Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by Cottees »

Thanks for the offer, but I should be ok at the moment. I wouldn't be able to use it anyway since that plenum wouldn't bolt to the bottom end of my intake.
panda

Post by panda »

Cottees wrote:At the moment I am sticking with the stock fan. I do want to change to an electric fan eventually. Looking at those fans was more research cause I was bored. I was a little suss of them anyway. Around $100 for a fan at Super Cheap Auto, and $30 for them.
Nothing wrong with the stock fan, provided you keep the radiator shroud intact, mine works fine driven hard. :)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Cottees is a TR/TS manifold, COBWBS is a TN/TP type. Not interchangable with one another.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have cut the pipe on the air injector to get the part that bolts into the exhaust manifold. With the O2 sensor placed into the air injection hole, and the hollow bolt put over it, the O2 sensor is pretty secure.

Here it is again with the exhaust cover placed back on.

I have cut down the intake pipe that goes into the fuel rail, and it looks to fit ok. I'll have to get another one when I got to U-Pull-It on the weekend since I don't think I have left enough of the pipe there. I would also need to replace that clamp with a screw type to give it a better hold.

Same as above for the return hose. That is the stock hose at the moment, but I will replace them with new ones. the return hose is only just long enough to reach the regulator.

At the moment the fuel hose has a stock Sigma fuel filter, but I think it would be too small for the EFI set up. I'll probably replace it with a fuel filter from a VN Commodore. It should allow it to flow properly, and I just happen to have a spare near new one in the garage. Next week I'll be getting most of the wiring complete enough to plug in a battery to test everything but the ECU out. That'll allow me to test out the fuel pump, and at the same time remove the 91 RON that's in the tank at the moment, and replace it with 98 RON. Since I am putting a M9 head on, the extra compression may cause knocking, so better to have 98 RON in there just in case. Before I add on a turbo, I'll replace the pistons with forged dished ones and/or replace the head. Once I get the EFI complete, I'll probably only do minor things to it till I get all the parts together to go turbo, then take the car off the road and do an engine rebuild at the same time. While doing the engine rebuild, I might end up taking out the balance shafts.
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panda

Post by panda »

Cottees, if you're going to U-Pull-it, see if you can find a TR/TS Magna, then get the EFI fuel filter thats mounted on the fire wall (on the LHS), plus its mounting bracket.
Also grab the hose from the filter to the fuel rail as its got the banjo fittings already fitted, plus grab the fitting off the supply line from the tank that goes on the filter.
The high pressure fuel line will never leak then.
Maybe later you can replace this filter with a new one after you have captured all the crap from the tank after the conversion.
EFI filters are rated for high pressure, plus filter out much finer particles of crap to prevent clogging of injectors.

panda

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

At the moment I have the fuel filter from the Magna TR/TS. Can't remember if I grabbed the bracket though. I also have the standard hose that goes from the fuel rail to the filter. there was not enough room between the inlet of the fuel rail and the firewall to have that hose there.

I am not sure, but from what I have seen, it looks like the TM-TP fuel rail has a banjo connector for the inlet. If this is correct, then it would give better clearance.
panda

Post by panda »

Cottees wrote:I am not sure, but from what I have seen, it looks like the TM-TP fuel rail has a banjo connector for the inlet. If this is correct, then it would give better clearance.
When you go to U-Pull-It next, check the hoses from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. I think the fitting on the fuel rail is different from the TN/TP to the TR/TS ;)
If not, then all the better for you. :)

Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build [On Hiatus]

Post by Cottees »

I have stopped my Sigma project for now so I can concentrate on stuff I have to do before moving. Hopefully will be able to get back into it in December.

I ended up getting a TN/TP fuel rail, and it does have a banjo connector at the inlet end. It looks to all line up with the injectors on the TR/TS manifold, but the mounting point will need to be changed.

