Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
leigh7005

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by leigh7005 »

whats the power difrence over the carbie u just cant tell in a auto magna coz they all have gay autos
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

It has been 4-5 years since I have driven a carbie sigma. When the gn was carbie still, I started it up a couple times, and that was about it. Earlier I said that my GJ GSR with Astron I and BW 5sp manual did 0-100 in 14 seconds. Took a heap of tries to get it that low. The GN with EFI did 10-11 sec on my second run with the auto in there. If I tried harder, I could get it to 100 faster with the auto, and should be able to take another 1-2 sec off that with a manual. The last car I has was a 1991 VN S2 Commodore V6. That was getting 9-10 sec 0-100 times. The L27 in the Commodore had a bit more power in the lower rpm. The 4g54 takes off really well after around 3,000rpm. The L27 also redlined just under 5,000rpm, and the 4G54 is good for up to 6,000rpm. When I had the GJ, a crappy VN would easily out run it, but I'd say just a 'stock' Sigma with EFI would keep up easily. For a better comparison, might have to look around for 0-100 times of a carbie Astron II. IIRC, carbie is 72 kw, and EFI is 98, 102 if on RON 95. EFI also gets to it's max power and torque rpm sooner than the carbie.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cottees wrote:
Test fit with the 'good' spoiler.
I like the spoiler but I think it needs to be body colour. In black it looks like an aftermarket bolt on item, IMHO
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Galant_GT0 wrote:In black it looks like an aftermarket bolt on item, IMHO
This is where I got the idea for the black spoiler:

I am in 2 minds about it. I do agree, it does sorta look aftermarket, but with the black on the bumpers, the underside of the car and the rear garnish, it compliments them. I can always spray it the same as the body, but I'll keep it black for now.
leigh7005 wrote:whats the power difrence over the carbie u just cant tell in a auto magna coz they all have gay autos
On the way home from work, I took a vid of the Sigma going from 0-80 that can be used as comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UC1MFfnVJw
A112H

Post by A112H »

Seems to go okay, sounds pretty good too. And sounds like you were rocking out too :lol:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Seems to go okay, sounds pretty good too. And sounds like you were rocking out too :lol:
That was the stock AWA/Clarion Radio/Cassette cranking on aftermarket 4" speakers. It was on the radio since I don't know where my cassettes have gone. As for the sound, the entire exhaust is stock, but the Ramflo filter + the intake does make it sound gruntier.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I got out the camera and took some more pics of the car.

I also went past Profix while I was out. There is 2 filler points on the back of my compressor, so they can use the unblocked one. I also asked about extractors while I was there. They quoted $750 supplied and fitted for a set of Lukey extractors. A little steep if I do plan on changing to a turbo exhaust.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

tyre shine your bumpers and the new blackness of the spoiler wont look so out of place,
they look abit faded in the last pic :thumpsup: or sillicone spray.. i think tyre shine has detergents in it

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

With the idea of keeping the stock pin striping, but wanting it blue instead of gold, I bought some pin striping. I wasn't going to put it on the car till I got all the panels looking good, but since my mum's dog used it as a chew toy, I decided to put some on to see what it looks like.

The stock pin striping stops at the rear door, but I wanted it to continue the line of the car, similar to that special Galant. Can't remember the name of it right at the moment. the curve is pretty sharp, and the pin striping tape doesn't want to do that line, but will fix it later.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I think I need a new battery. The current one I have has a case of the squirts.

On a quick note, just filled the car up again after 260.5km, and it took 28.121L. That works out to around 10.8L/100km.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I had the problem that when I turned the AC on, either the AC pulley clutch could be on, or the blower fan could be on, not both. After some advice from 84GKSIG, I replaced the coil resistor thing inside the blower, and now it works. As you can see, the one I had in there was stuffed.

I wanted to put some speakers in the rear of the car, but I didn't want some new looking speaker surrounds, and didn't want any branding on them either. I found some in a GJ SE that looked like it came with them from factory. The mount points for the original speakers were not far out enough to fit after market speakers, so I took them out, and the 6" speakers sat in them ok.

Then the top of the speaker surrounds just fit on top.

