Project 71

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.

Should Project 71 go ahead?

Yes, with some effort and money it will be sweet!
83%
No, Sell it to me
10%
No, Give it to me
3%
No, Waste of time and Money
3%

Total votes: 30

Project71

Project 71

Post by Project71 »

Hi All,

I am 34 Years old not unfamiliar with cars but not very knowledgeable on the topic of cars, engines etc

This is my first post here, I am glad to be here.

This thread is about a 1971 “Galloping Ant” GA Galant (Sedan) last registered in 2003 and currently Driveable with 2 spots of rust on the lower front quarter panels that I am currently trying to decide if I will

1. Sell the car (Which has spares as well Engine block, Gearbox and boxes of parts)
2. Restore the car for Sunday drives, minimal works done
3. Restore the car with Lots of chrome and fit newer model Brakes and engine etc (which I am assured can be done with little to no changes?) and head to the summer-nats

I am curious what you folk all think as I would like to get an objective and realistic opinion of the reality of retro fitting this old car with a newer twin cam engine (Turbo?)

When time allows I will post pictures of the car, if I decide to commence with “Project 71” (which will depend a lot on the feedback I receive here) I will use this thread as the projects page. Project 71 is a mixed effort of occupying my mind and learning more about engines as to be more competent with vehicle repairs.

I hope to receive a lot of response negative or positive posted in a constructive way.

Thanks

Project 71
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: Project 71

Post by EVL076 »

2.6 injected turbo, manualised transbraked 3800 stalled powerglide, decent brakes, flat black with all the chrome work and it will be sweet as

oh hang on, thats what im doin :mrgreen:
Image Image
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Thanks for the reply EVLO76,

The only thing i didn't understand was "manualised transbraked 3800 stalled powerglide" hehe

I am curious to find out from anyone who knows about my query regarding retro fitting and the ease of fitting newer model car parts to the 1971 GA, perhaps the right person could give me a couple of car models to start me off. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Project 71
Last edited by Project71 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Does anyone know of a workshop manual for the GA 1971 Galant that I can download please?
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

voted no give it to me haha, as evl said efi
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

I vote go ahead, but not necessarily efi 2.6.
For drag racing its the most 'bang for your buck' that you can possibly get from these cars.. but I'd rather see something slightly more unusual
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Project71

Post by Project71 »

EVL076 wrote:2.6 injected turbo, manualised transbraked 3800 stalled powerglide, decent brakes.
Hi EVOL76,

Found this thread of yours, http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1686 - a lot of work and effort, what was your end dollar price?

Can you be more specific regarding the engine Model you used?

What brakes did you go with?

I am looking at 4G54 Magna?, this is from initial searches - any thoughts?

To add more information from what i want can be

I am looking to build a cruising car (not into 1/4 Mile - at least for now) out of the GA and give it something to backup the look, I am thinking at least turbo.

Looking for direct opinions on engines etc for me to research and learn.

Thanks

Project71
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

Project71 wrote:
EVL076 wrote:2.6 injected turbo, manualised transbraked 3800 stalled powerglide, decent brakes.
Hi EVOL76,

Found this thread of yours, http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1686 - a lot of work and effort, what was your end dollar price?

Can you be more specific regarding the engine Model you used?

What brakes did you go with?

I am looking at 4G54 Magna?, this is from initial searches - any thoughts?

To add more information from what i want can be

I am looking to build a cruising car (not into 1/4 Mile - at least for now) out of the GA and give it something to backup the look, I am thinking at least turbo.

Looking for direct opinions on engines etc for me to research and learn.

Thanks

Project71
a powerglide is a 2 speed auto box.
manualised - makes it a manual, ie: if u take of in "D", you are actually taking off in top/2nd gear
transbrake is a device that when activated, holds 1st gear and reverse gear together at the same time
when u let the button go, it releases reverse gear, and gives everything to 1st gear
in principle, its sort of like dumping the clutch...
3800 stally, is a torque converter that allows you to hold the brake and get around 3800 revs on board before it powers the rear wheels.

i have lost track of how much money i have spent, its been thru 3 re shells... long story, but its around the 10k mark in total.

bottom end of the motor is out of a GJ sigma.
head is a magna M6 casting - roller rockers
its easier, from what i can gather, to use a sigma bottom end, rather than the magna.
you can use the magna set up, but there is a little bit of stuffing around to do it.

rear brakes on mine will be VS commy, as thats what the diff im getting chopped down is from
an upgrade to them will be on the cards later down the track

currently im still running the std galant fronts, but that will be dealt with once i get the efi set up and going.
i havent decided what i will do for the fronts just yet...
Image Image
Project71

Post by Project71 »

I have a painter coming up to my place to look at my Galant to check the two spots of rust and to evaluate the type of effort needed regarding respray required (Bare Metal or not) for the cost of a few beers, cheering.

