its that time again.. - Galant Coupe -PICS ADDED

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
shuggy

its that time again.. - Galant Coupe -PICS ADDED

Post by shuggy »

so i decided to get the coupe, it will be in my driveway next thursday :)
so here are some crappy shots off my phone that i got when i checked it out - sorry about the size future ones will be smaller
just thought id get some opinions on what to do with the body etc
im gonna be stripping it down to bare metal and fully rebuilding it over the next year as it needs a lot of work

when i cut the doors where the rust is at the top i wanted to maybe get rid of that lip and make it flush to the window but il decide when i get there. if anyone has this chrome strip il buy haha

bonnet it straight but has lil bit of rust - i have a spare so im ok :) - bumper is nicee - need new light

boot is gonna have to have ass end cut out n fixed up, will probably end up going custom tail end as its just as much work as fixing that ding, and rust in the boot floor where he has bolted a tow bar in so may as well.

very straight body, just rusty :( - hmmm what colour should i make it?

drooolllllllllll - new carper and reupholster seats will be a good thing :)

this is the sexx

so yeahhh

comments on the build?

im thinkin 4g64 DOHC with custom intake for T14 or similar supercharger with suck thru carby? thats the dream anyway haha

cheers :thumpsup:

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

EDIT: fixd the pics
woops

Re: its that time again.. - Galant Coupe

Post by woops »

Congrats on the purchase.

I think it's starting to get to the point were we need to start a registry of all the galant coupes out there. I was talking to one of the guys at the brissie jap car show and he was saying there were only 2000 coupes to enter the country and that they were all made over in japan where as the sedan galants were made in here. I wonder how many are actually out there still. I think there is maybe a 5 to 10 on people on this site with one in some form of condition with most being in the process of being restored. Myself included.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah well mine doesnt have complience plates sooo hhaha
woops

Post by woops »

Don't think we need the vin No or anything. Maybe just one pic and the year and month of manufacture.

And I'm actually really keen on this kinda colour for my coupe when i get around to it.

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

that is niceeee ayyy
i want that bumper on my car haha
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

only 1000 imported from japan if i recall.

and for the back end just buy a sedan GC! and try fix it up :think:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh but im thinkin if i cut off the ass and have to weld on another i may as well make it full custom
but thats a long way away ahah

yes it will have t be cutt of its rat shit hhaa
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:yeh but im thinkin if i cut off the ass and have to weld on another i may as well make it full custom
but thats a long way away ahah

yes it will have t be cutt of its rat shit hhaa
I think that can be pulled out, If you lived closer I could fix that. All you need to do is figure out the impact point(s) and try to pull it back out using the same areas. Time and paitence is what's needed. Don't cut the back off. Everywhere you cut, you have to weld. Where you weld you burn the metal and paint. If you can't repaint that area when your done (because hard to get at or between 2 layers of metal) then you create a rust point. Within 3-5 years you will have rust coming thru.

My GB had rust in the roof pillars, thought I was really clever and welded all the holes up. I ground all the welds back resprayed the whole car looked awesome for 3 years. The the rust started. Within 12 months the rust was back 5 times worse.

Moral to the story:-----------If you have to do welding, treat the backside of the metal (where you can't see), if you can't get in there, fish oil it. Don't make your car rust.......

Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

cheers mate :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

im just lying here on my bed dreamin about what i should do to my coupe.. :$

there are so many things i wana do but its just my skill level im worried about.

before i say that im 19 and workin part time/study part time (not exactly rich), remember that im not rushing this project and i plan to have this finished in 2011 at the very earliest - so i wana take it slow and do things properly the first time, and spend the dollars to have a life time show quality vehicle

so i want a good diff setup - opinions? (disk brake LSD)
and i think i might want to go 5 stud.. opinions on front struts?

and one of my big thoughts at the moment is to rip out the rear seats for full custom audio layout and have custom fueltank/surge tank in the boot? (engineered as 2 seater) that way i believe i can have roll cage and street legal? doubt it though..

im basically looking for any whacky way out there ideas that could involve things like modifying body, extra things i could have, anything custom - i had someone today suggest sealing the boot off completely so it was a flush panel - could be cool.. but no haha

cheers
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

congrats on the purchase mate. Enjoy her and take your time to do it your way.

if you can get it on road and drivable its all the more fun as you go but if not just chip away. Congrats mate
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh i decided i wana just rip out the guts n chip away - if i get it on the road il neve rdo anything drastic coz i will never want to put her in hospital and off the road for long periods of time. so do it right do it once is in order :thumpsup:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

most depressing day.. :(
well here are the pics, got her today and went rust hunting.. jesus christ there is rust - take a look

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page= ... =659545398
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page= ... =659545398

im not sure what to do - there is way more than i would be able to do myself i rekon, anyone know what it costs for sandblasting?? if i can get it sandblasted at a decent price i might have a crack at it - otherwise might have to leave the body n build it into a dirt car.. :(
woops

Re: its that time again.. - Galant Coupe -PICS ADDED

Post by woops »

Taking a look at that rust it isn't as bad as it looks. The bonnet can be replaced with a sedan bonnet apparently so that's all sweet. The guards you could look at getting from a gd and modify to suit. The bottom of the door is easily fixed with a wire brush and rust converter. The corners of the doors are easy to repair by cutting out the cancer and welding in some new pieces and smooth over with some bog.

