Project 71

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.

Should Project 71 go ahead?

Yes, with some effort and money it will be sweet!
83%
No, Sell it to me
10%
No, Give it to me
3%
No, Waste of time and Money
3%

Total votes: 30

shuggy

Re: Project 71

Post by shuggy »

Galant_GT0 wrote:We have Sprint Auto Parts here in SA and you can actually go in there, ask for a gasket set, and get it, lol. Most Supercheap type shops wouldn't know what the fuck a gasket set is. Let alone have one in stock. I tried to buy new engine mounts from a Repco last week and was told the supplier did not stock any for GC/D Galant. Wankers.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Front-L-or-R-Eng ... 286.c0.m14
Project71

Post by Project71 »

wired a push button switch to the starter motor today and with ignition on the 1.3L and it turns over instantly, brilliant :) - still a problem between the two i was told it might be a relay, tonight research and tomorrows task is find out what a relay is :hit:

Thanks Wheelnut for the assistance in getting the engine starting. :thumpsup:

Went to the budgewoi wreckers today and picked up my 2.0L Astron engine for the engine part of Project 71, crank turns.

I took some photos, still in the process of moving house ill post them here later.

I am moving towards getting an oil change and rego on the car so i can attend the upcoming cruise day.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Following this build with great interest. Just don't get too burnt out too quickly mate. Time, although an enemy to all, is still your friend when it comes to car builds.

Make sure you get as many pics as you can through-out the build, you need something to pinpoint your loss of sanity ;)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

EzyRider wrote:Following this build with great interest. Just don't get too burnt out too quickly mate. Time, although an enemy to all, is still your friend when it comes to car builds.

Make sure you get as many pics as you can through-out the build, you need something to pinpoint your loss of sanity ;)
yeh too much too quickly = boredom and insanity ahha
A112H

Post by A112H »

I can't wait for my XMAS break so I can get too much done too quickly, lol
Build is looking fantastic, keep us up to date

Cheers
Jason
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Did an oil change on the galant, new king springs on the GH Sigma struts; 2 x new brake lines picked up ($80)

Waiting on new rubbers for front end and after closer inspection the control arm ball joints need replacing as they are full of dirt/grit unsure of their cost but am unsure with current commitments if they can be afforded this week.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

ball joints 20 ea, then just need a press ;)
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Ball joints cost me $57.00 ea and have been pressed in.

I will provide an update post soon with Pictures.
Project71

Post by Project71 »

During my two week holiday I have made some serious progress.

Placing the Galant on car stands and removing the wheels then changing doors over and replacing glass corners was a first step

The ball joints and linkage rubbers all needed replacing

Found some struts and purchased King Springs to suit and got some assistance from Wheelnut and tandanus on getting them on safely.

Stripped the thread on the brake line hose but using multigrips got it to seal back into the new brake line with little effort.

Pulled the brakes out and fiddled with the ignition trying to figure out why it won’t turn over the car – installed a push button starter -had a paddle pop.

While I was waiting for the Galant callipers to be re built I went hunting for the 2.0 Astron engine and found one for $150.00

The lucky Donor, ran out of rego in Jan 2009

Engine is labelled as dead but crank turns, turns out the engine is in good order.

A mate drove his GTO and took a look at my lil project car.

Started pulling the engine out of the Sigma, also find out the brake repair place want $400.00 for the callipers to be rebuilt – I cancel this and find some callipers on a GH sigma wagon and get those for $40.00.

The wrecking crew treat my project engine with care and respect.

At this stage I hit a lot of problems, I have the new tie end rods, ball joints struts and springs in but the new callipers I found on thee GH don’t fit the struts I have because the callipers are too big as they are off

GREEN STRUTS!

Turns out the sigma wagon I took the callipers from had them on it when I went to visit it the first time and I did not notice, I returned to get rotors and when was removing them I slipped on the strut and exposed them - I purchased the whole assembly and fitted them.

Finally day light! But not close enough, brakes are grabbing but wheelnut beds them in and no more problems.

That’s pretty much it at this time, i finished my two week holidays and am now abck at work :thumpsup:
Last edited by Project71 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Coming along nicely....
How long till it's rolling and cruise ready?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Project71

Post by Project71 »

still a little way to go, I need an accelerator pedal, mirror fitted, blue slip (fix what it finds), pink slip (fix what it finds) and rego, 1-2 months.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

If you have to get a blue slip (which means it's been out of rego for more than 3 months) then you don't need pink slip.
You only get pink slips for cars out of rego for less then 3 months.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Looking good.
Green struts - nice find.
Can't say I'm surprised by the antics of the local wrecking crew :D
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Thinking of getting one of these hood ornaments when i have the car completed

or

tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Only if you dont want to get it road-registered. I believe the RTA takes a very dim view of non-flexible hood-ornaments - dangerous to pedestians you know...
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Project71

Post by Project71 »

the RTA are constant obstacles to my joy latley...
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

If you dont like the galant pedal attached to the floor you can get a sigma one in their no probs and just grind the bit on the floor off, thats what i have on my gc. Sigma pedal bolts in but you may need to bend it up to suit...all very easy.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The accelorator Pedal,
Are they the same as a later model GC/ GD? I'll have a look and see if I have one.....

Dave.
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Thanks for the info, I will take a picture of the Pedal (borrowed from a GB) for you to view soon.

tandanus

Post by tandanus »

They are a flat pedal with 2 plastic clips at the base that clip onto a rod that protrudes from the floor, thru the carpet. It makes for a really neat look.
Be careful intalling (and even more careful removing) it. The clips are delicate - put a bit of detergent or grease on the rod to help it slide into the locating clips.
T.
John Ruskin
Project71

Post by Project71 »

tandanus wrote:They are a flat pedal with 2 plastic clips at the base that clip onto a rod that protrudes from the floor, thru the carpet. It makes for a really neat look.
Be careful intalling (and even more careful removing) it. The clips are delicate - put a bit of detergent or grease on the rod to help it slide into the locating clips.
T.
Thanks tandanus :)
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Hi All,

My first free time in two weeks since returning to work and i thought i would provide an update on the status and thoughts I have had.

The rust work will cost me approx $400.00 (that includes new bottom quarters) the rust would be cut from the bottom of the quarters and plated up; considering having the minor dents removed from the quarter panels while its off if the price is right. I think rust and body work is best left to a professional tradesman, any thoughts? Maybe I should do a little work or attempt it?

Had to by a new balist resistor and a set of points for the 1.2L

I am holding off getting it registered at the moment for two main reasons

1. I don't want to register it and have it smashed into
2. it is supposed to be a learning project and I do not want to rush it, this has been a very good decision, as members have been advising in these posts and PM'ing me - Slow and easy.

While I am waiting and saving cash I have

The cost to build the 2.0L engine with Pistons, Rings, Crank inspected, bearings and studs / bolts is $1200.00 approx - of course that's the start, still have to find a TR / TS Magna Head [M7 I believe is the best] I will be most likely looking for a new head as opposed to a wrecker cheapy.

The interior and seats are not the focus, as I am sure while there are plenty of choices to make there it might be the more fun aspect - the main aim is to get the GA running ugly but tidy.

Potentially another sway bar will be added, apparently sway bars are under rated and will help immensely with handling, either adding another or changing to a very large type?

Draft Plan of Steps

This is where I am hoping those of you who have completed are started on their projects can help me draft realistic steps that flow to the end result, I don't want to find myself in a cart before the horse scenario due to my inexperience.

NOTE:

Found this on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFLRLdzDsU youtube while searching for GA stuff, cant wait for my first cruise!
Also found this Aussie add which I am sure most of you have seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JQtEmBAhVg

I purchased replacement clear blinkers from a member which will help with blue slip.

Wheelnut has been a great help, the Galant has always had "funny" power issues after adding a new earth for me they have all disappeared - forever grateful for all his help over the past month; it helps immeasurably to have someone to talk to face to face.

Speedo connector at the gear box keeps coming loose, unsure of way forward here; i am being super gentle and not tightening it beyond finger tight.

That's enough rambling for now, the main point of the post is to update you all that Project 71 is still in full swing in molasses.

Also I have decided I will at some stage go with the Horse hood ornament! :)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

sounds good mate, just fell into a pile of u know what up to my neck with this new coupe - but i think it will be worth it in the end
keep us updated ;)
Project71

Post by Project71 »

yesterday afternoon i decided it was time to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes regarding the rust on the bottom of the quarters, I remove the front guards which was a huge effort; the glue stuff they used was made to last!

As you can see I am already giving the GA the red carpet treatment!

Left Side - Rust

Right Side - Rust

My mate with the XY said it is not very bad at all considering the age and that most cars have issues in these areas and that it is not to advanced and is most likley an easy fix; we are going to organize a time and cut away the the area and see what needs to be done.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

at least its all one big flat area, not too bad
Project71

Post by Project71 »

shuggy wrote:at least its all one big flat area, not too bad
Hi Shuggy,

Thats what i was happy about, I am hoping that the entire rust issue will be an almost non event considering these are the only two spots; however I am wondering how far up it is going...
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

good to see your still using your safety sandles. doesnt look so bad on a proper sized screen. mig it up.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
Project71

Post by Project71 »

I was told there is a place in Canberra that sells fibre glass front quarters and bonnets for the GA, does anyone know of this place or a similar place?
Project71

Post by Project71 »

wheelnut wrote:good to see your still using your safety sandles. doesnt look so bad on a proper sized screen. mig it up.
I will buy you a pair them :) your always so jealous!
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Getting the hole with the captured nut in the right place and at the right depth is the bugger. But it looks like you'll have good samples to go by once you cut them out. Torana68s done this too - I once had links to pics of his work - nice. :thumpsup:
T.
John Ruskin