Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
TVM006

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by TVM006 »

LOL DW... GN.. :facepalm:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

TVM006 wrote:LOL DW... GN.. :facepalm:
LOL, yeah, it's a GN. but that header is on the Astron II engines since it has a cat underneath it, and that hole on top is an air injection port. The O2 sensor sits loosely in that hole, and the large bolt that holds the air injection pipe into that hole fits nicely over top of the O2 sensor, and holds it their firmly. It appears to work ok since the ECU is yet to complain about the O2 sensor.

You can see the air injection still in this pic :

O2 sensor sitting on the hole :

With the bolt holding it in place :
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I was doing some adjusting before taking the Sigma out for a drive tonight, and found out that the accelerator cable bracket's thread has stripped. That is why the accelerator cable kept slipping. It is a modified Sigma bracket, so I'll have to pick up another from U-Pull-It soon.

I have cleaned and painted the grill, and is looking nice now. I also sprayed the Mitsi badge. I masked it off, and it came out looking very good, but there is some slight over spray on it still which I am not happy with.

Also did the lower grill, but it is hard to see in this photo.

I have another bumper that I am currently cleaning up and painting, so that should be on the car soon.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate grill looks really nice and clean and brand new (H) shes looking happier and happier every day :D
M.B :thumpsup:
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Cottees wrote:
TVM006 wrote:LOL DW... GN.. :facepalm:
LOL, yeah, it's a GN. but that header is on the Astron II engines since it has a cat underneath it, and that hole on top is an air injection port. The O2 sensor sits loosely in that hole, and the large bolt that holds the air injection pipe into that hole fits nicely over top of the O2 sensor, and holds it their firmly. It appears to work ok since the ECU is yet to complain about the O2 sensor.

You can see the air injection still in this pic :

O2 sensor sitting on the hole :

With the bolt holding it in place :
Yep.. Love your idea, may use it myself if Plan A doesn't work :thumpsup:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Decided to put some more of the interior back in.

New vs old crash pad.

Got most of the interior back in. Have to get a stereo wired up. Also have to find the latch bracket for the glove box so it'll close.

Another shot of the Sigma's shiny grill.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The Sigma ticked over to 177,777 kms today. Still running well too.

A112H

Post by A112H »

I just saw it around the shops, looks good. Still running okay then?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Yeah, been driving it to work. At least makes the commute to work fun. Now that I have fixed up things, made sure the tyres are at the right pressure :banh: it is not too bad to drive. Not going to do too much more before the cruise though. Just going to put on the better front bumper and put in a radio. The only real issue I have is the headlights seem to dim randomly. I think it could be something to to with the alternator. If it turns out to be that, I have a spare Magna one.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

After driving around 210km since Sunday, I filled up the tank again. It took around 29L to fill it up. That works out to be 13.08L/100km. Not too bad, but not too good either.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cottees wrote:That works out to be 13.08L/100km.
I'd have thought it would be a lot better then that?
That's what my wagon gets with the No.5 cam and the twin carbs (but it isn't tuned properly?)

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I'll see how it goes this week.

Starting to fix up the 'good' bumper I have.

Got the first new bush for the Sigma's front end.
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

how much diffrence power wise is she? from my experiance with magnas the are not very fuel efficent
webby

Post by webby »

I used to get 550km/tank out of my old TP, it had extractors and a mild cam and I flogged the living shit out of it day in day out. Took it like a Toyota/slut :P
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

'Took it like a Toyota/slut'

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (H)
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I finally got myself a GSR front spoiler. It just needs a little fixing. How did I get it? That is a story for another thread.

I decided to draw up the GSR logo so I can get a decal printed up since the one on my spoiler is a little damaged.

Looks good, so I printed it out to make sure it was all the right size.

Right size, but I made a mistake in the 'G'.

Went back and fixed it.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

very nice work with the decal man :thumpsup: i can already see a line up forming up for these!

GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

should make a few of them gsr things up :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Anyone got a picture of one of these that isn't damaged?
Are there really a curves on the inside of the R on the straight side?

It looks like they are square on this one? But it's very small?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

75wagon wrote:Anyone got a picture of one of these that isn't damaged?
There is this pic :

Also, you are showing the first pic of the logo. The second one that I fixed shows how the 'G' should be :

It is hard to see in the above pic, but the 'G' in the revised pic is correct:

Still would be good to get a closer more detailed shot of an undamaged one to make sure the logo is perfect.

....At a second look, you are right, the 'R' is not correct.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Finally got around to taking the front spoiler off the GN. It isn't looking too bad at the moment.

Still have some more fixing though.

Got a head unit installed today. Will now be able to crank some fully sik treble at the cruise this weekend.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I got bored, so I graphed out the speeds my Sigma would do in the gears on a BW40 and KM132 along the rev range. It is also taking into account that I have 175/75 r14 wheels, and my diff is 3.42:1.

BW40

KM132
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The last week the Sigma did 12.44L/100km. Not that good, but it is better than last week. I also was running the car for a while to see if the AC was working. It also should get better when I convert to Manual.

Put the fixed bumper on the car. Still not happy with it. Every fly in the area seemed to want to land on it when I was trying to paint it.

Went for a drive and the piece of the loom that connects the air flow sensor fell onto the exhaust manifold, melted and earthed blowing a fuse. I am glad that I put fuses between the power and the ECU.

I had another look at the stereo to see why I could only get one speaker working. Ended up pulling out the stock dash speakers to find the left one looked perfect, but just didn't work. I just squeezed a couple 4" speakers, and it is all working again.

After putting the glove box back when the fuse blew, the car decided to not run properly again. Looks like I have dodgy ECU plugs. Looks like the ECU I repaired might have been working ok, but the plugs not working properly.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Ah... That's where the coolant went. Actually... I have never had even a bottle of coolant in the boot.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

bad coolant :hit:
tubby

Post by tubby »

the good news is coolant has rust inhibitor in it so it wont rust there :lol:
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I fixed up a break in the GSR Spoiler I have, and then did a quick paint of it today. Before putting it on the car, I had to put some holes in the boot.

Used the broken red spoiler to mark out where all the holes went.

All the holes marked out ready to drill.

Test fit with the 'good' spoiler.

Another shot of the Sigma with the spoiler on it.

I will need to take it off later and fix up the paint since it was just a quick paint. I also finally got around to bolting in the battery tray and the battery bracket. That might stop the battery from bouncing around. I also put the stock exhaust cover back on to try and stop heat getting to the intake. Speaking of intake, I will have to rebuild/remake the intake elbow since in parts I have used hot glue to hold some bits together, and the glue is starting to melt. At least this time I can make it better with the experiences I had with making the first. I'll probably make it from aluminium this time instead of fibre glass.

Also, I think the O2 sensor is in a bad place, so I am going to get a set of extractors so I can relocate the O2 sensor to a better place.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I just filled up the Sigma. Over the past 6 days I have done around 380km (more than usual cause of the cruise). I filled up a day early since the empty light was coming on. It used up around 45 liters over that distance, so should have had around 15 liters in the tank. Anyway, it ended up working out to 11.76L/100km. That is comparable to my GJ GSR with Astron I, carbie and 5 sp manual. Changing to extractors to get the O2 sensor in a better position, and that figure might go down.