The biggest jobs would be the repair inside the door as it would require removal of the door skin to get in there and the rust around the rear windows would require cutting and replacing but the chrome covers most of it so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Bodywork is often the easiest work to be able to sort out easily. The trim and interior is often the hard and expensive bits to do and get which looks to be pretty good on your car.

For some inspiration here is someone with some real dedication for their lancer. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3342510.
Everything in repairable.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

woops wrote:The bonnet can be replaced with a sedan bonnet
yeh i have one ;) but its bit warped..
woops wrote:cutting out the cancer and welding in some new pieces and smooth over with some bog
im thinking bout on the bottom of the doors instead of takin skin off and weldin sheet metal, maybe just use a thicker piece on the seam and just mould the curves and fill with fibreglass&resin - did this on my dads boat once n werked a treat.
woops wrote:rear windows would require cutting and replacing but the chrome covers most of it so it doesn't have to be perfect
i was thinkin of forgettin bout the curve and just cutting it out and following the curves of the door/roof with slow taper to meet the window instead of the ledge and discarding the chrome as it was damaged when i took it off anyway..
woops wrote:The trim and interior is often the hard and expensive bits to do and get which looks to be pretty good on your car.
yea the interior is incredible, the c pillar covers are still flexible haha, crash pad is soft, dash is amazing, everything werks including heater n demister n tacho n speedo n guages n warning lights - and the parcel shelf is original immac too. seats are shit though haah - get the fronts reupholstered and turn rear into sound system :)
and teh door trims are devine

and cheers for the link that is what i call motivation!
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

i'm with woops on this one.

panel and paint can always be fixed.
might take longer if there is a bit of rust,
but just think about how good it WILL be....

if you get a decent panel beater he/she will be able to recreate the curves/channels that need to be fixed

like you said, the interior is immaculate so there is alot of work that you wont have to do.

keep it stock looking on the outside (with the eception of rims, flares and lowering of course)
and then do a nice clean engine and drivetrain conversion (13B, Ca18, or 4G..)
and restore/modify the interior to a show standard.

thats what i would be doing.

just putting out some ideas for you.

good luck,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh i want a 4G64 DOHC but gonna have trouble licenceing so might have to go hell pimped 4G54..
im gonna do most of the banel beatin myself, maybe get someone to do the harder stuff..

cheers for the input :thumpsup:

thinkin of gettin colour co-orded seatbelts/seats/paint for the car, like on my green sedan i was gonna get orange belts and an ornage bay :thumpsup: but didnt have the cashh

so maybe this one ;)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

stripped it this arvo

left seat in to drive it for now ;)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:im thinking bout on the bottom of the doors instead of takin skin off and weldin sheet metal, maybe just use a thicker piece on the seam and just mould the curves and fill with fibreglass&resin - did this on my dads boat once n werked a treat.
Fibreglass and metal don't like each other that much.
I went down this path 20 years ago. The metal rusts and pushes the fibreglass off. Thakes about 2 years.
Dave.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah true.. i will find somethign haha
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

play doh.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

ok spent a few hours on her tonight after work, took everytihng off carefully.. gonna invest in a sand blaster then while im blasting for days and werkin i can save up for a mig, then after the blasting is done if i decide the body is a goer then il get the mig, if not i will scrap the shell..

anyways pics -

lights out

dash off

windscreen off crashpadd off (soooo easy without windscreen)

roof out

hollow space - had to cut off so many seized screws..

haha my pile of debri

hollow doors

doors off

end day 2

now to get that sandblaster..
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

i wouldnt be mega worried mate. this thing is a exact copy of my coupe, same colour etc. mine was way rustier. where the rear windscreen seals you could see the boot floor and under the rear chrome strips that curve up the quater panels after the door were wrse than your lol. i suggest you take it to a professional. and mig welder =bad when it comes to car panels. get some one who knows what their doing with a oxy torch and some filler rod, muchn better job because the welds can be hammered flat.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

can you use oxy on can panels :o holy shit im in love im helll good with oxy :D just made my day man haha
just cutting the metal to size is gona be a mission - i might contact my old school n see if they are willing to let me use their gear if i let the kids practise some rust removal/sanding/painting on my car haha - dangerous i know but its free :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

oh bought a cheap sandblaster and a compressor tday n had some fun gettin rid of rust n paint - here are sum pics. the rust aint as bad round the windows as i thought..

so messyy

rear window

roof

will buy some more iluminum wed n do some more - takes time thou ay! - only 125 psi max and air runs out quick..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh i no ay ahha
but if i keep goin the way i am rust will be done in no time - ive had the car 4 days remember lol
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

you have over taken all my hard work in 4 days ahaha

then again i dont really do much, money could get a whole lot more done.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

compressor, 10kg ilumite, blaster and linkages - 200 buks.. but its hel slow - im planin on giving up my social liife for this car, if anyone wants to have beers its at mine while they help me sand :D
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Top stuff shuggy, keep it up mate.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

shuggy wrote:compressor, 10kg ilumite, blaster and linkages - 200 buks.. but its hel slow - im planin on giving up my social liife for this car, if anyone wants to have beers its at mine while they help me sand :D
haha, funny you say that.. keep it to beers only, no green stuff as they wont do shit! ask them for a tool and there like 'whaaaaaaa?'