TR11KY's Factory Sigma Turbo #445

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
TR11KY

TR11KY's Factory Sigma Turbo #445

Post by TR11KY »

No point reposting it all so i'll just put the link to the threads here n keep doing that i guess.

HISTORY
TR11KY as she's affectionately known to me came from Bundaberg QLD from a lovely girl named nikki that used to be a regular on cardomain. She's a top chick but to put it lightly she pushed the old girl real hard.
When i got it she needed alot of work on almost all areas. Nikki n her guy knew they didnt have the coin n i had the passion and some coin so i got stuck into her. The wastegate was busted running anywhere up to 28psi so it was a case of change gear at 18psi those first few drives...

It ran out of rego not long after i got it and i put her up on stands to start work but nothin huge happened until i rgeo'd her a few years later due to weddings, houses and the like. After getting her rego'd she blew the turbo so i ended up doing a rebuild of the factory turbo.
http://www.sigmaturbo.com/sigmaturbo_072.htm
Soon after she was running fine again but not for long...

On the way into newcastle one day she blew more smoke than an indian when the cavilry is on its way so i pulled her off the road to pay some serious attention to the engine all together. Id had enough...
Thats where the EFI conversion thread started

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 90&start=0

Then sure enough i finished the efi conversion knowing the gearbox and diff werent going to last long. The gearbox went again on the way to work. Once again it was retired to the shed and this time i knew take it seriously from the get go.
A supra w58 gearbox conversion including custom 3" tailshaft with supra uni's occurred.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=791

More recently ive been getting a little bit of time to enjoy her on the road. Its been fun driving her but i know its just a matter of time before the diff goes too, so im already prepping for the Hilux Diff Into Sigma Turbo thread LMFAO

I have yet to touch the body work or the interior bar a few smaller details so that will also end up on the cards some day.

To me its a love affair build with often many tears and empty pocketted days to be had. Are they worth it, hell yes! You only have to see my face when i drive it, race it or play with it to see how much i loev my sigma turbo.
I even bought me n my son one to restore together to concourse condition.

Pics n details to follow.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Re: TR11KY's Factory Sigma Turbo #445

Post by TR11KY »

LIST OF WHAT IT IS NOW:

ENGINE
4g54 long motor by Pryce Engines
8.3:1 comp
Hypatec high comp pistons with chromoly rings
balanced factory rods
balanced crank
balanced cam
stock 2.6 efi magna head including valves etc to keep cost down (change later)
all chains sprockets nitrided for extra strength
bluprinted bottom end
balance shafts removed
cometic head gasket
arp rod, bottom end & head bolts everything new internally from guides to pumps, to hydraulic lifters...

INDUCTION
T04b Aus Boost turbo 0.6a/r with 1.15 rear
2.5" stainless turbo to cooler
3" stainless cooler to plennum
Modified TP magna efi intake plennum
SK Racing 420x220x65mm FMIC (Blacked out)
HKS sequential BOV
K&N 3 inch reverse pod on 3" stainless inlet pipe (tucked into front corner for maximum cold air)

FUEL & IGNITION
Adaptronic ECU
3bar map sensor
Aftermarket idle stepper control
All other sensors like air temp and O2 etc
XF ford Throttle body
Denso 550cc injectors from Mazda RX7
Malpassi Fuel Pressure Reg
Modified Magna Fuel rail
Standard TP magna dizzy
Bosch VL Turbo EFI fuel pump
Facet Low pressure external pick up pump
2L in boot stainless surge tank
Running BP Ultimate 98 Ron

EXHAUST
Factory sigma turbo exhaust manifold
Factory sigma turbo 32mm external wastegate
2.5" mild steel dump pipe to low resriction sports muffler mid, and 2.5" to 4" autotechnica cannon @ rear - Made to my specs by Lillford performance exhaust

ENGINE & PEFORMANCE OTHER
Stainless Oil catch can
Polished Alloy windscreen washer tank
Stainless overflow cylinder
In car CAMS approved extinguisher
HKS turbo timer
HDI Dual stage boost control
Full engine bay ventilation & heat sheilding retained

DRIVETRAIN (next problem im sure )
Exedy High Performance Sports clutch - Single plate organic 850kg
Dellow bellhousing on w58 Toyota Supra 5 speed box
Custom crossmember, dellow converted speedo cable etc
3" gibsons custom tailshaft with Supra yokes and uni's to suit borg diff for now
Standard sigma turbo diff

WHEELS & TIRES
15"x5.5" factory sigma turbo wheels also known as Peter Wherrett Specials with new centre caps and polished (full set of 5)
Falken ziex tyres all round - 205w 50h 15r

BRAKES & SUSPENSION
Factory 4 wheel disc with DBA slotted rotors front and rear
EBC Greenstuff brake pads front
Factory sigma turbo sports suspension (same as Peter Wherret Special model)

INTERIOR
Factory sigma turbo throughout.
Autotechnica sports steering wheel
Autometer water temp & boost guages
Full 3 point immobilising alarm with tricks
Boss Audio CD/Mp3/USB head deck
Clarion speakers 6" front and 6x9" rear

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

an older engine bay shot
more recent changes

at the King Edward Park Hillclimb having a run in full street setup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkPzbBAz8c

on the recent sg cruise to newcastle

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Shes a weapon Pete

Ill have to come around for a beer and check out the Supra box conversion
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

sure thing mate there's a super dry in the shed with your name on it anytime...

just text me n we'll set it up.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Pete,
have been watching this car for a while now.
will have to jump in it next time we go for a cruise.

when you paint it you keeping it in this scheme?

cheers,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

yeah it'll be a bare metal respray back to original blue black only i'll use a blue very close to the engine bay blue i used. I was originally going to leave the engine bay but the more i think about it the more i think if i take it off the road and rip it all out and do the whole body in one go including engine bay, and undercarriage it'll get another 15 years at least without touching a thing... Interior floor pan is already done but the roof could be a big issue i suspect...

My theme is enhanced Factory Sigma Turbo i guess.

The other one will bee full concourse so i should have a great base to put against it in future to guage the improvements.

But as was the original plan i wanna get the driveline sorted first so i can settle into a nice handling and drivable car before i spend the money on looks.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

shortly after the post above i attended the wisemans ferry cruise in the siggy. had a great day she wasnt nice to me like i had expected. She was overheating due to a leaky radiator cap, the brake fluid cooked itself and the rear calipers i later found out were actually totally seized. They had been for some time. After the cruise we decided to enjoy some skids for the kids and low n behold as i rightly predicted she kicked a nice skid got nice n crossed up for me and proceeded to blow the diff.... SIGHS

So i swapped diff for the one in my other sigma. It ran ok for a while, i got the brakes serviced and fluid changed, until she dropped a small heater hose. After that i fixed the hose and cruised on a few more weeks preparing for lay up on stands in december 2010. December i picked up the diff and let her sit.

Thats where the story continues below:

ok guys so not much physically visible on the car yet, but im well underway. I have the hilux diff for the coversion. I have been busy preparing a project plan of what to do and when, resourcing it and chasing prices, availability etc. the project will definately be slow to start and by march is should be starting to april i should be starting to see things getting somewhere.

Started the airbox setup and templates for plating out in the engine bay for tidy look. Wiring adjustments and relocating a few smaller items to still be able to acess after they are covered up. Horn for instance..

I have my stoneguard underbody spray and gun ready to go once i get on with under the car.

The shed is prepped and boxes ready for the teardown. still need engine crane, gotta buy some bodywork tools and the rest is pretty right tool wise.

Got some guys lined up to help me with body work, welder included. Wanted to check in with you all before i went any further. Sadly the pic uploading hasnt gone well so all will have to wait.
Last edited by TR11KY on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

the problem as always is my upload reliability with wireless net. Some days it'll play the game others it's not interested. I will check out drop box cheers mate.

UPDATE:
STRIPPING
fuel tank, surge tank, pumps, lines, diff, exhaust, tailshaft, brake lines, spare wheel and boot cleaned out and next the front end all stripped out from under the car. The painful job of cleaning the underbody is coming soon. It's all getting treated cleaned, rust blasted, fish oiled and coated with stoneguard.

FUEL TANK
tank is out and ive been cleaning it up with wire wheel and paint stripper, back to bare metal. It's painful to say the least. I've cut the leaded neck off it and found one to retrofit with flexible hose adaptor. The piece came off an EF falcon wagon, same diameter, screw lid and breather.

Many of you will be familiar with POR named chemical that treats rust and tanks. Im using a local supplier kbs coatings that are leaders in the field but locally available. $230 later i have 3 step fuel tank treatment and a full rust treatment pack for the underbody and underside of roof. Checkout their website http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/
I'm just bout ready to hit the inside with the cleaner stage 1, i just wanna finish the dirty work on the outside first.

Next step is stage 2 rust blast/etch, then stage 3 gold class sealer. That completes the inside so i clean and rust blast the outside before final coat called blacktop. After this the tank should look brand new and ready for another 30years. Other than a few dents n scrapes it has anyway. I dont wanna touch them as any welding on the tank will make engineering difficult.

ENGINE BAY
Airbox template is ready, engine bay wiring in front corners is tidyed up, horns relocated to under drivers side high beam headlight. Ive been removing some of the small dags n that in teh engine bay. the old washer bottle horn mount gorn for airbox. Ive left the engine and box in for now so i can trial fit the diff and check tailshaft length before its sent off to have the supra/hilux rear yoke fitted.

INTERIOR
im stripping that soon so i can get messy work done without worrying about the interior too much.
Last edited by TR11KY on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

she's going ford blue print upper and ebony black lower mate :) she was originally blue so im goin back to that but i want a more modern shade of blue.

The theme is enhanced sigma turbo rather than factory original however every mod must be removeable to convert back to original if i chose too. :D

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE:
Fuel tank has been treated with KBS 3 stage tank sealer kit. It is now curing for a few days.
stage 1 what came out...
stage 2
wait to dry
stage 3 through the neck before i emptied the excess

Tomorrow night i get to work on stripping the front suspension and brakes. Tuesday i start under the rear of the car cleaning up and rust blasting it for treatment and coating. (heat wave of 40deg heat killed that idea...)
I have to strip the interior whenever, engine n box remains in place as i wanna do the trial diff fit up to check the tail shaft length.

I've been speaking to another friend of mine thats been rebuilding jap engines for decades, he's encouraged me to keep and use the pajero head so i will let you all know how that plays out. My intent is to have the head mildly ported, check matched to intake, valves done and keeping with stock 2.6 cam so i need to check the head and headgasket, galleries to ensure nothing is missed.
Last edited by TR11KY on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

this is a beautiful car mate, makes me miss my gh, keep up the good work :thumpsup: cant wait to see it all painted up

M.B :thumpsup:
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

thanks mate i appreciate it :) i just do it my way and have for so long loved the turn heads, piss people off or omg we used to own a sigma years ago responses it gets but deep down it's a love affair with her. We've been through so much shit people wouldnt believe it and she's still here...Hahahaha

Theo DRSGMA says it best.

"With sigma's, it's personal."

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE:
The beast is starting to look like the other one :| its totally stripped out inside now with no dash, seats, carpet, roof lining, door trims, right through to the boot. Glass has to come out too...

Rust and bad stuff. This upsets me but a necessary find if i want to fix and see this car last another 30 years. The dust everywhere is amazing and imo dust soon leads to rust so it's all getting cleaned out, cut out, blasted out and treated or painted. The june plan looks like an unrealistic target all of a sudden...
this is why bog is only called temporary or short term repair option

The tank treatment kit worked well, but the sigma tank was a pain in the ass. I just have to finish the ouside of it now.

Undercarriage is stripped and ready for cleaning, rust blasting and coating. Whole chassis is getting air cleaned and flushed, air cleaned again, fish oiled and painted.

It's tough seeing her so stripped but if i want progress i need to go back to square one to get it right. Knowing i need to push harder for engineering perfection to ensure i can get certified is just another pain in the ass thats gunna stretch the timeline and the budget but dammit i'm goiung to finish it!!!

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

hey guys had a few weeks off the funds have been sidetracked so the project is definitely behind but all good. A goal is a goal but money only flows in and out in a place called reality for me....

UPDATE
tank is coated on the outside now after i aqua cleaned, rust blasted and now rust seal coated it. Looks pretty good even if i say so myself. The coating is flexible, hammer proof and pretty scratch resistant so it should look and last the tet of time.

I have to finish stripping front suspension as all those are getting this treatment too.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE
the painful prossess of cleaning the chassis rails and undercarriage has begun. Nothing goes back in until the underneath has been looked over...

boots cleaned out, gotta strip carpet and scrub it back a bit plus treat rust areas

tail lights out good news no rust in there thanks god...

i keep getting sidetracked lately poor tr11ky just isnt getting a fair go i need to get serious if im gunna do this... *kicks himself in ass*

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

love your work! very thorough job! it will be one clean car when finished... :thumpsup: :D
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

hey mate
nice work this is definatly the inspiration i need my red over black is as stripped as yours and has been for way to long.

im definatly getting back on the wagon.

cheers
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

cheers glant! i hope so mate, i'm giving it the full treatment for sure. I want it to be shmick top to bottom. Its going to teach me what i need to know so by the time i start the other one i've learned the do's and dont's making #500 much higher quality.

im stoked i could inspire you sigtool! i definately dont want it to stay like this for too long, i know full well if i dont get stuck in it will drag on becoming years and lost motivation. Dig in man lets get em all done and out cruising before the end of the year!

UPDATE:
Huge thanks goes to dan and dave for coming round on Friday night with dan's engine hoist so we could get the engine and box out. Looks like its a 90% full strip now, coz it goes on a chassi rotisserie in a few weeks. Couldnt have done it without those guys. A few beers, laughs, a feed and greasy hands...
Quote of night "bloody newer model cars" - Dave was that right guys???

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE:
got my custom air box back guys :-) wanted to share it with yas coz wont be shown till finished. Made by my kart flow sponser and team rhino truck bodies here in newcastle. too easy, now to buy a new standard shape k&n pod filter, weld in the angle for the bolts and grind back the lip thats fouling it's fit at the moment.

trial fit up here

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration