EOI: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack. WA

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: 1976 GD Galant A57 Sports Pack

Post by EVL076 »

so thats a factory tape deck?

mines getting a ground up resto
the motor is coming out and going in a Triton :P :P
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

well i ripped out the seats today, and its hard to tell.. the wires are layed right, but the antenna looks chopped and split, hard to explain but yea.

i destroyed the steering wheel gettin it off too :(

i guess i will find out about the deck when i pull out the dash hey.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry Shuggy but I don't think it is factory or dealer fitted but aftermarket sometime in the late 70's early 80's.
My main reason for thinking this is that it has a FM band. FM radio was available in very limited areas from 1947 until it was scapped in 1961 because it wasn't popular. It was tried again in 1976 and wasn't popular until the early 80's
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

ahk.. i will have a look. its built in 12/76 so maybe.. just the antenna wiring did it for me, il tak ea pic and show what i mean
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

shuggy wrote:i destroyed the steering wheel gettin it off too :(

yeah i fucked mine getting it off too
ah well, we live, we learn..

mine will be getting pulled apart very soon
ground up 5 year build
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

oh really? sounds awesome mate. i get my oxy setup in a couple of days, should be fun!

the radio isnt stock, just had a close look its been cut to fit.

oh well i have an original to go in :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thats a bummer Shugs, would have been cool if it was though. Glad you have a stock one, I was gunna offer you mine. I have changed my dash to a black stock one with no radio so I have a wood grain one with radio if you are interested :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

cheers mate will let you know if mine doesnt work :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

anyone know where i can get a new heater tap?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I haven't done it to the one in the wagon yet, but I pull them apart, clean and then lube them with marine grease.
Then they work as good as new.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

cheers

rekon they are the same as the lancer one? i pulled out the lancer one to have a look at
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:rekon they are the same as the lancer one? i pulled out the lancer one to have a look at
I don't know about the Lancer sedans, but they are definately different to the hatchback ones.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ozgdgalants

Post by ozgdgalants »

Hi Shuggy Nice car wow your a fast worker?
I just want to let you no about the radio?
When i was 18 in 1981 my first new car was a 1981 GH SE SIGMA Blue metalic paint it came out factory with a AM radio & under it in the consul a AWA calarion tape deck with two front door speakers only?
I think by the middle to the end of 1981 the GHs came out with AM/FM cassette radio all in one with only front door speakers or rear deck speakers. only as a factory option? & this was 1981.

Every Galant iv'e seen factory has had only the Chrysler am standard radio with the single front speaker?

I think Harold has dropped a little fib about the factory cassette am/fm i was offered your car about two years or more ago he wanted a fortune for it? i think he though it was a baby E38 charger but every time i seen the car he had let it go down hill a bit more rust & dents but wanted more $$$ for it.

But im glad you have it & she gone to a galant lover keep up the good work on her the A57 are a rare car in GL form.

But your is a XL rare rare car with no carpet on the bottom of the doors also no side moulds & wheel arch moulds the only other XL sports pack ive seen is EVL 076 a white one in TAS the yellow one Karl in Vic has is a GL its funny it was from NSW originaly there are not that many sports packs around anymore?.

you have a photo of my car JFH-864? If your car was mine i would keep it stock as a rock except maybe a little inside motor work & 5speed box that way it would not cost you a fortune? & it would still look smick.

Any have fun Don't give up on her she will reward you in the end thats all you have think see ya ozgdgalants wayne.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

thats your car? its mint!!

yeh im not fussed about the whole radio thing i really dont care haha.

and i know i paid a hell of a lot for the car, but its mine now, and its going to be the car i want it to be so thats priceless in the end :thumpsup:

i have a 5 speed now, and a few good 4g32's siiting around, 2 good runners, a good bottom end and 3 stuffed heads, so pretty sure im sticking 4g32, just going to get one rebuild with some mild work done like porting, maybe bigger valves for the #5 cam to work better with, twin down solex's for now, OEM flat top pistons, 4 2 1 extractors and god knows what else.

interior/exterior is staying stock standard! however i have been offered a mint full white interior that i may consider. if not then its going into my Coupe because im not havin rear seats in that.

the car is missing front LH chrome mud guard thingy, was in minor prang and had come off.. will have to try and find a place to make one..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

:lol: i was wondering why there was a heavy vibration coming from the fan when i turned it on.. pulled the whole dash off today so decided to see if the bearing was effed.. nope, there was a very dead very old mouse in the fan. must have thought it was a cool running wheel, then SPLAT
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

grose lol
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i was watching the paul hogan show the other night and seen a gd galant wiv the same paint and all as yores and nsw plates! it was filmed a long time ago but cood hav been yores? lol . did anyone else see this? its the first time i hav seen a galant in the background of a old show... :P
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

colta51 wrote:i was watching the paul hogan show the other night and seen a gd galant wiv the same paint and all as yores and nsw plates! it was filmed a long time ago but cood hav been yores? lol . did anyone else see this? its the first time i hav seen a galant in the background of a old show... :P
Was it last night's ep? I recorded it. I'll keep an eye on it and take a screencap of it.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

what was the plate number? coz my plates are original
colta51

Post by colta51 »

not last night the first night it was on!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate nice car :thumpsup: i think im starting to really like the Galants now aswell
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

some new pics of last few days work.. heading out to buy some sheet metal tomoro.. what metal should i get for door skin work, door arch work, chassis rail work and other bits? just like .8 and 1.0mm mild steel??

anyway pics..

Imagen.jpg[/img]
Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Good looking car there shuggy...

Drool

Dont worry too much about this bonnet. I have fixed worse. The most difficult thing will be getting the chrome strip off the front without damaging the bottom of the bonnet. You should be able to cut and shut easily this rust damage, plus the top skin seems to still be ok. Unpick the front of teh skin gently and then cut and shut the support, should be able to make a new piece.

When talking metal you will need to measure as each car is difference (manufacture not model/make) previously I have purchased sigma bonnets wo cut metal from as they are usually about the right thickness for most panel work on the galant and reasonably flat.

When doing the door skins mark a template from the rust areas and cut them in a circle action not a square or straight, this will give a better result with less filler if you are good. To remove part of teh door skin (ie to make a new piece) cut the skin first then use a grined on the edge of teh skin to remove the pice for replacement, this will leave the backing of teh skin which you then can pick off. This method does less damage to the door frame. Remember when making your ne skin that you need the extra to wrap around the door to seal it and weld the corner etc of teh skin back on. Pics will be easier to describe this with, will try and find some.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i have a spare bonnet off my first GC, i knew it would comein handy :thumpsup:

but its quite warped so i will either get it panel beaten professionally, or cut off the front lip and weld it on this one.. unsure as of yet.

i got the chrome off but the whole front lip just disintergrated so yeah. i have a couple of chrome lips so thats fine.

with the door i have a coupe door here i am going to practice on, and i have some .7 steel that i cut out of the boot sumps of a GC i had a while ago, might try with that. might just go down to the sims and ask for a bonnet ahha

cheeers for the advice and i look forward to seeing those plans for the rotiserie :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice work shugs, looking sweet mate.

THE :banh: not teh :banh: Come on people, we were all taught in the same system
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

cheers mate.

haha i think he just hit teh keys in the wrong order :thumpsup:

my welder better arrive tomoro or heads will roll...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah I know, just poking fun is all :thumpsup:
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Nice work shugs, looking sweet mate.

THE :banh: not teh :banh: Come on people, we were all taught in the same system
When dialed in at work via a citrix connection through 5 routers things tend to get slow. I might type them in the right order but at the other end they dont get there correctly. Dont ask me I am in IT and it makes no sense to me.... :\ You will know when I am at home. Things look a little better. like this post... hehehe...

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

haha must be a bit of noise in the line..

started welding the chassis rails today. off to work now so will complete it tomorrow. also treated and kahfiller'ed the real lh panel and will be ready to sand back and etch tomorrow :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

hahaha my first welding effort since year 11!

did some grinding and painting and more welding after this, will get pic tomoro.

from this

to this

Last edited by shuggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.