little hulk

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
JimmyG

Re: little hulk

Post by JimmyG »

You may soon finish this stage of the cars build but id put a tenner on it having another face lift down the track. Ten years or so will have it being fitted out with 500kw of elec motors. :lol:
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Yeah more than likely !
So finishing the engine bay is taking way longer than expected , so I will just keep chipping away at it , until it's done
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
stealth

Post by stealth »

So before loading the engine back in for another test fit , I have been working on the engine bay and generally cleaning up I thought I would make a start on the scuttle and firewall / tunnel
So here's a before shot
No doubt this will take a quiet a bit of time !
Cheers stealth
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Did u have any luck with the timing belt
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
stealth

Post by stealth »

Yup fits nicely , thanks again
Did some reconstructive surgery on the scuttle panel , blending it into the firewall
Came up nicely I think
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, you're getting there.
How much clearance will you end up with between rear of motor and the firewall?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
stealth

Post by stealth »

Well what im hoping for and what I can get away with is two different things
Short answer , I don't know yet !
I need to put the engine back in fit everything back up and fabricate a water outlet , and sort the cooling system , as hot water comes from the back of the heads it will determine where the firewall will be
But I will have to be as close to the engine as possible because as I have the air conditioner on the inside , and I didn't want to relocate it , but it s looking like that I won't have a choice !
I was going to look at doing this today but I got distracted by the radiator support being in the way of putting the engine and gbox in in one piece , so today's mission is to make it a bolt in bolt out removable panel
A couple of before shots
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's the one thing I prefer in the gen 1 Galant's compared with the gen 2's (the removable section in the front radiator support panel).

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
stealth

Post by stealth »

Yeah it will make life easier
Here's what I came up with
So I just need to weld in a couple of captive nuts and all good , im pretty happy with the result , should have done it years ago
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, it looks good.
My theory with stuff like that 'the more it looks like it came from the factory like that, the better'.

Dave...
stealth

Post by stealth »

Today's mission

Some bits to fit

And the drivers side , this the other side , made this out of the car

Put some more up later , just a few action shots , i will put some more up later
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yep, keen to see more pics.
I assume you've done enough work prior to this that it will all fit together perfectly?

So next is the wiring harness?

Dave...
stealth

Post by stealth »

Well I made the drivers side pipes with the engine on the stand , so was a massive punt
But as luck has is thay fit nice!
This round of engine in is to check that all 6 pipes and the collector thats made fit .
To confirm that the engine mounts fit , like the triangle cut out is to undo the nut with pipes in place
Also to triple check the new sump
The new oil filter spacer and new oil filter housing , and to take some measurements to run lines and find room for a oil cooler
To have a look at the water system , ie new water pump with different rear housing with the thermostat housing up front , which looks like the go at the moment , then take more measurements for the rear of the engine for the firewall clearance and rear water outlet and how to join it in !
Then I need to sort out the clutch slave and master cylinder arrangement , take some measurements to mod the bellhousing so I can finish the passenger side collector
And have a think about the ancillarys hanging if the engine , thats all I can think of right now
So yeah a bit to do , will do more pics tomorrow
Cheers stealth
stealth

Post by stealth »

Drivers side Image
Passenger sideImage
And front on , making a bit of progress oil filter fits
ImageIf there is anything in particular someone wants a pic of let me know
Cheers stealth
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That looks to fit pretty well.
Nice Job :thumpsup:

Dave...
Taz

Post by Taz »

That filter looks awfully close to the rail to come off the thread - tried taking it off in the car yet?
stealth

Post by stealth »

Its a bad camera angle
But yes its close , I can get filter on and off no worries but I will be facing the spacer another 5mm and then it will be sweet
Its not close compared to many other items
More Clearance is the dream !
It's only going to be harder from here on in , the water intake manifold at this point is touching the bonnet at the moment
So theres going to be more mods and then the rear water housing a complete custom job
But the next job is to strip down the bonnet and remove the skin to get a better view of what can fit where , should make my life a bit easier
Cheers stealth
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I know its gonna be awhile but can't wait till its finished!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
stealth

Post by stealth »

Thanks for all the kind words guys
I too cant wait tills its done , but baby steps
So to work out how much clearance or lack of there is under bonnet I removed the bonnet skin

And in this pic you can see the upper part of the thermostate housing is quite high and it touches the bonnet so time for mods
Cheers stealth
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

By the looks of things its gonna be a complete custo job too..hmm
stealth

Post by stealth »

Yeah , I need to sort what I want to do with the intake manifold as that will set where the water pipe will fit
So I need to make a few parts fit up the second half of the intake and then make the custom water housing
Also starting to look at doing the firewall and tunnel , I bought a sheet of 1mm cold rolled as i hate using old panel work , it never comes of nice
So plenty to do
Cheers stealth
stealth

Post by stealth »

Here's a pic of the "upper part" of the hot water side
This is a mix and match of parts from pagero , triton and challenger
But yes I have to modify it and not just a little it doesn't fit under the bonnet and hits the rocker cover , the connecting pipe to the rear housing is to long and the rear housing of the 3lt or bigger is different because of different deck heights , so this is the before pic
In order to make the upper housing to work in need to modify the intake manifold , I have had to remove some cast bosses and a couple of vac pipes off the "lower half " and did some wires for the injectors Image

Then made a spacer to keep the upper part to be away from the heat

And a the second piece of the intake "before" and im not using the third piece as it has a two stage induction thats renowned for failing so im going to custom make a plenium and run a pagero 3.5 throttle body

All these parts share the same space in the engine bay so thay all need to fit around each other and under the bonnet
Also I have decided to cut the whole firewall out and replace it with a new one that I will make from scratch from sheet and I will just blend it in as the floor and firewall are all one piece from factory , so engine is coming back out to start on all of these issues
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

Lol i like that. Don't like the firewall so im gonna cut it out and make a new one!
stealth

Post by stealth »

Not sure how to take that
I need a heap more room around the back of the heads and I don't want it to look like a heap of patches
The factory firewall is a one piece stamping and in places its .5 mm thick where its stretched , so trying to make that look unbutchered would be near impossible , without bog that is, and I don't roll that way !
So I figured make one that suits the engine being fitted and it will be a neater job as one piece , and this way while its a piece of sheet I can create the shapes to suit requirements and then fit it , keeping the factory "bracing" where the booster and steering column go , to trick the eye
So its definitely not a flat piece , and im hoping that "if you had never seen a stock firewall " it would look like its meant to be !
I know its the long way but , do the hard yards now and reap the benefits in the long run
Hopefully it turns out like I plan :$
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

Take it as a compliment ;)
Not many people at all would bother or have the skills and materials to do it, i just love how something that seems so big to me is just another thing on the list for you.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Oh okay fare enough, it is a massive conversion into a la , I don't think to many people would pull it off
But I am surprised that no one's had a crack with a sigma or scorpion I reckon it would be quite easy , theres a mile of room in there engine bays
But like you said not to many could be bothered "so to speak"
Its a shame I would like to see more of them around , and just to inspire people this is how much room you would have in a 81 scorpion

Looks easy !
Cheers stealth
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

DO ITTTTTTTT
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Would a rwd triton g/box fit under the tunnel of a Sigma scorpion?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
stealth

Post by stealth »

You would definitely need to cut the tunnel even using the kia gbox which is smaller but a little tunnel mod and that would be the extent of the body work in a Sigma or scorpion body , hoping someone local takes up the challenge !
Anyway if anyone is keen I can start another post just on the v6 and all the options that I have worked out so far
And I have a firewall to smash out
Cheers stealth
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Originally, I had considered running the gto 3500TT DOHC V6 in a Sigma wagon, and bolting on Scorpion doors, converting it into a panelvan ......but the skills and money required is beyond my grasp sadly
Built with pride, Driven in anger