Frankenstein's Monster- '81 Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
webby

Re: The GJ (mark II)

Post by webby »

It's been a while, so heres a bump. Even if it's only to make the thread easier for me to find :lol:
Anyway, I'm fixing the tensioner issues over the weekend, and buying a balance shaft eliminator kit on Monday. I'll fix the cam timing while I'm at it, as it was out by a whole tooth on the cam sprocket :o
Hopefully I'll have the car ready for the Parramatta cruise in May. Someone'll have to save me a park, as I've got my RSA/RCG courses over the 21st/22nd and will have to leave for Sydney on the Sunday morning :(
I'm equally hopeful that I'll have my $240 SDRO bill paid and my licence back, otherwise I'll have to give this one a miss as well. I'd pay it in one whack, but being unemployed and getting the living-at-home rate for a 16yo from Centrelink (I haven't lived at home for over 3 years) isn't really conducive to paying stuff off quickly lol
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
webby

Post by webby »

Not much new, it's still killing the grass on my front lawn as I haven't had the money to fix it. I'm pretty sure all it needs is a timing chain tensioner and a tune, but it could have burnt valves because I was running it fairly advanced on the ignition timing for a fair while. I'm going to give it a once over sometime in the next fortnight, hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
On a brighter note, I managed to turn up the 2" straight through exhaust the blueslip guy told me to change as it was too loud, so I'll be chucking that back on as soon as I've fixed the running issues.
It's just too quiet for my liking, and the stock exhaust seems to be restricting it a fair bit. It would only rev to around 4k with the stock exhaust before it ran out of breath, whereas it would run out to 6-6.5k with the less restrictive 2" system. It sounded like a sick tractor under about 3.5k, but the noise above that was just something else altogether :)
I've also got a 34/34 Weber to go on along with a 2L cam, so it should move a little livelier than it did, once it actually moves again that is :P

It's been a great learning experience, doing this heap up. I've done all the work, including fabricating the exhaust (it's made out of a combination of the stock system, a GH factory system, and various offcuts and an N13 Pulsar front muffler flogged from the bins at the exhaust shop) myself and I've learnt heaps. I thought I was king shit and knew everything when I started, but now I realize that there's always more to learn.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
webby

Post by webby »

Some photos, early this month vintage I think
Just after putting the Lovells Low GE-GH rear springs that are nowhere near captive in :P It's lower than that irl, looks like a commodore though with ~45mm out of the rear height and stocko front lol
And sitting half in a lake on the day we got 80mm in 12hrs

I need to buy some more shanked wheel nuts, two 20mm and two 25mm bolt on wheel spacers, some Lovells Superlows and VB-VP (?) Koni Red inserts for the front, a pair of Koni Reds for the rear and a GK-GL grille, swap to the GE-GH front guards (I prefer the indicators) and it should be pretty close to where I want it. All this comes after I fix the engine and get a new clutch, as the current clutch is fair fucked.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

If anyone happens to be reading this thread, check the for sale section. I have some stuff up :)
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Update, only a small one though
I broke the horn pad on the TR Magna steering wheel I was using, so I stripped the plastic bits off it and put a button on the console for the horn :P
I also made a shifter knob out of a Winchester 12ga shell, using a shitload of electrical tape :P It actually looks pretty neat.
I'll put some pics up when I find my phone cord
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Trying to decide between these:

All 15x8 0 offset
-Josh.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i like the first ones. . i had a pic of some HOT mags that would suit sigmas or scorpions. but the magazine is in sydney and i cnat get it. it looks like a modern re make of turbo sigmas rims. . kinda. . i think they are hot. they are called something like soco4 or soc4 or something like that, but i tried looking them up on google, but cant find them :(
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
webby

Post by webby »

It's actually made some progress :P
To sitting on chassis stands in the shed with the timing cover off, only to discover that its buggered. did a comp test, 41-38-0-22. just like new ;-)
the oil pump is also buggered, as are both chains and the sprocket on the end of the upper balance shaft.
So, new motor time methinks :(
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Depending on what this MS85 I'm going to look at to morrow is like and whether I decide to buy it or not, I'll be selling this once it's running again. $1k, reg til 23rd Feb 2011.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Someone wanna tell me what it is with old Crown's and rust? The one I went to look at was so rusty you could probably origami it into a crane :lol:
Anywho, progress! New rings, bearings and a hone, bolted on a 2l head I had lying around for the lols, squrted some oil down the bores and did a comp test, minus the cam. All good :)
Once Dad's finished making the gaskets for the oil pump it'll all go back together and I'll finally have my car back :D

Based on extensive reading both here and on AE86DC I'll probably be doing a Toyota front end conversion. It should all bolt in using the standard LCA's if I manage to source a suitable strut top. Better brakes with shitloads of upgrade options and cheap, readily available coilovers, what's not to like? :)
I also decided I'm going with 14's. 7.5" +1 Volk Mesh up front, 8" -10 Hurricanes out back. 185/60's all 'round. Should look good, once I get rid of the 4wd-spec ride height for something more suitable. Like this:
But with a faded blue GJ instead of a very sexy GE. It'll be cop bait, but defects don't really worry me. I've had enough of them over the last few years to have become somewhat of a pro when it comes to getting them cleared :P
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Bit of a plan formulating here, so bear with me as I may start to waffle a bit :lol:
As I'm planning on moving to Wollongong next year, I want to keep this thing as my daily whilst providing a bit of extra oomph and handling ability for the odd drift practice/trackday/skidpan outing, all on a budget of around $1500 over about two months.

