GE front end on GJ scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
tubby

GE front end on GJ scorpion

Post by tubby »

Where did all the builds go? this was a treasure trove, although with photobucket tanking it it lost a lot.....
But the forum is back.....ish, Ive found a way to use google photos to host so heres a build thread.... ish on my GE front end GJ scorp
Picked up the shell minus an engine and gearbox for $250 delivered! had a spare couple 1/4 panels and bits for a GE and always wanted to see a GE front end on a scorp so i saw my opportunity and took a swing. Heres a before and after for a taste will add some more down the track

How it started
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
tubby

Re: GE front end on GJ scorpion

Post by tubby »

How its going

tubby

Post by tubby »

Guess i will start with the first issue first. Was never a fan of the GJ-GN scorpion front ends. To be honest Ive owned two GH scorpions, which I loved. I dislike the front end, tail lights, shorter rear windscreen, interior and side profile of the later scorpions. I only bought it because it was cheap and I wanted something I didn't care about I could chop up.
So heres the pics of chopping the front and welding recklessly, then the fibreglass rear lights I made from scratch. Ive never made stuff with fibreglass before so it was painfully slow and arduous but I like the results over the standard lights.
tubby

Post by tubby »

heres some progress pics on the tail lights.
tubby

Post by tubby »

I didnt take photos of the magna efi build, but thats been done a thousand times so no big deal there. I used a modified VS commodore plastic air intake that you can see crossing over the front of the engine and a modified air box from the same car as its square and was easy to use an old battery tray to mount it.
But one thing I found interesting was the length and rear profile of the bonnet on the scorpions is the same as the ge/sigma wagons

I also decided to use the magna A/C pump for efficiency so threw on the bracket and subsequent ac unit. meaning I had to move the alternator.
Havent plumbed the ac pump yet but heres a pic for no real reason...
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

love it Tubby that front end is perfect job well done mate :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: