The GK Turbo....

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
GB_BB4C

Re: The GK Turbo....

Post by GB_BB4C »

The black one is 84GSR.
Cheers for the pix.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

81GH

Post by 81GH »

oh ok kewl.
no probs man.
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

nice tidy gsr man with the cooler work done like that i like it! (H)
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

TR11KY wrote:nice tidy gsr man with the cooler work done like that i like it! (H)
Cheers, the car does scrub up ok, but it is also pretty trashed at the same time. It's only an outside paint job, it pretty dirty under the bonnet, will be recieving replacment front and rear bumpers, different bonnet (still under construction), both guards replaced, boot lid with spoiler, rust in doors will be removed and the list goes on..... Hope to have most done for a car show in Feb 2011.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Few more pix i got

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Well i have one more car show to do (Old Skool New Age - April 2nd - SMASA Display) and then the siggy gets pulled apart for some repair's. While it is apart the dent's and rust will be fixed along with a few panels being replaced in the process. The engine bay will be getting most of the attention though as the motor is coming out. The reason the motor is coming out is the bottom end needs a freshen up, Intercooler piping will be redone, oil filter relocation kit installed, remote filler for power steering, SR20 S13 radiator will be installed and a few other thing's.

Here is a pic of the car with the new mag's that i got for her as part of the make-over. They are 15x7 +8 Performance Challenger's. Compared to a Pepperpot rim the outer edge sit's one inch further out.

TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

NICE FEGGIN WHEELS!
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Photo of it at Old Skool New Age, next to my 91 GTO

Now the show is over it's time to think about the re-build. Already know what is happening to the motor and interior. It's the bodywork that im thinking about, more importantly the choice of colour. Yeah, Silver is good and all, dont really have a problem with it and will re-do it that colour, was thinking of possibly doing a Black bottom like the Turbo's have though and painting the intercooler at the same time. If not was thinking of changing the colour completely... But to what?? Dont want a Black car either. The choice also had to go with the Black/Red of the interior. Open to suggestion's.

so... option's
1. Re-do it in the same Silver.
2. Silver with Black bottom.
3. Completely different colour.

A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the blue Evo's look very nice with the red interior, so maybe going blue over black turbo style is an option.
White lower with red top in the Super Saloon style paint would look pretty cool too, IMHO
I will try to make a pic, lol

EDIT; If you saw my attempt to colour an existing pic you would understand why I am not painting my own car :lol:
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

vr4retrofit wrote:Keep it silver mate :thumpsup:

Honestly its a beautiful car and a fresh coat of the original paint will do wonders. Also will be cheaper cause you can do a closed door respray.

2 tone wont really work on that shape I dont think. I saw a 2 tone blue/black GJ once and it didnt look right. Looked like it was pretending to be something it wasnt. Looked like it was trying to hide something like rust in the bottom half.

My 2 cents.
None of the door jam's and under bonnet is done and i am alsoo starting with another body (probably should have mentioned that earlier) hence why the re-spray and possible change of colour.
Dont get me wrong, i do like the Silver, was just thinking while im at it there may have been a better colour to choose.

I know what ya saying about the wannabe turbo look on the GJ onward's body's and it not looking quite right.
Galant_GT0 wrote:I think the blue Evo's look very nice with the red interior, so maybe going blue over black turbo style is an option.
White lower with red top in the Super Saloon style paint would look pretty cool too, IMHO
I will try to make a pic, lol

EDIT; If you saw my attempt to colour an existing pic you would understand why I am not painting my own car :lol:
Blue was suggested by a mate of mine aswell. just gotta look at the right shade of blue. Was contemplating the super saloon look.... but what colours to choose.

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Found out my deadline... hope i make it. Friday the 4th of November....

Well, been sourcing a few bit's for the car and writing list's of what i hope to do on the car. Think i have a colour scheme worked out for the car, but keeping it under wrap's at the moment.
Have bought Billsy's GK off of him and am starting from scratch with that shell. It's a bit straighter, less rust and less holes cut into it.

Car hoist should be up and running by friday i hope, then let the fun begin.