This means no going to the next SA cruise, but should be able to make it for the first one of 2010.
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

too me it looks like your reinventing the wheel here for no great gain BUT in the interest of different and customisation im gunna say good luck and keep my eyes peeled on how it comes along. Good luck mate
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I thought I'd update the thread since I haven't in a while. Finally getting my Sigma towed to a new location with more room to work on it which is also close to where I am moving. Hopefully this means I'll be able to start working on it again soon, and get it running. I have had a look on the forums and spotted the "Stealth's Performance Warehouse" thread. The exhaust manifolds look good, but looking at them is troubling me. Looks like if I have the intake the way I have it now, there might not be enough room to get the intake past the turbo to go to an intercooler. Probably wont know for sure till I get back into working on it, and also get a turbo into the engine bay for measurements.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I spoke WAY too soon. I just wrecked my daily driver, so looks like that the Sigma project has to be put on hold, again, or turned into my daily. I might have to re-carbie my Sigma for a while till I find another car. Hopefully one day I'll be able to finish this project without something happening and it being delayed.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees wrote:I spoke WAY too soon. I just wrecked my daily driver, so looks like that the Sigma project has to be put on hold
Sorry to hear this. Was looking forward to seeing how it went.

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

In the coming week, I'll probably put the carbie back onto the Sigma so it is driveable. There is things I can do as to the EFI stuff off the car to get it ready. If I get all the wiring finished, and the Magna head, it might just be a matter of a weekends work to get the EFI stuff back onto the car. So hopefully I can get it EFi'd still. Will post updates when I can. Not going to let this stop me EFI'ing a Sigma, even through 4-5 years of 'something' coming up to prevent or delay it happening.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

what happened?
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
stealth

Post by stealth »

mate sorry to hear the bad news
been reading your dilema about your intake to turbo
prob and its a easy fix
when you buy your turbo manifold i will throw in a tr
plenium that been converted to rwd the conventional way
so its easyier for you :D
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Thanks stealth!

This is what happened :

I was sitting at a give way. 2 people to my right gave way so I could turn right. I pulled out to the middle of the road to make sure there was no traffic coming from the lights to the left of me. No traffic, so I preceded to turn right, and a Ford Falcon hit me. Even though they were in the wrong side of the road at the time, I was technically more in the wrong for not giving way to them, even though they were on the wrong side of the road.

Since everything is fine except for the front part of the chassis, I am going to try and find another Commodore with a good body, but a dead engine/trans. Either that or part it out. Depending on what happens, the engine, a L27 3.8L V6 could be sold to be put into another Commodore, or even a Sigma.

At the moment I have a Holden Nova to get to and from work. It's not a bad car, but I feel like I am in a Top Gear Challenge, and I am now driving the Beetle. Since I have a little time, I might just continue with the Sigma's EFI conversion, and then drive that till I get the Commodore fixed, or another car.
Last edited by Cottees on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Since i need a daily driver, and I miss working on the sigma, the build is officially off hiatus. I will post more pics soon.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have put together part of the piping from the thermostat housing at the rear to the front of the intake.

The tape is just there to hold things together to test fit before I weld it together.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I am now thinking of not welding the 2 pieces of pipe together, and welding the brackets to the pipe. I am going to just attach the 2 pipes with a piece of radiator hose, and make new brackets that don't require welding. I am thinking of doing it like this so I can tilt up the end of the pipe to point at the radiator, and can change it to point down to clear the throttle body if I choose to have the throttle body on the other end of the Plenum. When I finally turbo it, I might still try and keep the throttle body on the rear of the Plenum, but if I can get the piping to fit, then I'll end up just putting it on the other side.

So things to get the car running is :
- Get a Magna head, Billsy has been kind enough to sell me one.
- Head and intake gaskets
- Extend part of the loom, this is so I can run the loom into the car neatly through a hole above the wheel well, and not have to share a hole with the AC
- integrate the Magna loom into the Sigma loom
- Fit new water pump
- Patch a couple of spots on my fibre glass elbow that I missed
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I finally got a head, for my Sigma. One part closer to getting my Sigma running.

I should be working on it tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some done tomorrow considering it is forecast to be 42C. If I get more done, I'll post more pics.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have done a little more to the Sigma. Looks like I'll have to move the rear brake lines, or insulate them from the coolant pipes. I may also use a longer bolt + spacer for the bracket holding the coolant pipe to the plenum to stop it from being so close.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hey Cottees,
well done man, coming together!

I think that Cooland pipe would look neater as a one piece rather than having the Rubber joiner in the middle..
But it looks great the way it feeds down to the radiator top tank!

And i was really hoping you would have done the Throttle body conversion to the front seeing as you had the manifold off...

It will be interesting to see how it works.
And im all for you trying it out!

But my thoughts would be, as soon as you get some heat into that
Fibre glass, it will want to seperate, or lift, or warp,
and you will loose Vacuum.

And not even what a dose of boost will do...

But Its a novel idea, and cool to try something differnet!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

If the fibre glass doesn't work, I can just get a modded top intake. That is also why I didn't weld the coolant pipe. If I change the top intake, I can move the coolant pipe to go around the throttle body. I'll probably change the top of the intake when I boost it depending on how this set up turns out.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Dude, I have read this for a lot of months now and seriously, you have a great "once off" system. But in all honestly this would have been running 3 months ago if you went for a front mount like everyone else.

Cheers
Jason
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Na, this would have been finished 3 months ago if I didn't have constant delays cause of work cutting my hours hence leaving me with no money. Now work is better, all I need now is a head and intake gasket (on order), and to put everything together. Now that I have more hours at work, I just have to try and get it done around the hours I have, and also around packing for moving too. I hope to have it on the road in a couple weeks at most. Since I am doing the wiring myself, I'll also have to pick up a fire extinguisher. I have re-wired my old Commodore, and that had no probs, but not trying to merge 2 car's looms together. I'll update with pics in the coming week.
Undies91

Post by Undies91 »

I am glad to see that you are back up and running with this build i was wondering when you would be back into it.

All goin well i suppose ill see you on the next cruise ( whenever i or someone organises it :P )
Own A GN Sigma
rebuild on the way!!!
oh and fuel injected turbo
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

There is not much progress at the moment since I had to move house over the past week. I thought I would show pic of the interior. Even though it is a little dirty at the moment, most of the interior looks pretty good.

New carpet, uncracked dash, and some centre console parts and it would look great.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Extended the Magna loom to get it to fit better into the Sigma. Just have to solder it all together and test it.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I set out today to work on the car, so I ended up at U-Pull-It to pick up a couple things. While I was there, I saw the GE Wagon again.

On it, there was an old RAA badge, so my brother took it off for me.

Here is what it looks like.

I also grabbed off the side vents off the GE. I didn't realise they were there just for show.

There was also a set of rims there that I would have liked, but didn't have the money this week to get them.

I got back to my GN and did some work.

The old head and other parts are now off ready to put new parts on. While it is apart like this, I might have to do a really good clean. In some parts, the grease is that thick, I couldn't find bolts for the A/C mount.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Did some more to the Sigma today, even though it is around 40C outside at the moment. I found some degreaser in the boot, so I put it to good use.

Damn! There was an engine behind all that grease!

Once I did a bit of cleaning, I started to put the M4 head onto the engine.

All was going ok, all the bolts were tightening properly, then came the last 2 smaller bolts at the front of the head. I stupidly assumed they would need the same tightness as the other larger bolts. This resulted in one of them snapping and falling into the timing chain cover. Since that bolt was just there to hold the head and the timing cover together, I am either going to carefully get the bolt out using a magnet, or taking off the timing cover, and replacing it and the 2 bolts.

Just looking at the manual (which I left at home when going to where the Sigma is), and the main bolts are meant to be tightened to 110Nm, and the head to timing chain cover 12Nm. Very good reason why it snapped.