow again? I'm thinking matt black. All imperfections will be filled and sanded prior..
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:Paint the bay tomoro in primer ( over the old paint ) and then what do I do, matt black bay or original sundown yellow again?
I would go body colour.
Because they came out of the factory that way.
And also I just think it looks more uniform with the rest of the car?

Dave...
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Yes i agree it looks better, but the bay is going to always get grubby, and I'm going to use anti rust body deadener on the rails and tunnel etc anyway. This was my reasoning anyway. At this point I really have no idea, has anyone done a black bay and have pics?
PROSSER

Post by PROSSER »

doesnt DanTurboLancer's lancer have a black engine bay now?
Samual
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

PROSSER wrote:doesnt DanTurboLancer's lancer have a black engine bay now?
Yeah he does, but that was because he needed to respray the bay, and the colour of his car he couldn't match, so black was the tidy, easy option. Or so I believe.

Dave...
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

From memory old kingswoods had black engine bays from factory. My hardtop your buying has been sprayed midnight black, that'll give you an idea what it'll look like
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

too late, its painted.

Make sure you look here for all current progressions!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid= ... 29ef74e1d8

the bay is now painted a greyish matt black, brake booster, master cylinder and brake lines are all cleaned up, painted and re installed. As i the adjusted steering box with new oil.

I have installed the engine crossmember and attached the LH strut assembly - which has freshly painted spring etc, a new strut mount and bump stop.

um, will pick up the drag link tomoro, and once steering is liked up i will get the front back on the ground so i can lift up the bum and fllush the tank and easily work on the rear suspension.

does anyone know how i can get shims fabricated for the diff ends? the bearing is 2mm wider and therefor need shims to seal the wheel bearings..

check out the pics here

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Ok. Picked up 5 sp mount today along with the last set of nolathane front eye bushes inexistance.

Front struts are both in along with sway bar and all new bushes. Engine crossmember in and control arms attached. Rear springs have been removed and had the centre tension bolt replaced and cleaned up and painted.

Still waIting on centre rod for steering :/ need it in the ground before I go!

Have sanded all body work on lh side down but then it rained, so have to wait.

Rear wheel arches scrubbed and Will paint with rust paint and body deadener soon. Then tank come put before installing rear springs and diff so I can move the thing before I leave home.

Pick up tang's hardtop in next week or so, and then I leave perth in 3! So I'm leaving 2 coupes and 2 sedans incomplete for 6 mOnths :(

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Just a small update, the diff is complete, axles in with new cylinders and shoes. All new seals etc.

Springs have been painted, all bolts and brackets etc have been painted in kyb paint, then in black.

Front end is complete steering wise. The front calipers still need to be rebuilt, but the car steers and will have the hand brake on in a couple of days.

Took the fuel tank out today and will get a por15 fuel tank kit for it tomoro, in the meantime injave scrubbed it back to the rust proofing chip resistant paint they use in the 70's, I'm
Going to paint the outside just in that same sticky black chassis paint as well as get under the car and scrub the other half of the body and do the same after a good coat if kyb. I have 4L I may as well!

Going to install a fuel tank return line to the blocked off inlet on the tank also for when I fit the twin carbs, is this neccesary tho??

And once thats done, car wil be put on the ground and rolled
into storage untill I get back in November!

Cheers guys.

Click Facebook link below for pics