Since the head unit was still in the car, I grabbed that as well. Thought that it would probably be better at driving 4x speakers than the one I have in the car at the moment.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Just tried putting a Magna Alternator into the GN since the one that was in there was fluctuating voltage all over the place. It isn't going to be a simple bolt in, so I'll leave it till later. I ended up just putting in another voltage regulator into the existing alternator, and that seems to have fixed it. It is now stable at just under 14v when running.

Once that was all done, I wanted to give the car a good rev to see if it was going to stay stable. When someone mentioned that the Magna ECU could have a rev limiter, I decided to give it a test. It looks to bounce off 5,400 - 5,500 rpm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbKqXcOY-w
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

yep they have a rev limiter at about 5500
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

My old Elante certainly revved higher then that. It used to see 6000 every now and then. I once took off from a set of lights in a hurry and dropped it down a gear (auto). Accidentally went to Low instead of 2nd. Tacho hit 7000rpm before I realised that it was in the wrong gear. :banh:

One of my mates is into Magna's and may have had a few illegal drags in a fairly standard (exhaust, filter, etc) Magna. Never noticed a rev limiter then. :hit:
Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN GSR Build

Post by Cottees »

It has been a while since I have done an update.

On the 30th of Dec last year, I used the Sigma to tow a trailer to help my brother move. It was a good stress test to see if there was anything wrong with my EFI setup. During the towing, the Sigma passed the 2,000km mark of running EFI. I ended up doing around 150-200km of driving that day, and around half of that was while it was still around 40C outside. The Sigma towed the trailer no problems. As for cooling, it got quite hot, but the temp needle stayed around half way, and max went to 3/4. I usually drive with no shoes on, and it became a little uncomfortable to drive like that since I could feel the heat of the exhaust though the floor. The trans tunnel also got quite warm too. A drink I had in the centre console got warmed up because of it. But all in all, it did it without breaking. Well... except for what I did to it.

During the trip, I couldn't see out of the side mirror, so I leaned over to adjust it, and pulled a little too hard.

Then later on I accidentally elbowed the lock button.

Then a couple days later I noticed that the intake elbow is leaking again, so I took it out, tried fixing it, and made it worse.

You can see here how crap the original fibre glassing was.

So now the Sigma has been off the road for almost 2 weeks now. I should be able to make a new and better intake elbow for the Sigma in the next week or so.

I have been planning how exactly I'll be making the elbow, and I have decided on all aluminium this time.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Let the fun* begin!

*Swearing. Lots and lots of swearing.
cozer82

Post by cozer82 »

why dont you just make up two plates and go to ur exhaust shop get 90 degree mandrel bent 3'' pipe cut it to suit and weld it up and paint it will never leak or fall apart, even get 180 bend, cut it till it fits and mount the throttle body over the rocker cover, you can mount the throttle body any where(out the bonnet :D ) just have to lengthen the wires.....just a thought (the exhaust shop that does my work would slap dat up in bout 1 hour and cost not much......
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the 3" exhaust is the best option, besides moving it to the front that is. That picture you have there will cause some massive turbulance in the induction cycle, I think a 90 degree bend to mirror you fibreglass set up would only be like $30, weld some plates on each end and job done forever.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

ok, I got stuck in and started cutting.

Traced the basic shape from the base plate of the Steel/fibre glass elbow.

Quite rough, but that is why I didn't cut exactly where it needed to go.

Hole drilled in the Plenum plate. Used an old throttle body gasket to get the holes in the right place.

All the holes line up well, +-1mm.

Plenum plate tidied up a little.

Repeat for the Throttle Body plate, and I am done for now.

I was a little further out with one of the holes on the Throttle Body plate, but it is all fixed now.
cozer82 wrote:why dont you just make up two plates and go to ur exhaust shop get 90 degree mandrel bent 3'' pipe cut it to suit...
Galant_GT0 wrote:I think the 3" exhaust is the best option...
3" wont fit. 2.5" is the size of the Throttle Body + Plenum opening anyway.
Galant_GT0 wrote:That picture you have there will cause some massive turbulance in the induction cycle....to mirror you fibreglass set up...
The picture is pretty much a rough drawing which is what it looks like under the fibre glass, but with a 2 piece base instead of a 1 piece bent base.

I have the base plates done, but now it is onto the 'pipe' part. I have 2 options I am thinking of. One is to fashion a pipe shape out of some 0.5mm aluminium I have here now. The other is to get a 2.5" bent aluminium pipe. The bent pipe would be the neater of the 2 options. There is someone on ebay that sells bent aluminium piping, but I have not bought from them yet as I should look locally first.

In order to give the pipe and the Throttle Body clearance from the firewall, I'd have to cut the pipe like this :

This is the ebay auction I was talking about. It might just be cheaper to go through them :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... _978wt_899
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

i got a pretty good feeling this ones gonna work a treat not to mention the extra strength due to the thicker material. Cant wait to see it all welded up now.
M.B :thumpsup:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I now have a 2.5" aluminium pipe to finish off the the second version of the elbow.

Since the elbow arrived shortly before I had to go to work, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to do anything with it.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have the morning off, so I have made a start on the new elbow.

First cut done, was a little crooked, but wasn't too bad. Nothing the angle grinder can't fix.

Second cut. I cut a little out of what I needed, but more of so there was room for error since I can grind it back if need be.

Ok all done. This should hold, right??

Test fitting in the car to make sure everything is going ok.

I have plenty more to do, like:
- Get everything to sit flush with each other
- Make room for 2 of the bolts to pass the pipe either grinding the pipe back a little, or bending the pipe
- Cut and trim the bolt struts
- Work out how to bolt the throttle body to the aluminium plate
- Cut out part of the plenum flange to make room for the throttle body bolts
- Weld it all together
- Trim the flanges to make it look nicer
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I got a start on some welding of the new elbow. I did a pretty poor job at the first part, but have learnt heaps.

For the problem of how to bolt the throttle body to the plate, I came up with this idea.

I ended up welding them to the throttle body plate. It isn't perfect, and needs slight repairing, but it is working.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Why didn't use use a thicker piece of aluminium for the flange? You could drill and tap the threads into it for the throttle body. Would look a lot neater and less chance of leaks too.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

C_Fernance wrote:Why didn't use use a thicker piece of aluminium for the flange? You could drill and tap the threads into it for the throttle body. Would look a lot neater and less chance of leaks too.
Thickest I could find was 3mm in a large enough sheet to make the flanges. I could have got up to 4.5mm in thinner strips. If need be, I can always make another one later in thicker stuff. But with thicker stuff, I'd borrow a MIG or TIG welder to weld it.

More crappy welding, and a burnt table.

I got the 2 pieces together after the 3rd attempt. It looks some what ok, but I can tidy it up after everything is together.

Now I just have to trim the pipe to fit.

Lesson of the day: If you are dealing with 700C+ stuff, wear shoes. A piece of the welding rod fell off, and got stuck between my toes. Please excuse the hobbit foot in the photo.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Did some test fitting to make sure things are coming together properly. With the base plate bolted to the throttle body, I dropped it twice onto cement. It bent the corners a little, but no broken welds or any major damage.

Showing the part of the plenum plate I cut out, and why I cut it out. Didn't have to cut that deep, but is ok though.

Where the bolts will go.

Test fit into the Sigma. Has plenty of clearance from the firewall. Would have attached the throttle body, but the throttle body plate is still too big and the TPS and where the accelerator cable attaches foul on it. When I trim it properly, it'll clear it fine.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Just a *little* trimming to go.

:facepalm:
It isn't too bad, it is fixable.

Another test to fitment.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Lesson of the day: If you are dealing with 700C+ stuff, wear shoes. A piece of the welding rod fell off, and got stuck between my toes.

ahhhhh between the toes, thats not cool.

its looking good soo far though, its finally happening :thumpsup:

M.B :thumpsup:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Yesterday I got sick of waiting to get the Sigma running with the new elbow, so I quickly patched the old one. It ran ok, but it when I got to 80, it didn't want to stop accelerating. Found out this morning that what happened was the kick down cable got stuck in the spring on the throttle body, and stopped the butterfly from closing properly.

While waiting, impatiently, for welding supplies to finish off the new elbow, I decided to clean up the power steering setup to get it ready to put into the GN. It did need a clean, quite a bit of crap came off it.

Once I get it cleaned up completely, I'll give it a quick rub over with sandpaper, and give it a quick spray with black rust kill paint.
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

goes to show another way to skin the proverbial efi cat mate, i'm impressed.

Lookin forward to seeing how the elbos and final install look all works out :)
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration