Skidmarks progect GN

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Skidmark

Skidmarks progect GN

Post by Skidmark »

Heres my new GN. I spotted it in a local backyard last year, it took an age to get hold of the owner but finally its now in my Garage. One owner and only 98,000 kls, garaged for the first 20 odd years but unfortunately outside in the weather for the last 3-4 years. I Haven't yet managed to get it to run, all I'm getting is a click from the starter, but I'll keep trying.

My plans are to strip it down and do any rust repairs (its not too bad but there is rust) while I keep the other on the road until it runs out of rego, its body is shagged so Im stoked to get this G-spec that I think will clean up nicely with a new bonnet and boot and a lick of paint then all the good bits off the old and on to the new!

Skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
75wagon
Admin

Re: Skidmarks progect GN

Post by 75wagon »

That's awesome Dan...
How could it get anymore perfect then that?
One to work on, one to drive... then just change over, sweet as.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

looks good mate cant wait to see what you do with it
ive gotten that click before for me its either been the starter motor is jammed or the battery dosent have enough power to turn it over
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

75wagon wrote:That's awesome Dan...

Dave...
Yeah Im heaps happy, its exactly the set up I was after, and the car was no more than 800m from my door step, its as if the owner ,now deceased (thats why it was kind of hard to track him down) is wathching over it and decided I could have it.
TUFSIG wrote:looks good mate cant wait to see what you do with it
ive gotten that click before for me its either been the starter motor is jammed or the battery dosent have enough power to turn it over
Thanks TUFSIG, The battery was good so Im hoping your right about the starter moor,Ill pull it this weekend and let loose with the WD40
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Skidmark wrote:
TUFSIG wrote: wrote:
looks good mate cant wait to see what you do with it

Thanks TUFSIG, The battery was good so Im hoping your right about the starter moor,Ill pull it this weekend and let loose with the WD40
Sometimes it is as simple as the brushes in the starter being too worn to make proper contact with the commutator (the pig tail wires in the back hold them back so they can't touch it properly), that's why sometimes a sharp hit with a wheelbrace or small hammer makes the starter work. It dislodges the brushes so they can contact the comm. It's worth a try anyway...
Skidmark wrote:
75wagon wrote: wrote:
That's awesome Dan...

Dave...

Yeah Im heaps happy, its exactly the set up I was after, and the car was no more than 800m from my door step, its as if the owner ,now deceased (thats why it was kind of hard to track him down) is watching over it and decided I could have it.
That sounds like a car you are going to respect. I already see this car is going to be an awesome project. If you need a hand getting it going, I'm only a txt away....

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Thanks Dave, I did try giving it a bit of a smack with a hammer while the missus turned the key, but the kids where causing chaos and I couldnt see what I was hitting, the whole scene got a bit ugly and I was probebly belting the block, but Ill definetly give it another go. Thanks again mate.
Skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah man good old hammer on the starter motor lol
ive had to do that my fair share of times lol
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

If it's auto, which I see in the pics it is, it could be the inhibitor switch. I'm not sure about Sigma's, but on late model Valiant's that was a bad problem. It should be located on the shifter under the console, but I've never pulled a Sigma apart...

Dave...
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah sorry i cant help you out on that front all my sigmas have been manual :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

haha Dan you originally Brought a Sigma as a cheap family car to get around in for alittle while.
Great to see its become a Passionate Build car :D

Good find by the way!

I think if the Auto slector Inhibitor switch is the Prob, they usually dont click as it stops all power going to the Actuator dont they??

Double check the battery terminals have Good contact on the terminals, Give em a good wiggle. Ive had heaps that i thought were making good contact, but the Bolt was tightened all the way up, and still not good enough.

And then Check your main Power cable from batt positive to Starter isnt loose or a build up of crap.

