Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by Cottees »

Leads are brand new, cap and rotor look to be ok. It is more of a theory at the moment that it could be the plugs that are at fault. Will know a bit more tomorrow.

Before the I put in the new plugs, new leads, new intake/exhaust/head gaskets. (The engine stopped cause I turned it off)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDPkpIqEsQ

After. (Engine stopped on it's own)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPcKFDTQi5M
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

OK bring me up to speed because that does not sound right at all.....

1. Roller rockers or standard rockers?
2. Oil pressure?
3. timing chain tension?
4. exhuast leaks?

something definately doesnt sound right. Have you gone through the TPS setup proceedure?

Was this a running motor before EFI?

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

oldn64 wrote:1. Roller rockers or standard rockers?
2. Oil pressure?
3. timing chain tension?
4. exhuast leaks?
1. Roller Rockers
2. Seemed ok
3. Seemed ok
4. There was before I put on a new exhaust gasket

No, I haven't done the TPS setup procedure. Might be something I'll have to look at tomorrow.

Here is a progress pic of an LED replacement for the LCDs in the Magna Digital Dash I am planning on using. It is pretty complex, probably more so than I need it to be, but it would allow me to have the LEDs any colour or brightness I want. It uses 67 RGB LEDs for just the speedo + tacho.
Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

Checked your ISC?
I had this problem before.
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Astron Boy wrote:Checked your ISC?
Haven't yet, but I'll be testing everything that I haven't tested yet. I have another set of parts to change over any bad parts, except for the Distributor :banh: . Looks like the multimeter is going to get a real good use tomorrow.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Checked the TPS setting, that was good, but adjusted it better. Put the cleaned recommended plugs in. Tried starting it, but same thing. Tried the other plugs, same thing. Different ECU, and again. I did get it to rev up to 1krpm by holding the accelerator a bit, but it ran rough, and eventually conked out. When changing the #4 plug (can't remember which time), a bit of smoke came out the plug port. And another time there was a bit of smoke coming out through the intake. Battery went flat again, so I'll have to resume testing later, and keep the battery on charge longer. ISC, I forgot to test that before the battery went flat. A couple times when it would conk out, it would not just slow down, the engine would come to a complete stop. I am thinking not enough spark, or the ignition coil might be dodgy. Anyone have any ideas?
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Try this...

turn car to ignition position to pressurise the system, then turn off. Grab vice grips and pinch the return fuel line (this will stop the regulator giving the fuel back to the tank. Turn ignition on again and then remove the fuel pump relay once it has primed. then try starting the car. what this will do is give you normal fuel then lean out. if the car starts to run nice at a point then you have way too much fuel. if it just dies early (like broom stop) then it might be lean, replace the fuel relay and keep the regulator on try again. if this runs then your regulator is faulty. if more of the same then I would be going back to basics.... leak down test, compression test, spark test, vacuum leak, burnt valve, motor timed correctly, timing chain timed correctly? etc

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
leoca

Post by leoca »

i haven't even got the ISC on my conversion ..its a TR loom.I doubt you need it mate...its just when you put the A/C on and that isn't it?.Must be something else.

The utube clip...sounded a bit like a air issue?
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

Dont take this the wrong way mate but you have to stop dicking around and start with the basics.

engines need a few things to run, air, fuel and spark. what you are saying about the secondary ignition causing the engine to cut out is unlikely.

you need to determine what is causing the engine to stop running,,,is it the injector pulse cutting out? power to ecu? is the engine running on how man y cylinders? is your cam timing right? ignition timing? is you battery charging correctly?

all i can see is that you have gone a very hard way around making this thing efi, i mean its a half an hour job to mod the plenum for rwd.....

i still thing your afm is too far away from the tb
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Only had a small bit of time today, so I pulled apart one of the Starion struts.

Stock (I assume) vs Lowered King Spring

The rotor dust cover is a little bent on this strut, and quite bent on the other. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. It looks like the Starion was at one stage put on the ground without wheels.

Brake calliper

Everything else. I knocked out the studs since it might be a good idea to replace them. Some parts of the thread don't look 100% because of the Magna wheels that were put onto them.

astronturbo77 wrote:i still thing your afm is too far away from the tb
I am using a stock Magna intake, just to rule out that factor of being too long.

I should have time in a couple days to get back out and do some serious testing of the car.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Start of painting the callipers. Using some blue calliper paint that I bought originally for my first Sigma.

Fun with some wire wheels.

And painted.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Looking much better. Just have to dismantle the other one and spray it too.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking good mate, looks like you are going to get a lot done in ya holidays, keep it up :thumpsup:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I decided to go down to U-Pull-It for a look around, and to pick up a couple parts. I was also hoping to get a Scorpion diff, but that was a long shot. There was no Scorpions this time, so will have to go back again another day. I ended up getting a pair of GJ-GN strut tops and a set of wheel nuts.

