The GK Turbo....

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
GB_BB4C

The GK Turbo....

Post by GB_BB4C »

Thought id finally start to share what i have done to my GK Turbo.....

Brief discription of how i came across the car,
I bought it about 3yrs ago while i was on my L's. I had heard and seen pix of it from a mate who worked at Mitsi's who worked with the guy who built it. One day while at a car show (Small Car Sunday) i saw it was up for sale. Long story short i ended up with it.
Having a few mates who were into modding cars we decided to go to a track practice session out at Mallala Raceway to see how they went. Having gone along the back-straight with the speedo needle past the 200km mark it was time to slow down for the hairpin quickly coming up..... Foot firmly on the brakes and not much happening. Oh S**t, WTF,(heart racing, thought i was going to write it off) luckily the kitty litter pulled me up with not too much trouble, continued through it so as to not having to get pulled out by the officials, got back on the track and continued having fun. The next few times around the track not going so spastic into the hairpin making sure it was going to pull up.
Session over, come in and go over the car, all seem's fine. Wait for the next session to rock around. Go out again and after a few laps start getting a bit heavy footed again, come up to a corner.... same thing, no brakes. Thinking to myself WTF is going on?? Got to a point that if i went over a certain speed the breaks would fail. Continued the event remembering that i just couldn't go flat out on the straights.
Drove it around for a few more months while on my L's just occasionally on weekends and cruises. Got my P's and decided im not getting it defected so pulled it off the road. Its been off the road for about 2yrs now and a few thing have changed since i bought it.

When i got it....
1984 GK SE, Mitsubishi 380 Platinum Silver, Microtech
2.6Lt EFI-Turbo, TP Magna Manifold, RX7 Injectors,
Custom Tubo Manifold, Equivilent of a VG30 Turbo,
Sigma 5spd, 300x600 Intercooler, GSR Tinted Rear Lights,
Tinted Windows, Pepperpot's, Nissan 720 Diff,
Sigma Front Scorpion Rear Brakes, Lowered,
TME Evo 6.5 Front and Rear Seats,
Bit under 200 at the wheels on 12psi

What ive done to it....
Full 3inch Mandrel Bent Exhaust System from AAA Exhaust's (from Turbo back)
Replaced rear light's with standard GSR one's
Scorpion diff...(nissan diff need's leaks fixed)
Black interior (door trim's, dash, console, etc)
GSR front lip spoiler and rear boot spoiler (need's painting)
Blacked out inside of headlight's
Relocated surgetank and fuel pump's
Redone front bumper

Thing's still to be done....
Starion front and rear brake's
Starion 5spd and Hydraulic clutch setup (currently installing the clutch pedal)
Custom bonnet (will post detail's once finished)
Relocated oil filter
Install alloy radiator (s13 sr20)
Magna digital dash cluster
Sideskirt's
Tidy wiring and enginebay
GSR grill
Put it all back together
Polish the Pepperpot's
probably alot more that i cant think of at the moment.

Here's a list of places i used:

Fours N More Automotive Repairs, Langford Ave, Pooraka, 8260 2011
G-Tek Automotive Repairs, Donegal Rd, Lonsdale, 8326 1711
Car Parts Plus, O'Sullivan Beach Rd, Lonsdale, 8326 0377
All Clutch & Brake Service Pty Ltd, Pinn St, 8277 8122
U-Pull-It, Elizabeth and Lonsdale, 8255 7700
AAA Exhaust, Deacon Ave, Richmond, 8352 7444
Bridgestone, Marion, 8296 9655
Pedders, Bains Rd, Morphett Vale, 8326 4211
Motormate, South Rd, St Mary's, 8374 1500
Last edited by GB_BB4C on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

webby

Re: The GK Turbo....