Depending on the price I was considering getting inside and out side done in an effort "to do it once" and find any potential rust areas - don't know color yet (and engine bay painted white) with sound reduction "stuff" sprayed (or laid) on floor pan, any thoughts?

I will try and post photos tonight if i get home and there is enough light.
stealth

Post by stealth »

mate if your a dont mind waiting around to buy the bits you need
for the right money
you can go 4g63bt 2.0lt twincam turbo like evo 3's
for under 5 grand easy and consider that you'll need a diff that will hold
and a g/boxs front brake upgrade and a paint job sweet
then youll have a under 1000kg car with over 250hp
good fun in anyones book
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

basically what he is sayin if you wana do it up for race its gona cost you a lot of money, a LOT of sweat and a shitload of tears
you can say oh i will just do a engine conversion and that it, but it never stops there. if you get a high power engine you need better brakes, if engine is heavier you need new struts, may as well convert to 5 stud while your there. oh and since you done that may as well get a stronger diff with disk brakes, ah screw it may as wel get coilovers.. etc
and then there is the stuff u decide to do to the engine ;) (cam, pistons, crank, porting etc,)
then you check your account and wonder where 20k just went :P
best of luck its up to youu

very rewarding either way
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

stealth wrote: you can go 4g63bt 2.0lt twincam turbo
froth :P
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Hi All thanks for the input. I don't mind the escalation of the rebuild as long as I only need to do it once and its done right, which is why I have come here to ask those questions you have all probably answered 100's of times before.

I have a few ways at this point i can go

1. Keep the engine I have and learn on maintaining that 1.3L and build another engine with the spare engine (minus the head) I have and perhaps turbo it. In the mean while repaint and change brakes diffs etc and take it easy, getting a respray, re wiring etc

2. I was informed that some cars like the Colt, newer model Galants, Magna and others have parts that fit onto the GA Galant with no changes required, I could perhaps get a list of those parts and put them onto the GA, appreciate any input I can get here. For example perhaps i can get a Pajero with a 4G54 engine and use its power steering and other bits? or the EVO3 brakes and engine..so much to filter right now.

3. Sell it and buy a small Island :)
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

I cant help ya out with GA/GB info mate, im a GC/GD type of guy :lol: :lol:

but i wouldnt waste the time with the 1300cc monster
even a std n/a 2.6 would be fun in your car..

buy a couple of 2.6's. Put 1 in now and leave it standard
build a monster with the other 1 :mrgreen:
Image Image
Project71

Post by Project71 »

EVL076 wrote:std n/a 2.6 would be fun in your car..

buy a couple of 2.6's. Put 1 in now and leave it standard
build a monster with the other 1 :mrgreen:
Does anyone have a few suggestions as to what standard engines i could get that will slot into the GA?

Thanks
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

4g63 twin cam,doing it allready to a ga galant, massive job lots of modifying! If you can do most of the mods yourself, it'll cost you a shit load! Just think before you leap, Good luck! :D My opinion on 4g5? motors is: f!@#en ancient boat anchors!!!!!!!!Worth more as scrap steel, dont waste your time. i did!!!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
Project71

Post by Project71 »

GLANT wrote:4g63 twin cam,doing it allready to a ga galant, massive job lots of modifying! If you can do most of the mods yourself, it'll cost you a shit load! Just think before you leap, Good luck! :D My opinion on 4g5? motors is: f!@#en ancient boat anchors!!!!!!!!Worth more as scrap steel, dont waste your time. i did!!!
Thanks GLANT - I will attempt to do a lot of pro / con before purchasing a motor - plenty of work to do before then.
Project71

Post by Project71 »

GLANT wrote:dont waste your time. i did!!!
GLANT - I would be grateful for any pitfalls from the little to the big in (as much) any detail you care to provide (from anyone for that matter) considering we are both doing GA's.