And then yeah pull the starter out

So big plans for the old girl?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

DanTurboLancer wrote:haha Dan you originally Brought a Sigma as a cheap family car to get around in for alittle while.
Great to see its become a Passionate Build car
Good find by the way!
I think if the Auto slector Inhibitor switch is the Prob, they usually dont click as it stops all power going to the Actuator dont they??
Double check the battery terminals have Good contact on the terminals, Give em a good wiggle. Ive had heaps that i thought were making good contact, but the Bolt was tightened all the way up, and still not good enough.
And then Check your main Power cable from batt positive to Starter isnt loose or a build up of crap.
And then yeah pull the starter out
So big plans for the old girl?
Gday there Dan, thanks for your interest. You are so right, Im not sure when it happened but Im now a dirty, greasy garage dweller again and Im thoroughly enjoying it.
I do have big plans, or high hopes for a nice resto job, something a little bit special, well to me anyway.
As for the starting probs, the guy let me hang out in his driveway for the afternoon (Austalia day, the wife wasnt too happy) and I went through most of the basics you mentioned. I was really hoping the old girl would turn over. As you can see from the pics, there was no way it was going to turn over. Oh well, it just means Ill pull the donk right out and spray the engine bay now, rather than later, its probably not a bad thing.

85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Just as a quick note, if your steering is a bit sloppy, now is the time to give the steering box a bit of a tighten.

It's a hell of a lot easier to do it with the exhaust pipes out of the way.

Cheers.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Superscan811 wrote:Just as a quick note, if your steering is a bit sloppy, now is the time to give the steering box a bit of a tighten.

It's a hell of a lot easier to do it with the exhaust pipes out of the way.

Cheers.
Cheers dude, but ive just been out the garage staring at the engine bay for the last hour. Im now convinced I should completly strip the engine bay with sand blasting in mind,then Ill clean,polish ,reco everything when it goes back in including the box.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Full resto here you come :thumpsup:

Are you going to rebuild that motor?
or buy another 2.6 to rebuild?

Dave 75Wagon knows about a 2.6 with 5 Speed...

But will mean Tail shaft mods, engine number changes etc.
Centre consol wont match up (if you are going for the Stock look)

After what you have done with the Green machine, and still had to drive it around,
i cant wait to see what you do with a project that can sit and be done up!
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Full resto here you come :thumpsup:

Are you going to rebuild that motor?
or buy another 2.6 to rebuild?

Dave 75Wagon knows about a 2.6 with 5 Speed...

But will mean Tail shaft mods, engine number changes etc.
Centre consol wont match up (if you are going for the Stock look)

After what you have done with the Green machine, and still had to drive it around,
i cant wait to see what you do with a project that can sit and be done up!
Yeah full resto sounds good, but I will try to be smart about it and not waste too much time on things that dont matter so its not in the shed forever. As for the donk, I do have the 2.6 /Jap 5 speed in the green one I could use, but I do like the idea of keeping the original block (it may be too pitted to save) and putting a strong auto behind it, but I have to do my reaserch and have a good think about things.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I also know of an early magna EFI complete for $50... Or so I'm told...

Dave...
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

75wagon wrote:I also know of an early magna EFI complete for $50... Or so I'm told...

Dave...
I will take it , if what you re told is correct, I am interested in the other Engine and gearbox too,especially if its a Jap box.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
Undies91

Post by Undies91 »

Hey just readin this thread awsome buy :thumpsup: :thumpsup:

can't wait to see how things turn out for this car.
should be a good read/build. all the best.

Cheers Undies91
Own A GN Sigma
rebuild on the way!!!
oh and fuel injected turbo
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How are you progressing with this?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Undies91 wrote:Hey just readin this thread awsome buy
can't wait to see how things turn out for this car.
should be a good read/build. all the best.
Cheers dude.
75wagon wrote:How are you progressing with this?
Funny you should ask, Ive been meaning to post something up, but progress is a bit slow. There has been progress though.Its now 90% stripped ,with all the parts jammed into the garage.Ive started the rust repairs incuding organising a welder mate with a mig to do the welding.The rust is a little worse then I was hoping for but still not too bad,fairly easy repairs.Its good example of where to look for rust to anyone new to siggys as its all in the typical spots,including the bottem corners of the rear window in the boot (not pictured).Another typical spot are the pilliars of course but I suspect mine have been repaired before.

THE FOLLOWING PICS ARE DISTURBING AND MAY OFFEND SOME S.G MEMBERS.........

Under the front gaurd R/H ,there is about 4 layers of metal in there that ive had to remove
L/H,dosnt look to bad but im going to open it up like the other side and have a look,

Under the boot rubber

and under the front gaurd again in the sills
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .