Maverick

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Taz

Re: Maverick

Post by Taz »

Hmm well i dont have heater hoses to worry about as theyll be coming out as well. No AC lines to worry about either. Im thinking i might just run it from the back after all and just run some lines up the LHS of the car/intake side instead of under the exhaust where the factory 4g64 thermostat is and mount it out of the way - it seems any route i go i will have to change or move something anyway.
Manifold i have will have to be modded as evo manifolds are smaller ports and theres no RHS mounted 4g63's with the VR4/1g head.
Talked to a guy who has done a few RWD 4g63/4s including L300s (so same block) and he recommends the rx7 box for ease and for my power so i think ill go down that route, and deal with anything along the way if need be. Just need to find that golden bellhousing now...
Been eyeing off some goodies like stage 4 race cams and forged goodness. So hard not to buy everything i want right meow!
Taz

Post by Taz »

Currently sharing the daily driver with the mother in law as she has cooked the heads on her commodore (lol) so spent all today getting the last few things done for a roady which it will get next week. Got everything sorted and found the thing wont bloody start. After some chasing figured out its spark, specifically not getting enough - still gets a little but not nearly enough to crank it over. Plugs were a little dirty but the coil looks pretty old. Will replace the plugs, then if that doesnt fix it fork out the 42 bucks for a new coil. Then ill move onto the dizzy if need be... Either way should have club rego next week and be driving around in it if all goes to plan. That will at least relax the timeline on fitting the 4g64 into it and wont be rushed.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Roadworthy.
Registered.
Now able to be spotted around brissy southside.
Phase 1 complete muahahaha
Taz

Post by Taz »

Took the rear 1/4 windows out and cleaned out all the s**t that a previous owner put in there. Like the stuff on a door plastic sheet to stick it to the door, but much worse as it was in the weather. Suffice to say, 2 hours and 10L of petrol got it all out and is now looking better. Just gotta find some louvers with the mounting nubs still intact..
Plugged the speedo cable in and fixed up a few things - brake lights still dont work (parkers do) and both volt and water temp gauges dont either, i dont like half the wiring anyway so ill probably just pay a lekky to get it all running and tidy it up a bit. Running sweet apart from the fuel pump dying on me the other day ($180 later). Keen for the next cruise to come!
Taz

Post by Taz »

Rear disc conversion arrived today (big thanks to Rally_2.6LC and his delivery driver).
Everything needed to convert it, and taken from an LC so should bolt straight up to mine.
Just need to swap out all the bushes to poly, new leaf spring seat rubbers, sand blast it all down and give it a nice fresh coat of black. Curious how long it will last standing up to the engine conversion....
Taz

Post by Taz »

MOAR updates.
Brake light switch was cactus. Plastic rod was worn down flush to the thread :$
Had a look around at work and an AE82 brake light switch fits straight in no mods required. So thats a nice bonus fixing that for free.
All thats left is to get her detailed tomorrow ready for the cruise on Sunday up mount tambourine.
Taz

Post by Taz »

So i change my mind more often than my underwear it seems.
It seems i have access to a very cheap FG turbo wreck (which means any and everything i need to do a conversion) and im seriously considering it. Would save probably tens of thousands in the long run over a worked 4g64 to get the same power.
So far the problems i have to get over before taking it any further is making sure itll fit, and having a slight shot in hell of getting it plated, however unlikely. Might just have to have a track car there will see.
Dont suppose anyone else has even given this a thought or looked at making it work?
Thoughts on this insanity?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Soooooo.....u wanna shove a DOHC inline 6 into an LC?

I personally think it will be more economical to find big power out of the 4G64......and finding/fitting the drive line to handle it
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Taz

Post by Taz »

yep pretty much. stock barra turbo makes 270kw, which is very easily wound up. can use stock everything from an FG instead of trying to source very obscure aftermarket this and that to maybe hold down a big power 64t. just makes more sense to me.
no replacement for displacement right?
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Wouldn't it be too long? Also transmission would be an issue. The trans tunnel isn't that big.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Im expecting to 'massage' the tunnel lol, and im not sure, measured everything up and will check tomorrow, but there is a lot of room in there when you relocate everything....
Taz

Post by Taz »

barra motor is exactly 80cm long, my absolute max room is 80cm in the bay.
After speaking to the fab guy its easier if i just turf the idea now.
Todays thought was a 13b instead, as we have an rx8 motor at work or alljap has a freshly race rebuilt series 5 motor/box/microtech etc but a bit rich for my taste right now.
Might just stick with the 4g64 anyway who knows, depends how my mood is when the wallet is full.
For now though, barra motor idea is off the shelf.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Yeah I didn't think it was an entirely feasible option......without extensive fabrication.

I like the 4G64 idea...........

I'd like to see a DOHC 2L engine from a Chrysler Neon in one of these ol' girls........

Imagine popping the bonnet on a near 40 Y/O Chrysler to find a rather modern Chrysler 4cylinder motor inside the engine bay
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Taz

Post by Taz »

So pretty sure i just purchased an FC rx7 today. Looks like the lancer will be getting a 13b bridgeport turbo in after all. Lol
Taz

Post by Taz »

Got a special delivery today.
Hopefully have enough time to get the engine n box out next weekend and see how good/bad it is under all that.

Anyone interested in a rolling FC shell for a project? lol...
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thought I'd chime in an update it's been a while.
I'm since now a father of 2 so my time schedule has really been taken up lately with taking care of the babies.
I've Talked to many friend family and people such as engineers, fabricators etc and have decided I'm keeping the fc rx7 as my mental race car and giving the lc an upgrade still but something a little more simple. Have a sigma motor and am currently savingup for a sigma turbo kit off of stealth and iI'll leave it at that. Pulled apart the rear disc brake conversion I got and found its a welded diff, and everything interior wise is good but due to sitting for so long will need a refurb on the outside. I'll sandblast and paint the diff and centre and axels. New pads rotors seals and fluid. Refurb the callipers. Possibly hand brake lines or the boots at the very least.
Not much happening before Christmas, probably geta little more stuck in to it next year.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Ignition barrel decided to give no warning and fail today. Running a flathead in the pigtail to get me home today lol.
I have a spare ignition but no key for it. I'mjjust going to wire in a kill switch/pushstart button
Since last post I've done a full stereo install with Boston acoustics all round and a 1200w infinity sub. Custom fit the head unit into the account panel, wasn't keen on running it through the glove box or hacking the centre console to bits and have it look crap evertime I look at it looks stock where it is very neat install. Where the radio was cut out of my centre console I put in a single din pocket. Also put in some 05wrx seats on the factory rails. Carby was rebuilt last weekend. Second throat wasn't working so it's made a huge difference in performance . can't wait to get the sigma turbo in. .
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

throw some pics up mate
Taz

Post by Taz »

No pc atm to do so. Cbf doing it on the mobile. Just have to wait a few weeks till I get another pc
Taz

Post by Taz »

Killswitch and push start wired in today. Electronic dizzy is going in tomorrow and fire extinguisher mounted properly on passenger seat rail.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Here you go..A Sigma fitted with a turbo charged falcon 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NtTGR1yx8
Taz

Post by Taz »

Long roadtrip down to newcastle this weekend to pick up a 4g54+box. Lucky it came with a good condition box too as it turns out to be a wideblock.
Looks a bit ugly on the outside but under the rocker/sump looks very well kept. Bit of a spitshine and a turbo bolt on and she'll be right.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Good stuff mate , so when is the conversion going down?
What are your plans
Btw I have a heap of wideblock parts too
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

Few months off yet i think. In the middle of buying an RVR as the compromise car off a friend which needs a little work but for the price is a bargain, which means this isnt going to be the daily anymore which is kinda a relief.
I was going to chuck it in and then turbo it but a few things have made me reconsider and ill be putting the turbo on it first then putting it in
might eventually go injected but for now itll be stock carby turbo.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Tore down the outside of the 54 today and gave it a bit of a clean up to see whats under all the crap. Very pleased with it tbh. Seller wasnt lying about the reco'd head - looks like its done a startup and test drive and taken out...
Everything is there but unfortunately it was left out in the weather so most of it needs to be blasted or replaced. While the motor was sealed off very well not much care was taken for the outside so ill need to replace things like alternator, starter, sandblast the metal brackets and paint them etc but all things i should probably do anyway. Block came up pretty nice - few pics of it before and after. I will be painting the block a matte red as i have a can of VHF header paint in the garage and its a nice color for a block. Then ill pop some new welch plugs in and itll look and drive mint *touch wood*

Before

post a picture
image url
adult image upload

After a few hours, couple of cans of carby cleaner, some 91, a wire brush set and some elbow grease.

adult photo sharing
image hosting free no registration

And the clean AF head. Very happy with it. Not even a slight timing slap, new main seals and all.

upload gif

Unless i need to crack it open to prepare it for 15psi, ill be leaving it as is together until i decide to wind it up some more and go EFI.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Nice work , you realize that a sigma turbo kit is astron 1 , but can be modded to suit astron 2
I still reckon you should go efi straight up
And are you fitting a oil drain to the sump , while its on the stand ?
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

As the curious person i am i decided to find out what the engine number tells me.
Starting with M572V ive established that its a 1987 manual unleaded engine.
I was not completely sure on what the motor originally came out of as i was told it was out of a sigma, and when arrived to pick it up was told by the father (as he was overseas) that it was pulled from the L200 in the shed he pointed at. Being sigmas ceased early 87 i was curious if it was indeed one of the few produced in that year or perhaps it is out of a pajero? Are there any other cast markings in the block that might possibly tell me this or would i have to look up the full engine number in the mitsi database to find out?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Picked up a complete TP magna complete EFI conversion kit from work today, so i now have the head and everything that attaches to the head ready. Stealth has an upper manifold already modded and T04 exhaust manifold to suit to all i need is to buy a haltech and turbo, FMIC and a few little fiddly things. Seeing as now im changing heads, ill be putting a timing kit and VRS kit through it while im there.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Driving home from work today and the slight overheating problem i had turned into a faulty radiator cap and/or radiator and was on the side of the road for 20min waiting for it to cool down. Only got up to about 95ish deg on the temp gauge but its never budged past 80 and when checked at home can see its started to seep out of the top core/cap. Was planning to upgrade with the 4g54 in anyway so i guess that just gets bumped up.
Going to a 3 core aluminium radiator and thermo fans and it seems theres nothing really out there that fits off the shelf i can find on ebay less a standard 19x20 inch no name brand 2 core which i want to try and avoid. Ive emailed a few people and hopefully they can either make me something or find something that can fit. I have an absolute width of 630mm between the chassis rails and supra/chevy v8/sr20 S chassis radiators are all about 660mm unfortunately =(
Also have a max height of 540mm give or take from top of panhard housings to bonnet, and while i dont want to go that big it seems height isnt the issue, just that width. So itll be interesting what they come back with if it is an off the shelf for another car if any other LC owners need to replace/upgrade.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

I bought a generic aluminium EJ EJ Holden 3 core radiator. had to make my own mounting brackets and i did cut up a bit of the radiator support. Have not had any over heating problems yet and I've had it running for almost 2 years now with the 4g63.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... 6&_sacat=0