Maverick

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
stealth

Re: Maverick

Post by stealth »

5 stud front is easy as buyinga hop stoppers big brake kit
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

I did contact them at one point about a kit but they dont have something off the shelf and i would need to send front hub/strut/LCA etc and even recommended sending a wheel. being we are up here and theyre not 2min down the road it just seemed like too big a hassle at the time. Might have no other easy alternative now though...dont really want to start having to do full custom front suspension
stealth

Post by stealth »

Thay do have a of the shelf kit to suit sigma ,so should fit straight on ,no hassles
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well s**t ay. Wonder why they are telling me i need samples as they dont have anything - you would think they know i can throw a sigma kit straight on..
Any specific model of sigma i need to ask for when i contact them again? Probably something late like a GK?
Also got the head on properly today, all torqued up to spec. Intake and exhaust gaskets are a good fit. Hope to get sump cleaned up and put in, front and rear mains and few other small gaskets. need to buy the timing chain kit/balance shaft delete next so i can complete engine side though.
Cheers
Taz

Post by Taz »

Also noticed i have an M5 head
Taz

Post by Taz »

Also just noticed that the rocker cover fouls on the head studs, so will need to be modified to suit. Luckily it looks like the rear left baffle plate (i think) is fouling, simply cutting it out or drilling a hole large enough for the stud top to fit through should fix it - only just fouls about a cm from bolting down and the rest of the head is fine.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Rocker and sump gaskets are different. Rocker obviously as I have an efi head from a magna but I'm surprised the sump gasket is different. Slightly bigger. Same bolt pattern just goes out one more bolt to the side so the gasket sits on the outside flat edge instead of on. All others are fitting so far which is good.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Sounds like you got a wide block sump gasket ,and just get a price from hop stoppers and we will go from there
Heres this mornings progress

You need to get your remote oil filter set up in place so we can sort the turbo manifold
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

I'll make that the next on the list to buy then.
Just went into repco. So payen and another company list my gasket, which is the one I currently have that's wrong. Permaseal list the same gasket as a crossover number but the one I need. So there's 2 different gaskets for the same car apparently. Mine is identifiable mostly by the 1 or 2 bolt hold on the diagonal before the straight edge. I have only 1 hole where as the ones listed and I have are 2. Anyone else had this problem.? Slightly narrower sump but still wideblock..
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I'm sure at hopper stoppers just mention Gh sigma, but I think u need GH struts to use the hopper stopper kit, I don't think they have one to suit lancer struts
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Taz

Post by Taz »

So pretty sure i have a 1988 TN magna block.
Engine number gives me TN, and looking at sump gaskets it seems that magna is the gasket that looks like mine, not the triton/sigma etc, coupled with the fact when stealth was around last mentioned that somethign he spotted looked like something out of a magna...guess he is a good spot...
Doesnt change anything - just interesting to know its not a sigma block as i was originally told. Not sure what else is different apart from the sump bing slightly thinner.
llgc

Post by llgc »

I have a gasket here that was too narrow for my wideblock, if you measure where the sump rails are closest together this gasket is 225mm across (centre of bolt hole to centre of bolt hole. I just assumed it was for a narrowblock but maybe its not? If you can use it just come and grab it from chermside
Taz

Post by Taz »

Hey dude.
Yep thats the one, 225ml exactly. Apparently magna wideblocks have a slightly smaller sump than the RWD equivelants.
Ill PM you.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Picked up the correct sump gasket of llgc tonight - legend.
Hopefully get that on this weekend and finish putting the seal kit through it.
Have pretty much decided a hilux rear end with BA falcon solid diff brake setup is the way to go. 298mm rear rotor that will JUST sit inside a 15 inch wheel which is ideal.
Hopefully have enough time to pull both out at work tomorrow and see how well/easy theyll go together...hoping just redrilling the backing plate to fit and jamming everything on and relocating leaf spring mounts on the diff is all i need to do. Soon find out. Got a 4.3 LSD diff to go into it - which with the supra box will put it at about 2950 rpm in 5th on the highway, and a theoretical top speed of 225km (however highly unlikely to reach that with the gearboxes final drive)
Taz

Post by Taz »

