GK Sigma Rally Car

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
luke77

GK Sigma Rally Car

Post by luke77 »

Hey guys,
Thought I would finally post some pics of how the build is progressing. I have the interior gutted 9to a point), the roll cage steel is ready to go, just need to get all the sound deadener off the floor (what an arse of a job).
Pics of Commodore strut conversion. Have the strut sitting in place and looks like it should fit up - see suspension and brake thread
Will keep the pics coming as progress happens. I am thinking of a paint scheme based on the Lancer EX2000 Rally Car but using the Fujitsu Supercar Team colours, any suggestions?????
BTW - I hope the pics work out, its my first attempt
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
shuggy

Re: GK Sigma Rally Car

Post by shuggy »

looks gd mate, do those commo struts/brakes/hubs all fit nicely? what struts are they? will look into this try to stick on a GC?? doubt it will work tho hey
luke77

Post by luke77 »

I go into a bit more detail on the attched thread :thumpsup:

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2675
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Updated pics of build & car loaded on trailer to go to have seam welding, roll cage and paint. Sound deadener all off, dash/heater box removed, lights etc all out as well.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Not bagging you man.
But why does everyone want to remove their sound deadener?

Surely it cant weigh that much to make any sort of significant weight or time advantage.
Especially if you are going to leave the Door trims and stock Glass in...

And all it does is make it even louder inside the car?
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Can you PLEASE learn how to strap the car on to the trailer properly, that looks plain scary!

Sound deadner can weigh up to 20kg, it also helps make the interior of the car neater when there is no carpet. Noise is part of the pakage for a rally car :)
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Helmet and intercom soon overcome the noise, and as this is a Rally car not a road car noise is of no consideration. The main reason it is removed is simple, to weld in a roll cage the base plates for main hoop, front legs, reinforcemt bars etc need to have a clean metal surface to weld to, and seam welding cannot be done properly as most internal seams are covered by sound deadener. Also, the fitment of new seat mounts, foot plates etc etc etc cannot be done on 5mm thick tar like crap......
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Hoonboy, this was only to take the car 2kms from my house to work so no biggy on the straps. Oh and by the way we have been carting Rally cars all over Victoria for around 12years and never had one come off so I think I know a thing or two about tying on cars. The front strap was more than adequate for the trip it did today, but seeing as the car had to come off the trailer before its next 100km journey the rear strap was there for looks not function!!!!
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

DanTurboLancer wrote:if you are going to leave the Door trims and stock Glass in...
For pretty much all rally categories in Australia the stock glass & interior trim needs to remain in place.
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Latest update, cage nearly complete just got backstays to go. Picked up 8 x 15" Alloys as well. Should have home in the next couple of weeks to tidy up some bits and pieces then off to the paint shop!!!!! Taking time but getting there

cozer82

Post by cozer82 »

what are you paying for a rollcage like that i would expect at least 1500-2000?????
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Nah mate, being built by a mate and myself so just materials and some beers........ :D The mate of mine has built a fair few cages over the years so quality is really good and design has evolved over the years as well. mind you I don't know how much i'm really helping :$
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Coming along nicely!!

Keep the updates coming :thumpsup:
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Backstays in place, harness bars and a couple more small support bars to go and DONE!!!!!............. F#*king Ripper (H)
Heaps of work still to go............

Thanks for the comments :thumpsup:
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

cant wait to see this this when its finished,considerd doing a paint scheme like the old school la lb lancer rally cars, either way you will have alot of fun once complete ,good luck with it all mate. :thumpsup:
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Hi all, last post for the roll cage portion of this build.
Harness bars in place

Main hoop to front leg support bars in

Car on trailer ready to bring home.

Need to finish dressing welds, get seat mounts in, panel off boot to cabin section, remove remaining door trims and off to paint shop. It's starting to come together nicely........
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Paint Done!!!!!! :D Reassembly process begins :banh:
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like it, you have kept with the original lay out but made it your own. Very well done :thumpsup:
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

Looking good there chief. Keen to c how this car turns out and follow the build. :thumpsup:
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Bumpers on, lights in, door handles and trims back on, slowly getting there..........
Nat881

Post by Nat881 »

Nice project out there! Keep it up, i also have a rally car project, a 76 lancer.. I like what you have done to the cage..
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Picked up 9 15" wheels for a slab.........................

gave them a quick coat of black, should do the trick nicely

Now to pick up some 2nd hand 195/60/15 and 185/60/15 rally tyres to see which will fit best
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Do yourself a favour & by yourself a pair of Dunlop SP73R "steer tyres" for the front.

At around $200 a tyre (for 14" anyway ... dunno cost of 15" but shouldn't be too much different ?) it's the best money you will ever spend.

I bought a set for the front of the Galant before my last event & they transformed the handling ... it actually turns in now !

2nd hand "drive tyres" for the back end are fine, but I reckon spending the $$ on good steer tyres for the front of a RWD car is a good investment ...
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Only chasing 2nd hand to trial fit for clearances etc, will get new once size is sorted. You are absolutely spot on with keeping good steer tyres on board, better to have oversteer than understeer in the bush!!!!!
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Not bagging you man.
But why does everyone want to remove their sound deadener?

Surely it cant weigh that much to make any sort of significant weight or time advantage.
Especially if you are going to leave the Door trims and stock Glass in...

And all it does is make it even louder inside the car?

Just as a point of reference I removed all the sound deadening from my LC Lancer Rally project and I weighed it (as i was always curious). Sound deadening (on the floor) as well as Carpet weighed just under 16kg. Next is to remove some of the sound deadenign in the doors and 1/4 panels. Every bit of weight you can remove adds acceleration, braking and cornering ability (as one of the guys has here in his signature).

Loving the build, I hope to have some pics and a build topic of my LC up soon. Keeping everything street legal and engineered so can get it back on the road hopefully.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
webby

Post by webby »

Don't know if you care or not, but those wheels are factory MZ10 Soarer wheels. 15x6 +25.
Looking good mate :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Unfortunately they have "Toyota" moulded into the outside of them............... Think they also came off a celica gt or something of the same era
webby

Post by webby »

Like I said, MZ10/11 Soarer wheels. '81-'86.
Celica GT's of that era (which were never sold here by the way) ran the same wheels as the MA61 Supra, the same style but 14x7 +8.
I'm going to leave the "unfortunately" alone, I think :lol:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Got my SG stickers, thought I would throw a couple on the car
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Seeing as it is such a good day, I thought I would get the car out of the shed and give it a wash. You will also see that I have installed the seats, dash, door trims (painted black), had white squares put on the doors and pinstriped around the squares. Next job is to panel off the boot with aluminium and make up some foot plates for the driver and nav.