its that time again.. - Galant Coupe -PICS ADDED

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
shuggy

Re: its that time again.. - Galant Coupe -PICS ADDED

Post by shuggy »

i have just aquired a 75 GC, fucked but PERFECT bumpers, bonnet, dash, bootlid and some other shit
and also getting a GE Sigma with jap 5 speed, perfect body, perfect bumpers, beautiful blue interior..

SO MUCH FOR BLACK FRIDAY!!

gettin dropped off next week some time :)

doesnt want any money for them but im gonna give him something, cant just throw these around haha
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

Nice find :) Im so jealous right now
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

farque :(
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

now see wat i mean by immac GE?
its prettyy nicee

but GC is farked haah
but look at those bumpers :o mmm chrommeee

the best guy i have ever met - and he knows his stuff! thanks craig!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

today i had some goooddd fun with strip it disks and etch primer ;)

cut out lots of rust too

and went with good 2 coats of etch

so moving along quite nicely

gettin my GTO steering wheel in a few weeks $70 US perfect leather perfect nic :)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

more cut out

C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I hope you have replacement sections to go in. I would of made up the patch pieces before i cut that all out. Even if it was rusty you still need it so you know what shape to make the replacement pieces.

The top of the windscreen, and the lower rear quarters, you may be able to use sections off the sedan as a template or even as the patches themselves if they are okay. Around the side window may be a lot harder as you will need to try and make a mirror image of the drivers side. It won't be easy making the curved section
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

with the rear windows and front doors i have planned to instead of having the ridge where the chrome sits in im goin to make a continuous gradient curve from where the indent is to the glass, and no chrome. just going to get pinstripes instead :)
a lot easier, i know its not goone be as good as the chrome but the chrome is fukd and i wana do it myself so gonna take a lil shortcut. i rekon it wont look too bad to be honest. can you picture what i mean??

and yea the lower quarters im goin to weld up as neat as possible, oxy fill rod it in and then use 2 pac plastibond filler over the top and sand to shape. yes a shortcut again but i dont have all the bending tools and that sorta stuff so its kinda hard..

might not be as good as done professionally but im sure it will look good when i think how much money i saved.

gonna hunt around for an oxy tomoro ;)

any suggestions on pinstripes or extra things i can do to the body anyone? exterior or interior?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Don't mix Plasti-bond and normal bog. And I don't mean together. I mean don't use one then the other. They repel each other. My brother-in-law an I learnt this the hard way. His car had roof racks that bolt through the roof. He wanted something stronger then car bog to fill them. He used Plasti-bond to first fill, then we topped it with car bog.
First day parked in the sun It formed blisters on his roof.

Plasti-bond is stronger, but much harder to finish smoothly then car bog.
Just passing on some info that may be useful.
shuggy wrote:with the rear windows and front doors i have planned to instead of having the ridge where the chrome sits in im goin to make a continuous gradient curve from where the indent is to the glass, and no chrome. just going to get pinstripes instead :)
How are you going to fit rubber seals to your windows if you do this? Have you allowed for that? If so :thumpsup: , if not you need to think about it.
I think it would look ok if you could finish it off so it looked factory.

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah i thought about that last night, im going to get strip rubber and weld a ridge on the inside of the gap for it ti sit on :thumpsup:
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

mate you have totally gone about this the wrong way especially with just deciding to cut out all the rust. my father has had 40 years of experience at body repairs and its no where near as easy as you imagine. DONT bog it ffs! keep it original. people keep saying how hard it is to find coupes but unexperienced people just as easily ruin them. ever welded a car panel with the oxy before? if not dont do it cos you will put too much heat into the panel and distort it beyond repair. dont take this the wrong way but just.. helpful critism. It took me 4 years to actually find a coupe at all, and it was in worse condition than this yet they seem easy to get on the mainland and i had to go through so much effort to get the body perfect and you just get one and butcher it. i didnt get to choose what coupe i wanted, i didnt get to choose i just heard of one and got it after 4 years of looking..
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

true
i found some more rust on the strut tower today, so maybe i will just strip it completely, prime it to stop rust, and take it to someone to do. just save up some dollars to do it huh? i have oxy's light metal panels before but no not a car panel so maybe best to let someone do that part
but on the same not i wanto to learn 8o|
argh hard choice..but its probably gonna cost me just aas much to hire out an oxy as it is to get someone to weld for me hey..

cheers for the feedback mate

oh and the bog was only gont be to fill grooves n dimples etc after welding ;)

ON another note, i took out my struts and took of all steering links today, unbolted tranny and engine and will lift out tomoro :)
mums not happy she cant get her car in though haha
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

cool man glad you took that the right way. just either get some practice befor you start welding on the galant or take it to a professional. i was just very lucky that my dad used to be a panel beater. my coupe is identical to yours when i first got it but much rustier. the seond day i got it i washed it cos it had been sitting under a tree for ten years and had rust and mould coming out of everywhere. i must have sat on the grass and looked at it, like stared for about three hours deciding what to do with it. i finally choose to bite the bullet and just do it. :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

that was like me, i got it, was hell keen started strippin it, by the time i found all the rust (so far) i felt sick and i sat on the floor in the car leaning on the steering wheel for about an hour just lookin around.. then i went inside got a beer came out with a grinder n was like LETS DO THIS
i know i sould get moulds n shit before i cut it out but the brown stuff is depressing i had to get rid of it..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

also, because i want this as a daily cruising car (and im sorry luke) i have almost decided that i want to stay 4g32 hahaah
after all the huntign and coming within an hour of buying an astron, i went out n saw a car that was 100% stock, i mean struts brakes engine, plus extractors n twin webers, and it was amazing
i dont want a fast car (coz il just lose it when i lose my licence haha) i just want a nice, reliable, quick, car that sounds great, gets good economy and has a wiked body/interior/stereo
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

just looking at where you cut around the rear side windows, i have a patch i cut out of a rust free car for there but its for the other side. i managed to get my mate to seel his spare coupe to me, and we cut it up for rust repair patches and parted it out for both our coupes.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

can i borrow it for a mould :P
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

quick and 4g32 dont really go together.
but take a look at daves wagon. doesnt go fast but sounds like it does
you get more attention going slow than you do going fast :thumpsup:

what i would do is go with the 4g32 and buff up everything you can
and hpc coat eveything else. make it look like it just came out of the showroom only better.
lower it over a set of decently dished wheels and pump out the guards.