Post by webby »

Looks good mate :thumpsup:
Did you ever figure out what was up with the brakes?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

No, i never did. A few people said that boost was getting into the booster and that was why the pedal came up hard asif the brakes were on. Don't really know, will have to wait till the car's back on the road and i take it up to Mallala again as the brake system will have changed to Starion stuff.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Here's a couple more pix.
The engine bay
The difference between a blacked out headlight and a standard one
The changed front end, blacked out headlight's, GSR grill, GSR lip and newly cutout bumper
How the black interior looks
Installing the hydraulic clutch pedal and master cylinder
Last edited by GB_BB4C on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hi there mate,im new to this website and i came across ur post..i have a gk gsr sigma and im in the process of putting a turbo setup,but im running into some pronlems..i bought a injected motor out of a magna but im having trouble with the manifold,especially the thermostat housing??how did you overcome that hurdle?cheers
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

The thermostat is still at the back near the firewall. I used a WO22 thermostat housing and the stainless pipe from a VN Commy and joined it together using a few different rubber hoses.
This is it in the GK Turbo
And one of my other motor's that's non-turbo

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

You are the only one to ever submit 1/4 scale pics of their car.

I think I need a bigger monitor :think:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sigmaproject wrote:You are the only one to ever submit 1/4 scale pics of their car.

I've got a 24 inch and I'm still having problems.....
Those pics are huge...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

75wagon wrote:
Sigmaproject wrote:You are the only one to ever submit 1/4 scale pics of their car.

I've got a 24 inch and I'm still having problems.....
Those pics are huge...
Changed the pix, sorry guy's.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

GB_BB4C wrote:Changed the pix, sorry guy's.
All good mate :thumpsup:
And I've just noticed...
These are the first later model sigma door trims I've seen that aren't wrinkled... I didn't think there were any?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

Mate, love it one of the better GK's on here.. Where did you get the front headlights from? And well done on changing the rear lights, a lot better..
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

75wagon wrote:And I've just noticed...
These are the first later model sigma door trims I've seen that aren't wrinkled... I didn't think there were any?
There are a few around. The amount of them that are wrinkled you'd think that they came standard like that.
sig2L wrote:Mate, love it one of the better GK's on here.. Where did you get the front headlights from?
Thanks. The headlight's are just the standard one's. I pulled them completely apart and painted the plastic housing on the inside, put them back together after raiding a couple more light's for clip's that wern't all rusty looking.

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Well made some progress over the weekend and last couple of day's. Since the dash is out to put the hydraulic clutch pedal in i decided it would be a good idea to replece the 20+ year old foam from the fan/heater box. Pulled it all out, cleaned it all up and went to Clark Rubber to get the foam came home and installed it. Upon taking out the heater core i noticed that there was sign's that it had been leaking. Went and had it tested, all was ok. Got the fan/heater box back together tonight. Will install it tomorrow when i get home from work.

Plan's for weekend..... Install interior, Change gearbox to starion one, try to stay cool in 3days of 41+ degree heat!
Last edited by GB_BB4C on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

hey mate black door trims look a treat howd you do them ? retrim or painted ect ?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

very nice work
love the headlights and a pretty simple mod too, nice touch

i like the interior too and like luke said, were they retrimmed or just vinyl dye?

keep us all posted
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

The door trim's like the rest of the interior was painted using a vinal spray. Worked a treat, used 3x400g can's, most of which was used on the door trim's. All the bit's that were black when i got the car have been resprayed as they were obviously done in a rush job and bit's were missed. The door trim's were only painted very roughly and were never pulled apart so you could see the origional blue trim colour on bit's of it. When i painted them i removed all the window switche's, door pocket's, light's etc... painted until you could not see any blue at all and then re-assembled.

Since it was 40+ degree heat, i wasn't very motivated to do anything major on the car, with where the car is located it also cops the sun. I instead decided to sit under the verandah and work on getting the Magna digital dash surround joined to the Sigma surround. Saturday was spent cutting, lining up and melting (thank's dad for the use of the soldering iorn) the two together and then fibreglassing it. Today was spent sanding, body filling and priming it. Would have top coated it (black, obviously to match the rest) but it was way too hot and had enough trouble getting the primer on it.
Here's some pix.... enjoy.

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

A bit more was done on the weekend, not as much as i wanted due to the fact that the daily driver (GH PWS) decided to let a gasket go so had to fix that. Ive put all the heater box and fan back in and started to put the dash back in. It is origionally an auto body so am changing the gear shift hole to the appropriate one. Had to go and get another tailshaft due to not realising that it was a custom one that was origionally in the car. I only realised this after i had changed over the uni's and yoke's to the appropriate one's, installed it in the car and saw how much it was sticking out the gearbox.
Anyway here is a pic of the half installed dash.
Was hoping to do more on this on Australia Day.... looks like im working on the GH again.... it's broken something else now in the motor and ain't sounding too good.

TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

mate was just wondering is your intercooler a 600x300x76 ?
and was also wondering do you have any pics of the mounting or yours and the setup in general
im putting the cooler in my gk gsr atm and just need some pics of what others have done to give me some ideas
cheers

looking good with the magna elite cluster :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Yeah, its a 600x300x75. Will get some pix for ya tomorrow, it's not on the car at the moment but only takes five min to put it back on as half the front is off the car aswell.

Cheer's for the comment about the Magna gauges. It looks good in there but also looks a bit weird as it has a charcoal background to it and with everything else black. I have another facia panel and have painted it black and will install it soon to see how that looks.

TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah man looks good either way
looks like we are doing very similar things i just finnished the staza hydrolic clutch conversion a couple of weeks ago too :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Did you put a brace in for the front of the pedal box or are ya just relying on the firewall one's. I put a brace in mine, forgot to take a pic before the dash frame went in but should be able to get a photo when the gauges come out again.

stealth

Post by stealth »

mate just a tip about your braking issues :$
get a vacuum canister with oneway vavles so when its
off boost your create vacuum for when its time to STOP (A)
just a thought
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking very nice indeed, I really like the dash, looks sweet.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Well after stuffing around with the GH to get it up and running only to fail on me after one day of driving i could finally get some work done on the turbo car once again. Managed to change the floor shifter hole from an auto to a manual one that i had cut out of a car from the wreckers, all the carpet is back in and rear seats, the rest of the dash, centreconsole is back in minus the gauge's, ran the wire's for the electronic speedo and bov cut-off switch and as the front seat's sit on the origional runners they didn't have a mechanism installed to allow them to move so made up a handle taking the idea from the Galant runners.
Will be doing more throught the week and weekend so will update soon.

migs

Post by migs »

hey i have galant looking for a rear diff to handle the power of the modded Rb20det motor we put n it
was thinking about the 720diff
what are the specs on your 720 diff
what wheel bolt spacing do you use and did you do a rear disc brake conversion?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

The diff was already in the car when i got it, the person who i got the car off of had bought it off someone else who had done the work. It has had the GK mount's welded on, the brake's are from a Scoripion (disc's and caliper's) they are mounted on a dog bone type bracket at the back of the diff (usually on the front on a scorpion) and utalise a standard GK Sigma handbreak cable. The track is slightly wider than the Sigma and im still running the standard pepperpot rim's. The ration is 4.2:1 and i am using bigger than normal tyre's to make it more drivable. Other than that i can't tell ya much more.

Did a bit more on it today, After staring a wiring diagram's for a few hour's and working out what goes where i finally finished wiring the dash cluster in and started work on the S13 SR20 radiator convertion (same as turbogj260) only to find that none of the intercooler piping was going to fit. Since i want the car for a cruise coming up i am just putting the standard radiator back in and will tackle this in a couple of month's.

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Last edited by Sigmaproject on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

``
Mate , love your enthusiasm. Wish I had just half of it :$
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Sigmaproject wrote:``
Mate , love your enthusiasm. Wish I had just half of it :$
I don't have much enthusiasm, but what i do have is making this car get done. With the car outside and copping the arvo sun isn't helping either.

Well seat's all in, dash is tested and working, vaccumed the carpet and ordered another dashmat without the hole for the clock. Look's pretty good if i do say so myself. Also you may notice a slight bump in the panel alongside the centre vent's, that bump when pushed on pop's out and fold's out into twin cupholder's. Now just gotta do brake's and motor stuff.

TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

that looks great mate
was it much trouble getting those seats and rear seats in ?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka