Yellow South African COLT

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Jarod

Yellow South African COLT

Post by Jarod »

Hi, i'm from South Africa and i am new to this forum, so dont be too harsh :thumpsup: . This is my first car, yes, lucky me and it will probably by mine forever :D . It's now turned into a project and i sink in money whenever i get some. I'm not to sure on the details but its either a 1976 or 1978, Dodge Colt GL. It's was a 1.6l automatic(As seen in photos) and it has a VW gold carburetor. Since then i have pulled off the horrible stickers that were on the exterior of the car, i have converted it to a manual transmission and i have sent in a dual carb to be overhauled that i found from a GS that somebody decided to cut up and scrap. The previous owners seemed to bang it up abit as there is extensive repair that has been done to the rear of the car and the right driver door. aswell as a quick spray over the old paint was done and frankly it looks crap, there is overspray everywhere, fading and cracks. i would love to swap out the rims and tires and maybe do a respray but i need your help as i am not to sure about exterior trim removal, all the windows etc when it vomes to respraying. i will try to upload pictures of the cars current state soon and keep this updated any info on the car and tips would help greatly.

Pictures :http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Jarod_K ... c.jpg.html
75wagon
Admin

Re: Yellow South African COLT

Post by 75wagon »

Looks good Jarod :thumpsup:

As far as repainting, it actually doesn't look like it's in a bad condition at all. Hopefully that means it will make it an easy job for you.

I've gone the whole way with mine.
From this.

To this.

I also put a bit of work into another member of the forum's car.

Anything in particular you are after in the way of advice?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

I LOVE the white color! I guess I just don't like yellow but I will try and send pictures of what I am not happy with later(concerning the paint work). I would love to have the car in white or candy red(if i want to go for a more modern look) but candy type paint jobs are expensive. Can anybody send links with steps on how to do a respray? I need a new right driver door though as this one has separated inside(cracked). And does anybody have any suggestions to how I can make the back more flattering?as it is all skew, cracked and a little rusted.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The white is the factory colour.

Painting is all about the preparation. I use paint stripper to remove the paint, I then file finish the panels (to show up any imperfections), trial fit all the panels to work on panel alignment, then start the actual painting process.

As far as your door is concerned where is it cracked? Mine was separated at the front where the top frame attaches to the top of the door skin, I welded it back together.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

Love the white, i want mine in white. anyways here are a few pictures:

Note the cracks in the lower back:

Cracks:

Weird Bumper:

Paint:

Check the exhaust manifold haha custom repair job:

Sloppy Paint

Driver door

Driver door

Paint problems:

They tried to fix the back (I'm sure there was an accident):

Sorry about all the pictures. :\ There is alot of cracks and fading but i did put some pictures of the paint, some for a laugh to where they got paint. i would like information and help on trim removal, rubbers etc.
Thanks in advance.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've edited your post so the pics work.
Here's a tip for you.

This is what you are putting up as a link (this is what isn't working).
[img]http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Jarod_K ... .html?o=25[/img]

Here's the links that do work.
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/J ... c4jk1s.jpg[/img]

To get the right link, just right click on the image and select 'copy image url', use the preview function before submitting to test if the links you are using work.

I hope this helps?

As for the paintwork on your car, I see what you mean by sloppy. A lot of those things just come down to lazy masking, or just not wanting to remove parts at all.
It's going to be difficult to repair the rear lower panel. It looks like the steel is stretched, and would need panel beating back to straight, and shrinking so it holds that shape.
The door where it has let go is fixable, but make sure someone who is good with a welder does it (too hot and the panel will warp), the other alternative is to brazing (welding with brass rod instead of steel), it's a lower temp process. The bottom of your drivers door looks like it has had a rust repair with filler.
The rubber above the back bumper might be there to stop it vibrating against the back of the car? As the bumper is a bit out of line? It doesn't appear to pass through any holes or anything under the tail light.
Most of the things that you have shown are fixable with a total strip down and paint strip before painting again, the trim pieces either need some time spent on them with thinners and a rag or replacing (depending on availability of replacement trim pieces).
At least you have the model with the better front seats (they only came in the Lancer Hatches in Australia) and you also have the model that has boosted brakes.

Dave...
Taz

Post by Taz »

Hi there!

Considering its age, that car is holding up very well for something that hasnt been previously restored etc. Id be happy starting from where it is compared to what some forum members here have gone through!
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

Took her out of the garage today. Nice side view. The skew Colt badge annoys me. And this rims are to big...

crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

Nice , I like the rims :thumpsup: and as for the sloppy paint that is stone guard its tougher than normal paint and it just looks rough but it is put on to help prevent stone chips
Jarod

Post by Jarod »

So i got a rear bumper that I LOVE from a GS, its the same shape kind of and maybe a little bit thinner but the mounts are in different places. any way i could bolt this on my car?my original one has alot of damage, what do you guys think? I want to avoid having to weld any brackets and making holes inside the boot but if i have to well then.

Jarod

Post by Jarod »

UPDATE and HELP

Any tips on getting the old interior clock working?and the door light sensors(there seems to be a few missing and wondering if there are replacement ones I can put in place)?those are just little things i wont to get done. as well as my door sometimes doesn't want to unlock, I can pull it up and down and turn the key but it just won't unlock, but I'm pulling of the door panel to give it a look at this weekend. Yesterday I started the car and it seems to be spitting out alot of fluid out of the exhaust. I think it might be the carburetor. But I sent in a twin carb to be refurbished so we will see when I get that one bolted on.
I also opened up the radiator and it is a disgusting sight, so I will be flushing it out and then sending the car in for a service, oil change and all.