1973 GB Galant

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
galantacious

1973 GB Galant

Post by galantacious »

G'day, name's Corey, i was a member for years on the old site...not that i posted much.
I used to have a GB galant in yellow, 4g32, ROH wildfire wheels, exhaust etc on it, i used it for autocross/motorkhana but i was pretty young (14) so i didn't really know what i was doing engine wise. I had great plans to paint it etc etc but i got sick of it sitting there and sold it to a member on here or old site... for a rediculously low price.
Since that day i've regretted selling it. I started looking for another galant.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, i won this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

It's the same colour as my old one which was a bonus. So my mate and I drove to ascot vale to pick up/look at the car. The person selling the car kindly only took photos of one side of the car. The passenger side front quarter has a big dent and has rust. I still paid the full price and drove it home.

The lady told me a bit about the car:

owned by 2 "older" ladies.
always garaged up until 4 years ago.
always maintained etc etc.

So here's some pics after some serious scrubbing

Their off my phone, i'll post better one's when i take them!!

Corey
guylant

Re: 1973 GB Galant

Post by guylant »

good find looks prity strait what u going to do to it :thumpsup:
webby

Post by webby »

Looks nice man
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yeah, looks like a good start for a project. What's the plans now?

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

nice mate, and as dave said what plans? :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

looks like a really good start for a great project. i wish i hadnt sold my GB :\
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I wish mine hadn't been written off by a truck... But the rust was starting to catch up with it anyway. That is the car I thought I was clever with and welded up all the rust. Ant then it came back 2 years later 5 times as bad... moral to the story... Use fish oil too...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

yeah fish oil is a must lol. mine was a 6/74 manual Gb sedan light blue, one owner, mint body and rust, was shiny and everything. sold it for $2200 :| :|
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
kodos

Post by kodos »

Love it! :thumpsup:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

first plan is to get it roadworthy and into my name...it only has one months registration left so hopefully it doesn't need too much done to it.
Then after that just things like exhaust, carby, lowering etc etc. There's no hurry as my other car is the daily.

One major thing it needs is a front guard due to a dent and the only rust in the whole car, i went to Centre road wreckers in springvale yesterday because they had about 4 galants, 2 weeks ago and every one of the cars are gone!! does anyone know where i could possibly get a guard and heater controls and a dash cluster from? Their the only things i can tell it should need so far.

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Corey
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

galantacious wrote:does anyone know where I could possibly get .......... a dash cluster from?
I have a spare cluster in the shed (mph speedo, not the dual-marked one that some late production GBs had) that I would be willing to part with. What's wrong with yours ?
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Mine has the MPH speedo too. The speedo doesn't work and i can hear a continous ticking sound when i'm driving so it's either the dash cluster or the cable. I'll pull the cluster out in the morning and let you know. can you PM me with a price?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

At a guess, I would say it's probably the cable - they have a tendency to seize up.

Mine doesn't work either .... drive pin is snapped off the gearbox end of the cable .... but being a rally car it doesn't bother me, and with 14" wheels it reads incorrectly anyway ! I just drive on the tach when on the road :)

For a car this age a working speedo is NOT a roadworthy item, by the way.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:For a car this age a working speedo is NOT a roadworthy item, by the way.
Yep true, I went to book my car for a rego check in early December and they said they'd do the inspection while I was there. I said I can't, I'll have to go home and change the cable (I wasn't expecting to get straight in), they said don't worry about it, it doesn't matter.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

It will matter if you get booked for speeding ;)

I would love to read the RTA rule page that says a working speedo was not necessary!

Man just check, sometimes the cable just pulls out of the back of the instument cluster,
usually if the cable has been disconnected at the Gearbox,
and the inner cable gets alittle stuck in the box,
hopefully you can just pull the gauges out, slide it back in and tighten the retainer back up and it will work again.

Im not doubting DAVETREES, he is a very knowledgeable man,
But i would love to hear the conversation with a cop when you get pulled over for speeding and they ask, any reason why you were speeding?
Yeah my speedo doesnt work, i was just guessing...
lol
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

yeah the rta probly dont worry about the speedo not working cos it'll mean more speeding fines which equal more revenue for them
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It's not a safety thing. As long as your car is mechanically sound (motor, brakes and steering etc..), lights work and not rusty. Where on the pink slip form, would they write that the speedo doesn't work? It's not like seat belts.
Rego wouldn't have anything to do with getting booked for speeding..... and don't worry, I was surprised when the guy said it didn't matter that it didn't work.
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Well the problem with the speedo not working was that the cable wasn't plugged into the back...easy fix!

Also had a look at the heater controls and i just need a cable so that's no major issue either.

Now all i need is a front passenger guard..anyone got one? I'll put it in the wanted section too.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

DanTurboLancer wrote:It will matter if you get booked for speeding ;)

I would love to read the RTA rule page that says a working speedo was not necessary!
That's a different issue !

Remember, we are talking VicRoads here, not the NSW RTA (their rules may be different).

According to VicRoads website ...

Speedometer
Vehicles manufactured from 1 July 1988 and licensed buses and taxis of any age must be fitted with a functioning
odometer and a speedometer calibrated in km/h.

Of course you are still required to obey the speed limit at all times .... but from a purely roadworthiness point of view a working speedo isn't required in pre-1988 cars.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Fair point, Davetrees and 75wagon!

Glad it was an easy fix too Corey
davenq

Post by davenq »

How did I miss this , this is identical to mine ...could you get a pic of the galant badge on the boot, thats the one i'm chasing....cheers
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

Yeah, sure, I'll take one tomorrow after work.
Since the start of this thread we have moved house and the galant now lives in the garage, which is where it belongs!!
If it gets kicked out of there we have a carport too.