I am bidding on a set of Pepper Pots on eBay, but they don't come with wheel nuts. I saw these wheels with similar wheel nuts.

Tried them on a damaged Pepper Pot, and they fit. So I grabbed the whole set.

Saw another 'Satellite' Sigma. This one was a 1984 GK.

Found a Magna ECU which the caps melted.

Found this interesting. A couple of the Mercs had the brake booster mounted to the front of the car, and not to the firewall.

Got rust?
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Thats not a Merc. Looks like a BMW E21 318i to me.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

C_Fernance wrote:Thats not a Merc. Looks like a BMW E21 318i to me.
I think you are right.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Sigma Spring Seat, Sigma Insulator Assembly, Starion Spring Seat, Starion Insulator Assembly.

I have also ordered a new set of wheel hub studs for the front. They had to be ordered in, so they ended up costing me $40 all up. I'll get new studs for the rear when I get the Scorpion diff and do the rear brakes.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

man i could walk around u-pull it all day, i cant say I've ever found anything interesting like a pepper pot rim though, even a damaged one lol. you do find some interesting things there though, specially when people forget to look under their seats and in their boot before surrendering their car :lol: i always find the mangled burn out cars the most interesting, spray paint over the lights over the windows. there was a dukes of hazard orange peal respray on a Chrysler regal a couple of years back haha
as for that rust, i know people who would try fix that with bog then tell you its ok lol

M.B :thumpsup:
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

pick and payless in sydney ALWAYS pull the rear set up lol. they are so stingy and get every cent out of a car haha. any money that falls out of the bums of passangers will be collected. and i dont know if u-pull it does it, but pick and payless actually charge $2 entry to get in the darn place!
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah u pull it was $1 for about 10 years but about a year ago it went up to $2. I dont mind paying it though, parts are crazy cheap and even if I am just going for a look I have spent $2 on far stupider things over the years , lol.
The EFI Galant inlet manifold I got this week for $19 make all the entry fees worth it IMO
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

pick and payless are wankers. . they charge a lot for little things. .
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

U-Pull-It was $2 entry, the strut tops were $8 each, and the full set of Sigma mag wheel nuts were $10. So pretty much $28 all up. I also walked out with a bunch of bolts as well that they didn't charge me for.
woops

Post by woops »

You guys really don't know how lucky you are. Up here in queensland there is only one wreckers who has any stock of galant lancers or sigma's and thats kelly wrecking at carseldine. They only get a couple of new cars to add to their stock every year or so. And the cars they have i wouldn't even considering buying for a hundred bucks as a parts car. And then there is the prices they charge. They were asking 45 each for galant front guards, 35 each for the indicators and over a hundred for a damaged galant grill. For those prices i could pick up an entire galant up here for just those parts.

By the way if anyone knows of anywhere in the southeast queensland area who actually has any galants i'd love to know. Or even a wrecker where you can actually get cheap parts like what there is down south with U-Pull-It for the engines which go into our cars like the sonata's and galant FWD. Most of the wreckers i've found only have cars which are 10 years old or newer.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Just picked up the new wheel hub studs.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Some more pics

The paint is starting to flake off on the King Springs, so I am now respraying them. I have been trying to get the engine running, but still no good news. So I am going to have awesome looking front struts, but a non-running engine :banh:
A112H

Post by A112H »

You will get there with the engine mate, if you need a hand after hours or over the weekend give me a yell.
Thats the best use of a wheelie bin I have ever seen, lol
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Thanks for the offer. I am going to try some more testing etc. over the weekend, and if I can't get it going, I might take you up on your offer.
Galant_GT0 wrote:Thats the best use of a wheelie bin I have ever seen, lol
I used a wheelie bin when I sanded and painted my rear spoiler for my Commodore. They come in real handy.
duanepurcell1

Post by duanepurcell1 »

hey bud just wondering i have my eye on a sigma witch looks alot like yours do you still have the number plates on your car its not far from upull it
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

duanepurcell1 wrote:hey bud just wondering i have my eye on a sigma witch looks alot like yours do you still have the number plates on your car its not far from upull it
I am just up the road from U-Pull-It North, but my plates aren't on the car at the moment. I haven't seen any Sigmas around here, apart from one that has parked next door, and a couple in a paddock on Womma Road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 4&t=h&z=18
I think this is the place that has some sitting in the middle of a paddock. IIRC, one of them is a GH.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I put the new studs into the hub.

Tested them out on a wheel to make sure I put them in right.

a quick before/after shot.