*cue in-depth description of the car's condition* :P
The car's pretty good mechanically. The only thing really wrong with it is the dead motor. The gearbox is good, it shifts nicely and doesn't whine, crunch or make any strange noises. It had an oil change while I was out there last and a steel bushing Dad made from some 20mm bar stock on his lathe fixed the super sloppy shifter action it had going when I got it. I rebuilt the diff (gave the housing a good cleaning, new wheel bearings, new bolts and a low km 3.308 centre) just after I got it, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Suspension wise it could do with new LCA bushes and the ball joints aren't too flash looking (split boots, but they still work fine. Go figure :\ ). The rear was done in 2007 with new bushes, I have the receipts :D Shocks on both ends are pretty well rooted, my uncle's getting me new Pedders front inserts and rear shocks so no worries there.

As for the brakes, it got rebuilt calipers front and rear in 2004 and new pads and rotors just before I got it last year. The rotors have a fair bit of surface rust from sitting for a while, so I'm hoping a few hard stops will wipe them clean. It' also had a leaking rear brake fluid reservior but I replaced it with a remote reservior from the silver GH I have here for parts.

Outside, it's got crap paint and the RHF guard's a bit munted, and there's minor rust in the boot (because the previous owner never cleaned it out, and once left the bootlid open overnight and let it get wet) and in the RHF guard (adding to the general munted-ness of that particular panel lol), but other than that it's straight, especially for a car that lived most of it's life in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Coffs Harbour before moving to Lithgow then finally Parkes.

Inside, it's a bit dirty. I need a manual console to replace the hacked up auto one that's currently in it, and one of the drug-fucked knobends I used to be mates with spilt goon (cask wine, usually that fruity lexia crap :wut: ) all over the back seat but it's nothing a phone call and a steam clean won't fix :D
Last edited by webby on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

This is the third time I've had to type this post out, I've been taking so long that it keeps logging me out :lol:

Anyways, it's basically just the engine, shocks and dirty interior stopping it from being a decent daily. However, the mix of track and street use I'll be doing in the car means it'll be needing some upgrades in the oomph, steering and stopping departments. So here goes :P

The engine will be getting a 34ADM, ported 2L head and a stage 1 cam. Later on I'll probably go either quad carbs from a bike or EFI. It'll also be getting a new clutch, as the one in it is a bit sad.

The suspension will be slightly dodgy. As in "ZOMG hektic choppies bru" dodgy. Centura shocks with cut heavy duty Falcon springs in front, TM-TP wagon shocks with the current GE-GH Lovells springs minus a coil in back, Nolathane/Superpro/whatever bushes all 'round. When I've got some money together I'll convert the front to coilovers and get some decent springs and adjustable spring perches made.

It's already got a reco steering box and new pitman arm (from the silver GH parts car) so the only thing I need to work out is how I'm going to get more lock. I'll probably end up cutting the lock stoppers off the steering arms and being careful not to bind the steering up :P

The brakes will just get some decent pads and slotted rotors, as the Hoppers and MrBishi upgrades are massive overkill and waaay out of my price range to boot.

The diff will just be a CIG locker. It'll require careful driving on the street, especially when it rains, but it'll do until I can get an R31 diff and a KAAZ 1.5 way LSD together.

Inside will be stock apart from a fixed back drivers seat, Starion passenger seat, 4-point harness and a Nardi Classic. I'll get a cage one day, there was one on ebay for $150 but I missed out on it :(

Outside will be as is apart from a GSR boot lip, a GSR chin spoiler (provided it fits, dodgy Bunnings garden edging lip if it doesn't) and guard mirrors. I'll probably use the doors off the silver GH parts car so there isn't a giant hole where the door mirrors used to be.

Wheels, I haven't decided yet. I'd prefer 15's, because Otomoto has some cheap pairs of Jap wheels in decent widths and offsets but I can get RE001's in 185/60R14 for $100 a corner :\
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Spent some money on this today:
$10 at the wreckers :)
It looks heaps better than the ratty, falling apart TR Magna one that's on the car now.
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's a top buy for $10 webby :thumpsup:
My Dad's GE sport pack came standard with this wheel when it was new. I always preferred it to the standard GE wheel.

I've been reading this thread everytime you add something.
Keep plugging away on it and hopefully I'll be able to see it soon.

Next cruise maybe?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

Next cruise? I hope so, I've been saying I'll come to an S-G cruise for the past 12 months lol
-Josh.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

yeah, i've been reading it too :) as dave said. . keep at it :) my first scorp was unreliable as hell, but i loved it all the same :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
webby

Post by webby »

The only reason this car's being such a prick is because the dick who owned it before me didn't do the cam timing right, plus I ran it fairly advanced on 91 for a few weeks and burnt some valves :(
Funny thing is, it wasn't detonating at all. So I have no idea why they burnt in the first place :\

Anyway, that'll be fixed fairly soon, hopefully by Monday. Dad and I are doing a reco job on the oil pump and replacing all chains, sprockets, guides, gaskets, and seals. I've already done rings and bearings, and it's wearing a slightly corroded 2L head with good valves, so here's hoping it runs.

The prick of a thing about next month's cruise is that it's on the day before my pay goes in. I guess I'll have to curb my impulse buying for a couple of weeks :lol:

Speaking of GE sport packs Mum had a red '77 model as her first car way back in '82. A duck killed it in '89 :(
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

I'm buying another pair of wheels tomorrow:
Fortan Mesh, 14x6j +17
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Some pics of how it currently sits

Stock springs vs GE-GH Lovells Low

No springs, sitting on the bumpstops :P 215/65R14 on standard 14x5.5 +24
Definitely needs to be that low fulltime, the lower these things are the better they look :)
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Is this going to be going by the 10th?
It's not far to go now?

True but, they look sic as low...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

What's this 10th business, I have 'til the 9th :P
On topic, this is what was wrong with the old oil pump:
That's the hole for the chain tensioner. I had a spare pump sitting around, and Dad bought me a timing chain kit ages ago. Sunday it should all be back together and ready to go, if not I'll have to skip this one as well :(
I've got to buy enough brake fluid to fill the rear circuit and bleed the system, as I've replaced the rear reservoir. I'll do that tomorrow.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

My wheels are here :)
Bit dirty, some gutter rash, but they're about what I expected :)
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Bitsa oil pump is together and in the car
2L pump body, 2.6 gears, 2.6 relief valve spring+plunger
I had to "customise" a bunch of longer bolts with the bench grinder to fit it as Dad managed to lose the ones that came out of the car :@
Dad will be home tomorrow, so the timing for the balance shafts and cam will be done then. Unless someone wants to tell me how to do it. In retard-speak please, I'm not the sharpest person around :lol:
My new (relatively :P) wheels fit really nice on the front according to my test fit minus tyres, I'll find the tyre levers and put tyres on them today
So with any luck I'll be driving around again come Monday :)
-Josh.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

webby wrote:so the timing for the balance shafts
:think: ? whats there to time ??? It doesn't matter the slightest which way they land in the bin.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
webby

Post by webby »

:blah: lol
I have a deadline, and I can't pick up an eliminator kit inside it :(
I'm leaving them in for now, I just want to get it back on the road asap. Plus, Dad's been lazy in setting up his lathe so I have no way to turn down the bottom shaft.
If it's not back together and running right by Monday I'll head into town and buy one :thumpsup:
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

I got a phone call from my old man earlier.........
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Sort of. He thinks the main jets in the carby are blocked as it stalls when you touch the throttle, the spark timing's out and half the vaccuum hoses aren't hooked up right, but it's still going, albeit VERY roughly :)
He'll get cracking on tuning when he's not too busy with farmwork, I'd do it myself but I'm pretty much flat out over the next week or so :(
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Okay, so maybe a bit premature on the "it lives" front. Dad had to pull the timing case back off because he forgot to do the relief valve bolt/cover thing on the oil pump up properly :facepalm:
I'm going out there today, hopefully we'll get it up and running properly by tonight :D
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Apparently being cheap and not spending the $70 to get the head machined was NOT a good idea, I took it for a drive over the road (with no brakes :/) and blew another head gasket :facepalm:
$108 for the machining and head gasket later, and it runs beautifully :D
Well, better than it did when I first got it anyway. It won't idle below 1k rpm, has a small exhaust leak and the I've bypassed the heater at the engine because it pisses water out into the drivers footwell but I can truthfully say......
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a couple of pics of the hole in the head gasket and a 13sec vid of it running, I'll post them up when I get back to my computer :)
Now to fix the brakes, adjust the clutch, find some fuel and take it home :)
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

So, it turns out that the dodgy kent that owned the car before me wasn't much for proper rust repairs :@
There's a 50c piece sized rust hole in the rear passenger quarter at the bottom corner of the door that he's stuffed with rags, covered with silastic and electrical tape then painted over :banh:
The discovery of which sparked a top to bottom rust hunt that turned up a couple of pinhead sized bubbles and lots of surface rust in the spare wheel well and lots of surface rust where the rear brake fluid reservoir has been leaking, but nothing major other than that one spot :)
It's all been scraped, sanded and painted roughly with killrust, looks like balls but it's not really noticeable unless you really look for it :thumpsup:
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Thinking about getting TE37V's once I get a proper job
IE:
Probably 15x8.5 and 9, -5 and -15, with 195/50 and 205/50
-Josh.