Maverick

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Taz

Maverick

Post by Taz »

Hey guys.
Finally got my LC back from the shop getting its electrical sorted out (as over 35 years it had been chopped, rejoined and rewired half a dozen times - so that got ripped out and rewired fresh)
Thought i'd take a few photos and do a build thread up.

Car: 1979 LC Lancer Celeste
Owner: Taz, 25yo, Male, Brisbane
Previous Owner: Grimmeh
Details: Orange 79 LC, excellent condition, 91k, bone stock, original everything except wheels. No rust, except for a minor scuff here and there paint is excellent. Has been manual converted from an auto (just realizing now how rare the auto's were...) A lot of small things replaced, front end suspension - brakes, shocks etc

Problems to be addressed:

'Lancer' badge missing on the left hand 1/4 - replace - LOOKING FOR BADGE
Rear 1/4 windows sikaflexed in too much - take out and clean up gunk, reinstall cleanly - YET TO BE DONE
Resovoir sitting loosely in engine bay - was missing and replaced with a bottle from a CJ lancer - tack on a few tabs to screw the bottle to - YET TO BE DONE
Clutch guide missing on firewall due to manual conversion - weld another tube on - YET TO BE DONE
Small hole in inner left 1/4 from rust - was cut out early and gunked up to prevent spreading - weld a small plate and blend in - YET TO BE DONE
Sand back and paint 1/4 vents and fit - YET TO BE DONE

Plans for the future:

Minilights.
Flared arches to support said minilights, unsure if i want blended or the 'bolt on' look.
Respray. Thinking of a gunmetal silver or a deep cherry red.
Replace plastic bumpers. Getting old, usual indents on 3 of the 4 corners. Want a nice one piece look - unsure if i want the chrome 1 piece as it might be a bit over the top for my look.
Disc brake conversion on the rear end - need more info on what path is best
Fab up a rail for my seats to fit in - drivers full racing bucket (probably not road legal but meh)
Half cage
Find a manifold for my twin 40 dellortos. Find a few small turbos for my dellortos.
Engine rebuild
Booster / steering overhaul
Battery relocation to the boot for better weight distribution and room in bay
Alloy rad
Front splitter
Fender Mirrors
New carpet. Probably a matted black as ill probably replace the door cards too. Would look odd having black carpet and shag brown door cards. Maybe just cut a sheet of carbon and screw to the door? See how we go
Probably a bunch of other small things i cant think of off the top of my head.

With all that out the way, here are some pics (post wash, pre wax)

Superscan811

Re: Maverick

Post by Superscan811 »

Looks very tidy..

Cheers..
Taz

Post by Taz »

It is indeed, was very well looked after. Can tell that the previous owner cared about its well being, which is good for me because i dont have to worry about rust or sourcing common breakages etc, everything is complete (minus one badge i think is still in the car).
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Just a big 01 on the door perhaps..?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Nah mate, im 07, always have been ;)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

With the number plate HAZADUS :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Taz

Post by Taz »

And its available too! But for $3300...never been a fan of plates - money could be utilized so much better somewhere else but if i was filthy rich...Thats cage money that is! lol
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

$3300 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

get a set of fake personal plates for 25 bucks lol
Taz

Post by Taz »

Ye qld is different. It's a bigger but one off payment for plates, all letters being the most expensive at 3300.least we don't have to pay a higher fee every rego bill. Still, I'd never fork out that for plates unless the car was absolutely finished and I had surplus money with nothing to spend it on, whichwill nnever happen lol
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Well that's fair enough then
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Looking good dude :thumpsup:
Taz

Post by Taz »

After getting some inspiration from other cars for colors i think im going to go for a nice deep blood red, with a same red/black theme.

This NSX was the killer - something exactly like this.

This pic is also what i want the overall look of the car to be like. Not exactly, but im digging the minilights/color theme/front splitter blended etc. Kinda makes me want to keep the flares with the black and 'bolted on' look instead of blended in which i was leaning towards. Might go a more 2 color heavy theme look and keep the front splitter black, who knows.

Getting a front splitter/duck lip and cooler/filter relocation kit next week or so. Still looking for a manifold to put these dellortos onto as well. Next will probably be sending it off to my mate to get it sprayed / few things fabbed that need attention/put in new seats i have waiting.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Taz wrote:Nah mate, im 07, always have been ;)
??
Taz

Post by Taz »

Purchased a 4G64 complete block from work today for pennies. Now to find out the best head to put on it..
Taz

Post by Taz »

Purchased the last remaining front spoiler and rear duck lip from savage today. Still searching for a cheap DSM head for the 64 and will be sent off to the panel beaters in the coming weeks to be painted
stealth

Post by stealth »

Don't forget that you need all the timing gear of the front of a engine
And if your adding boost you should convert the block with the 63bt main craidle and piston squirters
As for a cheap engine /head or parts a 1995 hyundia sonata has a 63 with all the fruit but no turbo and a 7bolt so perfect cheap donor
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

The going rate for a DSM head seems to be about 500, was gonna go down that route. I won't be building the engine either, ive only rebuilt stock runabouts and not 500hp monsters so the guy will know what to do as he does a lot of stroked evos. We have a few sonatas in the yard though, as long as the deck is the same as a DSM it'll need cams and springs etc anyway, give that a go you reckon?
stealth

Post by stealth »

There a mitsubishi 4g63 with different engine number
Cheers stealth
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

ozdusterdave wrote:
Taz wrote:Nah mate, im 07, always have been ;)
??
x2, lol :lol:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
stealth

Post by stealth »