Got some work today figuring the rear diff conundrum out.
I was hoping that a BF falcon solid rear disc assembly can be made to fit over a hilux diff, but the internal drum handbrake fouls on the hilux axle by 1mm or so. This puts me back to making a backing plate and getting a caliper to suit a rotor (preferrably a BA/F falcon as they are the biggest that will fit under a 15 inch wheel, same stud pattern and upgraded rotors are off the shelf like a stock one.)
This has gotten me looking elsewhere as i refuse to pay around 900 for a disc conversion kit that is half custom and wont be able to walk into a store and order a replacement rotor etc.
Ive emailed off a few machine shops and done some googling to get some prices on things made and things to fit if at all. Just devo that my initial idea is flunked by a few mm.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well.....it seems i should of done some real homework before coming up with all these silly ideas!
Ive gotten onto a mob called designfab from a friends recommendation and sent them away an email since the last post.
Well they have already gotten back to me and they make a bolt on backing plate/bracket. This will make GQ patrol discs slip on (315mm - bigger than the 298mm that the falcons run) and Subaru calipers (which we should have at work) and just get a matching master to suit disc rear and hey presto, bolt on kit for under 200ish bucks, which should bring the hilux LSD disc rear end under 500 to install....bargain. This is all working out better than i expected...
And some people want 900+ for essentially the same thing..
Taz

Post by Taz »

And im a d**khead for not noticing earlier GQ patrol discs....as in 6 stud....as in im doing 5 stud.
So much for that, they dont do a 5 stud. Id just re drill the rotors, but now a friend has piped up and said he can lend me the brackets for a hilux disc conversion to BA rotors/R31 calipers to get them copied and just do it that way. Probably easier than re drilling rotors every time and getting performance pads for an L series subaru over R31.
Knowing me this will probably change again before it happens but at least my incoherent ramblings are confined to my thread...
Taz

Post by Taz »

Diff is now home waiting to be modded to fit.
Took stock booster/master out to see whats what and its gonna fit perfect, even using the stock booster spacer on the inside of the firewall as a clamp on the other side.

Old Booster

New Booster with spacer - BA/F falcon booster

Side by side. Bit of a side difference...

Going to have to change pedal boxes though. Was considering it highly but now its an excuse. Probably a generic floor mounted race pedal box to suit. See what happens.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Lined up a new PWR cooler and a microtech LT10-s
Got to get my ass together and strip out the unnecessary interior pieces. Get this motor sorted. Get the money for the box sorted. Put this hilux diff in etc.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Been slack lately. Lot of other commitments including twin babies but getting another push of motivation lately.
Took out column/pedal box and see what needs to be done to fit booster in. Thinking best way is to cut out a section of the firewall where booster mounts and make it a removable panel that bolts from the inside, because as it stands now the booster will fit like a glove but cant get to where it needs to be as it fouls on the shock tower. Will have to speak more to someone who will know a bit more about structural integrity etc to find out if its the best bet *looks at stealth*
Bypass pipe is sand blasted and on the block. Sorting little interior pieces out here and there when i get a moment like stereo removal. Unnecessary weight. Also tossing whether i should throw in power steering or not when the rack goes in. Not a huge fan of power steering but realistically would probably be best. Hopefully more updates soon
Taz

Post by Taz »

Scored a free turbo blanket and radiator yesterday arvo. 3 row from a 120Y, spent 5min elongating a couple of mounting holes slightly and its a direct bolt in, core size is literally perfect for opening in support panel, outlets are in the right places, couldnt be happier for free.
So possibly an upgrade choice for those with an LC as it essentially bolts in, with only thing needed is a bottom rad hose by the looks as outlet faces the chassis rail. Should be more than enough room for a slime line thermo fan if i take the studs out the pump pulley.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Picked up the PWR cooler tonight. Boy another home run with fitment. perfect size. Brand new. bought at well below cost price let alone retail.
As seen in pics i cant mount it sitting flush on bottom which i was hoping for (as this thing is pretty damn heavy) but i can mount it flush top-side and will have just enough clearance i dont have to modify anything. I'll simply drill 2 holes out the top support and 2 bolts running down to mounting points already in cooler, make a little bracket to come up from bottom horizontal bar to support the weight and bolt to bottom and we are laughing. Looks like i might be able to sneak the pipes through the support wall with minimal cutting too using existing holes. couldnt be happier. Cant wait to get inlet back and get started into the meat of the turbo manifold so i can get this big sucker mounted and start playing around with more important stuff now that i will know what room im working with on the hot side.

Taz

Post by Taz »

Had to lower cooler about 2cm as the bonnet catch was fouling on top of cooler once everything was all together, as well as the grille mounting tabs, nothing a couple of washers and a longer bolt through the top didnt fix. Just need to make a bracket for the bottom. Thinking a staple style bracket that bolts to bottom of cooler in existing threads, and nutsert a thread into the bottom of the support and bolt it down. Simple, cheap and removable.
Decided on FMIC piping route. Measured up and have just enough room to sneak them behind the headlights, which saves me cutting the rad support to fit through the passenger side hole slightly. Puts the pipe in a more desirable spot for hot/cold side anyway so stoked i yet again dont have to start chopping or modifying the body. Cant wait to get inlet back and mock up cold side and get started on turbo manifold. Once i get the oil cooler i can bolt the front back on and get all that sorted. Then move onto getting this hilux diff in and getting drivetrain under control so i dont have to hold the engine up with a putty container anymore lmao