Some of the thing's on the list at the moment... and growing (some are just idea's aswell)
engine/engine bay:
de-comp (piston change, nothing drastic, just a slight de-comp not looking at running 24psi, still want only around 12psi)
hone, ring's, bearing's, seal's, head face, bigger valve's??, turbo grind cam - crow cam-simular to the one i had in the wherrett (107701) but for a turbo, adjustable cam gear, solid rocker's, re-con oil pump/fit magna pump, new computer - microtech lt10s and 4coil addition, 4 coil's, rotate turbo inlet housing, new intercooling pipe work - stainless steel painted over (not into the whole shiney bling shit in the enginebay), BOV?? (to install or not to install), air filter box, heat shield, rising rate fuel pressure reg, cruise control, TR/S inlet manifold??, remote power steer resiviour, oil filter relocation kit.

Exterior/Body:
paint (colour choice??), front spoiler, rear spoiler, sideskirts, bonnet scoop (think i have someone to do this for me now, seen what he did on a mate's car made from scratch all out of metal), mudflap's?? (possible option depending on how i tie in the sideskirt), blacked out light's (verada style), SE fender indicator's, gutter, door and window trim's (black or chrome/stainless), re-paint door handle's, manual trans tunnel, electric mirror's, sound deadner on underbody, paint fuel tank diff x-member strut's..wheel arches..,

Interior:
door trim's (depend's on what happen's body colour wise), new carpet (manual body), foot rest, front and rear speaker's, boot?? (keep it simple - maybe just panel's on the side's to neaten it a bit), alarm, sterio

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Pretty much narrowed it down to two colours. Silver or Blue. Just have to make a decision closer to the time of painting. I have a set out plan for the car and what i want to achieve. I know the deadline will sneak up on me in no time. Majority of the stuff is unbolt from one car and bolt into the other, so pretty straight froward, giving it a flick of paint and clean on the transfer over. Just the body work and engine stuff that will take the most time.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

GB_BB4C wrote:Pretty much narrowed it down to two colours. Silver or Blue.
Why not do both? Blue over Silver looks awesome.

As an example:

That is stock silver with the top being 'midnight blue'.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Was thinking about doing it simular to the Super Saloon two tone thing but would rather have one colour.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

GB_BB4C wrote:Was thinking about doing it simular to the Super Saloon two tone thing but would rather have one colour.
If it was me, I'd do 2 tone blue, similar to the blue Super Saloons. Probably darker blues though.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

thats a cool sig bro..love they dash in it..digital magna??
:thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

ISKA8 wrote:thats a cool sig bro..love they dash in it..digital magna??
Yep, TN/P Magna digital dash with a Jaycar speedo corrector kit, that way i can change ratio's and tire sizes and just quickly adjust it to read the right speed. Wasn't that hard to put in either.

13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

speedo corrector kit?? i got fined on my rive to QLD a few months ago as i was speeding.. hed it tested and the speedo was out by 15kms at 110kph.. so about 14 or 13% out.. could this help me with my problem?? how much are they and how do they work?? will they only work on a digital speedo? mine is a 5 speed jap box and a standard GE sigma dash...
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

GB_BB4C wrote:Yep, TN/P Magna digital dash with a Jaycar speedo corrector kit, that way i can change ratio's and tire sizes and just quickly adjust it to read the right speed. Wasn't that hard to put in either.
it really looks good..also i wanted to ask you,were abouts or what car did you get the steering wheel from.ive got the same one but no turbo badge on it,that looks amsome and a good final touch.. :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

ISKA8 wrote:
GB_BB4C wrote:Yep, TN/P Magna digital dash with a Jaycar speedo corrector kit, that way i can change ratio's and tire sizes and just quickly adjust it to read the right speed. Wasn't that hard to put in either.
it really looks good..also i wanted to ask you,were abouts or what car did you get the steering wheel from.ive got the same one but no turbo badge on it,that looks amsome and a good final touch.. :thumpsup:
im pretty sure thats a wheel off an import sigma but i cant be totlally sure

love the car man you have done well
and the GTO too is yours twin turbo ? you should joint the 3000gt site if you havnet already
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

ISKA8 wrote:
that plastic center piece is from a Starion turbo steering wheel, Ive got one on my standard GSR steering wheel also...
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I assume the silver you are suggesting is the original silver?
I've always liked the idea of a charcoal grey Sigma myself. My thoughts are, if you're going to respray a car you might as well paint it a non genuine colour, so everyone knows that you've gone to the effort. The problem then is, what colour, and then will it suit?
For my wagon I looked at what I wasn't going to change and then picked a colour around that. EG: Galants have brown carpet, and mine has he beige/cream interior so I had to have something that went with it. So black, grey and silver were out.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

TUFSIG wrote:
ISKA8 wrote:
im pretty sure thats a wheel off an import sigma but i cant be totlally sure

love the car man you have done well
and the GTO too is yours twin turbo ? you should joint the 3000gt site if you havnet already
The wheel is a standard black GSR one with the plastic bit on the horn button changed to one i found on a AC Cordia Turbo at the wreckers.
The GTO is non-turbo. Havnt joined the 3000GT site as the car is up for sale due to i have found something of more interest to me. Dont really wanna get rid of the GTO, but has to go to get the other thing.
75wagon wrote:
I assume the silver you are suggesting is the original silver?
I've always liked the idea of a charcoal grey Sigma myself. My thoughts are, if you're going to respray a car you might as well paint it a non genuine colour, so everyone knows that you've gone to the effort. The problem then is, what colour, and then will it suit?
For my wagon I looked at what I wasn't going to change and then picked a colour around that. EG: Galants have brown carpet, and mine has he beige/cream interior so I had to have something that went with it. So black, grey and silver were out.

Dave...
The current body is only sprayed on the outside, none of the door jams or under bonnet are done. The car was origionallly a factory silver Sigma. It has been sprayed in Mitsubishi 380 Platinum Silver.
Majority of the interior is Black... easy to go with almost any colour, but the Red on the TME seats is where i run into the problem.
The new shell is currently cream, so will be fully re-sprayed. I looked at whet colours the TME Evo was available in. Black, White and Red were not colours i wanted the car in anyway so that left me with Silver and Blue. Im thinking of going more with Blue... just have to find the right shade to go with the body shape.

Billsy

Post by Billsy »

but i loved that cream color :P
added to the WTF when you blow peoples doors off and they pull up at the lights and look across. ahh the memories in that thing.

i think a dark charcoal with silver or black wheels would look mad
Insert witty one liner here -->
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Just wouldnt be the same though. Cream with Black and Red interior and i think the front mount might give it away a bit, even if the car was Cream.
Gotta love it though when something rocks up that looks like a bucket of shit or completley stock and just annihilates the car that has clearly had loads of money spent on it.

Im sticking with the Performance Challenger's as the rim's for the car. Machined/Black is what they call the ones i have.

84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

thoes rims suit the car pretty well i had a bit of a play in photochopshop with the GK se look using a gunmental grey and your silver seem to go really well together splitting it just above the wheel arches like on Cottees LC when you have a chance have a bit of a play with that concept and see what you think

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Well... over a week it went from being a complete car to a bare shell. interior, drive line, wireing etc... all removed. The hoist that i recently insatlled made life so much easier to remove stuff for the vehicle.
My mate Ben having fun taking things apart.
Drive line removed.
Windows and interior removed.
Damage on the front passanger corner, should be able to straighten it out.
Surface rust in the drivers door jam.
Rust holes at the bottom of the rear window. The only thing holding the rear window in was the metal trim, the glue/seal wasnt stuck to the metal anymore.

Billsy

Post by Billsy »

man, for a car with basically NO visible rust anywhere, that rear window surprises me a little...
Insert witty one liner here -->
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

To only have that rust in it is awsome. Wasnt expecting the rear window stuff myself, but ya get that when ya strip a car and find all the nasties. If the glue was still holding the rear window inplace there probably wouldnt have been rust there.
Brake lines and wiring loom to remove then goes on a frame to be wheeled outside and high pressure hosed to clean off all the dirt etc... then the body work begin's.

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Well, quick update on the progress of this.
Have replaced the front radiator support panel with one off of another car. tried to straighten the one on the car but had stretched the metal too far. Also replaced the rear parcel shelf with one from another car to get rid of the rust.

Long story short, the car will in no way possible make it's deadline for Extreme (Horsepower) Auto Show in Nov, The Silver car will be attending again in the SMASA display. This is not due to a lack of trying but more of a serious decision to build it the way i want and also due to some of the parts that i have sourced/bought for the car.

The damage
The damage removed
The half-cut
The replacmant panel

The rust
No parcel shelf
New/replacement
The car i hacked into at U-Pull-It