This is the 4g63 hyundai engine
You can buy a complete car for around $500
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

Parcel finally arrived today, Performance warehouse decided to use Ego unfortunately, forgot to tell them id rather pay extra to avoid them...had several fragile stickers on them but the box still arrived crushed as usual...ended up leaving the parcel on the property out the back that isnt mine after walking past our house to do as well so...anyway.
Not particularly happy with the products either, whether they are the wrong part, or their motto of "precision engineered for an EXACT fit" is a load of codswallop. Front spoiler is marked LB sedan, but holding it up to where it should fit in it seems a bit too small end to end, will have to be modified. Duck lip for the rear is also marked LA-LB and seems to be too long, has a fair bit of overlap on the liftback, and the ends curve around a bit preventing a flush fit (i assume something specific to fit those models). They are apparently the last of their kind too so i dont think ill be getting another set (whether they are wrong or poorly made).
At least im not the one fitting them, the panelbeater will be when it goes for paint, although that will now cost me more as well..
Anyone else had this problem with an LC? Are they indeed the same for LB-LC and they SHOULD fit or are they slightly different and thats why theyre not "precision engineered" etc.

@Stealth - ive already bought a 63 from a CB lancer we got in at work, exactly the same bar the hyundai rocker cover which is a plus.
Taz

Post by Taz »

stealth

Post by stealth »

Nice work
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

So pulled the engine from work today and got it home. Cant be happier, got it for next to nothing, and it has the bigger cyclone manifold, bigger injectors, reco'd head (cant be more than 5k on it) and oversize valves. Now i need to find a gearbox to fit, at least i have the option of wide or narrow block having both blocks at my disposal.

Belial

Post by Belial »

Well, I guess I should be happy to read the chin spoiler doesn't fit.

I was going to buy the exact same one...
Taz

Post by Taz »

It might be just my car, but it does look like its too small in width, it gets smaller in width as it goes from the tips to the front, and whilst the tips fit around the body, it leaves about 3 inches gap before it sits flush on the body. I dont know if thats something easily rectified or they think it fits but it doesnt or they sent the wrong part. Either way it stands it doesnt really fit, and im not sure i want to go to the hassle of making it fit over making something myself.
I snapped up the last pieces anyway belial so there isnt anymore for sale or being made apparently. Ill probably sell mine if you want it.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just dummy fitted the GSR head onto the 64 block. Im probably going to go with that as the castings are slightly different, and the 64 seems better to start with.
Found out my problems/what needs to be done to make it all fit nicely -

1) Thermostat housing is on the GSR head at the LHS, which means up against the firewall - but on the 64 is right below the headers on the side of the block. The bypass pipes are essentially the same, however the GSR pipe fouls on a bolt casting on the 64 block (which i dont know what is for yet cant seem to find anything that fits it) so ill have to do custom pipes - might as well get the thermostat removed while im at it to a more reasonable place.

2) Throttle body is facing the firewall at the back of the motor. I wont know if this will be an issue or not until its dummy fitted into the car. It will be a big issue if so as ill need a custom manifold fabbed up, and i really like the idea of using the cyclone manifold that came with the head. Hopefully theres enough room to U pipe it back around the front. Time will tell.

3) Timing cover off the GSR doesnt fit, which is a shame as its both in good nic and ever so slightly different. The water pump housing JUST fouls it, and the pumps are different on the GSR and 64 ever so slightly again, so no being a smart ass and using the GSR pump to get around that. Will have to get something custom made up. Probably go a clear cover with the cam cover as well. Least i have a template that only needs to be adjusted slightly.

4) Bottom intake manifold support bracket wont bolt up to the 64 block without fouling a few things, although its a simple fix to either make something custom or have a permanent weight reduction.

5) As to be expected probably some sort of custom engine mount setup, although different sources tell me l200 mounts will bolt up and that they wont so ill just have to find out for myself. Either way the castings are there in the block at least.

Possible issues down the road:
I have a funny feeling the oil filter might foul on the k frame where it sits on the 64 block, although i will be getting a relocation kit it so hopefully not a problem.
Gearbox requiring some clutch modification to fit
Gearbox shifter hole needing moving...again
Gearbox not bolting up to mounts
Taz

Post by Taz »

Spent a few hours trapsing the net - came up with the following.

Thermostat housing relocation is an off the shelf product, will run on the front of the head out a freeze plug and the rear is plugged up. Cover has to be modified but since it has to be anyway being a frankenstein this isnt a problem and becomes the viable solution.
Gearbox - a B2600 G54B box should bolt up with a starion clutch/flywheel. Can only see how this goes when its in front of me in the car.
Might not be able to use the cyclone manifold after all, as it might foul the LHF strut tower as it is noticeably bigger than the stock manifold. If i can use it ill probably just fab it and put the TB on the other side.
Starion mounts might potentially be the best bet for a near bolt in job.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

http://www.jayracing.com/dsm-cooling-pr ... -p-28.html

I used this on my lc. I wouldn't recommend it as it it hits the water pump pulley. Some people get them cut and welded on an angle. I opted to go for a smaller pulley. Even then the timing belt is rubbing on the lip so now i have to drain the coolant and "machine" the lip down.

As for the manifold i had one side cut open and the other side welded up. just make sure when you do this you make the throttle body point away from the engine as it makes it easier to run piping from an air box etc.

Engine mounts i used were starion ones i think from memory although i went with a narrow block 4g63 (im not too sure it matters). I bought new rubber mounts for $34 again off a starion.

The CAS wasn't an issue for me. it fits but is close the the firewall. You can even retain the heater hoses in the same position.