Thanks
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

4g63 hands down for sure though as stealth enlightened :D
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Do you want it to go fast?
Just spray it, drop it, white walls and venetian blind. Old Skool Cool. Sunday cruiser. 8-)
You turn more heads going slow......
Post some pics, I want to see it.....
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Apologies for the Camera Phone quality I will upload better shots tomorrow

Introducing the (GA) Galloping Ant!

Project71

Post by Project71 »

Regarding the 4G63

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/index.php?cPath=326_424 (Future reference for me)

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Mits ... ticle.html

Should i buy a half car from a jap wrecker or find a complete car for cheap, the reason i ask is wont i need all the pollution gear and wiring looms?
Project71

Post by Project71 »

75wagon wrote:Do you want it to go fast?
Just spray it, drop it, white walls and venetian blind. Old Skool Cool. Sunday cruiser. 8-)
You turn more heads going slow......
Post some pics, I want to see it.....
My driving style has always been be first off at the lights get to the speed limit and then cruise, I'm not really a speed head or a dragster.

I owned a Gemini and was going to Turbo that - it got stolen

I owned a a 3.0 Nissan Skyline with an RB30 (or 25 i forget i am sure it was RB30) and loved that car, un kill-able and i tried, was going to do that up - life got busy

So i always wanted to turbo something, I would be happy to keep it on the lowest PSI and just cruise and occasionally off at the lights!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

you got one hell of a project ahead of you
just remember there is no point stickin in a killer engine if everything else is stock
handling is more important
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

^^^^ Agreed ^^^^^
Handling and brakes first.
And yeah - a big job, especially if you get the whole drive-train up to 4G63BT worthy specs.
Personally, for my money, I like a warmed over 4G32 :D Sounds heaps better than 4G4x or 4G63B too.
PM sent.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh i love the gargling sound of the 4g3x's
and they are build to be in that can, wont blow anythin up, it uses stock everything, and easliy licenced.
a\it alldepends on money, time, and will
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

shuggy wrote:you got one hell of a project ahead of you
just remember there is no point stickin in a killer engine if everything else is stock
nothing wrong with that mate... every turbo galant i have had has been std everything else :lol:

shuggy wrote:handling is more important

how they handle is decided by your right boot :mrgreen:
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

EVL076 wrote:nothing wrong with that mate... every turbo galant i have had has been std everything else :lol:
haha yea understood, just wasnt sure how how much work hes up for
i know how much work i had to do and i only got a g spec galant haah
Project71

Post by Project71 »

Thanks all,

Its comments and input like yours that makes me glad i chose this forum for Project 71.

I understand that this will be a huge project and there is no great rush, Project 71 is aimed at getting experience with engines and at least has to be 60% fun.

The reality of hard work and dollars is daunting but not show stopping, my only fear is not getting the right information on what parts from what can fit on my GA with zero changes; I am not opposed to mods but would much prefer to NOT have cut and weld if it can be avoided.

Unless someone can suggest otherwise, my first step is to (possibly strip) get the GA acid dipped / sand blasted and repainted (except for the engine bay) and then move on from there.

Thanks

Project71
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

shuggy wrote:i only got a g spec galant haah
got one of those myself :mrgreen:

its gonna come down to how much useful info you can find
one of the best things for me doing stuff to mine is melv (galantman) had no one to tell him yeah thats rights or no thats a waste of time/effort/cash if you do it that way.. so i consult him when i come up with an idea, as most likely, he has tried/pioneered it with his galant, and he can tell me if it was epic fail or if it was win :mrgreen:

most of the crew here will guide you in the right direction, some will guide you in the direction that they would go
sometimes its not the right direction to go, only you can find the right way to go about it

like me, i fucked around with carby turbo set ups a few times, now im going efi, which i prob should have done from the begining
the coin i have spent on the carb set ups, would have paid for the efi set up easy :lol:
the biggest "fear" going efi was the price of an ecu, but i got offered a tuned/running haltech with loom, ready to pretty much plug n play
for a good price.. granted its not the brand new model, and its basic as, but it works and will get me going for now
Image Image