Frankenstein's Monster- '81 Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
GB_BB4C

Re: The GJ (mark II)

Post by GB_BB4C »

webby wrote:cool stuff. :thumpsup:
I'm gonna assume the centres are a reasonably straight swap, obviously the tailshaft flange will be different but everything else'll be the same/similar, yes?
Pull the axel's out, pull the centre out. Install the centre then the axel's. Pretty sure the flange is the same.
Pretty straight forward operation really. Dont forget to put oil back in the diff.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

webby

Post by webby »

thought so. Thanks mate, that's a huge help :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
webby

Post by webby »

shit, just remembered i'll need to correct the speedo :/
Ideas?

Also, i decided on Atlas Grey for the paint. Same grey as the VN SS.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
webby

Post by webby »

I still have no idea how I'll correct the speedo. Would the drive gear from the L300 I got the centre from work?

Oh, I drove this the other day. Finally. Still rattles, and I have a nasty suspicion it has a cracked piston, but it moved :D
It's low on compression in no.3 anyway so it's going to have to come out again. I have a 2L and narrow 5spd here so I'll likely just run that for a while and either build a decent EFI 2.6 or find an atmo DOHC 4G63 and convert that to RWD.
Good thing I bought that 4.6 centre lol
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

So... This is still a bucket.
Nothing much to report, other than that the retard at Repco ordered GE/GH balljoints instead of GJ-GN ones then tried to tell me they're the same part :facepalm:
Told them to stick it and went to the local parts shop instead.
Anywho. I'll report back on the weekend after I've actually made some progress.
-Josh.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Webby, Sorry if youve already answered this, But what exactly is your speedo doing??? if its too fast or too slow they make these speedo ratio gears or some little doohickey.

check out this http://www.speedometershop.com/ratio.html dunno if itll help, but you should be able to goto some auto elects, mechanics, and ask em if they have any, if not, ask em do they know anyone that works on dash clusters etc and they might be able to help you out, im getting one made for my lancer its only costin me $50
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
webby

Post by webby »

I'm going from a 3.3:1 final drive to a 4.6:1, so it'll be reading low (or high?) like a mofo.
It won't be as bad as it would if I wasn't using a 2L and the gearbox from my GE (which has a 3.9 rear), but it's still going to be enough to be a problem.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Uppus dateus
Done:
-2L is in, runs good. Has a Jap head, carb, intake and exhaust manifold/Z-pipe on it, don't know if they're actually any better or not but they were in better shape. Also has a stage 2 cam, no balance shafts and a fully balanced shortblock with new rings+bearings. Using the narrow KM132 from my GE, with a HD clutch from a petrol L200 (?).
-4.6 rear is also in. Bakes the inside rear in 2nd on tar if I give it a hiding :lol:
-Has a dodgy exhaust that I made myself from a couple old stock systems and some steampipe with a stick welder for a laugh.
-Dodgy CAI made from a TP Magna airbox with a gutted AFM and the end cut off, a carby hat from an L300 van and a Magna intake pipe. Intake pipe had a few splits, so it's completely wrapped in 100mph tape. Induction noise combined with dodgy exhaust makes it sound like a D16 Civic with a $10 pod.
-Now has a proper non-PS GJ-GL steering column, instead of the bastardised GJ PS/GH non-PS hybrid it had before.
-Bled the brakes, wore the surface rust off the rotors with a few hard stops. Could use slotted rotors and/or Starion brakes, as they fade a bit after five or six.
-Now has most of a GE-GH front end, as the original panels were far from straight. Still has the GJ grille and bumper but the guards and beaver panel are GE-GH. The bonnet is too, but they stayed the same from GE-GL so not really worth mentioning. The car is now blue, faded blue, white and weatherbeaten silver.
-Replaced every rubber bush in the car with either NOS rubber ones or polyurethane, did the balljoints while I was at it. Actually drives like a car now, instead of a sailing ship into a headwind. Also replaced the strut tops with NOS ones I found, still in the boxes/plastic wrapping, at the local tip.

Still to do:
-Shocks are munted. Require new ones. Will likely shorten the struts 40mm and run R31 shocks/R31 Pedders lowered springs up front, and TP Magna S/W shocks with lowered GE-GH Lovells springs rear. Will trim springs/add spring rubbers as required to keep it level.
-It peg-legs like a champ. I can either spend up and import an 80's vintage 1.5-way Ralliart LSD, most likely requiring rebuild, meant for a boxtype EX Lancer, spend up bigger and do an R31 Silo diff swap, or weld the diff. Or, I could be boring/gay and leave it.
-NO REAR SWAYBAR. These must have been a bit oversteery with one, because it's not there from factory.
-Put the stock exhaust back on. The current one's embarrassing, it sounds like a Honda. IE gay. Reasonably quiet at idle and just putting about, but sounds like the wet fart from hell at WOT.
-Balloon tyres. Currently has 185/65R14 Goodyear and Sime shopping-spec shitters, would like 185/55R14 Hero HZ-1 (same tyre as Federal 595SS, just cheaper. Because not brand tax).
-No rego. This will come once everything's done, and I'm not broke.

Piczorz, taken while I was messing about with my sister's new DSLR.
New (well, better) front
Extras

That's a 14x7 +0 on the rear, plenty of room inside and out. Thinking of going 16x10 +25 with 225/45 and guard work, maybe a small bolt-on flare, 16x8 +0 with 195/45 and guard work for the front.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

So, between my girlfriend just up and leaving me out of the blue, the resulting relapse of my depression and a trip to Wollongong to visit my sisters and clear my head, none of what I had planned for this past week actually got done.
I'll be home on the 26th, so I might get things done then.
-Josh.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

Mate your havin a bad run there mate I hope you get through your depression ok it is a horrible thing to have just unfortunate that most people dont understand how bad it can get all the best with it mate you can and will get through it regards Chris :thumpsup:
webby

Post by webby »

Thanks mate, I'll live. Just need to force myself to deal with it and keep busy. I've done it before, I can do it again :)
And here I was thinking I'd finally found a girl I could settle down with :roll:

Anyway. As it stands, this is actually pretty close to being ready to go for rego. I need to do tie rods/idler arm etc, as I didn't do them when I did the bushes and whatnot, and dig a workable set of rear spring rubbers out from somewhere so the rear doesn't sound like a plane crash when I hit a bump. It sits nicely (GE-GH Lovells 30mm lowered springs, no spring rubbers are another ~20mm), but it's noisy and tends to bottom out, so I'll have to do something about the bump stops too. Needs shocks, Mentioned that earlier iirc.
Front, I don't know. I'll probably just chop the springs so it's level after rego and drive it until I can shorten the struts to run an R31 insert, no idea what I'll replace the choppies with yet though. Probably 30mm Pedders springs.
-Josh.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished product :thumpsup:
webby

Post by webby »

You and me both, it's only been in the works since July 2009 :roll:

Anyway. I made up a little to do/done list for this, to keep track of where I'm at with it. Copypasta from AE86DC members rides thread:
To Do list:
-2L to go in- DONE
-4.6 rear to go in- DONE
-Exhaust- DONE, for now. Needs extractors and a decent 2.5" system.
-CAI of some description- DONE
-Replacement non-PS steering column- DONE.
-Bleed brakes- DONE.
-Sort the front end out (early guards/bonnet/beaver panel)- DONE. The car is now blue, faded blue, white and weatherbeaten silver.
-Bushes- DONE.
-Front suspension- PENDING. Will likely shorten the stock struts and run a HSD sleeve kit+SW20 rear inserts+9kg springs.
-Proper rear suspension- PENDING. Custom 7kg springs will be the go here, shocks might be a problem though. Double eye-mount FTL.
-Weld diff- PENDING.
-Rear swaybar- PENDING. These must have been a bit oversteery with one, because it's not there from factory.
-Decent tyres- PENDING.
-Rear wheels- PENDING. Likely end up with a pair of 14x8 -10 Hurricanes. If not, I'll buy a pair of MA61's to use as frontrunners.
-Rego- PENDING.

Maybe future stuff, depends on whether I keep it that long or not.

-Basic EFI turbro G54B. Stock rebuilt shortblock with Magna flat-tops and deleted balance shafts, M7 Magna head, G52B cam, Magna injection, VR4 injectors, VG30ET turbo, steampipe manifold, 450x280x75 cooler and some form of programmable ECU.
-If not turbo, a pair of 45DCOE's, a decent cam and 4-1 equal length headers.
-Starion g/box conversion.
-LSD diff swap. Looking at either R31 or F-series.
-Wheels. Would like 14x8 front/14x9 rear MkIII's or Wata's, although I'll probably end up buying a set of those Sakura copies.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Slight change of plans on this. 2.6 has turned out to be a piss easy fix, so that's going back in with a different set of rods (no.2 turned out to be flogged out in the big end just enough to keep it knocking, replacing them all just to be safe) and new big end bearings, maybe even rings while the pistons are out. Head, cam, intake+exhaust manifolds from the worked 2L currently in it are going on, no sense in putting the stock stuff back on when I have decent bits to replace it with.
Should be much better than the 2L, the extra torque should mean I won't have to rev it as hard to go places :)
-Josh.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

webby wrote:You and me both, it's only been in the works since July 2009 :roll:

Anyway. I made up a little to do/done list for this, to keep track of where I'm at with it. Copypasta from AE86DC members rides thread:
To Do list:
-2L to go in- DONE
-4.6 rear to go in- DONE
-Exhaust- DONE, for now. Needs extractors and a decent 2.5" system.
-CAI of some description- DONE
-Replacement non-PS steering column- DONE.
-Bleed brakes- DONE.
-Sort the front end out (early guards/bonnet/beaver panel)- DONE. The car is now blue, faded blue, white and weatherbeaten silver.
-Bushes- DONE.
-Front suspension- PENDING. Will likely shorten the stock struts and run a HSD sleeve kit+SW20 rear inserts+9kg springs.
-Proper rear suspension- PENDING. Custom 7kg springs will be the go here, shocks might be a problem though. Double eye-mount FTL.
-Weld diff- PENDING.Webby I dont think a car is ever finished as you just keep finding things to do or improve its just never ending good work though :thumpsup:
-Rear swaybar- PENDING. These must have been a bit oversteery with one, because it's not there from factory.
-Decent tyres- PENDING.
-Rear wheels- PENDING. Likely end up with a pair of 14x8 -10 Hurricanes. If not, I'll buy a pair of MA61's to use as frontrunners.
-Rego- PENDING.

Maybe future stuff, depends on whether I keep it that long or not.

-Basic EFI turbro G54B. Stock rebuilt shortblock with Magna flat-tops and deleted balance shafts, M7 Magna head, G52B cam, Magna injection, VR4 injectors, VG30ET turbo, steampipe manifold, 450x280x75 cooler and some form of programmable ECU.
-If not turbo, a pair of 45DCOE's, a decent cam and 4-1 equal length headers.
-Starion g/box conversion.
-LSD diff swap. Looking at either R31 or F-series.
-Wheels. Would like 14x8 front/14x9 rear MkIII's or Wata's, although I'll probably end up buying a set of those Sakura copies.
good work mate keep it up
webby

Post by webby »

Yeah, it's getting there :)
Going out on Tuesday to get a bit more done on this, replace those tie rod ends, put stock rear springs back in etc. Probably also get stuck into fixing up that 2.6 shortblock. Should hopefully have it driving again by next weekend :)
I'm in saving for rego mode now, shouldn't take too long provided I can control my impulse spending.

Anyway. Couple questions.
A) Rear swaybars. How would I go about mounting one, seeing as this didn't have one from factory?
B) Balljoint tapers. Would I be correct in assuming that they're the same taper from GE-GL? IE, could I bolt in GH struts and steering arms without the need to swap LCA's as well?
C) Magna flat tops. What sort of compression would I be looking at in an Astron I with a stock head, and would the valves clear the pistons?
D) Weber conversion. I have a couple 34ADMs here, one from an XE, the other from an XF. Which one would I use, and what exactly is involved in the conversion? I know about needing an adaptor plate, but what should I do about jetting? And how does one attach the throttle cable and fuel lines?
-Josh.
webby

Re: '81 Scorpion- Getting there. Slowly.

Post by webby »

Picked up a set of extractors for this. My sister's boyfriend picked them up for me off some guy in Wollongong and sent them home with my old man, cost me a grand total of $30.
The welding where it was attached to the last exhaust is horrendous, and they're not the best design-wise, but they'll be leaps and bounds ahead of the factory cast manifold. Just need to make up a section of pipe to attach them to the current exhaust (stock system with the front muffler removed), not ideal but it'll do until I can get a decent 2.5" system made up for it.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Got a fresh injection of funds coming up, so I should have this on the road in the next few weeks.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Mate gave me a factory JZZ30 turbo tonight, it's farking tiny lol.
Steel wheel, no shaft play, apparently good for 14psi of supermassive response. Should be fun :twisted:
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Gave up on the turbo idea, CBF making it work.

Just gonna do EFI, suspension, maybe a locker, and drive the wheels off it. Simple is best.
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Why not just get that sucker running and rego'd with a carb first, then worry about the other stuff later.
I could be wrong, but if finances are a bit on the short side, keep it as simple as possible and do the cosmetics and legals first.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

i agree with dave. get the car regoed and running and then worry bout efi etc later
webby

Post by webby »

Should probably have mentioned that that's the idea to start with... lol
That above is in general, in place of all those grand plans I had before.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Still haven't done anything with this, been too busy. Might get somewhere with it in the next couple weeks, depends on if I can stump up the money to buy this DASH-powered flatbody Starion I'm looking at or not. It's a bit rough, but that's never bothered me. Mechanically good though, couple of minor oil leaks but, well, it's an 80's Mitsubishi. They do that. lol :P
If so, this goes on the backburner while I tidy up the Starion. If not, this will be on the road again in the next month or so.
-Josh.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

forget fixing the body on the starion. dash engine into scorp (Y)
webby

Post by webby »

Not buying it anyway, guess the fact that I had no immediate plans to restore the thing made me a dreamer. Meh.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Heading out to the farm tomorrow, should have some progress to report by Monday if things go my way.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

So things didn't go my way, Nan took pretty ill on Friday so I had to stay home and look after her. No great hassle, I should be able to get out next weekend.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Can I assume that the Sigma lower trailing arms are the same as the Scorpion ones? Want to mount up a rear swaybar, and I'd rather avoid fabrication as much as possible because I weld like a mildly retarded chimpanzee with beer goggles on.
-Josh.
webby

Post by webby »

Oh, attempted to weld up the front half of the exhaust last weekend too. It's basically a set of 4-2-1 extractors with a 2" in/out 18" hotdog welded to the end, and a slip joint welded to the end of that to attach it to the rear half of the exhaust.
Didn't *quite* work. It's held together fine, no holes or anything, but there's a bit of cut/weld required so it lines up right. As it stands, the aforementioned slip joint is about 30mm below where the stock flange would be. Will get onto that this weekend.
-Josh.