and yeah i'm with astron - bite the bullet take it to a pro,
it will last longer and you will appreciate it for a lot longer
rather than thinking - i wish i had of done it properly the first time...
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

heres mine after the rust was cut out from around the window. it looked pretty much the same as you cut yours out.

[img]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

is that after you welded in a section?
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

77galantv6 wrote:quick and 4g32 dont really go together.
but take a look at daves wagon. doesnt go fast but sounds like it does
you get more attention going slow than you do going fast :thumpsup:

what i would do is go with the 4g32 and buff up everything you can
and hpc coat eveything else. make it look like it just came out of the showroom only better.
lower it over a set of decently dished wheels and pump out the guards.

and yeah i'm with astron - bite the bullet take it to a pro,
it will last longer and you will appreciate it for a lot longer
rather than thinking - i wish i had of done it properly the first time...
yeh im thinkin the same, i want it to last a long time.

and wen i said quick i meant zippy, my stock g32b in kermit with single mikuni n stock exhoust is just not quite quick enough , so i rekon extractors and twin carbs and have oil cooler, external oil filter by using g32b oil filter attachment on the 4g32, and also using the alloy rockers off the g32b in place of the cast ones on the 4g32 to get an extra 1000rpm or so

cheerrss
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Mine doesn't rev any harder.
But saying that, I haven't changed anything but the carbs.
I've got a cam that I bought from kodos and I'm waiting for the right time to put it in.
My old GB sedan had these carbs (another set) and was set up for them, it went better then my wagon.

A 4G32 with some decent work done to it would perform as I think you want it too.

But as the old rule states, "Nothing beats cubic capacity......"

My car is not about going fast, it's about setting Volvo car alarms off as I drive-by, and it does :thumpsup:

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

astronturbo77 wrote:heres mine after the rust was cut out from around the window. it looked pretty much the same as you cut yours out.

[img]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Shuggy.... Good to hear mate.

Can relate to the wanting to learn thing, but some times... It is better to leave it to the guys that do it all day long, day in day out, and can practically do it in their sleep...

4G32 ? lol, well thats your choice, and not going to try and change it :D

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
megalark

Post by megalark »

I'm Impressed. A man on a mission! Wow! :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

megalark wrote:I'm Impressed. A man on a mission! Wow! :thumpsup:
haha yeah man, once i start i cant stop unless i get uber uber sick, screw it up biggg time, or go into serious debt haha
81GL wrote:Shuggy.... Good to hear mate.

Can relate to the wanting to learn thing, but some times... It is better to leave it to the guys that do it all day long, day in day out, and can practically do it in their sleep...

4G32 ? lol, well thats your choice, and not going to try and change it :D

Nick.
ye i no wat ur sayin, and i think im gona do that. save my coin n get it done pro. coz if i screw it up bigg time im likely to wana throw in the towel ahah
but yeh i might practise my welding on the galant im gettin next week thats goin tot the scrappers anywais ;)

and 4g32 ye coz easier to licence and so forth for now, and with my 100 bux off credit card limit im strapped for cash so want to spend the money on what i can only do once - the car itself. i can change drivetrain later on ;)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

75wagon wrote: My car is not about going fast, it's about setting Volvo car alarms off as I drive-by, and it does :thumpsup:
I did this just the other day in an underground carpark. Laughed my arse off.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Tj. wrote:
75wagon wrote: My car is not about going fast, it's about setting Volvo car alarms off as I drive-by, and it does :thumpsup:
I did this just the other day in an underground carpark. Laughed my arse off.
I was out in my wagon (before I sprayed it) for a family day out drive, crossed Berowra Waters on the punt (car ferry), The Guy on the punt let me go first obviously figured that out of the 3 cars he could let go that I would probably get annoyed following the others. So I drove off the punt and got onto the main part of the road and opened her up. :thumpsup: It's a steep climb with a road way cut in. The Wagon is bloody loud for what it is. This Volvo's alarm starts going off as I do it. I laughed so hard, My wife and the Kids too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

hmmmmm
so made a few calls yesterday about no compliance plates..
coz i have no history of prior registration, and its me that has to prove it not them prove otherwise, my car is gonna be treated as an import. even though it has AU VIN on strut tower?
this means i have to pay for import compliance, that means about 2 grand...
im sorry but this deserves a loud 'fuck' out loud :(
im thinkin i might be stickin it under a cover out the back and wait til the next coupe comes along so i can use parts off this one on it, and do a ground up on my sedan coz it has ZERO rust, nil nothing didly squat (except for a tiny bit bout an inch square at the front end of one of the gutters) and it is completely straight

i need opinions please.. i never quit on anythin and i dont wana quit, but seems as though im gonna be in a shitload more debt before the car is even legal haha
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

go with what "YOU" want.
money can always be earned
time is always there.....

but if it were me, i'd do what you said, put the coupe into dry storage
and wait for the next one and snap it up (make sure it has plates lol)
do up the sedan and learn from your mistakes and when you do build a coupe it will be
FULLY SIK BRO :lol:
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.